or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Steve Jobs: iPad to offer Word support, $10 eBooks, 6 days of music
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs: iPad to offer Word support, $10 eBooks, 6 days of music

post #1 of 160
Thread Starter 
Apple co-founder Steve Jobs revealed after Wednesday's iPad unveiling that the device will offer "the same" prices on e-books as Amazon's Kindle, the Pages app can export documents in Microsoft Word format, and it will offer nearly 6 days of continuous music playback.

The conversation between Walt Mossberg, of The Wall Street Journal, and Jobs was captured on video by BoomTown's Kara Swisher. Mossberg asked Jobs why customers would want to purchase books for the iPad, when they were rumored to cost between $13 and $15 while Amazon charges $9.99. Jobs responded by saying, "the prices will be the same."

"Publishers are actually withholding their books from Amazon, because they're not happy with it," Jobs added. The comment carried a different tone from his keynote, when Jobs complimented Amazon for pioneering the e-book market with the Kindle.

Mossberg also asked Jobs if he should write his review of the iPad in the Pages application, which will cost $9.99 in the App Store. The journalist said he would need to save it as a Microsoft Word document, though, because his editors "don't know anything about Pages."

Jobs told Mossberg that the mobile version of Pages would allow him to save the file as a Microsoft Word document.

"Write it in Pages, you could make a Word version and send it to your editors," Jobs said.

Mossberg also inquired about battery life on the iPad, and Jobs revealed the device will offer "140-something hours" of continuous music playback with the screen off, or nearly six days.

"It's all about the display," the Apple co-founder said of battery life. "Our chips don't use hardly any power."

As for the device's uptime when reading e-books, Jobs said he believes the 10 hours provided will be more than enough for most users. He discredited Mossberg's suggestion that a backlit LCD display, versus the e-ink on the Amazon Kindle, produces a "battery cost."

"You know, there isn't," Jobs said. "Because you just end up plugging it in. You end up docking it or whatever you're going to do with it. It's not a big deal. Ten hours is a long time. Because you're not going to read for 10 hours."



The iPad has a 9.7-inch LCD display that features IPS technology. The Hitachi-developed feature allows improved viewing angles and superior color reproductions on screens.

Later in the video, Mossberg also revealed that Jobs personally told him that the iPad would carry a price under $1,000. The statement suggests that the Apple CEO confirmed the existence of the device to Mossberg before it was formally announced Wednesday.

While the Journal reporter had assumed that the device would cost $999, Apple revealed Wednesday that the starting price of the iPad will be $499, with the most expensive model costing $829.
post #2 of 160
Good. I completely agree that compatibility with Word is necessary. Although this may not be direct indication of it, it still goes toward catering toward the business crowd. It has to if the iPad is to be success in the long run. I agree with the following artilce's message concerning the need to shape the iPad into a business machine (or at least make it more attractive to business customers):
post #3 of 160
This thing is beginning to sound more and more interesting.
post #4 of 160
I would buy iPad if there was a Microsoft Word app. Though others may disagree, i am very tempted to fulfill the role of Desktop computer with iPad. My current Dell from 2003 belongs in a Housing Works or Salvation Army.
post #5 of 160
6 days of music? I'd say this is a slight bump from the 24 hour iPhone/music battery ability.
post #6 of 160
Jobs wasn't implying that Apple's eBooks would be $10, he was implying that the Kindle eBooks were going to go up in price.
post #7 of 160
They learned lessons all right from what Bergermeister's poll showed them.
P.S. BTW, I can hardly imagine an editor who would agree to receive MS Word document.
P.P.S. I'd be hugely obliged to Steve, if he explained to that ummm... interviewer how to physically export created documents (DOC, PDF, "whatever") from iPad...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #8 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Jobs wasn't implying that Apple's eBooks would be $10, he was implying that the Kindle eBooks were going to go up in price.

Absolutely correct.
post #9 of 160
It is it me (probably) or is the discussion about the iWork software getting short-shrift? I was absolutely amazed at the interface of these programs, particularly Keynote. How natural is it to have once taken a legal pad or other pad of paper and start "storyboarding" a presentation that you later had to write up on a computer? The potential is amazing and very impressive for what was demoed.

At the expense of sounding ideological, can your netbook do that? In that manner? Isn't that what we're really looking at here? You can never satisfy everyone, but the implications that you're creating something that you later polish on a desktop (or even laptop on your desk) seems far beyond the accepted practice that a tablet computer *must* have a full-fledged desktop OS, replete with menu bars and other such stuff.
post #10 of 160
This surprises anyone? Pages users already know that it saves as Word documents. It always has.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #11 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This thing is beginning to sound more and more interesting.

"beginning to?"

Sent you private message.
post #12 of 160
"The journalist said he would need to save it as a Microsoft Word document, though, because his editors "don't know anything about Pages.""

Why does the pages file format even exist? Why couldn't Apple (who supposedly love open standards) have used ODF? Or at least have made pages a simple wrapper for ODF. You can't even export in ODF. Almost no one uses Pages and it's not compatible with any other program.
post #13 of 160
Didn't Steve state that the 10-hour battery life was with Wi-Fi on? If so, then that's pretty good. I fully expected the iPod add to run for considerably longer.
post #14 of 160
"Our chips don't use hardly any power."

Means it uses a lot of power.

Stevo needs to improve his english.
post #15 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I would buy iPad if there was a Microsoft Word app. Though others may disagree, i am very tempted to fulfill the role of Desktop computer with iPad. My current Dell from 2003 belongs in a Housing Works or Salvation Army.


Or you could get pages for 10 bucks and use that to create word docs
post #16 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traqqer7777 View Post

Good. I completely agree that compatibility with Word is necessary. Although this may not be direct indication of it, it still goes toward catering toward the business crowd. It has to if the iPad is to be success in the long run. I agree with the following artilce's message concerning the need to shape the iPad into a business machine (or at least make it more attractive to business customers):

I thought iPhones already can handle Word and Excel?
Anyway, Excel will be next no doubt.
post #17 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I would buy iPad if there was a Microsoft Word app. Though others may disagree, i am very tempted to fulfill the role of Desktop computer with iPad. My current Dell from 2003 belongs in a Housing Works or Salvation Army.

As an accountant and I am sure for millions of other business people- no Excel app - 100%, NO deal.
post #18 of 160
Sorry Steve, I have over 25 days of continuous music, which would leave me little room for anything else on the iPad "thing".

Then I have to pay for iWork, when I already have OpenOffice.


So we see what's going on, your locking the machine down so you can sell your programs.

Will you allow a version of the free Open Office to appear on the App Store?
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #19 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I thought iPhones already can handle Word and Excel?
Anyway, Excel will be next no doubt.

Numbers files can import XLS files, and can also be saved/exported as such (as Keynote can PPT). I imagine these would be obvious functionalities.
post #20 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Will you allow a version of the free Open Office to appear on the App Store?

Is there any evidence that it has been blocked by the App Store? Or is it that they've not written an App yet?
post #21 of 160
You didn't know iWork exports Word Excel and PowerPoint?

Really?
post #22 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This thing is beginning to sound more and more interesting.

What was in this article or video that makes it more interesting?
post #23 of 160
You have the info wrong. He never said ebook would be $10, he said it would be the same as amazon, and since publishers are unhappy with the cheapness of amazon, amazon will probably go up to match ipad pricing whicj will be 12.99 to 14.99. So assume it will be 9.99 as that is not what he said.

Kalel the Jedi
post #24 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Sorry Steve, I have over 25 days of continuous music, which would leave me little room for anything else on the iPad "thing".

Then I have to pay for iWork, when I already have OpenOffice.


So we see what's going on, your locking the machine down so you can sell your programs.

Will you allow a version of the free Open Office to appear on the App Store?

So because you have a huge dump of MP3s that won't all fit, it's no good. OK.

And because you have a free piece of software on your main computer, you shouldn;t have to pay a mere $10 for a new one on a new device?

As for OO appearing on the phone, if there is a developer willing to port it and swallow down the costs (in time, mainly, as well as developer program fees etc) and put it in for approval, I cant see any way it won't be approved. There are plenty iPhone apps that do MS Office editing already in the store.

Any more gripes you need out of your system? We're here to help...
post #25 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I would buy iPad if there was a Microsoft Word app. Though others may disagree, i am very tempted to fulfill the role of Desktop computer with iPad. My current Dell from 2003 belongs in a Housing Works or Salvation Army.


Wait, it's not wise to jump on a early adopter machine like the iPad is not knowing what software will run on the device and the hidden costs and drawbacks.

If you want a better transition machine, get a Mac Mini and a KVM switch, then you can use your old monitor and keyboard and still use the Dell.

Keep the Dell of the internet as much as possible and use the Mac online instead for security.

After awhile you'll see and learn which is best for you, learn programs etc.

You might even install Bootcamp and use your old Windows version (if possible) on the Mac Mini.

If you need a laptop, a MacBook Pro is a excellent machine, but you might want to look at getting the matte screen if you take it places outside your primary. Because the shiny screen is quite hard to see unless you can control the environment.

Mac's are good machines, reliable, but it takes a while for Windows users to adjust to another operating system.

If your looking for a cheap, reliable and secure netbook, the Dell Mini 10v with Ubuntu is great.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #26 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I would buy iPad if there was a Microsoft Word app. Though others may disagree, i am very tempted to fulfill the role of Desktop computer with iPad. My current Dell from 2003 belongs in a Housing Works or Salvation Army.

Who knows Microsoft may port Word to the tablet. They already have a Mac version which uses many of the same APIs.
post #27 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

You didn't know iWork exports Word Excel and PowerPoint?

Really?

It was posted right after the keynote that it will natively view DOX, DOCX, PPT and XLS files. Perhaps before Mossberg would have had time to see it but certainly not before some posters here started crying foul.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #28 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Or you could get pages for 10 bucks and use that to create word docs

How well do fonts and formatting transfer over? I've found that even Office on Windows to Office for mac has had some fonts that are not recognized. I think I was using Office 2003 on Windows and 2004 for mac at the time.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #29 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is there any evidence that it has been blocked by the App Store? Or is it that they've not written an App yet?



Obviously Steve will have to approve the free OpenOffice being on the App Store before they can write a version.

And Steve may not approve, as it will be in competition to his paid apps, iWork.

Thus the question remains:

Will Steve allow a free version of OpenOffice to appear on the App Store?

Will Steve allow ANY apps on the App Store that are in competition with his products?
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #30 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

So because you have a huge dump of MP3s that won't all fit, it's no good. OK.

And because you have a free piece of software on your main computer, you shouldn;t have to pay a mere $10 for a new one on a new device?

As for OO appearing on the phone, if there is a developer willing to port it and swallow down the costs (in time, mainly, as well as developer program fees etc) and put it in for approval, I cant see any way it won't be approved. There are plenty iPhone apps that do MS Office editing already in the store.

Any more gripes you need out of your system? We're here to help...

Just add him to your ignore list and move on, he can't be reasoned with.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #31 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

How well do fonts and formatting transfer over? I've found that even Office on Windows to Office for mac has had some fonts that are not recognized. I think I was using Office 2003 on Windows and 2004 for mac at the time.

You have answered your own question. Compatibility is mainly an illusion, even between versions of Word on the same platform.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #32 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

"The journalist said he would need to save it as a Microsoft Word document, though, because his editors "don't know anything about Pages.""

Why does the pages file format even exist? Why couldn't Apple (who supposedly love open standards) have used ODF? Or at least have made pages a simple wrapper for ODF. You can't even export in ODF. Almost no one uses Pages and it's not compatible with any other program.

I have literally no proof of this, and I am quite possibly completely off base here, but the first thing that popped into my mind when reading your comment is that this sounds like a facet of a deal with Microsoft. If Apple and Microsoft worked out a deal to bring Microsoft software (Office) to the Mac, there very well could have been concessions. One of those concessions may have been the absence of ODF support in iWork. I don't know. I use iWork frequently and haven't had any problems doing what I wanted with it. You did mention that, "Almost no one uses Pages and it's not compatible with any other program." If one were working on sensitive material, perhaps Pages is a natural choice because the format isn't readable by the vast majority of Word Processors.

It stands to reason that the Microsoft MBU will be working very hard with the new SDK to get Office onto the iPad, as this will likely produce a new stream of revenue for them. Many have already commented on this thread that they'd need at least some parts of Office on the iPad for them to be able to use it in the business world. I'm sure Apple is going to run with this as it's a relatively open market right now and it's theirs for the taking if they play their cards right. Steve said the future is mobile. It's obviously something that Apple is concentrating on with a substantial amount of resources.

I'm not sure that I'll get the 3G version, as WiFi is prevalent in my area. I was hoping for a larger option than 64GB internal storage. I'd have to seriously reduce the amount of pictures I add from iPhoto onto the iPad unless there's compression (which wasn't mentioned) like that used on the iPhone. Hopefully the 128GB SSD's will drop in price soon and we'll be able to get them as an upgrade option.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
post #33 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

As an accountant and I am sure for millions of other business people- no Excel app - 100%, NO deal.

I doubt anyone is expecting to use this for major accounting purposes. But for field use it would more than serve, as Numbers is compatible with Excel, and has a significant subset of the formulas. I know people who use it happily for their small businesses.
post #34 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

As an accountant and I am sure for millions of other business people- no Excel app - 100%, NO deal.


Exactly, these people buy the hardware > that runs the software > that runs the files everyone else uses > because their income depends upon it.

Question is of course if Steve will allow Excel on the iPad as it's in competition with iWork.

Then again Steve does sell Excel with new Mac's pre-installed.

But I don't think he will allow the free OpenOffice on the App Store though.

I only use a spreadsheet rarely, no use spending even $10 for one and have to pay for upgrades too.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #35 of 160
"The iPad has a 9.7-inch LCD display that features IPS technology. The Hitachi-developed feature allows improved viewing angles and superior color reproductions on screens."

You also fail to mention that IPS uses a LOT more power than other LCD options.
post #36 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

How well do fonts and formatting transfer over? I've found that even Office on Windows to Office for mac has had some fonts that are not recognized. I think I was using Office 2003 on Windows and 2004 for mac at the time.

Jebus probably not that well considering that Microsoft doesn't keep compatibility well between different version of office even running on windows
post #37 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Wait, it's not wise to jump on a early adopter machine like the iPad is not knowing what software will run on the device and the hidden costs and drawbacks.

If you want a better transition machine, get a Mac Mini and a KVM switch, then you can use your old monitor and keyboard and still use the Dell.

Keep the Dell of the internet as much as possible and use the Mac online instead for security.

After awhile you'll see and learn which is best for you, learn programs etc.

You might even install Bootcamp and use your old Windows version (if possible) on the Mac Mini.

If you need a laptop, a MacBook Pro is a excellent machine, but you might want to look at getting the matte screen if you take it places outside your primary. Because the shiny screen is quite hard to see unless you can control the environment.

Mac's are good machines, reliable, but it takes a while for Windows users to adjust to another operating system.

If your looking for a cheap, reliable and secure netbook, the Dell Mini 10v with Ubuntu is great.

It depends on why you're buying it. For most people the 140,000 apps will be enough of a reason, as will their music, Tv shows, books, magazines etc.

If you need something that not in the App Store yet, then wait.

I'm willing to bet that we're going to see some tremendous software for this, as well as adapters for printers, scanners and other stuff.

This will be the $500 computer that Apple said they couldn't make. And it may get a bit cheaper next year.
post #38 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I doubt anyone is expecting to use this for major accounting purposes. But for field use it would more than serve, as Numbers is compatible with Excel, and has a significant subset of the formulas. I know people who use it happily for their small businesses.


Yes for major work it's best to go with a Excel machine as the formatting has issues transferring over and Microsoft can upset the apple cart before Apple has a chance to create a work around.

But for basic stuff it can be transferred over and tweaked, just like OpenOffice can also do Excel files.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #39 of 160
I've been using Pages for all of my business word processing since version 1.0, and never had a "compatibility" problem. It might require slightly more forethought, but it's certainly not a show-stopper, and well worth the effort to be using the tool you prefer. I'm a bit mystified by Mossberg's take on this. Why is he even using a word processor for his columns, when a simple text editor would fully suffice? His employer would never be the wiser.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #40 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I've been using Pages for all of my business word processing since version 1.0, and never had a "compatibility" problem.

Same here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Steve Jobs: iPad to offer Word support, $10 eBooks, 6 days of music