or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Best remark about iPad so far...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best remark about iPad so far... - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Multi-tasking would be useful on iPad. Perhaps it will come in June with the next Rev of iPhone OS. Using existing wireless Apple keyboards would be great.

The touch screen technology with feedback may not be ready for prime time. Video over 3G for the iPad screen would take too much bandwidth. These are good features to come later. My kids want their iPAD for reading books, do homework (web based homeworks), play games and of course watch videos.

iPAD fits well with the rest of Apple products and extends the iPhone platform. More features will come later.

I can understand Nokia, Nintendo and Microsoft being upset. They'll criticize now and will rush to come up with copies asap.
post #42 of 83
.........

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #43 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

There is something that just doesn't add up about the iPad.. supposedly Jobs has been working on this for 10 years.. yet how much work does this iPad require when you consider all they did was scale up the iPhone? It makes no sense... The only answer seems to be that this isn't Jobs tablet. So when will we get it?

Or the iPhone is a scaled down iPad. There was talk a couple of years ago that the tablet was interrupted so that its components could become the base for the iPhone. Therefore it is no surprise that the iPad resembles an iPhone. It is its daddy.

As far as the rest of your argument, you're arguing for arguments sake you are making no points. What you need to do is to look at the functions being performed. If you need it to write code, it's not for you. Likewise if you need it to manage a network or to manage a research project, you don't need it either. But is you just want to surf the web, read/send email and privately watch a TV show or movie, it may just be the device for you. Most people out there (and they have never heard of AppleInsider) fall into that last category. This is the device that Apple has generated for that group. The ones that are afraid of computers and because of that fear do not explore their uses are the ones the iPad is created for.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #44 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

Then you are deluding yourself.. because believe it or not I get it more than you do.

But I know mac zealots are really really good at deluding themselves... which is why Jobs can put sh!t out in a sack and the devoted koolaid drinkers will buy it up.

Look at all the tools that bought that ridiculous iPhone. The most useless device ever made. haha

Now he has you buying it again for what you should have gotten when you first paid for it.

I think I have just stumbled on to how Jobs is so successful and why his products seem so advanced. He has figured out how to sell everything to his customers twice(At least)! And this way he can take the extra money and dump it into R&D

Now I remember why I stop posting at Apple Insider or any Mac forums for long periods at a time. it has something to do with uber geeks who think that they know better than those who work at Apple on how to build Apple products and design their software and hardware and they will not stop until they get their way on a thread which btw, won't change Apple's mind one bit.

Articulated Arm. I got an iMac, Macbook Pro 2006 , an iPhone and iPod Touch. . Let me tell you something, I got a lot of medical apps on both the Touch and the iPhone and I found that while they are handy, the small size of the iPhone and the Touch can be a hindrance when reading notes. If you ever tried Epocrates , it becomes a bother when you have to consistently enlarge the text to clearly read what on the iPhone display. An iPad can deal with multimedia and text better than the iPhone or Touch because of the size alone and that is a big advantage in the health industry. There are industries and people that would find the iPad a helpful tool for their work . It just so happen that you are not one them.

Again I repeat myself, without the sales numbers, you can scream all you want and accuse us of being Mac Zealots , Jobs Kool Aid drinkers and tools because at the end , the customers and the market will decide from the end of March 2010 to March 2011 on how the first generation iPad fared in the real world . It may succeed beyond our wildest expectations , it may shake the market up or it will fail miserably or it might be a so so product. There are more things that are more important than criticizing the unreleased iPad you have no intention of owning.
post #45 of 83
A perfect response. Thank you.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #46 of 83
Well, back on topic...

Here's the cleverest (most clever) bit I've found regarding the iPad so far:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #47 of 83
One killer app yet to come for the iPad. Back to my mac/remote desktop.

file transfer via idisk, etc.

Boom.
post #48 of 83
Apple's move for ages now has been to abstract as much of the file system away as is possible so that users interact with applications which, in turn, deal with the files so the user doesn't have to (e.g. iPhoto, iTunes). The iPhone and iPod Touch abstracted the file system away almost completelyusers never *have* to deal with files on them at all. Even when someone emails me a Word document and I open it I have no idea where that file is, nor do I care.

Now, certainly, allowing document creation via iWork necessitates some dealing with files, but I imagine that moving files around will be absolutely minimal. My point is that when the universe is moving toward not dealing with files at all, I just don't see file transfer as a high priority. Apparently, when you plug the iPad in it mounts as a shared volume. I don't think we'll need much more than that and a cloud storage app like dropbox.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #49 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Apple's move for ages now has been to abstract as much of the file system away as is possible so that users interact with applications which, in turn, deal with the files so the user doesn't have to (e.g. iPhoto, iTunes). The iPhone and iPod Touch abstracted the file system away almost completelyusers never *have* to deal with files on them at all. Even when someone emails me a Word document and I open it I have no idea where that file is, nor do I care.

Now, certainly, allowing document creation via iWork necessitates some dealing with files, but I imagine that moving files around will be absolutely minimal. My point is that when the universe is moving toward not dealing with files at all, I just don't see file transfer as a high priority. Apparently, when you plug the iPad in it mounts as a shared volume. I don't think we'll need much more than that and a cloud storage app like dropbox.

Dude!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #50 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Dude!

Hola!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #51 of 83
So is it just the fierceness of iPad talk that draws you out? Speaking of which, I remember you talking about wanting a coffee shop machine, maybe kinda like this.

What do you think? Useful for your needs, or no (I mean, as far as you can make out, from here)?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #52 of 83
My wife really, really wants one. I'm a little skeptical, but I find myself leaning more and more towards getting one. If I were to get one of these, I can totally see myself using it for my lecture notes. I do everything in OmniOutliner and then print the notes out on 5x8 notecards, which then go into a Levenger junior circa notebook. It would be nice just to pull up the notes I need on an iPad and get to work.

I can also see this as a way for me to wag around PDFs of Google Books around instead of printing them out, which is what I do now.

I can also see this giving my Nook a run for its money.

I don't know that I would use such a gadget for sustained document creation, mostly because I don't like or use Pages. But we'll give it a good, hard look. like I said, my wife wants one; we'll do our best to share.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth is pretty funny, to me. A few years ago, I was in London and was only able to access the internet on my iPaq PDA. When I got home, I really started to rethink my needs in a portable device. Why was I spending so much money on a laptop when 95% of what I do was web surf, type documents, answer email, and watch movies? I got a Nokia N800 and a bluetooth keyboard and found that I was able to do most of what I needed to do without much hassle (email, web, video, commenting on student papers, etc). Then I got an iPod Touch, which replaced my N800 entirely. I have a little Dell Mini 9 Netbook running Mac OS X 10.5.

But we'll see. It may be that I can live with Pages and a bluetooth keyboard and get just about everything I need to done. For me, it'll really hinge on how RTFs move back and forth from Pages to Nisus Writer Pro. I have been well and truly screwed by documents not transferring properly.

But I think, like Steven Frank, that Apple is really trying to move us into New World computing: an app-centric, hidden file system, natural and intuitive UI where the user doesn't need to learn anything.

What cracks me up about the reviews is this: every review that I've read where the person has actually used it is glowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So is it just the fierceness of iPad talk that draws you out? Speaking of which, I remember you talking about wanting a coffee shop machine, maybe kinda like this.

What do you think? Useful for your needs, or no (I mean, as far as you can make out, from here)?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

What cracks me up about the reviews is this: every review that I've read where the person has actually used it is glowing.

Yeah, they generally describe the experience as "revelatory", or words to that effect.

Which is course is always the point of churlishness re Apple products, from certain quarters-- that talk of "experiences" is touchy-feely nonsense and the provenance of hippies, fan boys and posers.

I guess we'll see, but I sort of have this feeling that a $499 device that does most of what most people want to do with a laptop, and does it in this sort of delightful way that gets all the "computer" cruft out of the way may be Apple's next big game-changing runaway success.

Which, of course, would mean that the same people slagging it off now will immediately embrace clones from Asus and begin the "Ha ha this one has better specs" dance, but some things never change.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #54 of 83
Yup. When you stop to think about it, the fact that sooooo many people own really, really powerful computers is pretty bizarreit's sort of like we've only had an option for supercars when all we need to do is drive to the store and back. This move by Apple (and I guess, this has *always* been their MO) to abstract away the nonsense and give users the tools to do what they need without needing to learn some byzantine system.

I keep thinking about my mother, who just wants to read her newspaper, IM with me, and check her email. She doesn't even understand the entire metaphor of the desktop or a file system. If I send her a file over IM, she has no idea where it went. If I tell her to click on the desktop, she asks me where that is. But she wants to do the simple things she wants to do, and I think the iPad, with its new approach, could be exactly what she needs.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Yup. When you stop to think about it, the fact that sooooo many people own really, really powerful computers is pretty bizarre—it's sort of like we've only had an option for supercars when all we need to do is drive to the store and back. This move by Apple (and I guess, this has *always* been their MO) to abstract away the nonsense and give users the tools to do what they need without needing to learn some byzantine system.

I keep thinking about my mother, who just wants to read her newspaper, IM with me, and check her email. She doesn't even understand the entire metaphor of the desktop or a file system. If I send her a file over IM, she has no idea where it went. If I tell her to click on the desktop, she asks me where that is. But she wants to do the simple things she wants to do, and I think the iPad, with its new approach, could be exactly what she needs.

I've been thinking the same thing with my mom. She's a perfectly bright woman, spend her working life as an educator and sits on the board several local non-profits, but you can just see the weariness descend when I start explaining to her about "windows" and "files" and "drop down menus" and the rest.

The funny thing is, kids aren't much better-- the things they want to do are second nature, but beyond that they aren't really "computer people" any more than their parents (IMO because "computer person" is an oxymoron, but that's another rant). Moreover, because they grew up being told that they must be computer geniuses because they had mastery of a few processes their parents didn't, they've been rendered incurious.

It's like a generation of people that were taught they were master mechanics because they were adept at parallel parking.

So if Apple can give us the fabled information appliance, I think they can pick up market from both older and younger people-- the former because it grants access to all that cool tech without the frustration, and the latter because it feels natural and is fun. The most resistant will be self-styled "power users", particularly of the PC stripe, who consider their hard won proficiency with horrible UIs to be a mark of character.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #56 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Yup. When you stop to think about it, the fact that sooooo many people own really, really powerful computers is pretty bizarreit's sort of like we've only had an option for supercars when all we need to do is drive to the store and back. This move by Apple (and I guess, this has *always* been their MO) to abstract away the nonsense and give users the tools to do what they need without needing to learn some byzantine system.

I keep thinking about my mother, who just wants to read her newspaper, IM with me, and check her email. She doesn't even understand the entire metaphor of the desktop or a file system. If I send her a file over IM, she has no idea where it went. If I tell her to click on the desktop, she asks me where that is. But she wants to do the simple things she wants to do, and I think the iPad, with its new approach, could be exactly what she needs.

I think it's more than just the moms factor. I teach Mac classes at a local community college and find that I could spend an hour (if I wanted to) just explaining the Finder. These concepts are far from obvious and clear; they take real mental adjustment to understand. So Apple wants to "abstract" the file system to make the iPad easier to comprehend and use? Who is going to gripe about that but the propeller heads who aren't happy if they can't tinker with every little part? Nobody, I predict. I also suspect that if Jef Raskin were still with us, he'd be very satisfied with this development, which brings us a lot closer to his original conception of the Mac.

BTW, RTF transfers shouldn't be any issue. This is a very basic format.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I could spend an hour (if I wanted to) just explaining the Finder. These concepts are far from obvious and clear; they take real mental adjustment to understand.

Yup. And nevermind the bizarre mental adjustment you have to make when using a mouse: moving it on a horizontal plane moves the cursor on a vertical one....

And I completely agree. The whole notion of dealing with files and folders and desktops and whatever is a metaphor that's seen its day come and go, I hope. Think about it: Apple seems to be (re)inventing the UI. Again.

Quote:
So Apple wants to "abstract" the file system to make the iPad easier to comprehend and use? Who is going to gripe about that but the propeller heads who aren't happy if they can't tinker with every little part? Nobody, I predict. I also suspect that if Jef Raskin were still with us, he'd be very satisfied with this development, which brings us a lot closer to his original conception of the Mac.

Yup. As I was typing all of that, I kept thinking about my trusty Newton 2100, which is I guess as close as Raskin got to realizing his ideal interface. Abstracted file system, app centric, and apps interconnected. We can only hope and pray that the iPad/iPhone OS will be as smart as the Newton OS was and is.

Quote:
BTW, RTF transfers shouldn't be any issue. This is a very basic format.

Well, that's what you'd think, but when you start dealing with endnotes and footnotes, nothing is basic. It's all about whether or not the application writes RTFs to spec, and not all do.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #58 of 83
I thought the UI on the Canon Cat was sort of Raskin's dream come true.

Does RTF recognize footnotes and endnotes? I wasn't aware of that. If so I don't see why Pages would not handle them properly.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #59 of 83
Here's a pretty nice blog post about just what we've been discussing.

Interestingly (to me, because it validates my line of though, and what's more interesting than that?), he makes the same point I was making about older and younger users:

Quote:
When I think about the age ranges of people who fall into the Old World of computing, it is roughly bell-curved with Generation X (hello) approximately in the center. That, to me, is fascinating — Old World users are sandwiched between New World users who are both younger and older than them.

Some elder family members of mine recently got New World cell phones. I watched as they loaded dozens of apps willy-nilly onto them which, on any other phone, would have turned it into a sluggish, crash-prone battery-vampire. But it didn’t happen. I no longer get summoned for phone help, because it is self-evident how to use it, and things just generally don’t go wrong like they used to on their Old World devices.

New Worlders have no reason to be gun-shy about loading up their device with apps. Why would that break anything? Old Worlders on the other hand have been browbeaten to the point of expecting such behavior to lead to problems. We’re genuinely surprised when it doesn’t.

But the New World scares the living hell out of a lot of the Old Worlders. Why is that?

I'd be willing to bet that most of the people doing the most bellyaching about what a dreadful idea the iPad is are in their thirties or thereabouts. Much younger than that and you're more likely to embrace new tech without any "how things are properly done" encrustations, and much older and you just want to do stuff with as little hassle as possible (and platform contention starts to seem impossibly stupid as one contemplates the onrush of one's imminent death ).
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I thought the UI on the Canon Cat was sort of Raskin's dream come true

Hrm. Maybe I'm mixing up my Raskinses and my Togses.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Here's a pretty nice blog post about just what we've been discussing.

Interestingly (to me, because it validates my line of though, and what's more interesting than that?), he makes the same point I was making about older and younger users.

If only I had referenced that aeons ago....
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #62 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

I think the reality of it is that what made the iPhone so great was that it was MORE than a phone.. it was a true full fledged computer.. which made it incredibly expensive but incredibly UNIQUE among other phones. The iPad doesn't meet this.. it;s just like any other tablet PC. If anything because of the lack of multitasking it is LESS than other tablet PCs.

This is the stupidest thing I have read today!

First you state that the allure of the iPhone is that it is a "true full fledged computer"

Then you state "The iPad doesn't meet this"

Uh, from all the evidence presented, the iPad IS pretty much an iPhone, minus the ability to make & receive cell call & a camera

Oh, and the hardware is more powerful, and the screen is higher in both size & resolution

And before we forget, it just happens to run ALL the same software as the iPhone

Where exactly is the "doesn't meet this" part?!?
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #63 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Where exactly is the "doesn't meet this" part…?!?

well... I'm pretty sure he was taking the "iPhone vs previous smartphones" analogy and comparing it to "iPad vs other tablets". (not iPad vs iPhone.)

In that case, I suppose the iPad DOESN'T bring anything new to the table as far as WHAT it is capable of... but... in typical Apple fashion... it does the tablet "things" in a uniquely polished and simple way. Exactly the MO that Apple has used to successfully sell desktops, laptops, music players, phones... and now tablets.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #64 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

If only I had referenced that aeons ago....

Oh sure, like I'm so supposed to pick out references to other things that aren't in a contrasting color and underlined and just begging to be clicked. Just ask your students.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #65 of 83
Don't know if anybody has posted this anywhere... sooo many threads, sooo many new people with sooo many negative opinions to wade through...

Stephen Colbert used an iPad at the Grammy Awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC35S...ure=youtu.be&a

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh sure, like I'm so supposed to pick out references to other things that aren't in a contrasting color and underlined and just begging to be clicked. Just ask your students.

You mean my students who usually don't even bother to look up words they don't know?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

You mean my students who usually don't even bother to look up words they don't know?

Yes, them. I demand slack.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #68 of 83
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #69 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Would have been much more practical if they could have at least put a mini-usb port on it for peripherals/data sticks.

This IS a peripheral. Good grief.
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This IS a peripheral. Good grief.

Seems to be many people around AI promoting it as a netbook/laptop replacement that you can be creative on. Maybe not what it's meant for, but for $500+ that's what some consumers would expect.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #71 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Seems to be many people around AI promoting it as a netbook/laptop replacement that you can be creative on. Maybe not what it's meant for, but for $500+ that's what some consumers would expect.

I've been creative on my iPhone, then just link it to my Mac and finish up there. Sometimes, I have done stuff entirely on the phone (Zeptopad is awesome) and emailed the "finished" product (as it was, a draft).

I entirely expect to be more creative on the iPad as Apple has so kindly given us iWork, which I use on my Mac for much of my printed work and presentations. To me, linking back to a main machine is pretty normal, I guess.

In the future, and I said this somewhere on one of these threads, I think Apple will make the iPad an independent machine that will attach directly to printers and other things. But not yet.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I've been creative on my iPhone, then just link it to my Mac and finish up there. Sometimes, I have done stuff entirely on the phone (Zeptopad is awesome) and emailed the "finished" product (as it was, a draft).

I entirely expect to be more creative on the iPad as Apple has so kindly given us iWork, which I use on my Mac for much of my printed work and presentations. To me, linking back to a main machine is pretty normal, I guess.

In the future, and I said this somewhere on one of these threads, I think Apple will make the iPad an independent machine that will attach directly to printers and other things. But not yet.

I can see Apple moving the iPad to more of an independent device down the road

I would envision a future iPad user having an iPad & the keyboard/dock combo, maybe a pair of powered stereo speakers attached

Printing would be to a WiFi-capable printer

A Time Capsule would be used for a home WiFi connection (with FIOS or the such attached to the WAN port, of course), and would also backup the iPad AND provide a sort of a personal (it just works!) SAN

If needed, the USB port on the Time Capsule could have a USB SuperDrive attached, and Apple could work out an implementation of Remote Disc for the iPad

The real meat behind the iPad as an independent device just might be MobileMe

With the move away from a visible file system, and the smaller capacity of storage in the iPads, MobileMe and the 'cloud computing' concept may play an important role in making the iPad into an independent device

Now when do I get my digital comics (subscription, please) Steve?!?

Come on, Disney bought Marvel, and you sit on the board

(Yes, I will still buy the hard copies, but they will go straight into the box)
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post

not strictly true. most stores STOPPED taking pre-orders for it MONTHS before it's launch date.

I think he means the name. And I remember it getting made fun of alot, and no people use it as a verb without a second thought
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I think he means the name. And I remember it getting made fun of alot, and no people use it as a verb without a second thought

Yep. If you bust out your Wii and somebody giggles, you just think they're out of touch because they've apparently never seen one before.

Already the constant drumbeat of iPad talk is cementing the name in the popular imagination as that particular thing. The adolescent references will quickly come to be seen as a problem with the one making the references, not the device-- if they haven't already.

All of this was predictable, and all of the "controversy" was nothing more than a conflation of typically puerile internet chatter and the usual Apple bashers eager for any weapon, no matter how slight.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #75 of 83
I agree. The average "geek" and the naysayers simply don't get what Apple is doing here.
1) A faster iPOD touch with a large screen? That will change the world. I have a friend who pulls his hair out using the calendar on his iphone. It takes a long time to input items, a very long time to delete single items for one day when they are in the calendar for repeats. The Apple processor in the iPAD is lightning fast. These functions will probably be instantaneous. Next, the large screen means the calendar can now show the whole month! YES. the LARGE screen is an awesome change.
2) Those who are naysayers, saying Apple has not listened to their customers? THEY have not been listening to the market research. The iPOD touch is preferred by many OVER the iPhone because a) they do not have to buy an expensive phone plan, they rely on WIFI and b) parents will not buy a phone for their 8 or 9 or 10 year old, but are buying iPOD touches for them like hotcakes! The larger screen simply means they will now spend more money.
3) WHY did Steve Jobs just meet with fifty NYT executives for dinner? Not only to show them how the iPAD can be used for the advantage of the newspaper (COME ON! The New York Times has had multiple tech people ON-SITE at Apple for weeks. That is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. He had dinner to also show them what it can do for them as executives. To show them WHY THEY need one. And then they will realize why the iPAD will be a HUGE HIT with business people. I predict that within 4 years 80% of workers who ride the train or bus to work every day will own an IPAD. Naysayers complain "Oh, they have a phone and a laptop. They are not going to buy another device". These people are wrong because every one of those commuters now ALSO carries a newspaper or a book. The newspaper or book will be replaced by the iPAD. Which will carry ALL THEIR NEWSPAPERS, BOOKS, MUSIC etc.... and if they want to watch a movie on the way to and from work? With the iPAD they can do that to. It is NOT a laptop (a device to create). It is an iPAD (to enjoy media that already exists!) Though Apple was very smart to create versions of iWORK (word processor, spreadsheet, keynote presentation software) for those who will want to get some work done on their iPAD. And remember, it will have a ten hour battery life for watching video. That means an executive can get on a plane, read the New York Times, Business Week, a book, nap for an hour listening to music, watch a movie and arrive ten hours later in Hawaii and STILL have battery life. No iPhone or laptop can do that.
The Naysayers want one device to do everything. Steve Jobs and Apple have been masterful at figuring out what is JUST ENOUGH in a product they sell. Do these naysayers own ONE DEVICE in their kitchens? That opens cans, opens jars, opens wine bottles, blends their fruit drinks, toasts their bread, and makes their coffee? NO! They own at least two different types of can openers, a corkscrew, a blender, a toaster and a coffee machine! Why on earth do they think one electronic device can do it all?
4) PREDICTION. Remember Star Trek? No books. I predict that within five years children will no longer lug 15 pound knapsacks to school. They will carry their iPAD which will contain all their books, assignments etc. They will take exams on their iPAD and click SUBMIT and it will be on their teacher's computer.
5) Amazon has been raping the publishers. YOU don't buy a book because it is made of paper. You are not paying for the paper. You are paying for the content. Apple is changing that model. They have told the publishers we agree, you SHOULD be able to charge more for your "content".
6) Prediction: the iPAD will be adopted slowly but consistently over about 2 years. In about two years sales of iPAD sales will begin to soar. A classic hockey stick curve of adoption. (Though perhaps in less than two years).
7) Prediction: Apple has tricks up its sleeve. Such as videoconferencing on its second release of the iPAD.
8) Prediction: Apple has not revealed all on purpose. So all the competitors will spend R&D to develop tablets such as the one Steve Jobs just revealed. And in two years Apple will release version 2 that will have functions no one else has thought of.
9) Prediction: the Kindle will be nearly dead within two years.
NOTE: I own Apple stock.
post #76 of 83
Flash is a CPU hog. I have a Macbook pro with 4GB ram. Both Safari and Firefox locks up when I go to a normal site with flash ads, or flash based site. I assume that iPad can take the loading but if it makes the battery from 10 hours to 1.5 hours of life, I'll definitely switch it off.

I think Apple would rather have people wishing that the iPad have no flash rather than pointing fingers at the iPad for shitty 1.5 hour battery life wouldn't you say?
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post

Flash is a CPU hog. I have a Macbook pro with 4GB ram. Both Safari and Firefox locks up when I go to a normal site with flash ads, or flash based site. I assume that iPad can take the loading but if it makes the battery from 10 hours to 1.5 hours of life, I'll definitely switch it off.

I think Apple would rather have people wishing that the iPad have no flash rather than pointing fingers at the iPad for shitty 1.5 hour battery life wouldn't you say?

Flash 10.1 does most of it's decoding in the GPU with virtually no hit on the CPU. That is, at least on Windows. Apple won't allow access to the GPU in OS X. I'm starting to notice a trend here.
post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Flash 10.1 does most of it's decoding in the GPU with virtually no hit on the CPU. That is, at least on Windows. Apple won't allow access to the GPU in OS X. I'm starting to notice a trend here.

Your facts are correct, but your conclusions are wrong. MacOS X abstracts the GPU. Every developer has access to the Mac GPU through the system's graphics frameworks. The correct inference is that Adobe has chosen to develop Flash on the Mac as a cheap Windows port rather than as genuine MacOS X software. How's that working out for them now?
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

... I also suspect that if Jef Raskin were still with us, he'd be very satisfied with [lack of a file system] development, which brings us a lot closer to his original conception of the Mac.

True. The documents still have to be accessed somehow. Jef Raskin espoused the zooming metaphor to access documents, judging from his writings (Google maps an excellent example of that). However, he'd be disappointed with the proliferation of apps ("there's an app for that"), each app having its own modes, actions, appearance, and behavior.

Two steps forward, one step back, but we're getting there.
post #80 of 83
I need a casual computer for websurfing on the couch while watching TV. I sold my iBook years ago. I truck my Thinkpad back and forth from work to home, but Windows makes for a pretty crappy websurfing + AIM + etc experience.

I keep toying with the idea of buying a 13.3" MBP for this purpose, though I'm not sure it's worth spending that much money on just to save myself the effort of carrying my work laptop home.

I could potentially make do with the iPad as a couch websurfing machine, IF it ran OS X.

I need:
background apps (think: Adium)
terminal (so i can scp files to my desktop machine which downloads torrents and such)

So, the iPad is a no sale for me -- unless I can get my employer to buy an Arrandale MBP for me, mostly leave that at home, and buy the iPad as a curiosity. And, frankly, at the low sans-3G pricepoint, it's surprisingly cheap.

Say all you want about push notifications, but it doesn't replace true multitasking. I don't care on the iPhone, which I just use for basic features (hell, it's not even hacked because I don't find the upkeep worth it).. but for a home casual machine, I want good applications. Some of the iPhone replacements for the OS X counterparts are pretty weak.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Best remark about iPad so far...