or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo take shots at Apple's iPad debut
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo take shots at Apple's iPad debut - Page 5

post #161 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

You know. I was thinking about the limitations of the iPad. How do you store files on it? Why no USB2 port? 64 GB flash memory max?

I was watching the keynote and the demo of iWork. I kept thinking, how did these files that they're playing with get on the iPad? How do you build one of these files from scratch using the iPad? Where are these files stored?

Lots of questions.

I'm not sure how Apple will do it. How do you make the file accessible so it can be attached to an email, or used by another app? On the iPhone, each app maintains its own files (see app like WriteRoom), and it can create new files from scratch.

Quote:
But you know what? I started thinking about the first Macintosh, this little box with this little screen and this device for your hand, tethered to the little box. What's with this graphical interface and how do you enter commands and tell it what you want to do?

Agreed. The iPad paradigm is almost completely new; some of it was revealed to us earlier through the iPhone and iPod touch, but much more will come now.

Quote:
Although I think the iPad currently has limitations (it can't function as a standalone device without an actual computer to sync with and obtain files from), I see a lot of potential.

Good thoughts. Right now, the iPad is a device (like the iPod/iPhone/AppleTV) to be attached to a digital hub (Mac/PC) via the iTunes spoke. But I think Apple is looking at making the iPad syncable to items other than the hub, like a Time Capsule or a Home Media Server or AppleTV. The iPhone/iPod touch (device) can already control the AppleTV (another device). At some point, they'll increase the amount of peer to peer interactions.

In addition, all the devices are already able to go straight out to the cloud to get content. At some point, Apple will also allow them to sync to the cloud instead of to a hub. The acquisition of lala and the NC data center seem to be linked to this.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #162 of 429
I can only repeat what I said when the iPhone was introduced:"Dear Nokia, it would be wise to start a transission immediately from selling phones to selling used cars. Game over."
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
Reply
post #163 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Stop posting. You look like an ignorant fool.

Wow, this place really has some of the nastiest, most unpleasnt fanboys around. When you have to resort to playground name calling, you've automatically lost your argument. Sorry.

Nothing I have said is ignorant, it's all, shock horror, actually based on facts.

Fact - Flash is everywhere on the web. iPad does not support flash, therefore Job's claim of the iPad beind a great way to browse the web is simply untrue.

Fact - Multi-tasking has been standard in computers since the late 1980s. For a new computer not to have it, is an incredible omission.

Fact - USB is an interface common to virtually all computing devices. The iPad does not have a USB port.

Fact - You evidently have no argument, just cheap insults. Good night!
post #164 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh come off it, what a stupid thing to say.

It is entirely the point to pull Apple up for the closed nature of the iPad.

For example - http://theflashblog.com/?p=1703

This is the reality of the iPad for most people. Insulting people does not change that fact.

Its also a reality that many people (like me) turn off plugins so I don't get flash. If there is something I want to see (video) I turn the plugin on. and reload the page.

I hate flash. I hate dancing people in ads. Its much nicer to stop seeing all of the nonsense that flash involves.
post #165 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I would also. It would be like....

"You mean there's a place I can go to find ALL the apps for my macbook?"
"I don't have to search this site, search that site, just one place?"
"Developers are primaryly making apps for the mac?" 'It's about time!"

Apple does have a downloads page on the Apple.com website, for Apple software and third-party freeware, shareware, and commercial (usually demos) software.

It's not everything, but there's plenty there.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #166 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

We should be seeing desktop quality apps within a year.

But if they're only available from the iTunes store, what good is that? That was the exact same problem with the AppleTV. Restriction is not good.
post #167 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

You know. I was thinking about the limitations of the iPad. How do you store files on it? Why no USB2 port? 64 GB flash memory max?

I was watching the keynote and the demo of iWork. I kept thinking, how did these files that they're playing with get on the iPad? How do you build one of these files from scratch using the iPad? Where are these files stored?

There will be a shared file feature for the iPad and you will be able to access this file using your computer (mounted as an external HDD).
post #168 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

But if their only available from the iTines store, what good is that?

Why is that a problem?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #169 of 429
What they hell are people doing in Flash? I consider myself tech savvy, yet I never use flash anywhere on the web. Want to play games, go to pogo, it's java. Lot's and lots of games, for people of all ages.
People get all upset the iPxx(xx) is locked down with proprietary this or that, yet they somehow want more proprietary in their face? Open standards are better for the consumer. They keep cost down and problems tend to get fixed faster.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
post #170 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Fact - Flash is everywhere on the web. iPad does not support flash, therefore Job's claim of the iPad beind a great way to browse the web is simply untrue.

Fact - Multi-tasking has been standard in computers since the late 1980s. For a new computer not to have it, is an incredible omission.

Fact - USB is an interface common to virtually all computing devices. The iPad does not have a USB port.

First, one can successfully browse the web and not miss flash at all so what Jobs said isn't untrue. As empirical evidence, I and many of the other commenters here browse without needing flash at all. (Now my son, that's a different story.)

Second, I've heard you (and thousands of others) and I grant that flash, multi-tasking and USB have been prevalent in our computer usage, though possibly not critical. In any case, none of them are on an iPhone and it has been quite successful, though it's a small screen device, with the limitations that entails. So possibly, you're right that people won't accept this from a larger-screen device.

But there have been many larger-screen devices, like netbooks and tablets, that have flash, multi-tasking and USB ports. Tablets are a commercial mass-market failure; they have a niche. The jury is still out on netbooks - many are happy with them, a good percentage are not.

So why should Apple just repeat what was already done? Apple is taking another tack, one based on what they learned from the iPhone, and offering the market another choice. If flash, multi-tasking and USB are that critical; then you have to admit that Apple has great courage to take such a huge risk. You think Apple is wrong. Many here think Apple is right, and because of the software that Apple has built into it and the ecosystem Apple has built around it, there is a substantial market out there who will buy it.

Update: AppleInsider just posted a new article by Prince McLean explaining that apps will share files with a computer via WiFi. So that's one less reason to need a USB port. (Also, a USB port is provided in the iPad Camera Connection Kit for cameras.)
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #171 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Even if that were true in theory, it certainly isn't true in practice. Much of the web depends on flash. Want to watch a video online? That'll be flash. Want to play a game online? That'll be flash. Want to play Farmville? (which if you hadn't noticed, a LOT of people do) That'll be flash.

Flash is EVERYWHERE online. It's not going away anytime soon. Apple need to stop their petty argument with Adobe and accept the total dominance of flash.

Flash does have some legitimate uses, but even most online video sites are moving away from it, because they see that more and more people are using devices that are not Flash enabled.

Flash is the reason why annoying ads pop up every time I visit my favorite websites. They are the reason why I (ironic quotes)"Just won a new iPod Nano." I welcome the move to closed systems and to a Flash-free environment, because it means there will be an element of quality control that didn't exist before.

People who get mad about better technology becoming ubiquitous are like those early humans who resented the advent of iron because bronze tools were all they knew.
post #172 of 429
MacTripper, kotatsu, this device isn't designed for you. Just accept it and move on with your lives. The iPad is aimed at non-techie types who don't give a flying frig about what is "open" or not. They want an appliance that works at the touch of a button, like their microwave and TV remote.

I may not buy one but my sister is going to LOVE this thing. No more calls because she "broke the internet" or dragged her system folder into the trash (not sure if that's possible, but you get the idea).

A camera would have been good, but they were focusing on price this time around. It will come. Flash is a huge omission, but it is a resource-hungry proprietary (closed!!!) technology. This move will encourage major sites to have an HTML 5 alternative sooner rather than later. Anyone remember the uproar when they omitted the floppy drive from the first iMac?
post #173 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobratt View Post

People who get mad about better technology becoming ubiquitous are like those early humans who resented the advent of iron because bronze tools were all they knew.

I knew there was a reason we were all still driving gas powered vehicles! Or why we still ride on rubber tires over tarmac. people get so stuck on what they "know" that they're afraid to venture outside the box.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
post #174 of 429
"I'm a Mac and the Apple iPad is my idea." - Murray68

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #175 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Its also a reality that many people (like me) turn off plugins so I don't get flash. If there is something I want to see (video) I turn the plugin on. and reload the page.

I hate flash. I hate dancing people in ads. Its much nicer to stop seeing all of the nonsense that flash involves.

But, if you turn it on, you still use flash???
post #176 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

But, if you turn it on, you still use flash???

Point is he doesn't want to. Nor should one have to. There are better ways to deliver video and nobody wants ads popping up in their face.
Just because something has been done a certain way for so long does not make it the right way, best way. Do you still drive a 3 speed with the shifter on the colume (H pattern), probably not. Do you still have a landline with an answering machine hooked up? Got a pager? I bet you only use a crt monitor.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
post #177 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"I'm a Mac and the Apple iPad is my idea." - Murray68

Wait for "I am a PC and the Zune Pad is my idea"
post #178 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Point is he doesn't want to. Nor should one have to. There are better ways to deliver video and nobody wants ads popping up in their face.

If you think that a new technology is going to keep the ads away, I have an island to sell you. Historically, new media technologies and standards have enabled more ads, not fewer. Once it's accepted, the ads will come.
post #179 of 429
An ad one expects is one thing. To just pop in ad up in your face while you're trying to read is rude and annoying. When they are in the video, you know, to pay for it so I can watch it free, it's not an issue.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
post #180 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

An ad one expects is one thing. To just pop in ad up in your face while you're trying to read is rude and annoying. When they are in the video, you know, to pay for it so I can watch it free, it's not an issue.

I don't get this. Flash isn't required to make pop-up ads.
post #181 of 429
bunch of has beens...
post #182 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

I'm not sure how Apple will do it. How do you make the file accessible so it can be attached to an email, or used by another app? On the iPhone, each app maintains its own files (see app like WriteRoom), and it can create new files from scratch.

This.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #183 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Would you prefer I add it to my signature then?

Yes. Do it. If you dare.
post #184 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

You know. I was thinking about the limitations of the iPad. How do you store files on it? Why no USB2 port? 64 GB flash memory max?

I see homes with a base computer/server with iPads that can grab files via the server whenever necessary, with few or no local files. When on the road, these same files can be accessed through the Internet via WiFi, 3G, or satellite.

If that were true then surely there would not be a need for 16, 32, 64GB storage options. What else is that amount of storage used for if the device won't have local files and the user can't access the file system?
post #185 of 429
APPLE HAS HIT A PURE GRAND SLAM

an easy 10 MILLION WILL SELL THIS YR

the french alone will buy 800.000.

and what is most important is that this ipad tablet will bring great joy to millions

peace 9

and may god bless steve jobs
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #186 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

First, one can successfully browse the web and not miss flash at all so what Jobs said isn't untrue. As empirical evidence, I and many of the other commenters here browse without needing flash at all. (Now my son, that's a different story.)

Second, I've heard you (and thousands of others) and I grant that flash, multi-tasking and USB have been prevalent in our computer usage, though possibly not critical. In any case, none of them are on an iPhone and it has been quite successful, though it's a small screen device, with the limitations that entails. So possibly, you're right that people won't accept this from a larger-screen device.

But there have been many larger-screen devices, like netbooks and tablets, that have flash, multi-tasking and USB ports. Tablets are a commercial mass-market failure; they have a niche. The jury is still out on netbooks - many are happy with them, a good percentage are not.

So why should Apple just repeat what was already done? Apple is taking another tack, one based on what they learned from the iPhone, and offering the market another choice. If flash, multi-tasking and USB are that critical; then you have to admit that Apple has great courage to take such a huge risk. You think Apple is wrong. Many here think Apple is right, and because of the software that Apple has built into it and the ecosystem Apple has built around it, there is a substantial market out there who will buy it.

Update: AppleInsider just posted a new article by Prince McLean explaining that apps will share files with a computer via WiFi. So that's one less reason to need a USB port. (Also, a USB port is provided in the iPad Camera Connection Kit for cameras.)

Your response is way too rational and reasonable. I'll bet the guy won't respond, or if he does, it'll be some other nonsensical rant.
post #187 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Notice they are paying attention? This is telling.

The iPad is an appliance, and the more I see it the more I think it's something every house could have.

Well Apple certainly make it better via software and it is getting attention, but sadly, a lot is negative.

Will probably wait until Rev 2 before buying though.

PS. Has anyone got the Keynote to play?
iPhone, Leopard, Snow Leopard, it just hangs and hangs. Normally it takes just a day to 36 hours - but still nada, nothing...
Advice? On where to watch?

Thanks
post #188 of 429
Apps, music, video, and whatever else you might not want streamed or would want immediate access to. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post

If that were true then surely there would not be a need for 16, 32, 64GB storage options. What else is that amount of storage used for if the device won't have local files and the user can't access the file system?
post #189 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

PS. Has anyone got the Keynote to play?
iPhone, Leopard, Snow Leopard, it just hangs and hangs. Normally it takes just a day to 36 hours - but still nada, nothing...
Advice? On where to watch?

Is all of that through the same internet service provider? Works fine for me on iPhone WiFi & Leopard. Maybe try disabling Wifi and see if it works over 3G?

I didn't know that iPhone could play the stream, that's pretty nifty, though I should have expected it.
post #190 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Well Apple certainly make it better via software and it is getting attention, but sadly, a lot is negative.

Will probably wait until Rev 2 before buying though.

PS. Has anyone got the Keynote to play?
iPhone, Leopard, Snow Leopard, it just hangs and hangs. Normally it takes just a day to 36 hours - but still nada, nothing...
Advice? On where to watch?

Thanks

Here, plays fine for me.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #191 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Update: AppleInsider just posted a new article by Prince McLean explaining that apps will share files with a computer via WiFi.

We need to know how this will work. So far there is only mention of a 'shared folder'. Is this just a drop box or will the iPad have access the the full file system on the computers? ie will it allow any volume on the computers to be shared? If that is the case then cool.

But what if a friend comes over with an iPad and shows you some pictures. How do we get the pictures transferred from his iPad to mine, when A) The iPad doesn't support Bluetooth file exchange, and B) the pictures on the iPad are not stored as regular files but as the cached libraries as are used for music in the iPhone? What if we are in a neutral environment where there is no WiFI and we want to exchange images, music, PDF's etc between iPad to iPad or iPhone?
post #192 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The DS in no way is threatened by the iPad. They serve different gaming markets.

Oh no? The iPhone is already taken a lot of DS customers away. My friends and I all have a DS for language games. As soon as the iPhone came out we stopped using them. I also gave away boxes of books I used to use. All this BEFORE iPad (which specializes in books LOL). I agree that the arcade games tend to be quite a bit different but people who were buying DSs were not buying them only for games. Most adults were buying them for reference information i.e. TOEIC, foreign language, cooking games etc. The really young kids may keep them for Zelda or whatever but the adults will move to iPhone/iPad and are already doing so.
post #193 of 429
How can one explain the fact 2009 was the best year for the DS in terms of U.S. sales (and subsequently breaking every annual video game record ever there), in spite of the presence of the iPhone/iPod touch and no price drop?
post #194 of 429
It's so sad when companies and people do not try to realize and forward the potential of a new product. The iPad gives developers a fun new platform to expand upon. We will see some desktop class apps really shining on the iPad. For those of you who keep dissing the Apple TV, it's your loss. I know my wife, daughter, 15 month old and myself view the Apple TV as an invaluable tool at home. The DVD player has not been turned on in over a year and we haven't been subjected to worthless commercials in quite a while....surprising how tv shows that we watch are so much better without commercials. Speaking of commercials, has anyone noticed how much easier on the eyes a website is when there is no flash....just my two cents.
post #195 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Wow, this place really has some of the nastiest, most unpleasnt fanboys around. When you have to resort to playground name calling, you've automatically lost your argument. Sorry.

You are an annoying troll, and a complete moron.

Goodbye.
post #196 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Fact - Flash is everywhere on the web. iPad does not support flash, therefore Job's claim of the iPad beind a great way to browse the web is simply untrue.

And you, sir, are a one-trick pony. To you, the entire Internet revolves around Flash. You have not put a single post in this forum that does not contain the word "Flash". Even your "evidence" of the iPad being rejected by the public was simply a link to a Flash fanboy forum. You are seeing everything through Flash-tinted glasses and cannot fathom the following concepts:

* Flash is a proprietary CLOSED format just as you are attempting to portray the iPad as.
* No, the entire Internet does not revolve around Flash. Some of us even have Flash blockers installed in FireFox and get along quite well thankyouverymuch.
* There are, in spite of your claims, quite a few ways to watch video on the web without Flash. Check out YouTube's HTML5 Beta program. Works great.
* Flash is a resource hog. Those NetBooks you claim are better than the iPad? They run slow, hot, and short battery lives due to Flash. "Fact" in your terminology.

This is not a Flash forum. Please go back to one that is if you're going to be a broken record about Flash.
post #197 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

APPLE HAS HIT A PURE GRAND SLAM

an easy 10 MILLION WILL SELL THIS YR

the french alone will buy 800.000.

and what is most important is that this ipad tablet will bring great joy to millions

peace 9

and may god bless steve jobs

+1

After reading an unGodly amount of vitriol these last two days, here and elsewhere, posted by a multitude of trolls, astroturfists, windoze apologists, and flashtards, I have concluded that Apple truly has a major hit on their hands.

I wasn't sure immediately following the media event, but one thing I have discovered over the last several months and years is that the better Apple is doing, the louder and more profuse the screaming by the Apple haters. And they are screaming bloody murder right now. I also watched the internet stream of the media event (without flash, thank you very much), and I'm very impressed by the iPad.

With the iPad starting at $499, these companies, microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo & others, must really be shitting their pants. And so goes it for their respective fanbases. I would add Adobe to the list as well; the iPad could very well be the final nail in the coffin of flash as a relevant technology.

One thing's for certain, I'll be getting one of these iPads, and sooner than later. For me, it will accomplish 90% of what I currently use my Powerbook for, at a fraction of the weight. For $499, that's a no-brainer.
post #198 of 429
Steve said it in his keynote. The biggest difference is that Apple has made iPad to do some key things:
Browsing, Email, Reading books, listening music, watching videos, Games, etc.
+ All apps (unlimited)

If you do the above activities most of the time then this new gadget is a good fit. By removing other features it is now a simple device and kind of "un-complicates' the experience.

The above functionality is more enhanced compared to netbooks out there. For web browsing hands on experience is a must. Otherwise it is hard to explain (explain colors to a blind).

Most of these guys from Nokia and Microsoft are still looking at features and not functionality. Nokia has always delivered many many features on their so called smart phones but not as much functionality. Microsoft too has not taken a holistic approach for full functionality of key uses and not worked on improving it. Whether you own the whole h/w and s/w or not. If Microsoft decided to focus on functionality they have enough influence over their partners to improve a lot. But may be thats why they are Microsoft and not Apple.
post #199 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

You are an annoying troll, and a complete moron.

Goodbye.

But I just realized that kotatsu helped point out why the iPad is revolutionary as a computer.

So which of these user-facing computer events are revolutionary?

a. The original Mac with a new GUI/mouse-based OS, black-on-white screen, and 3.5" floppy disk. (Lisa did it first.)
b. The iMac that wasn't beige and was missing the floppy disk drive but had a USB port.
c. The MacBook Air that was missing the DVD/CD drive.
d. The iPad that is missing flash, multi-tasking, and USB port and has a new GUI/multi-touch OS. (A iPhone smartphone did it first but people didn't think of it as a computer)
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #200 of 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft, too, joined the fray this week, when Brandon Watson, director of product management in the developer platform at Microsoft told Technologizer that he found it "humorous" that "Microsoft is much more open than Apple." Watson was referring to the fact that the newly-announced iPad runs the iPhone OS, which can only install third-party applications through the Apple-controlled App Store.

Says the company that controls the Windows Mobile Marketplace.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo take shots at Apple's iPad debut