or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple removes display of Adobe Flash content from iPad promos

Apple removes display of Adobe Flash content from iPad promos

post #1 of 139
Following an AppleInsider report that highlighted two pieces of promotional iPad material showing the display of Adobe Flash content, Apple has removed the offending images from its Web site.

On Friday, misleading content that implied the inclusion of Adobe Flash in the iPad's Safari Web browser was noted. In an image and a video on Apple's Web site, content from The New York Times Web site that could only be displayed in Flash was shown on the iPad.

But this weekend, Apple updated its Web site, removing an image that showed a Flash-only photo slideshow, and modifying a video that showed the Times Flash video player load on the iPad.

The image on the front page of Apple's site has been changed from the Flash photo slideshow to a story about the 1,300th anniversary of the city of Nara, Japan. Previously, it showed a picture from the story "The 31 Places to Go in 2010," with a Flash-only image of a beach in Montenegro.

In addition, a video intended to demonstrate real-world use in a first-person view has been modified to remove the display of Flash content. Previously, the iPad promotional video had shown the Flash-powered Times video player load properly on nytimes.com. Now, it correctly shows a missing plugin icon in its place.

The changes confirm that the previous pictures with Flash support were merely renderings, and did not in any way imply that Apple intended to add Flash support to the iPad before launch. At the product's unveiling Wednesday, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs did a live hands-on demo with the product during which Flash content from the Times Web site did not load.

Apple has famously shunned Flash, with the Web plugin having no support in the iPhone or iPod touch Safari browser. Apple has even encouraged developers to "stick with standards" and use CSS, JavaScript and Ajax instead of Adobe Flash. Apple has instead moved towards alternatives such as HTML 5.

For more on why Apple isn't likely to support Flash in the iPhone OS -- including the iPad -- read AppleInsider's three-part Flash Wars series.
post #2 of 139
to good to be true..
post #3 of 139
This is all very strange.
post #4 of 139
Good, we don't need flash.

Want 75 million iPhone OS users visiting and using your site?

Dump Flash or provide alternatives.

Adapt or lose.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #5 of 139
I was surprised that Apple would make such a mistake in their product marketing materials. I'm sure someone's rear end is smarting right now!
post #6 of 139
Funny, because the NYTimes app works fine without Flash.
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #7 of 139
Flash is like a dinosaur dragging around a full, shitty diaper behind it. The code is ancient, bloated and inefficient. Can you image your battery life on your phone with Flash running on it?

My company uses HTML 5.
post #8 of 139
Ouch!
post #9 of 139
Where is the "real internet" that Apple promised 3 years ago?

I guess Apple expects its users to eat its garbage.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #10 of 139
So iPad is basically worlds best adblocker?
http://www.bmson.is/bin/iPad/

Why would website allow iPad users to access their website if they can't display their ads.
They are no better than adBlock users, also known as bad consumers.
post #11 of 139
An egregious oversight by Apple. Hopefully they patch this in the near future, or at least allow the download of browsers that DO support flash.
post #12 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Flash is like a dinosaur dragging around a full, shitty diaper behind it. The code is ancient, bloated and inefficient. Can you image your battery life on your phone with Flash running on it?

My company uses HTML 5.

I agree, but if the vast majority of the web uses flash, how can Steve Jobs boast a great web experience on the iPad? When is HTML 5 going to be universally adopted? in a year? 2 years? 5? I think half the value of iPad is the web experience on a screen larger than my iPhone's.
I love the thought of getting on the web quickly without powering up my laptop or desktop. But not being able to watch a TV show on Hulu or a video on CNN, what's the point? I'm just tired of Jobs peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. It's not a great user experience if half the web is unavailable to me.
post #13 of 139
[Center]"What a tangled web they weave when they practice to deceive"[/Center]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #14 of 139
[CENTER]...One can't help but wonder exactly who Apple thinks it was fooling anyway?

Regardless, they corrected the deception, and now it's clear to those might have been duped that the iPad does not 'provide the very best web surfing experience'.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #15 of 139
What if Apple structs a deal with Microsoft, Bing for iPhone OS devices, in exchange for full support of HTML5 Video on IE .. Apple would kill two birds with one stone!

I believe this kind of deal is very, very possible.

Microsoft wants to kill Google, Apple wants to kill flash .. You see?
"Life is giving to those who live their personal legends.."

http://www.facebook.com/aalhouti?ref...=wall&ref=name
"Life is giving to those who live their personal legends.."

http://www.facebook.com/aalhouti?ref...=wall&ref=name
post #16 of 139
While there will be the expected cries against flash and how bad it is, I have to ask how long it will take for HTML5 to take off. The iPad does not provide the 'full' internet, and until flash is replaced with something iPad/iPhone compatible owners will have to rely on apps to provide a full experience. Which can be quite cumbersome.
post #17 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Can you image your battery life on your phone with Flash running on it?

Having owned phones with Flash support in the past, I can. The affect on battery life is negligible since the only time it consumes power is when you're browsing a website. Even a heavy browsing session isn't likely to last more than 30 minutes on a mobile device.

I remember this same excuse being trotted out when Apple left GPS off the original iPhone. It's dumb.
post #18 of 139
Apple has also used some photographic magic on their site to make it look like the iPad's screen is a silky, beautiful matte instead of the hideous glare magnet that it actually is. I love being able to watch videos on my Touch, but the constant struggle to keep the screen held at an exact angle to avoid reflections is absurd. I'd be much more prone to pick up the cheapest iPad (for on-the-couch web reading only) if it had a matte screen.

This Flash "controversy" as well as the confusing value proposition of the iPad in general is making me think that Apple's hubris is once again spiraling out of control. It will be the company's slow and steady downfall -- they need someone internally to keep them tethered to reality. They're losing touch and becoming too cult-like in their belief in their own greatness. If the iPad is a big flop, I think it'll be good for Apple in that it'll ground them and make them focus once more on the customer experience and not just marketing. That would be, as Jobs would say, "phenomenal."
post #19 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen88 View Post

What if Apple structs a deal with Microsoft, Bing for iPhone OS devices, in exchange for full support of HTML5 Video on IE .. Apple would kill two birds with one stone!

I believe this kind of deal is very, very possible.

Microsoft wants to kill Google, Apple wants to kill flash .. You see?

That's a very clever idea man
post #20 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossuab View Post

I love the thought of getting on the web quickly without powering up my laptop or desktop. But not being able to watch a TV show on Hulu or a video on CNN, what's the point?

The problem with that argument is that you still couldn't do it if Apple put Flash Lite on their iPhones. Some things to consider...
  1. Flash Lite can't play video from the popular sites you mentioned.
  2. Flash 10.1 looks to only be available for the Maemo on N900 right now, and that may still be in Beta.
  3. If it's Apple fault that Flash wasn't on the 2007 iPhone then why isn't Flash slated to arrive on Android, WebOS, WinMo or Symbian until mid-2010, 3.5 years later? Surely that can't be Apple's fault too.
  4. Flash 10.1 is going to require Android OS v2.0, leaving out a great many new Android handsets.
  5. Netbooks with 1.6Ghz Atom processors and 1-2GB RAM can't play Flash videos from these sites without them being choppy so Flash 10.1 has got to be great for these videos to stream on 400-600GHz ARM processors with only a 128-512MB RAM. I have doubt.
  6. Even if your goal is for Flash games, not video, how would one navigate since the controls won't work. The developer would have to rewrite Flash to accommodate the touchscreen device. Seems like a work for nothing.

The simple fact is that it's Adobe that dropped the ball a long time ago. They are the ones to blame for Flash not being available in 2007 or in 2010. You will see sites like Hulu change how they distribute video because they don't want to lose the potential customers of the quickly growing smartphone market. That doesn't mean they are dropping Flash from their sites for desktop OSes,
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #21 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadgarrison View Post

Apple has also used some photographic magic on their site to make it look like the iPad's screen is a silky, beautiful matte instead of the hideous glare magnet that it actually is. I love being able to watch videos on my Touch, but the constant struggle to keep the screen held at an exact angle to avoid reflections is absurd. I'd be much more prone to pick up the cheapest iPad (for on-the-couch web reading only) if it had a matte screen.

This Flash "controversy" as well as the confusing value proposition of the iPad in general is making me think that Apple's hubris is once again spiraling out of control. It will be the company's slow and steady downfall -- they need someone internally to keep them tethered to reality. They're losing touch and becoming too cult-like in their belief in their own greatness. If the iPad is a big flop, I think it'll be good for Apple in that it'll ground them and make them focus once more on the customer experience and not just marketing. That would be, as Jobs would say, "phenomenal."

I agree with the second half with regards to Apple's hubris, especially with their adoption of the whole "Magic" thing. It's very quickly becoming a turn off for me.

I feel like the lack of flash on a small device like the IPHONE/POD is acceptable but hardly so on a 10" device such as the IPAD. It will be very interesting to see how the general/non tech pubic reacts to this exclusion when these things hit the stores in two months.
post #22 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadgarrison View Post

If I'm not mistaken, there has to be a sheet of glass for the multitouch touch screen to work. Also, I've never had glare problems with my iPhone, ever. And my glossy 17" MBP doesn't bother me either.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #23 of 139
Even if some customers may think that the web without Flash is a better one, Apple should support it and let the user decide weather to enable or disable it.

Adobe is Apple's seconds largest software partner (after MS). I hope Adobe will fight back this childish war and they will not release the next version of Photoshop for Mac OS X. Most designers are not able to switch from Photoshop but from Mac OS.
post #24 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

If I'm not mistaken, there has to be a sheet of glass for the multitouch touch screen to work. Also, I've never had glare problems with my iPhone, ever. And my glossy 17" MBP doesn't bother me either.

Hmm ... I don't think the glass is a requirement. I remember Apple talking about how they tried many different iterations for the surface when the original iPhone was announced, including non-glass surfaces. Maybe I am wrong ... though their new Magic Mouse is multi-touch, is the surface of that glass? I haven't used one yet, so not sure.

As far as reflections - I'm surprised you've never had an issue with it. I'm sure it depends on how/where the device is being used. I know, for me, I use it a lot on the train and the small lights above the seats and harsh fluorescent light of the train make it very hard to focus on the video playing and not my very-clear reflection. More diffuse lighting situations are less of an issue. Also depends on the material being played, darker movies cause more visible reflection, brighter stuff less so.

Even a mild anti-glare coating could help without destroying the contrast benefits of the glass.
post #25 of 139
Quote:

I agree, but if the vast majority of the web uses flash, how can Steve Jobs boast a great web experience on the iPad? When is HTML 5 going to be universally adopted? in a year? 2 years? 5? I think half the value of iPad is the web experience on a screen larger than my iPhone's.
I love the thought of getting on the web quickly without powering up my laptop or desktop. But not being able to watch a TV show on Hulu or a video on CNN, what's the point? I'm just tired of Jobs peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. It's not a great user experience if half the web is unavailable to me.

I don't think it's quite half the web but you're right, the HTML 5 spec won't be in action for a couple of years:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/

The Working Group Schedule of Milestones is:

2007-05 HTML5 and Web Forms 2.0 specs adopted as basis for review
2007-11 HTML Design Principles First Public Working Draft
2008-02 HTML5 First Public Working Draft
2010-01 HTML5 Last Call Working Draft
2010-12? HTML5 Candidate Recommendation
2012-01? HTML5 Proposed Recommendation
2012-03? HTML5 Recommendation

This is why Flash and DirectX exist in the first place - open groups just can't push things forward fast enough so they create makeshift solutions and they become accepted and ingrained.

Adobe really doesn't help by keeping things closed up but then again they charge money for their Flash IDE and their business depends on these suites. If they open sourced it, not only does it make their IDE easy to replicate, it is easier for people to find security holes.

It's a sticky situation altogether because Adobe can't viably change to an HTML 5 solution immediately and change or drop their IDE. Others don't want one company controlling the web standard but there's no alternate IDEs that match Flash and the HTML specs take forever to be widely accepted.

I don't want to say it but I actually like Silverlight. Their XAML, AJAX approach looks very good and more or less what we want from HTML 5 and eventually Adobe.
post #26 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The problem with that argument is that you still couldn't do it if Apple put Flash Lite on their iPhones. Some things to consider...
  1. Flash Lite can't play video from the popular sites you mentioned.
  2. Flash 10.1 looks to only be available for the Maemo on N900 right now, and that may still be in Beta.
  3. If it's Apple fault that Flash wasn't on the 2007 iPhone then why isn't Flash slated to arrive on Android, WebOS, WinMo or Symbian until mid-2010, 3.5 years later? Surely that can't be Apple's fault too.
  4. Flash 10.1 is going to require Android OS v2.0, leaving out a great many new Android handsets.
  5. Netbooks with 1.6Ghz Atom processors and 1-2GB RAM can't play Flash videos from these sites without them being choppy so Flash 10.1 has got to be great for these videos to stream on 400-600GHz ARM processors with only a 128-512MB RAM. I have doubt.
  6. Even if your goal is for Flash games, not video, how would one navigate since the controls won't work. The developer would have to rewrite Flash to accommodate the touchscreen device. Seems like a work for nothing.

The simple fact is that it's Adobe that dropped the ball a long time ago. They are the ones to blame for Flash not being available in 2007 or in 2010. You will see sites like Hulu change how they distribute video because they don't want to lose the potential customers of the quickly growing smartphone market. That doesn't mean they are dropping Flash from their sites for desktop OSes,

Great points, solipsism!

The other thing that gets me is when people make the claim (not here, so far) that it must be some huge conspiracy on SJ's part so as to increase its App Store revenue by preventing Flash-based competition for games. Quite apart from the fact that Apple makes very little on these sales (a la music or video sales through the iTunes Store), one has to wonder why Apple has no problems having competitors to Flash on the iPhone, iPod, and iPad.
post #27 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I agree with the second half with regards to Apple's hubris, especially with their adoption of the whole "Magic" thing. It's very quickly becoming a turn off for me.

I feel like the lack of flash on a small device like the IPHONE/POD is acceptable but hardly so on a 10" device such as the IPAD. It will be very interesting to see how the general/non tech pubic reacts to this exclusion when these things hit the stores in two months.

Yeah, their marketing is getting a bit out of hand. I think most people will roll their eyes at the use of "magic." They should have used that for the iPhone - that truly was like magic when it first came out.

I'm kind of ambivalent about Flash. As others have pointed out, that is mostly Adobe's (and, previously, Macromedia's) fault for never bringing the software up to speed. I know even simple Flash applications can bring my MacBook Pro to it's knees, causing it to burn up and go into fan overdrive; I can't imagine what it'd do to a machine so much less powerful.

My bigger issue is Apple's attitude towards it, pretending like the need doesn't exist or like anyone's opinions outside of their cult are not relevant. I fully support their move to HTML 5 -- but why not reach out and work with Adobe (or buy them) to help them create something to bridge the gap. It's a snobbery thing with Apple, and that doesn't help anyone.
post #28 of 139
Quote:

The great majority of the web doesn't use Flash for anything that is actually useful outside of video. Mobile optimized sites and mobile apps have all adopted H.264 for video streaming. So its all working the way Apple wants it to.

Quote:

You can't watch Hulu on any phone right now anyway, so the exclusion of flash makes no difference. Youtube, Vimeo, ESPN, NYTimes, CNN and many others have developed mobile sites and mobile apps that stream H.264 that any phone can display. So really nothing has been lost.
post #29 of 139
I know it is unlikely but consider this.

Mabye those screenshots arn't just stuck on the ipad...

Maybe that iPad isn't running iPhone OS 3.2...

Maybe OS 3.2 was the OS apple were using to show off the iPad - apple wouldn't want OS 4.0 and multitasking to force their new product to SHARE the Attention and down the hype which could mean less sales.
(multitasking still doesn't mean definate flash)

OS 4.0 could be coming with POSSIBLE flash support.
Apple will probably announce OS 4.0 (with extra features for ipad) in a month or so's time to catch you off guard.

But it's unlikely and probably just wishful thinking.

I guess only time can tell...
post #30 of 139
I'm not sure what you mean. No one is waiting for the final ratification of HTML5, HTML5 is in action right now. All of its pieces are not finished yet, they are being adopted as soon as they are ready to be used.

The mobile web is being developed with HTML5 as the foundation with no input from Flash or Silverlight. Its not yet fully in place but it will be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think it's quite half the web but you're right, the HTML 5 spec won't be in action for a couple of years:
post #31 of 139
I agree with you that Apple has not yet shown the goodies for OS 4.0. But no there isn't a snow balls chance in hell it will support Flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_fissurez View Post

Apple will probably announce OS 4.0 (with extra features for ipad) in a month or so's time to catch you off guard.
post #32 of 139
Quote:

How great would the user experience be when the browser crashes every couple of minutes, and the battery is dead in an hour? It's not as if Steve can wave his magic wand and make flash work on devices like the iPhone/iPad. Let me know when your awesome device comes out so I can buy one.
post #33 of 139
The same way the general public reacts to no flash on the iPhone/iTouch right now. Few people will care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

post #34 of 139
How would Flash even work on a touch device? I'm thinking about all the mouse over events and other non-click mouse movements some Flash apps need. If developers need to modify all their Flash code to have it work with touch devices, what's the point?
post #35 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_fissurez View Post

I know it is unlikely but consider this.

Mabye those screenshots arn't just stuck on the ipad...

Maybe that iPad isn't running iPhone OS 3.2...

Maybe OS 3.2 was the OS apple were using to show off the iPad - apple wouldn't want OS 4.0 and multitasking to force their new product to SHARE the Attention and down the hype which could mean less sales.
(multitasking still doesn't mean definate flash)

But it's unlikely and probably just wishful thinking.

I guess only time can tell...

*LOL. No. Just no. Even Apple is not THAT stupid

The most funny party is that those videos are most likely done with the help of Adobe After Effects.
post #36 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmson View Post

So iPad is basically worlds best adblocker?
http://www.bmson.is/bin/iPad/

Why would website allow iPad users to access their website if they can't display their ads.
They are no better than adBlock users, also known as bad consumers.

Talk about dumping on the victim.

By what twisted logic is the consumer at fault for trying to block advertisements that they didn't request and don't want in the first place? That's like blaming a mugging victim for having a money belt cause it makes it harder for the robber to shake them down.

The internet was fine before advertisements ruined it, and it would have evolved just as well without them. There were many polls taken at the time as far as I recall and *no-one* was in favour of bringing advertisements to the web, but it happened anyway.

Also, the number of people that hate ads so much that they take the time to block them is minimal, and those particular individuals (me included) are never going to buy anything out of an advertisement anyway, so it has no affect on sales.
post #37 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

How would Flash even work on a touch device? I'm thinking about all the mouse over events and other non-click mouse movements some Flash apps need. If developers need to modify all their Flash code to have it work with touch devices, what's the point?

Well, it works great on the Nexus One. So why shouldn't it on the iPad?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashpla...1/popup10.html
post #38 of 139
Maemo 5 (the N900) uses the Linux version of Flash 9.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

.[*]Flash 10.1 looks to only be available for the Maemo on N900 right now, and that may still be in Beta.
post #39 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

. The internet was fine before advertisements ruined it, and it would have evolved just as well without them. There were many polls taken at the time as far as I recall and *no-one* was in favour of bringing advertisements to the web, but it happened anyway.

I think you went a bit far, the web would not have developed the same way without advertisements. The web needs advertisements. Advertisements is the reason why Google can give everything away for free.

Quote:
Also, the number of people that hate ads so much that they take the time to block them is minimal, and those particular individuals (me included) are never going to buy anything out of an advertisement anyway, so it has no affect on sales.

That's not true you buy a lot of things because of advertisements. People like to think they are immune to marketing, but its not true.
post #40 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Well, it works great on the Nexus One. So why shouldn't it on the iPad?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashpla...1/popup10.html

That was terrible.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple removes display of Adobe Flash content from iPad promos