or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 27-inch iMac delays continue as production halt is rumored
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

27-inch iMac delays continue as production halt is rumored

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
Apple's big-screen 27-inch desktop iMac still has a shipping wait time of three weeks, and one new report has alleged that the company has ceased production of new units until it can address hardware issues.

Citing an anonymous source, Hardmac reported Monday that Apple has allegedly stopped assembling lines for the desktop. Supplies of the 27-inch iMac have been restricted for months as reports of screen flickering have persisted. While some have speculated the lack of availability has been due to those issues, there has been no confirmation from Apple.

"According to one of our sources, the company completely stopped the iMac 27" assembling lines," Hardmac wrote, "the production will not resume before Apple has finally found a reliable and definitive fix for the remaining past (flickering and flashing display) and new issues (yellowish panel and flickering display) affecting those models."

In addition, some customers have been contacted by Apple to let them know their recent iMac orders have been delayed. In January, shipments of the 27-inch iMac were pushed back to three weeks

In December, Apple released a software fix to address flickering on the 27-inch iMac screen, though many users have said the software update did not address the issue. Recently, some users reported discussions with AppleCare representatives that suggested yet another update was coming.

Further confirming issues with the new desktop, this weekend Gizmodo posted what was alleged to be an internal document from Apple on how to handle complaints of screen flickering and a yellowish tint on certain areas of the screen.

"Do not attempt a repair or replacement at this time," the document reads. "Explain that slight color variability is normal for LCD displays and in general does not warrant replacement. Customers who are concerned that their iMac has a yellow tint issue, and who provide contact information, will be contacted by Apple in approximately 3 weeks to arrange a LCD panel replacement."



For its part, Apple has said the delays are due to consumer demand for the new hardware. In December, the company formally apologized for its trouble in fulfilling orders, noting that the new iMac has been a "huge hit."

When it launched in October, the newly redesigned iMac was the best-selling desktop machine in the U.S., with the 21.5-inch model taking the top spot. The big-screen 27-inch model came in third in overall sales.
post #2 of 40
WOW Apple Q&A is seriously out of control ..... I seriously pray that they take their time with the Mac Pros and Notebooks. I would rather wait till mid March or early april to get new Mac Pros and Notebooks then to have them rush prototypes out to us, like they did with the iMac

......

THIS NEWS MAKES THE 22" iMac touchscreen rumor sound moot at this point.... don't expect that dream to arrive until 2011

................

The Memo is also telling support to basically LIE about the issues .... Maybe "Mobile devices" company is something we should take literally


..........................................

Gizmodo posted an article where a reader found a possible explanation for the yellow issues:

http://gizmodo.com/5459384/the-fault...nal-memo-apple

If he's right, then the problems originate in shipping and aren't really a matter of Quality Assurance, but of inadequate testing of the design prior to production.
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
Apple!

Think Different
Reply
post #3 of 40
Ordered Dec 29 and it arrives Wed Feb 3 after shipping on Fri Jan 29. I experienced 2 delays. I hope that mine is one of the first of those that are "fixed". I'm going to use this 27 inch i7 puppy for pro work so there's no room for off-color craziness or flickering. We shall see.
post #4 of 40
This is precisely the kind of problems that Windows fanbois and Apple-haters (including those on this forum) will use to question (nicely said) Apple's price policy. It is in both Apple's as well as their customer's interest that this problem is solved quickly and decisively.
post #5 of 40
Is it possible that Dell is offered a better deal to LG on these panels and Apple is facing supply issues?
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Is it possible that Dell is offered a better deal to LG on these panels and Apple is facing supply issues?

no

i read somewhere this morning that it's something between the glass and the LED lighting that is there to spread the light around evenly. it's a manufacturing problem. Usually takes Intel over a year to perfect a new manufacturing process with a lot of silent upgrades
post #7 of 40
I ordered two 27" i7's the first week of January. They just arrived today. FedEx tracking show they shipped directly from China. So, far no problems with the screens (knock on wood.)
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

no

i read somewhere this morning that it's something between the glass and the LED lighting that is there to spread the light around evenly. it's a manufacturing problem. Usually takes Intel over a year to perfect a new manufacturing process with a lot of silent upgrades

It makes sense that it's not a panel issue, but a problem with the backlighting or the casing.

(Of course this wouldn't have happened if it were a matte screen).
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

This is precisely the kind of problems that Windows fanbois and Apple-haters (including those on this forum) will use to question (nicely said) Apple's price policy. It is in both Apple's as well as their customer's interest that this problem is solved quickly and decisively.

It has nothing to do with Apple's price policy but everything to do with Apple's continued neglect of its MAC line. From its latest gigantic iPod to its sloppy release and subsequent numerous updates to Snow Leopard (Quicktime is still worse than Quicktime 7) Macs have been put on Apple's backburner ever since it's become known as the iPhone company.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

WOW Apple Q&A is seriously out of control .....

If he's right, then the problems originate in shipping and aren't really a matter of Quality Assurance, but of inadequate testing of the design prior to production.

I stopped by an Apple store in Dallas last night. They had the 27 inch in stock. Yes, the did say that they are slow in coming in but they are selling very well. They did not indicate any problems.

Just a thought,
en
post #11 of 40
Every now and than a slight flicker on my 27-inch. No colour problems, though. Apple techies told me it's a software problem. So, where's the fix, I may wonder?
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

This is precisely the kind of problems that Windows fanbois and Apple-haters (including those on this forum) will use to question (nicely said) Apple's price policy. It is in both Apple's as well as their customer's interest that this problem is solved quickly and decisively.

Wait, what, what does this have to do with price policy.

Ok now that that is settled continue trolling.
post #13 of 40
mine is flawless, best screen i've ever seen and fastest Mac I've ever had. This thing is amazing.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #14 of 40
As an aside: I realize that a lot of people think 'bigger is better' and all, but how do people like viewing the gargantuan monitor at the typical distances we place ourselves from our computers? (The optimal distance, in part, mandated by how pages render when scaled up, esp. on the web).

The reason is ask is, I have a 24-inch iMac, and every time I sit in front of it, part of me wishes for something smaller. I might go with a 22-inch the next time.
post #15 of 40
This is the price you pay when you innovate. Apple could just sit back and keep selling the same displays as before, but because they are driven to innovate and try new things (including new screens) you get problems like these. I have a somewhat defective LCD on my macbook as well (I have some areas where pixels are brighter then other areas) and I can say I am pretty pissed about that. On the other hand I would not trade my macbook for a dell, even if it had a perfect screen.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As an aside: I realize that a lot of people think 'bigger is better' and all, but how do people like viewing the gargantuan monitor at the typical distances we place ourselves from our computers? (The optimal distance, in part, mandated by how pages render when scaled up, esp. on the web).

The reason is ask is, I have a 24-inch iMac, and every time I sit in front of it, part of me wishes for something smaller. I might go with a 22-inch the next time.

For our office, most of the staff uses two 22" screens. You get the same screen area with a 27", but lose the pivot in the center (good or bad). With a mac, I hate using two screens, since the menubar does not span or duplicate. (I stack my screens, so the menu bar is in the center.)

People have different needs; I wouldn't think the 27" is for everybody, but it does work well in a home as something you can use from a distance.
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

mine is flawless, best screen i've ever seen and fastest Mac I've ever had. This thing is amazing.

I wish my experience was flawless...my first one had to wait a month to ship..it finally came and within a day the screen was terrible. Flickering and going black...took it to apple store...they ordered new parts and then got a phone call from the manager who talked to corporate and decided that it wasn't right to "repair" such a new machine and told me to come pick up a brand new one 5(!) days later... i was quite annoyed because i know they had i5's in stock when i dropped it off. Now on my second one, screen if perfect, no flickers or anything. BUT.... my superdrive is giving me problems! it reads cd's and dvd's but when if i put in a blank cd its makes noises and ejects it 10 secs later. Even does it under bootcamp... i have tried everything and googled it. Anyone have any ideas? thanks
post #18 of 40
Do you really think the apple will be releasing a nw macbook pro soon??


Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

WOW Apple Q&A is seriously out of control ..... I seriously pray that they take their time with the Mac Pros and Notebooks. I would rather wait till mid March or early april to get new Mac Pros and Notebooks then to have them rush prototypes out to us, like they did with the iMac

......

THIS NEWS MAKES THE 22" iMac touchscreen rumor sound moot at this point.... don't expect that dream to arrive until 2011

................

The Memo is also telling support to basically LIE about the issues .... Maybe "Mobile devices" company is something we should take literally


..........................................

Gizmodo posted an article where a reader found a possible explanation for the yellow issues:

http://gizmodo.com/5459384/the-fault...nal-memo-apple

If he's right, then the problems originate in shipping and aren't really a matter of Quality Assurance, but of inadequate testing of the design prior to production.
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

WOW Apple Q&A is seriously out of control ..... I seriously pray that they take their time with the Mac Pros and Notebooks. I would rather wait till mid March or early april to get new Mac Pros and Notebooks then to have them rush prototypes out to us, like they did with the iMac

......

THIS NEWS MAKES THE 22" iMac touchscreen rumor sound moot at this point.... don't expect that dream to arrive until 2011

................

The Memo is also telling support to basically LIE about the issues .... Maybe "Mobile devices" company is something we should take literally


..........................................

Gizmodo posted an article where a reader found a possible explanation for the yellow issues:

http://gizmodo.com/5459384/the-fault...nal-memo-apple

If he's right, then the problems originate in shipping and aren't really a matter of Quality Assurance, but of inadequate testing of the design prior to production.

Do you really think apple is releasing a new Macbook pro soon?
post #20 of 40
Do any of you think Mac will be releasing a new touch screen macbook pro any time soon?
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppem1 View Post

Do any of you think Mac will be releasing a new touch screen macbook pro any time soon?

Touchscreen? Not a snowballs chance in hell.
New MBP? They should be along shortly. The i5 is basically begging to be in one.
post #22 of 40
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/01/...chscreen-imac/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

THIS NEWS MAKES THE 22" iMac touchscreen rumor sound moot at this point.... don't expect that dream to arrive until 2011
post #23 of 40
It looks as though the decision I made to wait before purchasing my i5 was the right one!
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppem1 View Post

Do any of you think Mac will be releasing a new touch screen macbook pro any time soon?

See above ^
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I wish my experience was flawless...my first one had to wait a month to ship..it finally came and within a day the screen was terrible. Flickering and going black...took it to apple store...they ordered new parts and then got a phone call from the manager who talked to corporate and decided that it wasn't right to "repair" such a new machine and told me to come pick up a brand new one 5(!) days later... i was quite annoyed because i know they had i5's in stock when i dropped it off. Now on my second one, screen if perfect, no flickers or anything. BUT.... my superdrive is giving me problems! it reads cd's and dvd's but when if i put in a blank cd its makes noises and ejects it 10 secs later. Even does it under bootcamp... i have tried everything and googled it. Anyone have any ideas? thanks

try a different brand of cd.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

try a different brand of cd.

Thats not the issue, as my first iMac burned the windows 7 disk I used for bootcamp. And now I need to burn it again, with the same type of CD and from the same actual package, but the new iMac just spits out the blank ones and will not accept them no matter what I do.
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Thats not the issue, as my first iMac burned the windows 7 disk I used for bootcamp. And now I need to burn it again, with the same type of CD and from the same actual package, but the new iMac just spits out the blank ones and will not accept them no matter what I do.

Different branded drives can be use within the same models of iMacs, lend off a different brand CD off a friend and try it out. Otherwise get it down to the apple store and get them to take a look, its very easy to swap out a disc drive.
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"According to one of our sources, the company completely stopped the (...) assembling lines," Hardmac wrote, "the production will not resume before (they have) finally found a reliable and definitive fix for the remaining past (...) and new issues (...) affecting those models."

Is this Apple or Toyota?
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Is this Apple or Toyota?

Nah, its Honda's Jazz/Fit
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As an aside: I realize that a lot of people think 'bigger is better' and all, but how do people like viewing the gargantuan monitor at the typical distances we place ourselves from our computers? (The optimal distance, in part, mandated by how pages render when scaled up, esp. on the web).

The reason is ask is, I have a 24-inch iMac, and every time I sit in front of it, part of me wishes for something smaller. I might go with a 22-inch the next time.

My 27 inch has had no problems. When I first sat down in front of it, it seemed bigger than it appeared looking at in the store. I wondered how big the 30 inch would look.

I do enjoy all the screen space in FCP and iMovie.
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

Nah, its Honda's Jazz/Fit

its not as bad as the Ford Explorer rollovers or exploding Pintos.
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Is this Apple or Toyota?

i looked at a Camry last year when my wife wanted a new car. even though it looked bland i tried to convince my wife that it was a killer car. we ended up with an Accord
post #33 of 40
I like Apple and their HIGH QUALITY hardware. Anyone?
post #34 of 40
Could be substandard slave labor chinese manufacturing or could have been Ive going just a bit too far and the laws of physics coming into effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

This is the price you pay when you innovate. Apple could just sit back and keep selling the same displays as before, but because they are driven to innovate and try new things (including new screens) you get problems like these. I have a somewhat defective LCD on my macbook as well (I have some areas where pixels are brighter then other areas) and I can say I am pretty pissed about that. On the other hand I would not trade my macbook for a dell, even if it had a perfect screen.

I would like to see some innovating because things haven't changed all that much on the desktop side in years. Subtle variations of the same form factors for the iMac and the Mac Pro and Mini literally have not seen a new case since they were using PowerPCs. Stuffing things into a smaller space and making them harder to work on while losing features isn't innovating.
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyGuy View Post

Ordered Dec 29 and it arrives Wed Feb 3 after shipping on Fri Jan 29. I experienced 2 delays. I hope that mine is one of the first of those that are "fixed". I'm going to use this 27 inch i7 puppy for pro work so there's no room for off-color craziness or flickering. We shall see.

I also orderd mine on the 29th of December. (also the 27" i7). Mine still has not shipped. I am going to be using mine for professional purposes as well, and off color will be unacceptable.
post #36 of 40
Well Apple really screw it this time. A machine for $2k that doesn't work as expected.
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

Different branded drives can be use within the same models of iMacs, lend off a different brand CD off a friend and try it out. Otherwise get it down to the apple store and get them to take a look, its very easy to swap out a disc drive.

Or just an external burner.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguider View Post

Well Apple really screw it this time. A machine for $2k that doesn't work as expected.

great first post. this is a rumor, there are delays. not all are affected. i have one that is flawless so this isn't widespread. i'm sure with a million or more of anything you'll have some issues.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

not all are affected. i have one that is flawless .

well yeah, not all are affected, but judging from the posts around the web, the 2 patches from Apple and the support forum on Apple.com the issue is serious and do not affect only few macs. But congratulations for your machine
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguider View Post

Well Apple really screw it this time. A machine for $2k that doesn't work as expected.

Both of mine work as advertised without flaws. Your generalization is too broad and is not substantiated in fact.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 27-inch iMac delays continue as production halt is rumored