or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Rumors of a Verizon-compatible CDMA Apple iPad persist
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumors of a Verizon-compatible CDMA Apple iPad persist

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 
Despite Apple last week introducing an AT&T-only 3G data plan for the iPad in the U.S., rumors continue to persist that the hardware maker will introduce a CDMA-capable model for the Verizon network.

Citing a source within Verizon, Silicon Alley Insider reported Monday that a CDMA-compatible iPad is "still in the works."

Introduced last week, the new iPad comes in a 3G-enabled version with a $130 price premium. The GSM-only version will offer no-contract data plans with AT&T, running $15 per month for 250MB of data, or $30 per month for unlimited access.

If the rumor proves accurate, a Verizon-compatible iPad would likely be an entirely new hardware version, rather than a "world mode" device. The 3G-capable AT&T iPad is scheduled to launch in three months.

In addition to Monday's anonymous tip, analysts Brian Marshall, with Broadpoint AmTech, and Ashok Kumar, with Northeast Securities, also said they still believe a Verizon iPad will arrive in the near future. Both incorrectly predicted that Apple would introduce a Verizon-capable iPad last week.

Last week, Apple executives made a clear effort to demonstrate they are happy with their partnership with AT&T. The company also aimed to downplay speculation that the iPhone would become available on multiple carriers in the U.S.

On a conference call following its quarterly earnings report, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said multi-carrier strategies are not the best option for every country.

"I don't want to imply that would happen in every market or that we are headed that way in every market," Cook said. He also specifically defended AT&T and said the nation's second-largest wireless carrier is working to alleviate coverage concerns across the country.

In the months of lead-up to the iPad announcement last week, numerous reports suggested Apple would introduce devices compatible with the networks of both AT&T and Verizon. Marshall went as far as to call Verizon compatibility "a certainty."

Contacted by Silicon Alley Insider, the analyst said he's "not 100 percent sure" what happened, but he believes a Verizon iPad is coming in the near-term, and a CDMA iPhone will arrive in the second half of 2010.

Analysts now believe a partnership with Verizon -- perhaps for both the iPhone and the iPad -- could be unveiled at the Worldwide Developers Conference this summer. A calendar listing for San Francisco's Moscone Center has led some to believe that WWDC 2010 could take place between June 28 and July 2.
post #2 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Contacted by Silicon Alley Insider, the analyst said he's "not 100 percent sure" what happened, but he believes a Verizon iPad is coming in the near-term, and a CDMA iPhone will arrive in the second half of 2010.

come on now.
post #3 of 74
iPad/iPhone running on verizon network rumors are the new Macs running on Intel hardware rumors.

I'm sure Apple is concurrently developing hardware for the Verizon network but just hasn't released it yet for whatever reason. Probably cause Verizon is too arrogant. You can't have two arrogant people in a marriage.
post #4 of 74
Man they are trying hard to get Verizon shares higher!
post #5 of 74
Why would Apple spend the time and effort to do this, when Verizon is switching to a global standard next year?
post #6 of 74
If Apple allows BT tethering, just use your Droid. Or a couple of them if you need to talk at the same time.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #7 of 74
Verizon, you blew it....twice. In 2007 with the iPhone and now in 2010 with the iPad. The entire world is going to HSPA-3G (Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle, Sony eReader)....no one wants to build a CDMA product. They want 1 product....that works for most of the world.

If I were you, I would have offered Apple, Amazon, Sony full engineering support (read $s) for CDMA versions of their products.

For now, you must wait on the sidelines until 2014 when your 4G footprint is large enough to support these devices.

Enough of the rumors, false hopes, and scare tactics to keep your customers from defecting. Sad.....very sad.
post #8 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon, you blew it....twice. In 2007 with the iPhone and now in 2010 with the iPad. The entire world is going to HSPA-3G (Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle, Sony eReader)....no one wants to build a CDMA product. They want 1 product....that works for most of the world.

If I were you, I would have offered Apple, Amazon, Sony full engineering support (read $s) for CDMA versions of their products.

For now, you must wait on the sidelines until 2014 when your 4G footprint is large enough to support these devices.

Enough of the rumors, false hopes, and scare tactics to keep your customers from defecting. Sad.....very sad.


Agree ! Totally !

Unless Verizon can come up with a SIM card, that means easy of use, users are not locked in to device like all Verizon's phones.
post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite Apple last week introducing an AT&T-only 3G data plan for the iPad in the U.S., rumors continue to persist that the hardware maker will introduce a CDMA-capable model for the Verizon network.

Citing a source within Verizon, Silicon Alley Insider reported Monday that a CDMA-compatible iPad is "still in the works."

Introduced last week, the new iPad comes in a 3G-enabled version with a $130 price premium. The GSM-only version will offer no-contract data plans with AT&T, running $15 per month for 250MB of data, or $30 per month for unlimited access.

If the rumor proves accurate, a Verizon-compatible iPad would likely be an entirely new hardware version, rather than a "world mode" device. The 3G-capable AT&T iPad is scheduled to launch in three months.

In addition to Monday's anonymous tip, analysts Brian Marshall, with Broadpoint AmTech, and Ashok Kumar, with Northeast Securities, also said they still believe a Verizon iPad will arrive in the near future. Both incorrectly predicted that Apple would introduce a Verizon-capable iPad last week.

Last week, Apple executives made a clear effort to demonstrate they are happy with their partnership with AT&T. The company also aimed to downplay speculation that the iPhone would become available on multiple carriers in the U.S.

On a conference call following its quarterly earnings report, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said multi-carrier strategies are not the best option for every country.

"I don't want to imply that would happen in every market or that we are headed that way in every market," Cook said. He also specifically defended AT&T and said the nation's second-largest wireless carrier is working to alleviate coverage concerns across the country.

In the months of lead-up to the iPad announcement last week, numerous reports suggested Apple would introduce devices compatible with the networks of both AT&T and Verizon. Marshall went as far as to call Verizon compatibility "a certainty."

Contacted by Silicon Alley Insider, the analyst said he's "not 100 percent sure" what happened, but he believes a Verizon iPad is coming in the near-term, and a CDMA iPhone will arrive in the second half of 2010.

Analysts now believe a partnership with Verizon -- perhaps for both the iPhone and the iPad -- could be unveiled at the Worldwide Developers Conference this summer. A calendar listing for San Francisco's Moscone Center has led some to believe that WWDC 2010 could take place between June 28 and July 2.

This is vaporware designed to keep Verizon customers fleeing for AT&T to get the iPad. Verizon sucks.
post #10 of 74
Yawn.
post #11 of 74
The way investors continue to create fact out of fiction never ceases to amaze me.

These folks are on the hook for creating a reality that isn't happening and need to continue to feed this as fact.
post #12 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 3G-capable AT&T iPad is scheduled to launch in three months.

I've seen this "3 months" in several articles. How do they get 3 months from 60 days?
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkgray View Post

I've seen this "3 months" in several articles. How do they get 3 months from 60 days?

60 days for the wifi iPad. 90 days for the 3G enabled one.
post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite Apple last week introducing an AT&T-only 3G data plan for the iPad in the U.S., rumors continue to persist that the hardware maker will introduce a CDMA-capable model for the Verizon network.

I think Apple engaged in talks with Verizon to get better pricing for AT&T on the iPad. The second SKU just for Verizon is not all that attractive to Apple. They are a world-company now and developing a CDMA iPad is a distraction.
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkgray View Post

I've seen this "3 months" in several articles. How do they get 3 months from 60 days?

Apple's page says shipping late March for the WiFi version and April for the WiFi+3G.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #16 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

I think Apple engaged in talks with Verizon to get better pricing for AT&T on the iPad. The second SKU just for Verizon is not all that attractive to Apple. They are a world-company now and developing a CDMA iPad is a distraction.

There may be some truth to that but if Apple was not able to easily make different configurations they wouldn't be offering 6 different SKUs in the first place. It would be easy enough to have a CDMA version if they really wanted to, it could even have Flash, but for some reason I think we'll see neither.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #17 of 74
I Think Steve Would Call CDMA a "Rounding Error"
post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkgray View Post

I've seen this "3 months" in several articles. How do they get 3 months from 60 days?

The Wi-Fi only version, starting at $499, is expected to ship by the end of March. The 3G-enabled version, which carries a $130 premium, should arrive a month later.
post #19 of 74
Advantages of CDMA include:

Increased cellular communications security.
Simultaneous conversations.
Increased efficiency, meaning that the carrier can serve more subscribers.
Smaller phones.
Low power requirements and little cell-to-cell coordination needed by operators.
Extended reach - beneficial to rural users situated far from cells.
Disadvantages of CDMA include:
Due to its proprietary nature, all of CDMA's flaws are not known to the engineering community.
CDMA is relatively new, and the network is not as mature as GSM.
CDMA cannot offer international roaming, a large GSM advantage.


The Euro-Asian Alternative: GSM

Analysts consider Qualcomm's major competitive disadvantage to be its lack of access to the European market now controlled by Global System for Mobile communications (GSM). The wireless world is now divided into GSM (much of Western Europe) and CDMA (North America and parts of Asia).

Bad timing may have prevented the evolution of one, single global wireless standard. Just two years before CDMA's 1995 introduction in Hong Kong, European carriers and manufacturers chose to support the first available digital technology - Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA). GSM uses TDMA as its core technology. Therefore, since the majority of wireless users are in Europe and Asia, GSM has taken the worldwide lead as the technology of choice.

Mobile Handset manufacturers ultimately split into two camps, as Motorola, Lucent, and Nextel chose CDMA, and Nokia and Ericsson eventually pushed these companies out and became the dominant GSM players.

Advantages of GSM:
GSM is already used worldwide with over 450 million subscribers.
International roaming permits subscribers to use one phone throughout Western Europe. CDMA will work in Asia, but not France, Germany, the U.K. and other popular European destinations.
GSM is mature, having started in the mid-80s. This maturity means a more stable network with robust features. CDMA is still building its network.
GSM's maturity means engineers cut their teeth on the technology, creating an unconscious preference.
The availability of Subscriber Identity Modules, which are smart cards that provide secure data encryption give GSM m-commerce advantages.
In brief, GSM is a "more elegant way to upgrade to 3G," says Strategis Group senior wireless analyst Adam Guy.

Disadvantages of GSM:
Lack of access to burgeoning American market.


Today, the battle between CDMA and GSM is muddled. Where at one point Europe clearly favored GSM and North America, CDMA, the distinct advantage of one over the other has blurred as major carriers like AT&T Wireless begin to support GSM, and recent trials even showed compatibility between the two technologies.

GSM still holds the upper hand however. There's the numerical advantage for one thing: 456 million GSM users versus CDMA's 82 million.
post #20 of 74
As somebody said, "Verizon sucks !!"

Apple hates Verizon. Steve believes in loyalty. At one of the Walter Mossberg (D3, or D4 , or whatever) conferences, he told Walter that he was grateful to AT&T for taking a chance on Apple even before AT&T had seen the iPhone. And that he (Steve) would never forget that.

All this talk about iPhone, or iPad, for Verizon is just hooey.

What Apple wants to do is work with AT&T to change the game in the cellphone industry. See how the iPad has a data only plan? I bet something similar will come to the iPhone. Apple knows that if you lower prices, you can gain market share. If AT&T makes it cheaper to use an iPhone compared to other smartphones, you will have a large number of people go from Verizon to AT&T. But, AT&T needs to beef up its network capacity. Once the network is capable of handling a larger volume of traffic, you will see pricing changes. No separate voice and data prices, just one fixed price per month, and perhaps like the iPad, no contract. Simple, just what Apple likes.

I also think Apple will never build anything CDMA. They like as few models in their product line as possible. Easy to manage inventory.
post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite Apple last week introducing an AT&T-only 3G data plan for the iPad in the U.S., rumors continue to persist that the hardware maker will introduce a CDMA-capable model for the Verizon network.

The rumors can "persist" all they want. It ain't gonna happen.
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I Think Steve Would Call CDMA a "Rounding Error"

Except that Apple for the last 30 years --- has been a rounding error in the PC market share department as well.

If that 10% market share is highly profitable, then Apple should be in it.
post #23 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

If that 10% market share is highly profitable, then Apple should be in it.

That depends on who it would be profitable for. Something I don't see possible between Apple and Verizon...
post #24 of 74
It wouldn't be that hard for the 3G radio to be modular where they just swap a CDMA radio for a GSM unit. The challenge with the CDMA is they still need the worldphone chipset that can also do dual-band HSPDA, which would make that radio a $150-180 premium over the WiFi version.

I think Apple's ability to do a no-contract deal with AT&T, and to be able to easily activate and de-activate service as needed is the real genius of the approach. I just can't see Verizon agreeing to that. Sprint... maybe... but Verizon?!
post #25 of 74
Actually, I think Verizon should make a 3G hardware accessory (dongle) and app for the iPhone / Touch / iPad.

Imagine doing VOIP using a Verizon app on the iPod Touch!
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkgray View Post

I've seen this "3 months" in several articles. How do they get 3 months from 60 days?

60 days wifi

90 days wifi/3g
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Except that Apple for the last 30 years --- has been a rounding error in the PC market share department as well.

If that 10% market share is highly profitable, then Apple should be in it.

Like, for example, high end PCs? Apple is in that small, 10% market. Making billions. This has been the state of Apple, unchanged, for some time now.

Apple, as a worldwide company that often looks to the future sooner than others, probably could not fathom making a CDMA-anything. One glance at CDMA as worldwide factor puts it all into perspective.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I would not be investing any thought/interest into Apple & CDMA. It is simply not happening.

Some people made some bad predictions and are now publicly trying to save face. Since Apple never confirms or denies anything, analysts can make all the wild speculation they want, and back track as much as they want when it never pans out. The guy saying he's "not 100% sure what happened" is someone who never had any actual information to begin with, and puts off having to defend his (originally made up) claims, by differing for a few months.

Total nonsense.
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I Think Steve Would Call CDMA a "Rounding Error"

Maybe, but even an extra one or two hundred million on the bottom line would probably make it worth the effort.
I expect that AT&T is giving Apple something pretty healthy to make them stay.
post #29 of 74
This is getting old. Verizon is doing this to retain customers as long as possible. People are waiting till June to see what happens before they jump ship for an iPhone. Verizon is scraping the sides of the barrel. They are scared cause AT&T is catching upto their customer numbers even tho they suck coverage wise. Verizon even released an internal memo saying that the day the ipad was announced a big day was going to happen at 1pm. (same time as keynote). Did it happen? No. Apple kicked them in the nads and publicly backed AT&T.

I am getting sick of hearing the rumor of verizon. If he ipad was going to be veirzon too...they would have announce it at the keynote. Apple likes secrets but not post announcement surprises. It would discredit their announcments to the max.
post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

Maybe, but even an extra one or two hundred million on the bottom line would probably make it worth the effort.
I expect that AT&T is giving Apple something pretty healthy to make them stay.

Well, dropping the Mac Mini and white MacBook prices by $250 each tomorrow would likely have that result too. Doesn't mean its anywhere near an Apple-minded decision.
post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Actually, I think Verizon should make a 3G hardware accessory (dongle) and app for the iPhone / Touch / iPad.

Imagine doing VOIP using a Verizon app on the iPod Touch!

Imagine the daily dropped calls, just like every other carrier. Having 8 years of Verizon to back up my claims I'm not any more impressed with ``Can You Hear Me Now?'' today than I was back in 2002.

I'm on the I-90 corridor where 5 bars are a given.
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon, you blew it....twice. In 2007 with the iPhone and now in 2010 with the iPad. The entire world is going to HSPA-3G (Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle, Sony eReader)....no one wants to build a CDMA product. They want 1 product....that works for most of the world.

No kidding! That's the whole story.

No company is going to waste time, energy, resources and money to create a special version of a phone for a regional cell network standard that's due to be phased out in a few years.

ONE device that works on ANY network, WORLDWIDE.

PLEASE let their be an END to these iPhone on Verizon rumors!!!!
____________________________________
I'm going to start a brand new rumor:

Apple is making a special version of the iPad with parallel and serial ports just for Windows users.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Except that Apple for the last 30 years --- has been a rounding error in the PC market share department as well.

If that 10% market share is highly profitable, then Apple should be in it.

Heh heh, they have 5% of MSFT-based PCs' share and yet their market cap is 70% of that of MSFT!

Does it occur to you that represents actual wealth Apple has created, that puts food on people's tables, helps pay their rent and heat, sends their kids to college?

Last I looked, you can't eat off of market share.
post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It wouldn't be that hard for the 3G radio to be modular where they just swap a CDMA radio for a GSM unit. The challenge with the CDMA is they still need the worldphone chipset that can also do dual-band HSPDA, which would make that radio a $150-180 premium over the WiFi version.

I think Apple's ability to do a no-contract deal with AT&T, and to be able to easily activate and de-activate service as needed is the real genius of the approach. I just can't see Verizon agreeing to that. Sprint... maybe... but Verizon?!

Sprint is CDMA, too, so it's the same story as Verizon.

T-Mobile is 3G.
So only AT&T and T-Mobile support international cell phone standard sin the US.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post


Apple is making a special version of the iPad with parallel and serial ports just for Windows users.

Where do I sign up? Where do I sign up?
post #36 of 74
Damn it! this has been going on since the iPhone came out. Just stop reporting on those paid shills for christ sake.
post #37 of 74
Apple wants everyone to have an iPad. Why would they limit the 3G version to Verizon? Give people a choice.

I just want to tether my wi-fi iPad to my iPhone, which I am already paying for unlimited data. Gotta wait until that is confirmed.
post #38 of 74
Apple prides itself with offering the best cutting edge technology. If Apple will not support Adobe Flash because it views Flash as an inferior product, they are certainly not going to build an iPhone to work with Verizons CDMA network. The only way that you are going to see an iPhone on Verizons network is if Verizon upgrades its network, which it will start later this year with its 4G FTE for data and will be available in 2012 for voice (same time that AT&T has its 4G network).

If you want a smart phone on Verizons network, your best choice is to go with a Motorola Droid and in two years, the iPhone should be available for Verizon.
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

... The wireless world is now divided into GSM (much of Western Europe) and CDMA (North America and parts of Asia)...

This should read "Parts of North America, and Parts of Asia" actually.
post #40 of 74
People love to make this sh!t up.

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Rumors of a Verizon-compatible CDMA Apple iPad persist