or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Use timemachine to back up info on an external hard drive

Use timemachine to back up info on an external hard drive

post #1 of 3
hey,

I keep my documents (music, word files etc.) on an external hard drive and only have applications on my internal hd. I was wondering if I could use time machine to back up the docs on my external in case something happens to it. I have two external HDs, one for timemachine and one for my docs.

I know that I could just copy the docs to the time machine HD but I wouldn't know if I was overlaping already existing files.

Thanks
ET\
Running
Macbook Pro 15"
MAC OS X 10.5.8

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Running
Macbook Pro 15"
MAC OS X 10.5.8

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrinx32123 View Post

hey,

I keep my documents (music, word files etc.) on an external hard drive and only have applications on my internal hd. I was wondering if I could use time machine to back up the docs on my external in case something happens to it. I have two external HDs, one for timemachine and one for my docs.

I know that I could just copy the docs to the time machine HD but I wouldn't know if I was overlaping already existing files.

No, Time Machine creates a new folder on the target external HD next to already existing files and folders named "Backups.backupdb" in which it places the data files until that disk runs out of space.
post #3 of 3
Yes, it will. By default non-Time Machine external drives are automatically put into the "Exclude" Time Machine Preferences. So all you need to do is open Time Machine Preferences>Options and remove the non-Time Machine external drive
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Use timemachine to back up info on an external hard drive