or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Late 2009 Macbook Sudden Motion Sensor

Late 2009 Macbook Sudden Motion Sensor

post #1 of 3
So I recently replaced the hard disk in my Macbook with the Seagate Momentus 500 GB 7200.4 (ST905003N3A1AS) and I noticed that my Macbook no longer has that signature "click" that I became so accustomed to whenever I moved the computer.

So, does replacing the hard disk have some sort of effect on the Sudden Motion Sensor?
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewMG View Post

So I recently replaced the hard disk in my Macbook with the Seagate Momentus 500 GB 7200.4 (ST905003N3A1AS) and I noticed that my Macbook no longer has that signature "click" that I became so accustomed to whenever I moved the computer.

Huh? Never heard that "signature click". If I did I would be worried.

Quote:
So, does replacing the hard disk have some sort of effect on the Sudden Motion Sensor?

It shouldn't. Just like it shouldn't have any effect on your screen.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Huh? Never heard that "signature click". If I did I would be worried.

I got the MacBook in November. I noticed after I took it home that when I moved it while I was using it, I got a clicking sound. I *was* worried, until I googled it and saw this thread and others like it. Suddenly, after replacing the hard disk, it doesn't have that click anymore, so I just want some sort of reassurance that replacing the hard disk doesn't affect the SMS.

Quote:
It shouldn't. Just like it shouldn't have any effect on your screen.

Well, the SMS isn't designed to interact with the screen, it's designed to interact with your hard disk in the event of a catastrophic fall. So, no, it's not just like the relationship with the screen. I was curious if the SMS actually resided in the hard disk that shipped with the MacBook, as unlikely as that seemed. It was the only obvious explanation for the fact that swapping the hard disk out seemed to remove that clicking sound.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Late 2009 Macbook Sudden Motion Sensor