or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple allegedly selects new manufacturer for next-gen iPhone

Apple allegedly selects new manufacturer for next-gen iPhone

post #1 of 38
In addition to Apple's existing partnership with Foxconn, a new deal with Asus subsidiary Pegatron Technology is reportedly in place for the manufacturing of the next-generation iPhone.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Wednesday that Pegatron Technology has been selected by Apple for OEM production of the next-gen iPhone, expected to debut this summer. Pegatron will join Foxconn in manufacturing the handsets, industry sources reportedly said.

Officially, Pegatron declined to comment, but the company expects its handset shipments to "grow substantially in 2010," the report noted. The company produces LCD TVs and handsets, and is due to produce Microsoft's Project Natal motion controller sensor for the Xbox 360 this year.

Pegatron was previously connected to the iPhone last fall, when a report alleged that the company would build a new hybrid, world mode phone that would allow calls on both CDMA and GSM networks, granting access to Verizon Wireless in the U.S. The current iPhone manufacturer is Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., better known by its trade name of Foxconn.

This week, AppleInsider reported that sources said a next-generation iPhone prototype was pictured in a leaked photo of the Apple iPad before its introduction last week.

In other Apple hardware news, another DigiTimes report alleges that Genesys Logic has started sampling USB 3.0 controllers for a client, and sources have said that client is likely Apple. Genesys officials, however, have denied any partnership with the Mac maker.

Finally, Radiant Opto-Electronics of Taiwan will reportedly supply 300,000 LED backlight units for the forthcoming iPad. The iPad is due to arrive by the end of March starting at $499, with the 3G-enabled version set to debut a month later with a $130 premium.
post #2 of 38
There are some pictures of a probable iPhone V4 !
post #3 of 38
looks pretty sweet, has the front facing camera and the cool alum finish people want (me), apart from that doesnt have too many improvements, im not an expert in french but all it has is the ability for external hard drive, possibly apple made chip based on the A4,5 meagpixel back camera, os 4, and some battery feature I cant translate

pretty good, might just be the iphone ive been waiting for to leave my blackberry

the only thing I would add is make the apple apple in the back a LED flash for the new awesome 5 megapixel camera, apart from that seems like an awesome phone
post #4 of 38
Pegatron is no one in manufacturing any parts. Their strength is actually in the realm of production management and logistics.
Relations with factories seem being outsourced (if true anyway, DigiTimes is not credibility marvel).

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAdict View Post

looks pretty sweet, has the front facing camera and the cool alum finish people want (me), apart from that doesnt have too many improvements, im not an expert in french but all it has is the ability for external hard drive, possibly apple made chip based on the A4,5 meagpixel back camera, os 4, and some battery feature I cant translate

pretty good, might just be the iphone ive been waiting for to leave my blackberry

the only thing I would add is make the apple apple in the back a LED flash for the new awesome 5 megapixel camera, apart from that seems like an awesome phone

Also, the volume and mute buttons are on the opposite side of the phone in this picture. I don't know of any reason why they would want to switch that now. Especially with the camera being right there (the back camera).
post #6 of 38
they probably put it their to imitate the ipad, apple likes to keep form factors as similar as possible
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstix View Post

Wow, looks even thinner than the 3GS , or is that my imagination?
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

Wow, looks even thinner than the 3GS , or is that my imagination?

It's a mock up. The author said they used images of the iPad and interpolated what a unibody iPhone might look like.
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post

Also, the volume and mute buttons are on the opposite side of the phone in this picture. I don't know of any reason why they would want to switch that now. Especially with the camera being right there (the back camera).

Probably because they took a picture of their actual iPhone in the mirror then photoshopped from there!
post #10 of 38
Quote:

The edges look too sharp. If they build one like this, it wouldn't be as nice to hold in the hand as the current model.
post #11 of 38
This mock up does not take into consideration the necessity of a plastic cover of the antenna back side. It is there on both 1st gen iPhone and 3G enabled iPad.
post #12 of 38
I'm more excited about the USB3.0 controller news.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #13 of 38
Apple won't abandon the plastic I don't think....now that the iPhone is a massive sell with the public, it was no wonder they ditched the better quality aluminum in the first gen iphone then dropped the price for the 3G and ever since....

It probably saves Apple tens of millions to keep a cheap plastic back like they have now and gives them better profit margins too...
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm more excited about the USB3.0 controller news.

I'll second that, and also what about that Lightpeak cable?

Quote:

I do like the unibody design for the new iPhone though, but it will probably look more like a cross between the 3G iPad and an iPod classic for roundness and thickness. Also, I doubt it will have a forward facing camera if the iPad doesn't have one.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post

It's like the iPad. Most of us are right handed. So it's easier to push volume button with our right thumb, don't you think ? It seems logical !
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Apple won't abandon the plastic I don't think....now that the iPhone is a massive sell with the public, it was no wonder they ditched the better quality aluminum in the first gen iphone then dropped the price for the 3G and ever since....

It probably saves Apple tens of millions to keep a cheap plastic back like they have now and gives them better profit margins too...

That is true, but a man can dream can't he?

post #17 of 38
Quote:

Nice mock-up; and I really hope the next iPhone looks something like this.

One thing our Photochopper forgot to do is put the black plastic area across the top at the rear -- as per the 3G iPads. Otherwise reception will be really poor...

EDIT: Damn, got well beaten to the plastic strip spot!
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamthecarny View Post

It's a mock up. The author said they used images of the iPad and interpolated what a unibody iPhone might look like.

Absolutely.

There are myriad technical issues in this artist's rendition that make it rather improbable. Cellular performance is pretty bad with metal cases, which is why Apple (and their competitors) mostly use a plastic back. Also, this mockup is too thin for a decent autofocus camera part to be included in the design.

Of course, none of this will matter to the inane fanboys here. They live in an effing dreamworld that has nothing to do with reality, so they will gobble this sh*t up.

Sure is purty though.
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Absolutely.

There are myriad technical issues in this artist's rendition that make it rather improbable. Cellular performance is pretty bad with metal cases, which is why Apple (and their competitors) mostly use a plastic back. Also, this mockup is too thin for a decent autofocus camera part to be included in the design.

Of course, none of this will matter to the inane fanboys here. They live in an effing dreamworld that has nothing to do with reality, so they will gobble this sh*t up.

Sure is purty though.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Finding something with Photoshopping skills that can think through a concept logically seems to be impossible.

Though Apple did start using uni-body polycarbonate for the MacBook. Still, I don't think a squared edge facilitates a comfortable grip while adding material, thickness and weight for no reason. A device this small and light doesn't need the reinforcement that would result. It does look cool, though.
post #20 of 38
DigiTimes' track record on Apple rumours speaks for itself.
post #21 of 38
this may sound dumb but i know nothing about the topic:

cant apple place the antenna towards the front of the device, the black strips on the top and bottom? does the glass interfere with the signal or something?
if its possible then apple should go with something smilar to the mock up
if its not possible then give it a macbook-material-like finish in white or black, or paint it to look like alum
post #22 of 38
Quote:

It's by no means the topic. Spammer has posted some photoshop crap. And folks have got started with discussing that rendition because the real OP is neither credible nor fun anyway.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #23 of 38
Appleinsider
Would please list the Country of Origin for Apple suppliers. I would be interested in knowing what is made in the People's Republic of China as opposed to Taiwan, National China or other countries.
post #24 of 38
apple began selling the 3G S last June, right? how long before sales began did it announce that new model? what was the lead time on the earlier models?

I'm figuring that info would give us an idea when apple might announce the next iPhone model.

Also, after announced the first iPhone (jan at MWSF) how long was it before it began taking orders for that device, which was released in June IIRC?

I'm figuring that info would give us an idea when apple will begin taking orders for the iPad.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

apple began selling the 3G S last June, right? how long before sales began did it announce that new model? what was the lead time on the earlier models?

I'm figuring that info would give us an idea when apple might announce the next iPhone model.

Also, after announced the first iPhone (jan at MWSF) how long was it before it began taking orders for that device, which was released in June IIRC?

I'm figuring that info would give us an idea when apple will begin taking orders for the iPad.

Last year the time between HW demo and release date were short. We should still expect a few months between the iPhone OS 4.0 demo and SDK release. Devs need time for that.
January 9, 2007 iPhone introduced
June 3, 2007 Apple announced iPhone release date
June 27, 2007 iPhone released

March 6, 2008 Apple demos iPhone OS v2.0
June 9, 2008 Apple demos iPhone 3G
July 11, 2008 iPhone 3G released / iPhone OS v2.0 released

March 17, 2009 Apple demos iPhone OS v3.0
June 8, 2009 Apple demos iPhone 3GS
June 17, 2009 iPhone OS v3.0 released
June 19, 2009 iPhone 3GS released
post #26 of 38
Quote:

cant apple place the antenna towards the front of the device, the black strips on the top and bottom? does the glass interfere with the signal or something?
if its possible then apple should go with something smilar to the mock up
if its not possible then give it a macbook-material-like finish in white or black, or paint it to look like alum

Sure, Apple could break up the glass front with some plastic which would A.) make it look uglier, B.) compromise the overall strength of the front, and C.) zap more cellular radiation into your head.

The problem with the mockup is that it is out of touch with reality. Smartphone components take up room. Things like a good autofocus camera part don't fit in the space of a couple of millimeters. Also, you need room for an adequate battery. How iPhone owners wouldn't like more battery life?

I've never seen painted plastic parts in consumer electronics that didn't flake off and look sucky.
post #27 of 38
Quote:

Last year the time between HW demo and release date were short. We should still expect a few months between the iPhone OS 4.0 demo and SDK release. Devs need time for that.
January 9, 2007 — iPhone introduced
June 3, 2007 — Apple announced iPhone release date
June 27, 2007 — iPhone released

March 6, 2008 — Apple demos iPhone OS v2.0
June 9, 2008 — Apple demos iPhone 3G
July 11, 2008 — iPhone 3G released / iPhone OS v2.0 released

March 17, 2009 — Apple demos iPhone OS v3.0
June 8, 2009 — Apple demos iPhone 3GS
June 17, 2009— iPhone OS v3.0 released
June 19, 2009 — iPhone 3GS released

thanks, solipsism, you're always a great source for info.

So the 3G and 3G S were demo'd only weeks before release? Did apple begin taking orders after the announcement and prior to release, or only starting on the release date? (i THINK i recall ordering the first phone in advance, but maybe not)

when do you think apple will start taking orders for iPad, if it's available late march (wi-fi) and april (3G)? Or might it not take advance orders and just start selling on the release date? I'd think they'd see a biz advantage in being able to tout x 100s of k's presold, if that were the case.
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

thanks, solipsism, you're always a great source for info.

So the 3G and 3G S were demo'd only weeks before release? Did apple begin taking orders after the announcement and prior to release, or only starting on the release date? (i THINK i recall ordering the first phone in advance, but maybe not)

when do you think apple will start taking orders for iPad, if it's available late march (wi-fi) and april (3G)? Or might it not take advance orders and just start selling on the release date? I'd think they'd see a biz advantage in being able to tout x 100s of k's presold, if that were the case.

I know some countries took pre-orders, but I can't recall if Apple or AT&T did for any of the iPhone releases.

Despite only being weeks away they didn't give a date for the release. That, along with a lot of incidental evidence during the event, makes me think there are some internal issues with the iPad that aren't being fully disclosed. I wouldn't be surprised if the release was pushed back until April. Apple has missed self imposed deadlines before.
post #29 of 38
Interesting, Foxconn currently makes almost all of Apple products, I wonder what changed their minds?
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Interesting, Foxconn currently makes almost all of Apple products, I wonder what changed their minds?

I give up.

Money?
post #31 of 38
Quote:

January 9, 2007 — iPhone introduced @MWSF
June 3, 2007 — Apple announced iPhone release date
June 27, 2007 — iPhone released

March 6, 2008 — Apple demos iPhone OS v2.0
June 9, 2008 — Apple demos iPhone 3G @WWDC
July 11, 2008 — iPhone 3G released / iPhone OS v2.0 released

March 17, 2009 — Apple demos iPhone OS v3.0
June 8, 2009 — Apple demos iPhone 3GS @WWDC
June 17, 2009— iPhone OS v3.0 released
June 19, 2009 — iPhone 3GS released

Just added some info to the list. According to this article, WWDC might be in late June this year, and the next iPhone will probably be announced then.

I was hoping it would come out earlier as I am eager to get one, but I shouldn't count too much on that.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Just added some info to the list. According to this article, WWDC might be in late June this year, and the next iPhone will probably be announced then.

I was hoping it would come out earlier as I am eager to get one, but I shouldn't count too much on that.

Good additions.

I thought iPhone OS v4.0 would have demoed at event last week. The competition is catching up in many ways, including mindshare. I have to wonder if they originally intended to do that but somewhere along the way couldn't which is why the iPad is said to be running v3.2 and has an SDK to reflect that. I have to wonder if the iPad won't be released until after the v4.0 demo and SDK release so the OS can be based on many aspect of v4.0 but still not tip off devs with the SDK in the mean time.
post #33 of 38
Quote:

I thought iPhone OS v4.0 would have demoed at event last week. The competition is catching up in many ways, including mindshare. I have to wonder if they originally intended to do that but somewhere along the way couldn't which is why the iPad is said to be running v3.2 and has an SDK to reflect that. I have to wonder if the iPad won't be released until after the v4.0 demo and SDK release so the OS can be based on many aspect of v4.0 but still not tip off devs with the SDK in the mean time.

I was giving the iPhone OS 4.0 a fifty-fifty chance of being demoed last week, but in hindsight, I think I understand why it was not mentioned.

It makes sense for Apple to give the developers time to rework their apps for the iPad with the existing 3.x SDK before trying to introduce major new functionality with the 4.0 SDK. By keeping attention focused on SDK 3.2 for the iPad, Apple can drive development of existing and new apps so there are a plethora of apps that will work well at the iPad's launch in a month's time, rather than iPhone apps that are simply scaled up.

Once the iPad ships, then Apple can demo iPhone OS 4.0.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamthecarny View Post

Which is hopefully exactly what Apple is doing.
post #35 of 38
Quote:

Good additions.

Realistically, it was never likely or even possible to see iPhone 4.0 last week. I realized that because there simply wasn't enough time in one event, nor was there any emergency reason to rush the next iPhoneOS update. But like most, I still had it in the back of my mind. Now in hindsight it's easy to say these things, but it made just as much sense before. Also, with the release timeframe of the iPad, many have pointed out that it will likely match up with a March Apple Event to unveil iPhoneOS 4.0 (which will include new features to be found on the iPad when 4.0 hits later this summer). iPad will launch over the course of a few weeks, and everyone will be giddy to death. Not only will a great product be out, but only 2-3 months away from a major update and yet another piece of awesome new hardware (iPhone 4).

March->April->June is going to be an exciting time.
post #36 of 38
Quote:

I like the matte black border. Much better than the shinny black (which is actually glass)
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Realistically, it was never likely or even possible to see iPhone 4.0 last week. I realized that because there simply wasn't enough time in one event, nor was there any emergency reason to rush the next iPhoneOS update. But like most, I still had it in the back of my mind. Now in hindsight it's easy to say these things, but it made just as much sense before.

There were many, myself included, who feel that the increase in Android sales and mindshare meant that Apple couldn't wait a full year to continue with the rich Phone OS updates. That felt that v4.0 would have been demoed before the iPad and been out for release with the 4th iPhone HW in March-April.

As for realistically, I don't think it's impossible that the iPad OS isn't based more off 4.0 than 3.0, but is using the 3.2 SDK as to reveal anything about the next OS before its time.
post #38 of 38
Quote:

There were many, myself included, who feel that the increase in Android sales and mindshare meant that Apple couldn't wait a full year to continue with the rich Phone OS updates. That felt that v4.0 would have been demoed before the iPad and been out for release with the 4th iPhone HW in March-April.

As for realistically,I don't think it's impossible that the iPad OS isn't based more off 4.0 than 3.0, but is using the 3.2 SDK as to reveal anything about the next OS before its time.

Something like that. I don't think Apple is at all concerned about competition for the iPhone. That is, if they stick to their 4-year-running refresh timeline, it will indicate that they have no desire to "get ahead" of the market by releasing the new iPhone sooner rather than "later", a.k.a. on schedule. They might be able to do that by simply being better than the rest with hardware and software in June. I'm not certain that an early release would have any significant benefit to them.

As someone who has purchased each iPhone at its June/July launch, I'm once again upgrade eligible for a full discount on 6/29/2010. I'm not sure if this yearly eligibility has anything to with the iPhone specifically, but nobody else I know has seen this type of offer inside a 2 year contract.

I think AT&T has finally figured out that with popular hardware, it makes sense to subsidize new handsets every year, and extend the customers contract another 2 years. A 2 year contract is great value for AT&T, but getting customers to re-sign that agreement every year, is brilliant. Yes AT&T loses a few hundred dollars over 3 years compared to only offering a subsidy every 2 years, but they are not actually losing money at all, so it works out for them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple allegedly selects new manufacturer for next-gen iPhone