or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › AT&T outbid Verizon with cheaper Apple iPad data plans - rumor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T outbid Verizon with cheaper Apple iPad data plans - rumor - Page 2

post #41 of 86
Verizon failed again. Once they didn't want iPhone, now the iPad. What a company. wow!
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #42 of 86
I admit, I am with Verizon but it is only because AT&T's coverage where I live is so awful. I can't get a signal where I work or where I live and most places inbetween there is no signal. I live in the 77th largest city so while not NYC, I am not in the country either.

While we do have an AT&T store here, all they can say is that they have no clue when service will expand in our area. We don't have a T-Mobile store here.

I feel shut out of the ipad and iphone world because I can't get a signal. While GSM may be the world standard, many of us live in CDMA worlds where Verizon and Sprint has the best coverage.

It is not that I am refusing to switch to AT&T - I just can't switch until I can get coverage. It is so silly to have just one vendor in the US.
post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I doubt that Jobs is taking it personally. My guess is that he sees it entirely as a business decision.

I hope that is the case since it is a publicly traded company. The CEO of Apple should not make arbitrary decisions that could negatively affect the profitability of the corporation based solely on his emotional feelings about a potential partnership. Steve should act in accordance with the best interests of the shareholders.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #44 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hope that is the case since it is a publicly traded company. The CEO of Apple should not make arbitrary decisions that could negatively affect the profitability of the corporation based solely on his emotional feelings about a potential partnership. Steve should act in accordance with the best interests of the shareholders.

Based on AAPL stock performance since Steve's return, one would surmise that he is doing so.

I certainly cannot speak for all AAPL shareholders, but I -- for one -- am quite satisfied by the senior management's execution.
post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

I think it shows that the majority of data is used while you are on a wireless network...3G ties you over while you get to your destination. Wifi is everywhere...home, work, airports, train stations (and some trains), buses.

I would find it pretty hard to use 250 MB of 3G on the iPad with the amount of hotspots I am near, but thats just me. 3G also has a limit for apps and podcasts downloads...you have to be hooked up to wireless for anything over 10MB I believe.

Well, there are hundreds of Wi-Fi spots in my area, but most of them are someway blocked. Only few of them have free access. :-(
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
post #46 of 86
Back when Morris was making predictions about the iPad and claiming a source within Apple, some of us wondered why Apple would tell this guy anything. Turns out, they didn't

Caveat Lector, it still applies.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino View Post

The 5-year contract was always rumor. Pundits today are claiming that it was actually a 3-year contract, which means "some time this year".

Pundits are about as accurate as rumors. I can believe the contract had performance metrics for both parties that could lead to early termination or renegotiation, but we've no evidence that this has occurred. Rumors of Apple working with Verizon are just as likely the result of a plethora of Apple competitors wanting to instill uncertainty in the market and delay Apple buyers from committing.

Quote:
As for 4G, you're still going to want backward compatibility to CDMA if you choose to support VZW customers.

Alternatively, Verizon will just have to roll out LTE rather broadly by mid-2012 (which actually gives them a long time) if they want to capture any of the Apple market. Seems like Verizon has a great opportunity here, since they've little data traffic to support as they upgrade. Let's watch Verizon's 4G map as this happens.


Quote:
Historically, VZW has ticked off lots of customers with their business practices.

BINGO!
post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniMoe View Post

It's this simple... Apple will never support CDMA.

The iPhone was launched in South Korea late last year, and SK is a CDMA-only market.
post #49 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaL View Post

I feel shut out of the ipad and iphone world because I can't get a signal. While GSM may be the world standard, many of us live in CDMA worlds where Verizon and Sprint has the best coverage.

It is not that I am refusing to switch to AT&T - I just can't switch until I can get coverage. It is so silly to have just one vendor in the US.

Do you have WiFi hotspots? iPads all support WiFi.
post #50 of 86
Revised Edit
post #51 of 86
Revised Edit
post #52 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I don't think so.

South Korea uses WCDMA, which is the foundation of UMTS and HSPA -- and which the existing iPhone 3G/3GS already support.

CDMA in the US (and part of China) is CDMA2000, which despite the name is incompatible.

If I am right, perhaps you could remove your post and I will mine.

No need to remove anything. If you're right, I am wrong. Big deal. I can live with it.
post #53 of 86
Revised Edit
post #54 of 86
One thing I find interesting about the announcement of AT&T as the sole data provider for iPad is that Apple evidently doesn't view them negatively as do many posters here and elsewhere.

Perhaps AT&T's coverage issues are overblown and/or Apple has seen their upgrade plans and is comfortable moving forward with them for the iPad.

Regarding iPhone, you could argue that Apple entered into an agreement with AT&T and could not move to VZW, but the iPad announcement paints a different picture I think.

If in fact AT&T's network were as overwhelmed as some would have you believe, why would Apple hitch another data hungry product to that train? You might also question why AT&T would have agreed to offer such a seemingly good deal for 3G data on iPad if their network were as data congested as surmised.

Very interesting indeed.
post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Do you have WiFi hotspots? iPads all support WiFi.

Yes - but that sort of defeats the purpose IMO. I really want an iPhone. I want an iPad that I can use in places other than McDonalds and Starbucks. I have an iPod Touch but don't use it that often other than music because the times I am in wifi spots, I have a computer (such as work, home, etc..)

Again, I am glad that many of you have choices. Next time you are on AT&T's website, look at the coverage at most of the midwest. It isn't that good.
post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

Dude read a dictionary sometime.

Seriously.

I was in a hurry DUDE! You got the the point didn't you
DUDE!! I'd like to say something better to you, but if I do
appleinsider will ban me for a week.
post #57 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

And this type of illiterate rapid foaming at the mouth type of post is what you get when you watch too much Keith Olbermann...

Somebody get this Son0fsocal a real education please!

The real problem is right wing wakos like you're self that have
this superior complex about themselves, and think that by
putting other people down, makes them feel better about them
self!! So... Feel better???
post #58 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaL View Post

Yes - but that sort of defeats the purpose IMO. I really want an iPhone. I want an iPad that I can use in places other than McDonalds and Starbucks. I have an iPod Touch but don't use it that often other than music because the times I am in wifi spots, I have a computer (such as work, home, etc..)

Again, I am glad that many of you have choices. Next time you are on AT&T's website, look at the coverage at most of the midwest. It isn't that good.

AT&T coverage is pretty good here in Indianapolis. Agreed regarding iPhone that if you don't get good 3G coverage from AT&T where you live, then you're kind of 'left out'.

I'm from Pittsburgh originally, and I have friends there who would love to have iPhones but claim that AT&T coverage there is inadequate. They are all wed to Verizon unfortunately. I do wonder how bad AT&T coverage actually is there. I've no doubt that VZW is better there as they are firmly entrenched in the midwest, but they also advertise the heck out of that. I wonder how much of it is advertising bravado, and how much if it is current reality.
post #59 of 86
This is just an idea, but do you think the lack of video chat on the ipad is due to ATT not agreeing to an unlimited data package with video chat capabilities on the ipad? Because of the higher data usage video chat would bring?

I'll bet that's why there is no isight camera on the ipad????
post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

AT&T coverage is pretty good here in Indianapolis. Agreed regarding iPhone that if you don't get good 3G coverage from AT&T where you live, then you're kind of 'left out'.

I disagree, where I live I typically only get Edge on my 3GS but when I travel to bigger cities I get 3G. Personally, I've never really found it to be that big of a deal, I mean I'd like to have 3G, but I'm not going to cry myself to sleep about it.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
Reply
post #61 of 86
Verizon may want the iPhone business, but not at a price that even Apple is willing to be a part of. AT&T is willing to take the business now no matter how well their network is or isn't able to handle it.

I think AT&T is making the right decision. Hate it or not, it works for some people enough for them to keep their phones.
post #62 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

And this type of illiterate rapid foaming at the mouth type of post is what you get when you watch too much Keith Olbermann...

Somebody get this Son0fsocal a real education please!

You forgot to add Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity to this list. His rant sounds like some of the same half-truths and outright lies all three of these clowns tell.
post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The iPhone was launched in South Korea late last year, and SK is a CDMA-only market.

The iPhone for South Korea is no different internally than any other iPhone save for China. All 3 carriers apparently have CDMA(2G) networks but 2 of the 3 have 3GSM networks, too. There is no GSM(2G) network that I can see. S. Korea got smart and switched from CDMA to 3GSM.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #64 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It should be remembered that Verizon was the first to be offered the iPhone. And we all know, they turned it down, primarily because they wouldn't agree to Jobs' demand to lower priced data plans. Now they have another opportunity and it looks like they are letting that slip through their finger tips as well.

I wonder about this. The notion that Verizon had first dibs on iPhone but turned it down has been written about a great deal in articles, blogs, and internet forums, so much so that it is accepted as fact.

Did it really happen that way? I'm not sure that I've ever seen any evidence that it did, just speculation stated so frequently that it's assumed to be true. It's never been denied by either Apple or Verizon, either, but I don't know how much you can draw from that.

It could very well be that Apple did in fact present iPhone first to Verizon, but primarily as a bargaining tool with AT&T. Does anybody here really believe that Apple and Verizon could have reached an agreement in 2006-07 for iPhone on VZW? Not me. At that time, Verizon demanded complete control over their network. Apple, as we all know, still demands a great deal of control over iPhone. I'm not convinced that even today they can work together, let alone back then.

I think this issue is more a factor than even the technical issue of CDMA vs GSM. There is no doubt that Apple could design and build a CDMA iPhone if they wanted to. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have CDMA prototypes in their labs as we speak. I'm just not convinced that they can come to agreeable terms with Verizon.
post #65 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

It could very well be that Apple did in fact present iPhone first to Verizon, but primarily as a bargaining tool with AT&T.

That seems the most likely scenario to me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #66 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I think Verizon must have ticked off Jobs. We might not see the iPhone on Verizon for years.

Yes, I would take very seriously Cook's statement that AT&T is a "great partner". I think as long as AT&T shows Apple its willingness to improve service to its customers (which after all, reflects well on Apple) they will stick with AT&T.

Verizon is kind of a scummy partner from Apple's POV (or maybe ANY vendor's). They see themselves very much as being The Dog, with any vendor - even Apple - as The Tail. I suppose it's needless to say that Apple sees things, uh, differently, and they need a partner willing to more or less accept their rightful place in The Apple Universe.

The key point here is the observation that the iPhone business is the "most lucrative" end of things. Therefore, Apple won't continue to get that great wireless plan from AT&T if it yanks the iPhone away from them. And without that plan, Apple won't sell as many of its higher-priced iPads, which the company strongly intends to make a de facto new platform standard. They want to flood the market with as many of those things as they can, as quickly as they can, muscling competition aside before they can get entrenched.
post #67 of 86
I switched carriers from time to time, but I never looked at Verizon/Sprint network. Anyway, the AT&T coverage is not bad in the Seattle area. Typically, I use 2 to 3 gigs of data per month. Sorry if I clog up the network. It was pretty bad when I was in Vegas last year tho.

Yes, I will get an iPad when it's available. With all the Verizon's ad campaign, it makes me dislike them.
post #68 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The problem with that is somebody is going to repeat something that is not right because of what we said.

And we wonder why we can't trust the internet?

If I am wrong, I'll remove my post, support yours and even admit my error if you want. I don't really care how you do it. But if you are wrong, why help perpetrate further misunderstandings.

If people believe all that they read on the internet (or anywhere else, for that matter) it's their problem, no? Perhaps they even deserve the consequences.

What am I, what are you, 'internet quality police?' Where do you/I start? Where do you/I stop? Do you go back and correct every one of your prior misstatements on every possible issue that you may have contributed to when you discover you may have been wrong? What about the ones where you don't even know that you may have been responsible for spreading b-s?

Pardon me for saying so, but your p.o.v on this sounds to me both naive and condescending.

PS: There, solipsism, above provided the correct information. Problem solved. Hope you get a good night's sleep now! :-)
post #69 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The iPhone was launched in South Korea late last year, and SK is a CDMA-only market.

The iPhone 3G and 3GS have UMTS/HSDPA (3G) as well as GSM/Edge capabilities and this is available in SK as well as CDMA It is very confusing with all of these acronyms but from what I gather UMTS/HSDPA can carry voice as well as data and is the next logical step up from GSM as most devices have backwards compatibility. ie iPhone will drop back to GSM when 3G is not available, when this happens your iphone displays the "edge" badge in the TRH corner rather than "3G".

I am not sure if Korea will keep its CDMA network running or if it will be replaced by UMTS/HSDPA in the long run.. I know CDMA was turned off in Australia a few years ago and replaced by UMTS/HSDPA, GSM will also be on the way out there too in the next few years.

I think Verizon will be without iP-anything until they get a decent UMTS/HSDPA nertwork up and running.

Anyway, thats the general gist.. please correct me if you think I'm wrong
post #70 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaL View Post


It is not that I am refusing to switch to AT&T - I just can't switch until I can get coverage.

Have you considered moving?
post #71 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I wonder about this. The notion that Verizon had first dibs on iPhone but turned it down has been written about a great deal in articles, blogs, and internet forums, so much so that it is accepted as fact.

I believe this USA Today article is the original source link: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-iphone_x.htm

Verizon is clearly quoted as saying no over sharing carrier revenue and Apple control of distribution. The only question is were the talks conducted sequentially - first Verizon, then Cingular/AT&T - or in parallel.

Note: I think the reporter, Leslie Cauley, was also first to report the 5-year exclusivity, while everyone else had quoted "multi-year"; I didn't look for the link. The 5-year contract was supposedly ripped up or amended later that year when Apple wanted to switch to the upfront subsidy model for the 3G in 2008, thus resulting in the 3-year exclusive.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #72 of 86
either way the rest of the world, at least where I have gone has always used sim cards =, and that may not be all places but i think Verizon wireless network is a aging beast in terms of being mobile. I mean i can travel from cali to england and get a data plan there and still be mobile. but not with Verizon I'm sure I would have to pay some sort of international fee or something which would probably cost more than just getting a cheap data plan on the road from which ever country I visit, which means more to me. but thats MHO
post #73 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniMoe View Post

It's this simple... Apple will never support CDMA.

what they said people keep crying CDMA .....why? its not WORLD....if you want to be big you have to be World....not just U.S. We have been the odd ball in this area for so long its finally good to see we are catching on now.....
post #74 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

I think ATT realizes that we are witnessing a history making shift with mobile devices, and it's better to be on board now rather than later. The temporary setback of networks being bogged down is worth it when you'll be able to offer all of your new subscribers WiMax/4G in a couple years and greatly improve their experiences, and your image.

I think the data plan concessions, if that's what you want to call them, were a no brainer for AT&T. I already have an unlimited iPhone plan and am still considering an iPad because I commute 3 hours per day on the commuter rail. Quite cleverly I cannot simply swap the SIM so why not offer great deals on the iPad plans? I average about 135 MB per month so I can easily get by with the cheaper $15 plan.

The bottom line is that except for emails which will go to both devices, I will essentially be giving AT&T 50% more revenue per month for almost the same bandwidth. I suspect that AT&T saw that there were quite a few current iPhone users in the very same boat.

For AT&T it was a no brainer, it's almost gravy.
post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxswainLovalot View Post

The iPhone 3G and 3GS have UMTS/HSDPA (3G) as well as GSM/Edge capabilities and this is available in SK as well as CDMA It is very confusing with all of these acronyms but from what I gather UMTS/HSDPA can carry voice as well as data and is the next logical step up from GSM as most devices have backwards compatibility. ie iPhone will drop back to GSM when 3G is not available, when this happens your iphone displays the "edge" badge in the TRH corner rather than "3G".

I am not sure if Korea will keep its CDMA network running or if it will be replaced by UMTS/HSDPA in the long run.. I know CDMA was turned off in Australia a few years ago and replaced by UMTS/HSDPA, GSM will also be on the way out there too in the next few years.

I think Verizon will be without iP-anything until they get a decent UMTS/HSDPA nertwork up and running.

Anyway, thats the general gist.. please correct me if you think I'm wrong

Me, correct you?

No, thanks for a very informative post.
post #76 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I wonder about this. The notion that Verizon had first dibs on iPhone but turned it down has been written about a great deal in articles, blogs, and internet forums, so much so that it is accepted as fact.

Did it really happen that way? I'm not sure that I've ever seen any evidence that it did, just speculation stated so frequently that it's assumed to be true. It's never been denied by either Apple or Verizon, either, but I don't know how much you can draw from that.

It could very well be that Apple did in fact present iPhone first to Verizon, but primarily as a bargaining tool with AT&T. Does anybody here really believe that Apple and Verizon could have reached an agreement in 2006-07 for iPhone on VZW? Not me. At that time, Verizon demanded complete control over their network. Apple, as we all know, still demands a great deal of control over iPhone. I'm not convinced that even today they can work together, let alone back then.

I think this issue is more a factor than even the technical issue of CDMA vs GSM. There is no doubt that Apple could design and build a CDMA iPhone if they wanted to. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have CDMA prototypes in their labs as we speak. I'm just not convinced that they can come to agreeable terms with Verizon.

Jesus. I don't know how this idea of Apple approaching Verizon first about the iPhone has persisted despite obvious evidence to the contrary.

The most telling: Ivan Seidenberg, Verizon's CEO, said this in early 2009 - "Apple never seriously considered making a CDMA version of the iPhone because it didn't have as wide a distribution opportunity."

Seems like a pretty direct response contradicting the idea that Apple approached Verizon first and Verizon turned it down... from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

http://www.9to5mac.com/Verizon-CEO-iPhone
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Verizon is the "nation's largest wireless provider" just like there's a fungus in Oregon that's perhaps the world's largest living organism.

verizon is a fungus ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone for South Korea is no different internally than any other iPhone save for China. All 3 carriers apparently have CDMA(2G) networks but 2 of the 3 have 3GSM networks, too. There is no GSM(2G) network that I can see. S. Korea got smart and switched from CDMA to 3GSM.

no
until verizon brings apple to court apple will never partner with verizon

sprint and t mobile are next

or google or apple it self as a carrier

VERIZON GOES OUT OF ITS WAY FOR 10 YRS AT LEAST TO UNDERMINE AND NOT SUPPORT ANY APPLE ANYTHING I am living proof of this poor acting.

there teck dept call centers has one mac person in one call center out of the whole network
ONE MAC PERSON who told me that i can;t get free wifi like the winrel idiots because VERIZON DOES NOT SUPPORT MAC !!!

ATT has been a good friend to apple
apple may sell less
but apple sleeps at night soundly

fuck verizon
allday long MF

ATT did a great thing with low cost plans
and they made two camps now
a phone camp
and a data camp
smart beans
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #79 of 86
Revised Edit
post #80 of 86
So Apple, a company known for making the BEST hardware and software on this planet and charges the right price for and degrades those for making cheap junky creaky plastic machines with less than ideal crashy systems calling them CHEAP....

Chooses the CHEAP, buggy, crashy, creaky static sounding wireless carrier as the backbone for their MAGICAL device.

Is it me or do I see something wrong with this.

No, you know what. I want to Buy a Mercedes E class car with all it's goodness but I really want a ratty Chinese built 4 cylinder under the hood. Yea, that's the ticket. I'll get it because it's cheap and I'll tell people it's a Mercedes because it is, just won't let them ride with me because well that might get embarrassing.

All joking aside the unit is Magical, sure and so will the 3G service when it works.

Now back to Apple. Wanna do something about the aging Centrino system on the laptops? Cause the new Lenovo's are looking much better than the AL sitting in your garage. Your still a computer company, let's keep our eyes on the target while bringing the group closer towards it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › AT&T outbid Verizon with cheaper Apple iPad data plans - rumor