or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Owners of flickering 27-inch iMacs claim 15% refund from Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Owners of flickering 27-inch iMacs claim 15% refund from Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Trolls don't elaborate. They'd rather think they "got ya" with a snarky zing. We don't have 27" imacs in our studio, so I was referring to Apple's official statement. They say it's ATI's drivers. Here's the link...


http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3181


Everyone seems to believe there is some devious coverup going on. I've found Apple to be very supportive and when there are problems, they have always given me more without question than any other company. Sometimes I wonder how they can do it. This rebate reflects that philosophy. it's not "payola".



if this was software/firmware exclusive problem, it WOULD have been fixed long before now.
post #42 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

You laugh. I love my linux system. It replaced my Mac system. Not looking back either!

I laugh... You say that while reading and posting on a Mac-centric website. If you're not looking back, you're definitely checking your peripherals.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #43 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Ignore.

Yep. Done.
Thanks.
post #44 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I laugh... You say that while reading and posting on a Mac-centric website. If you're not looking back, you're definitely checking your peripherals.


Although this might be a Mac centric website, us Mac users live in a world dominated by another operating system and therefore use Mac's by choice.

Also since the Mac is able to run other operating systems in addition to its primary default one, gives us Mac users a unique perspective that not a whole lot of others share.

We Mac users can determine which operating system is best for what purpose and many of us do.


Since Linux and OS X are both MINORITY market share operating systems, we shouldn't knock each other since we both have similar goals, more choice in the market place.

For example I run XP, Vista, Chrome OS, Ubuntu all under OS X, all at the same time if I wish.

Linux will get ahead if it meets people's needs, right now it's a dam good netbook OS and server OS compared to anything Apple or Microsoft offers.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #45 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

And Apple still will not acknowledge that this is a widespread problem.

Yes. Because it isn't. It affects a tiny minority of devices. Apple are issuing software fixes, replacements and compensation to those who are affected.

What else are they supposed to do?
post #46 of 85
Damn, all the trolls are out on this one!!! ignore, ignore, ignore

I ordered my iMac a week ago and it is still at the 3 week delivery time (2 more weeks to go). Getting anxious! Oh, today I got the Apple Remote though... It's slick! I like it better than the old remote.


Hmmm... all the problems seem to involve the display. Since the iMac is apparently the first to use this display, there were bound to be issues. The yellowing definitely sounds like an issue with the manufacturing process of the displays and the flickering sounds more like a graphics card issue. The whole cracked corner of the display sounds like thy were mishandled during packing and/or shipping.


Apple has offered refunds before though when service goes beyond what should normally be expected. It's merely a customer service gesture.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #47 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

true..

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...too/1253136981


SL is a disaster.
post #48 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Although this might be a Mac centric website, us Mac users live in a world dominated by another operating system and therefore use Mac's by choice.

Also since the Mac is able to run other operating systems in addition to its primary default one, gives us Mac users a unique perspective that not a whole lot of others share.

We Mac users can determine which operating system is best for what purpose and many of us do.


Since Linux and OS X are both MINORITY market share operating systems, we shouldn't knock each other since we both have similar goals, more choice in the market place.

For example I run XP, Vista, Chrome OS, Ubuntu all under OS X, all at the same time if I wish.

Linux will get ahead if it meets people's needs, right now it's a dam good netbook OS and server OS compared to anything Apple or Microsoft offers.

Asphinctersayswhat?

I was laughing at the fact that he is contradicting himself... Stating that he switched from a Mac to Linux and loves it so much that he's not looking back to the Mac, yet he is on AppleInsider checking out what's going on the Mac world and commenting on it. LOL Ha Ha. Funny. Get it? No? Oh well.

I have no interest in Linux, so you won't find me on LinuxInsider posting a comment about what an awful hack of an OS Linux is and BSD was always a much better operating system and still is.

Devil stabs penguin with pitch fork and roasts it on an open fire... Mmm tastes like chicken!
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #49 of 85
I would not be too unhappy if I could get a $300 credit after returning a defective iMac. I'd turn around and buy another!

I want my 27" iMac!
post #50 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yes. Because it isn't. It affects a tiny minority of devices. Apple are issuing software fixes, replacements and compensation to those who are affected.

What else are they supposed to do?



Uh, how about not denying it outright?


http://gizmodo.com/5459384/the-fault...nal-memo-apple
post #51 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

You laugh. I love my linux system. It replaced my Mac system. Not looking back either!

Linux is fine as a base for virtualisation or firewall devices but as a day to day desktop OS its a bag of crap.

Its fine for a hobby or one who likes to tinker with it but its no where near as productive as either Mac OS or Windows.
post #52 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Ubuntu makes a nice netbook OS too, if that's all you need, more secure and faster than Windows and OpenOffice is free, Firefox is a better browser than any other too.

Apple's answer to the netbook is a iPad that costs twice as much and doesn't have a real keyboard and a real OS for that matter.


Netbooks top Amazon seller of laptops:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/netbooks-t...-notebook-list

Of course in surveys the first upgrade most people do to their linux netbook is stick windows on it.

Open office is free because it is terrible. Of course you have many who stand by open office but this is because they are poor pikies who cant afford a proper productivity suite.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for.
post #53 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

You laugh. I love my linux system. It replaced my Mac system. Not looking back either!

Then why are you here? Go dig your 'fine' Linux PC stuff!
post #54 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

Every manufacturer, regardless of what they make, experiences production problems from time to time. ...

But the number of news stories that have come out over the last couple years about Apple's iMac and laptop screen issues are indeed worrisome.

I'm a lifetime Apple user...

I hadn't actually stopped to analyze it, but when I replaced my old Power Mac G4, I chose a Mac Mini rather than an iMac...However in retrospect, the idea of the "all-in-one" iMac disturbed me...I honestly would've much rather had the faster machine, but I like the ability of choosing my own monitor rather than relying on a built-in LCD that I can't get rid of.

True that all computer mfgs have issues from time to time.
The good news for Mac users is that usually, over the long haul, Apple continues to rate fairly high on reliability and user satisfaction surveys.

At least till several recent iMac models and their screen issues, some of which I've personally experienced -- specifically vertical lines and bars obscuring the screen on iMacs C2D.

While I've used Macs and PCs since the old Mac Plus and DOS 3/Win 3.1 days (shades of 286), my home computer has always been a Mac --incl several iMac flavors-- till last year when my iMac G5 gave out.
I used my Windows XP tower till I finally replaced the Mac with a Mac Mini 2.26 GHz when it came out end of 2009.

I did not want a glossy screen iMac (worked on several - did like the speed, didn't like the glare) and while the speed of the machine and its full size HD was good, I just could not justify to myself spending the money on the all in one. So now I've been using the Mac Mini with a Dell monitor (shocking, I know... ) 22" 1680 DVI. While it is not an IPS screen, it is quite good for a TN with good text clarity and anti-glare surface (an important aspect for me).

I hope Apple resolves their iMac screen issues, does better QA testing, not rushing products out the door, and I really, really hope they give us an optional anti-glare screen for future models -- like they do with the MacBookPro 15 and 17 where you can order anti-glare rather than glossy*.

*P.S. I've put Photodon anti-glare films on several glossy screens, and while it does work to greatly reduce glare, there seems a slight 'twinkly' effect (in my opinion) that is less than ideal, though better than the glare... ahh, no perfect solution yet.
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
post #55 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

...Either way, it appears you do little or no testing of product coming off the line or you would have found and fixed this issue before the units ever left the factory...

(On a side note Apple, anti-aliasing in Linux looks tons better than in MacOS X.)

These two points have merit (in my opinion).

The magnitude of the problematic screen issue with current iMac 27, and remembering back to the widespread and acknowledged issue with vertical lines on some iMac C2D models, does seem that Apple has fallen down on its Quality Control process or lowered its testing or component vendor requirements or something.

Re. the anti-aliasing...
While I cannot comment on Linux, having only used it a bit on one machine, I have found several instances where, to my eyes, the Windows text anti-aliasing has been better than some of the Mac text anti-aliasing.

Maybe I'm just picky about that because of three converging trends:
1) screens getting larger,
2) dpi getting higher, thus default (optimal) font resolution produces much smaller, tinier text type letters,
3) my eyes seem to prefer slightly larger, definitely more crispy text for reading.

-- (honestly, I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I seem to be getting older somehow...
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
The Universe is Intelligent and Friendly
Reply
post #56 of 85
This discussion only shows two camps. One side which is waiting for Apple to fall and started bombarding them with comments on how terrible they really are and the other camp holding vigilance regardless of how their holy Apple may or may not have screwed up.

There are many reasons to like or dislike the mighty Apple. However, what really irks me is that this stupid display problem whether is it a firmware issue or design fault or both, has emerged since their change to the Alu Imacs. Each new launch, there was some small problems with their display. I agree that perhaps there was some quality control issues that may have allowed defective imacs to slip through to the customers. However, when there are numerous imac owners complaining of the same fault, this is not a random event but an issue that can be traced and replicated for fault finding purposes.

Given that the Apple culture that SJ have instilled and promised the consumers that their product is the best and that the premium we pay for the product is well worth it. I think I am entitled to raise the expectation bar for their products higher.

Apple way of resolving the problem is to release patches that may or may not work. This is just opening up another can of worms and consumers would want to know what happened. Why not just come clean and update the community what concrete efforts are being taken to resolve this issue once and for all.

I am unhappy not because the mighty Apple Imac has some production issues. I am unhappy because I know nothing, waiting for some solution from "above" to rectify an issue that I know nothing about
post #57 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Of course in surveys the first upgrade most people do to their linux netbook is stick windows on it.

Where is this survey and why would people do that when Windows comes free with a machine?

It's a choice of either, Ubuntu or Windows.


Quote:
Open office is free because it is terrible. Of course you have many who stand by open office but this is because they are poor pikies who cant afford a proper productivity suite.

It's actually the same quality as OfficeMac, and you would know this if you tried it.



Quote:
As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

If you don't need much, why pay much?


Do you buy whole albums for a few good songs that only would cost a buck or two instead if you bought them individually?

I didn't think so.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #58 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What product release? The iPad (from the orignal post) has not been released.

What are you talking about?
We now know what it does and the world yawned.
post #59 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

You have some major reading comprehension issues. Further you really shouldn't comment on products you don't own. I'm sure customers are given new machines if they insist. My understanding of the problem is that it is software related. So I don't think handing it over to Apple will fix anything. Sure you can get a 100% refund. Nobody is quicker to do that than Apple. Have you ever tried returning a computer to Best buy, or directly to HP or Dell. Good luck with a Linux "warranty".

This sounds like a courtesy to me. "Sorry for the trouble". The 15% refund has nothing to do with returning the machine. In fact if you already got a 100% refund, I doubt you'll get the 15% on top of that. Like I said the problem is related to ATI's firmware. AKA not hardware or QC related.

Go buy a Dell or an HP and experience how well their products and QC stack up if you're so confident that Apple makes crap. Can you tell me what other products you are referring to?

I wonder if you'll get 15% back from HP? Doubt it. Besides why criticize Apple for making their machines in china? Name one company that doesn't. You're a troll.

I usually refrain from re-response, but in your case...

I stand by my statements. First, my reading comprehension is just fine. It is sensible that a 15% 'refund' in this context would indicate 15% atop the purchase price, but the actual wording of the 'article' does not properly articulate that, and if you didn't notice, you are lacking some language skills. Next you prattle a host of tangental comments to mine, but fine, let's address those...

Ownership is not requisite to observe or comment about an issue. If you must know, experience is amenable; being the owner of a Mac LC, Mac II si, Quadra 610, Performa 6110, PowerMac G5, a PowerBook, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook, two Mac minis and two iPhones, I've acquired abundant insight, furthermore investigating the purchase of a 27" iMac and thereby highly motivated toward investigative due diligence, I retain faculty.

Customers are given new machines if they insist? Naïveté. How long, how oft have you dealt with Apple? Software/ATI? How do you know? Nevertheless irrelevant, as proper QA would discover. Linux and warranty aren't associative terms. Hardware is warranted by manufacturer aside of software, and for the vendor HP, dons a superior 3 year term.

Did I say "Apple makes crap?" I did not. I clearly indicated Apple's QC is slipping, insightfully buttressed by decades of proficient knowledge. Outsourcing to China is not a singularization, rather it's a disease, the point thereof showing Apple's to no longer be the superior products of yore. Ogre.

post #60 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

What are you talking about?

Don't you bother to read or follow your own posts?
You wrote, "I believe it's trended down ever since the release of the Pad."
Why would you write that?
The iPad has not been released.
post #61 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

nothing major...

just all the facts.

two posts and still haven't said anything ... how long do we have to wait? .... or maybe you're just incapable of expressing your "facts". \
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #62 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I usually refrain from re-response, but in your case...

BLAH BLAH BLAH; etc etc etc....
I stand by my statements. ...

Wow, you done all grow'd up. Cogent and I appreciate it, but I still think it was the wrong way to start off the discussion. You're opinion is slanted and since you graced me with a rebuttal I would like to do the same.

First of all you were consused by the "rebate". You said so yourself. I thought it was pretty self explanatory. Your "enthusiasm" if you will, convinced me that you are easily aggravated and yes I agree confused.

Then you arrogantly claimed to know that Apple's QC is subpar based on anecdotal evidence and your perceptions. That simply doesn't hold up. "little to no testing" was the wording you chose and that is simply right out. Do you visit Apple plants or consult for them? Any consumer report will support the case that Apple not only makes great products or that their customers are happy, but that they are great when it comes to fixing their "mistakes". That's not my perception; that's a thousand perceptions. My personal anecdote does happen to support that report as well as I've returned several products within the warranty period for immediate swap out. Maybe you should be nicer to the staff.

Moving along...

"Maybe this is what you get for building stuff in china?... Get your act together" you barked.

I know it's not ideal to see products made overseas, but if you could think it through you'd probably come to the same conclusion as Apple corporate.

American companies outsource almost all of their manufacturing to china and throughout Asia for obvious reasons. How is Apple's choice to do the same a reflection of poor judgement? You would want them to be unable to be competitive?

I understand that for Americans there might be a perception that we make better products, but it's simply not true. Obviously you've never been on the floor of a large manufacturing plant, trust me it's not usually a bastion of higher intelligence. Hell, even where Americans are great at something (Hollywood for example) they've had to deal with outsourcing to Asia, Canada, Latin America, Mexico and occasionally Europe.

Simply because products are made with Asian hands (or otherwise) doesn't mean it's less of a product. Now had you said, "I guess that's what you get for cutting corners" then I might feel a little different, though that would not be accurate or fair to Apple either. The spirit of your comments were borderline racist at times in my opinion.

Simply put, there has not been a "huge" (your words) drop in the quality of Apple's products because they make products overseas. That is a patent exaggeration based on your microcosmos of experience, colored by your own attitude. Further, quality can only be measured in comparison to other manufacturers.

Many people already "despise" the "Apple Tax". How much do you figure the Ipad would cost if it were made in the states? By the time you pay for the increase in wages, OSHA qualified facilities, health insurance, child care, overtime etc, probably $3,000 and I don't think it Americans would be buying it. Until the whole system changes (breaks down) we can't expect anyone or any company not to follow suit. We should be glad they are saving enough money that they can afford to open retail stores. I have a few friends that work the retail stores and I'm sure they are happier there than on the plant floor. Manufacturing is just too costly in the states, mostly due to safety and union regulations not to mention the often massive overhead.

It does raise an interesting question however, is it egalitarian to make affordable, powerful and arguably "enlightening" technology like computers and put it in the hands of "every global inhabitant", even if it's at the "expense" of "slave laborers"? (American perception, from what I understand most who make products for the world, like their jobs at least as much as we would in kind. Some even more so.) Or would it be a "crime" to bring manufacturing back to the states, even if it meant making "better" products (debatable) that are so expensive that they become the exclusive property of the wealthy? Would that not essentially encourage two classes?

I don't think irrational logic is the answer to this line of questioning. Apple corporate has done what it had to do to stay in line with modern trends. We can't measure "right" from our own vantage point alone. While it may not be fair for me to assume so, I'm not sure you thought it out before you made your comments and I believe that it's reflected in the quality of your argument. I'm glad that you feel as though you're many years of owning a few macs is "insightful" but your argument is weak and your "buttresses" are failing.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #63 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Where is this survey and why would people do that when Windows comes free with a machine?

It's a choice of either, Ubuntu or Windows.

There is a price difference between the netbooks shipping with windows rather than linux. People buy the cheaper model and have no idea what linux is, they just see that the specs on the netbook look the same but one is £100 cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It's actually the same quality as OfficeMac, and you would know this if you tried it.

Bullshit. Openoffice is SOOO slow. It is terrible on the Mac and only marginally better than terrible on the PC. We have many clients who took the free route only to dump openoffice to go for Office 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If you don't need much, why pay much?

fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Do you buy whole albums for a few good songs that only would cost a buck or two instead if you bought them individually?

I buy cd's, so yeah I buy full albums.
post #64 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Don't you bother to read or follow your own posts?
You wrote, "I believe it's trended down ever since the release of the Pad."
Why would you write that?
The iPad has not been released.

Perhaps he should have said announced, rather than release.

However, he was perfectly correct in that the information about what the iPad is and does has been released and the markets are now able to use that information. It is the release of the information, rather than the physical product, which is important in this issue.
post #65 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

It's not an answer to netbooks. Different target-audience.

iSteve officially compared it to netbooks. He said that for the 'Pad to succeed, it had to do things better than a notebook and better than a phone. He said that netbooks don't do anything better.

iSteve is the one who made the comparison. Deal with it.
post #66 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

iSteve officially compared it to netbooks. He said that for the 'Pad to succeed, it had to do things better than a notebook and better than a phone. He said that netbooks don't do anything better.

iSteve is the one who made the comparison. Deal with it.


Comparing is not the same as putting out a product within the same category.

You are saying he also compared it to a phone. So the iPad would be Steve's answer to phones?

And what's with the attitude? Deal with it??? Sheesh.
post #67 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Wow, you done all grow'd up. Cogent and I appreciate it, but I still think it was the wrong way to start off the discussion. You're opinion is slanted and since you graced me with a rebuttal I would like to do the same.

Blah, Blah, Blah...

It appears you're still not getting the points, and reading in ideas that are not there. It was a great way to start off a discussion, the post has validity, you know it, and I don't have any more time to waste on this.
post #68 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Apple sell an image. A fundamental part of which is 'it just works'

Admitting this destroys that in one foul swoop.


style over substance...?

you bet..

One foul swoop? Conjures up visions of a single swish of a toilet brush in a dirty commode!

Perhaps one fowl swoop - a raptor diving over the surface of the water and snatching a fish from the surface?

Most likely "one fell swoop" - http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/20...ell-swoop.html

Ah - the joys of mangled phrases - they make my day! http://streams.wgbh.org/online/carroll/carr20080418.mp3

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #69 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

SL is a disaster.

Everytime I launch Safari I never get my home page to stay up anymore. It shows for a sp[lit second then disappears- I get a blank page. And the whole printer BS - don't get me started.
post #70 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Don't you bother to read or follow your own posts?
You wrote, "I believe it's trended down ever since the release of the Pad."
Why would you write that?
The iPad has not been released.

OK - Unveiled for you. You know exactly what I meant. Are you a stickler for details as well? Or just dense?
post #71 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Perhaps he should have said announced, rather than release.

However, he was perfectly correct in that the information about what the iPad is and does has been released and the markets are now able to use that information. It is the release of the information, rather than the physical product, which is important in this issue.

Thank you. It's wasn't that hard for him/her to comprehend- was it?
post #72 of 85
I wish that Apple would offer me a $300 refund, but the truth is, thank God, that I never had any hardware problem with my 27 inch iMac.

The only problems that I have are software related:

1- The StartUp Boot Switcher doesn't recognize my Windows XP partition unless I put the Windows DVD in the SuperDrive;

2- I can't get a High ID signal for the aMule Kademlia network when connecting through Airport Extreme;

3- MacFuse is 32 bit only which prevents me from using the 64 bit capabilities of Snow Leopard with Windows applications;

4- I cannot cut and paste in Finder menus as I did with Windows XP. Snow Leopard is unbelievably limited in that respect;

5- When watching JPG slides, the Back and Forward buttons are not working which is quite annoying.


Hopefully, Apple will resolve these issues in the near future.


post #73 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

The stock always drops after a product release because the product never lives up to the expectations of the rumour mill.

the market sold on the news
and the market itself is roiling over weak EUROPE data
one group of short term AAPL traders sold off.
OPENING a window for a new set to invest .
also since the ipad comes out in march some feel that >> why hold aapl when its best ipad numbers are already built in at 220 per share so very little upside for 60 days or more
so sell now take profit
re buy in late feb.

aapl is a great long term buy right now
so is is GM

peace 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #74 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Everytime I launch Safari I never get my home page to stay up anymore. It shows for a sp[lit second then disappears- I get a blank page. And the whole printer BS - don't get me started.

fix
your
permissions

or buy that red dell LAP TOP you secretly pine over
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #75 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

One foul swoop? Conjures up visions of a single swish of a toilet brush in a dirty commode!

Perhaps one fowl swoop - a raptor diving over the surface of the water and snatching a fish from the surface?

Most likely "one fell swoop" - http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/20...ell-swoop.html

Ah - the joys of mangled phrases - they make my day! http://streams.wgbh.org/online/carroll/carr20080418.mp3

nice
fell
foul
fowl
mal ware
babarganush
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #76 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Damn, all the trolls are out on this one!!! ignore, ignore, ignore

I ordered my iMac a week ago and it is still at the 3 week delivery time (2 more weeks to go). Getting anxious! Oh, today I got the Apple Remote though... It's slick! I like it better than the old remote.


Hmmm... all the problems seem to involve the display. Since the iMac is apparently the first to use this display, there were bound to be issues. The yellowing definitely sounds like an issue with the manufacturing process of the displays and the flickering sounds more like a graphics card issue. The whole cracked corner of the display sounds like thy were mishandled during packing and/or shipping.


Apple has offered refunds before though when service goes beyond what should normally be expected. It's merely a customer service gesture.

you will love your seamless imac
the flickering screen occurs on all macs
at times
no big deal
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #77 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

fix
your
permissions

or buy that red dell LAP TOP you secretly pine over

Actually it's a Sony notebook. Small and powerful with a full OS.
post #78 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

fix
your
permissions

or buy that red dell LAP TOP you secretly pine over

Thanks brucep - permissions fixed and mission accomplished. Now I can enjoy my Mac again thanks to you.
post #79 of 85
After three days of using my new i7 iMac, I'm relieved to say that it is flawless. (so far) No screen flickering, no yellow tinge, no dust under the panel, no stuck pixels, no dead pixels...

Damn this thing is nice!

(Manufactured in shanghai dec 2009)
post #80 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have many Linux machines and have used nearly every flavor of Unix since the early 90s and not one could come close to replacing a Mac for serious publishing/design/video/audio etc, etc, etc. So if you replaced your Mac with Linux you must not have ever needed a Mac in the first place.

Seriously.

Quote:
Linux is a fine OS for servers but it makes a pretty lousy desktop environment in my opinion.

OSX is the first and only unix not to suck for the desktop. The year of the linux desktop has been declared pretty much every year for the last decade and thus far every major attempt for widespread linux desktop deployment has been an epic fail. Like Munich.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Owners of flickering 27-inch iMacs claim 15% refund from Apple