or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta with OpenGL improvements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta with OpenGL improvements

post #1 of 100
Thread Starter 
Apple on Friday evening equipped developers with yet another build of its upcoming maintenance and security update for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard that includes few changes from an earlier build distributed two weeks ago.

People familiar with the matter say Mac OS X 10.6.3 build 10D548 was distributed alongside an enhancement and focus list nearly identical to build 10D538, which made its way to a small subset of developers last month, as AppleInsider exclusively reported.

The only distinguishable change noted in documentation, those people say, was a request by the Mac maker for its developers to add iCal and printing functions to their evaluation efforts, alongside AirPort, QuickTime and graphics drivers. A prior emphasis on VoiceOver was reportedly not extended to build 10D548.

Both builds include an update to QuickTime X that, when finalized, will improve security and compatibility while simultaneously enhancing overall reliability. The betas will also include tweaks that aim to enhance the performance of Apple's 64-bit Logic pro audio suite. Other bundled improvements include better compatibility with third-party printers and OpenGL-grounded applications.

Apple reportedly listed no known issues with build 10D548, which now weighs in at 773MB as a Delta distribution.
post #2 of 100
Hopefully it's very close now. I'm tired of sudden reboots, bring it out already!
post #3 of 100
Beta Bait!



Little big bird told me new MacBook Pro's coming soon.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #4 of 100
Quicktime X fixed finally- my fingers are crossed.
post #5 of 100
Only the third update and we're already up to 773MB. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Snow Leopard will be the first OS X to cross the 1GB size in delta updates by the time we get up to 10.6.8 or whatever the last update will be. Even the still popular Windows XP can completely fit in a CD with room to spare.
post #6 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Only the third update and we're already up to 773MB. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Snow Leopard will be the first OS X to cross the 1GB size in delta updates by the time we get up to 10.6.8 or whatever the last update will be. Even the still popular Windows XP can completely fit in a CD with room to spare.

Do you realize that updates don't necessarily add to the OS size because it REPLACES files, rather than add to them?
post #7 of 100
Cant be any worse than it currently is. Worst decision ever was to instal Snow Leotard. Ruined 3 perfectly decent computers, slowed them down to unusable speeds (SL faster?! my ass). Oh and the UI changes piss me off daily.
Not to mention my new macbook pro with that stupid no-button trackpad. The bad positioning of the off button (where I hold it). The god awful shiny screen. Bla

Spent the entirety of last week fixing my main computer because the OS corrupted.

I'm really not happy with Apple at the mo.
post #8 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Cant be any worse than it currently is. Worst decision ever was to instal Snow Leotard. Ruined 3 perfectly decent computers, slowed them down to unusable speeds (SL faster?! my ass). Oh and the UI changes piss me off daily.
Not to mention my new macbook pro with that stupid no-button trackpad. The bad positioning of the off button (where I hold it). The god awful shiny screen. Bla

Spent the entirety of last week fixing my main computer because the OS corrupted.

I'm really not happy with Apple at the mo.

Next time look before you buy.

BTW, Snow Leopard has been very good for me.
post #9 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Next time look before you buy.

BTW, Snow Leopard has been very good for me.

I presume your referring to the gloss screen. I didn't have much choice. I needed a cheap temporary computer because my old laptop was stolen. And so I bought the first thing that turned up at the refurb store.
I'm waiting for the next revision.
Personally I don't think Apple should make shiny screens full stop.
post #10 of 100
My only gripes with Snow Leopard are:

A.) the killing of the Adobe Acrobat Pro printer driver
B.) mysterious, USB related (apparently) grey-screen crashes

Other than that, Snow Leopard's been a good, solid performer.
If 10.6.3 fixes the crashes, I'll be satisfied.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #11 of 100
[QUOTE=Hudson1;1567251Snow Leopard has been very good for me.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't it make you nuts when you admit you have a problem and someone chimes in with "I've never had a problem!!"

I got Snow Leopard for Christmas and was going to do a clean install, but I didn't want to take the time. So I finally put it on top of Leopard a week ago.

Safari, mail and Garageband have all crashed on me this week. And I keep my iMac pure, very few non Apple apps. I'll ignore the problem for a while and see what happens. If it keeps up, I guess I'll do a fresh install. A nuke and pave as it is sometimes called.

BTW, I've never dropped a call with AT&T, I've never had flicker on my I7 iMac, I've never seen my reflection in my glossy screen, and I've never had a woman turn me down.
post #12 of 100
No problems here. Dropped calls on AT&T? Yep. Rejected by women? No. That's why it's best to pay them by the hour. Paying them to leave is the way to go.
post #13 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Doesn't it make you nuts when you admit you have a problem and someone chimes in with "I've never had a problem!!"

I got Snow Leopard for Christmas and was going to do a clean install, but I didn't want to take the time. So I finally put it on top of Leopard a week ago.

Safari, mail and Garageband have all crashed on me this week. And I keep my iMac pure, very few non Apple apps. I'll ignore the problem for a while and see what happens. If it keeps up, I guess I'll do a fresh install. A nuke and pave as it is sometimes called.

BTW, I've never dropped a call with AT&T, I've never had flicker on my I7 iMac, I've never seen my reflection in my glossy screen, and I've never had a woman turn me down.

Make sure you update flash. The one that shipped with the disk is buggy.
post #14 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Do you realize that updates don't necessarily add to the OS size because it REPLACES files, rather than add to them?

You still have to download the 773MB, don't you?
post #15 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Safari, mail and Garageband have all crashed on me this week. And I keep my iMac pure, very few non Apple apps. I'll ignore the problem for a while and see what happens. If it keeps up, I guess I'll do a fresh install. A nuke and pave as it is sometimes called.

Have you tried running maintenance software like onyx ?

I have SL on two macs, and so far I have only had few issues with them. (Some app crashes, but some of them were due to plugins)
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #16 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No problems here. Dropped calls on AT&T? Yep. Rejected by women? No. That's why it's best to pay them by the hour. Paying them to leave is the way to go.

I'm shocked, with an iPhone aren't you supposed to get all the women you want for free? Thats what happens to me anyway.....

No dropped calls for me on AT&T in the Boston area, they've really been very good around here.
post #17 of 100
Does it fix one of the most irritating bugs in Snow Leopard? In previous versions, OS X wouldn't wake up a printer until you actually sent it a file for printing. In Snow Leopard, it wakes up printers any time you display the print window, even though nine times out of ten I want to save a PDF file rather than print. Very irritating.

Apple should do one of these ASAP:

1. Restore things to like they were before.

2. (Second best) Give us a preference to wake or not wake printers when the Print window is displayed.

3. (Best) Make what the PDF button in the Print window displays into a pull-down menu option under the File menu. It'd save trouble and time and bypass the printer wake problem.
post #18 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

And so I bought the first thing that turned up at the refurb store.

Well there's your problem!

Refurb or not, you bought a product without knowing for certain what you were getting. There's only one person responsible for that mistake. Computers or crab legs, know what you're getting before you put your money down on the table.
post #19 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You still have to download the 773MB, don't you?

Not when using software update I believe. If you can't connect the mac to a network I guess you will need to download the whole thing.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #20 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You still have to download the 773MB, don't you?

So what? Unless you are living under a rock somewhere, you should have a pretty speedy Internet connection, so who cares. Even if you had to download it overnight, what's the big deal?
post #21 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Do you realize that updates don't necessarily add to the OS size because it REPLACES files, rather than add to them?

I think the point still stands...there's 773 MB worth of changes since 10.6.2. It's possible that not all the change apply to your particular installation, I think.

Also, don't the developer seeds tend to be rather large with inclusion of debugging code or something developer-specific?
post #22 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Not when using software update I believe. If you can't connect the mac to a network I guess you will need to download the whole thing.

If the delta between 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 is 773MB it will need to be downloaded. The OP point was the delta between the last release and this update was 773MB, the responder didn't read the post and responded with ' it doesn't add to the size of the OS', which wasn't the point the poster was making.

In general you're right, it depends on your machine, which rev level you're at and probably some other varying factors...
post #23 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post

So what? Unless you are living under a rock somewhere, you should have a pretty speedy Internet connection, so who cares. Even if you had to download it overnight, what's the big deal?

Read the posts before responding like an idiot.
post #24 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

If the delta between 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 is 773MB it will need to be downloaded.

I think I missed that point ...
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #25 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lssmit02 View Post

Make sure you update flash. The one that shipped with the disk is buggy.

How do I do that exactly? I opened Adobe reader and it said there were no updates. Does that update all of Adobe's stuff?
post #26 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Have you tried running maintenance software like onyx ?

I have SL on two macs, and so far I have only had few issues with them. (Some app crashes, but some of them were due to plugins)

I was going to wait and see if it keeps happening. The GarageBand and Mail crashes might have a common factor.

In mail I was listening to a sound bite my brother sent me when it crashed. In Garageband I was dragging a music file from iTunes into Garageband when it choked. Hopefully it wont happen again.
post #27 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

How do I do that exactly? I opened Adobe reader and it said there were no updates. Does that update all of Adobe's stuff?

Flash not Acrobat. Probably easiest to just go to Adobe.com and download latest version of Flash.
post #28 of 100
answered already (post your problem in the genius forum)
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #29 of 100
Blu-Ray movie playback support Apple? OpenGL 3.x full compatibility?
post #30 of 100
GRAPHIC DRIVERS!!!!!

Woot... maybe SL won't be a completely useless piece of crap OS anymore...
post #31 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

Well there's your problem!

Refurb or not, you bought a product without knowing for certain what you were getting. There's only one person responsible for that mistake. Computers or crab legs, know what you're getting before you put your money down on the table.

Why on earth is that the problem.

Come on. The point is SL has ruined another two computers of mine(not from refurb).
Anyhow, it's not like there is much choice. If I were to buy another computer brand new, it's still going to have all the problems I am witnessing (bar the glossy screen which I obviously wouldn't have chosen).
Its not like Im deluged with alternative options. Can't get away from that silly no-button trackpad for example. It's totally inaccurate.
post #32 of 100
The download size looks like it will be 773 MB but don't forget the install size is more likely bigger than 1GB.

So far I have only seen a issue using USB flash drives acting funny and sometimes just disappearing off the screen without being touched.
post #33 of 100
Well,

A) Snow Leopard has nothing to do with your glossy screen, trackpad, and power button. All of which I feel were designed well.
B) Snow Leopard has been amazing for all my macs. Maybe not upon release, but ever since 10.6.2, it's been great.
post #34 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Blu-Ray movie playback support Apple? OpenGL 3.x full compatibility?

OpenGL 3.0 nearly complete. Shader language 1.3 which corresponds to OpenGL 3.0.

Once that's done the OpenGL 3.1 and 3.2 extensions will come fast.
post #35 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

3. (Best) Make what the PDF button in the Print window displays into a pull-down menu option under the File menu. It'd save trouble and time and bypass the printer wake problem.

I don't print anything from my machines but I've wanted that feature under File ยป Save As... for a long time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

I think the point still stands...there's 773 MB worth of changes since 10.6.2. It's possible that not all the change apply to your particular installation, I think.

As rob_06 points out, that file size is the download size, not the size of the uncompressed files that are installed.

What I don't understand is why you have a problem with the replacement of files instead of the much more complex altering of in place files. There are just too many to make this a stable way to implement updates. I'd like it to be smaller, but it really doesn't matter to anyone who gets unlimited data. There are few backwards places that limit your total data usage, and that sucks for them, but such is life.

Note: If you have a problem with Mac OS X point updates then you should have a huge problem with the iPhone and iPod replacing the entire OS with an updated version with something seemingly as small as a x.x.1 update.

Quote:
Also, don't the developer seeds tend to be rather large with inclusion of debugging code or something developer-specific?

The dev builds include the software changes for all applicable Macs. There is no additional code as far as I know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Its not like Im deluged with alternative options.

Don't buy a Mac if you don't like the HW that comes with a Mac.

Quote:
Can't get away from that silly no-button trackpad for example. It's totally inaccurate.

I've never experienced a better trackpad and I've been using notebooks for over a decade. I never use scroll bars in Windows anymore with the multi-touch trackpad.

BTW, your statement is incorrect. The trackpad has a physical button.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #36 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

OpenGL 3.0 nearly complete. Shader language 1.3 which corresponds to OpenGL 3.0.

Once that's done the OpenGL 3.1 and 3.2 extensions will come fast.

You think it will added to 10.6.3 before launch?

So far, OpenGL 3.1 is 12% (1/8) completed and OpenGL 3.2 is 33% (3/9) completed.
http://files.macbidouille.com/mbv2/n...01_10/ogl3.jpg (image)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarman View Post

Hopefully it's very close now. I'm tired of sudden reboots, bring it out already!

As a mac owner for ten years I have had a few kernal panics but never ever had a sudden reboot. It would be interesting to see what type of Mac you have and what you are running when the system suddenly reboots.
post #38 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

As a mac owner for ten years I have had a few kernal panics but never ever had a sudden reboot. It would be interesting to see what type of Mac you have and what you are running when the system suddenly reboots.

I have been a mac user for around 10 years and have never seen one sudden reboot for no apparent reason.

I have seen two kernal panics but they were easy fixed.

The type of mac would help try and figure out what is happening.
post #39 of 100
slow weekend, the trolls are posting in an OS updated thread

Hey trollboys how do you feel about windoze 7 mobile not having multi-tasking or flash
post #40 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarman View Post

Hopefully it's very close now. I'm tired of sudden reboots, bring it out already!

This could very well be related to logic board problems.. you might wanna bring it to the genius bar..

Adi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta with OpenGL improvements