or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Unannounced Core i7 Apple MacBook Pro benchmarks surface

Unannounced Core i7 Apple MacBook Pro benchmarks surface - Page 3

post #81 of 125
As if right on cue to make me look silly..http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=861917

They're coming tomorrow.

How fortunate. My MacBook screen started flickering worse than ever just this minute. It knows its replacement is on its way.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #82 of 125
Psh. I bet it'll just be a bigger iPod touch with an attached keyboard.
post #83 of 125
Apple Store has been down for some time now. First checked site and then MacRumors. So be prepared for an announcement, most likely with the MBP or could be listing of iPad? Changes to the MBP, no matter what they are will not be to everyone's satisfaction, and there will be those who will complain.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #84 of 125
I wonder if Apple looks at all the MBP's that are out in all the stores and at the distribution centers to see if it's a good time to release the new ones? Once stock gets down a little and it's close to the expected release dates then that's when they make the announcement...

I hope it's soon because I have a big trip out of the states and I need to bring a laptop, and I can't see myself buying the current one right when a new one is on it's way.

Hurry Up APPLE!
post #85 of 125
They removed all the 'new' stickers from the previously new products (iMac, Mini and white Macbook) during the Aperture update so it makes sense to switch the sticker to the MBPs soon.
post #86 of 125
I predict new MBPs, this coming Tuesday.
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
PC Gamer, Musician, Mac Geek. | Jerion.us
post #87 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They removed all the 'new' stickers from the previously new products (iMac, Mini and white Macbook) during the Aperture update so it makes sense to switch the sticker to the MBPs soon.

Agree, it has to be soon. Likely they are waiting until they can:

A) Package 10.6.3

B) Be ready to ship through all channels on the day they're posted.
post #88 of 125
Quote:

Yeah...the so-old-it's-starting-to-smell-funny MacBook Pro page still says "new" though. \
i thought for sure this week with new Optimus from NVIDIA. I guess...maybe next week? Someone said at macrumors since the Chinese New Year is this weekend that might not happen though.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
post #89 of 125
Does anyone know what has been the longest time between hardware (iMac's, MBP's, Mac Pro) updates? What, we are at 250 some days since the last MBP update?
post #90 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxDavis View Post

Does anyone know what has been the longest time between hardware (iMac's, MBP's, Mac Pro) updates? What, we are at 250 some days since the last MBP update?

Longest right now is the Mac Pro with 345 days.

The longest ever is the Mac Mini which I think had over 1.5 years between updates.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #91 of 125
I don't understand why they keep regular updates (just minor spec bumps, not entirely new products or huge updates) a secret these days. This is very, very annoying. If it takes until March, I would have just gotten a new MacBook Pro in January. But I'm in this waiting pattern now. A few weeks..becomes a few months...becomes annoying when my current MacBook is dying as we speak.
post #92 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Longest right now is the Mac Pro with 345 days.

The longest ever is the Mac Mini which I think had over 1.5 years between updates.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Thanks, that is good to know. I am thinking it won't be this month that Apple puts out a new MBP...

Damn!
post #93 of 125
Quote:

Thanks, that is good to know. I am thinking it won't be this month that Apple puts out a new MBP...

Damn!

I would certainly think it will be in the next two or three weeks. If not next week then the one after. As that site shows, we're far past the usual time for an update. 248 days since the last update, and the average is 200 days. Moreover, Intel released much faster chips ("Arrandale Core i5/i7) that will use less power over a month ago. HP and others have been shipping laptops with these for almost a month already. Of course Apple is probably just stockpiling up a supply before they release the update. Probably wise, since I think a lot of people are waiting for new laptops! At least if this thread with hundreds of posts is any indication...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=861917
post #94 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

HP and others have been shipping laptops with these for almost a month already. Of course Apple is probably just stockpiling up a supply before they release the update.

I think it's inevitable that new "pro" Macs show up this month. Since Apple has historically (as a general rule) milked older tech past the average when they are readying a dynamic change. In other words, something more than just a performance bump.

Even though HP and Dell outsell Macs in units Apple may very well use more of the newer processors from Intel. HP and Dell sell these machines as BTO when the chips are first available and have no stores that will have to be stocked that day to the hilt with these pre-built machines. I think if Apple is stock piling anything it's pre-built MBPs ready for an upcoming shipment to an Apple Store.
post #95 of 125
I tried to configure a 17" MBP from MacMall and it asked to call... That was a first because I keep doing it to see what my cost would be. It was cheaper about a week ago but I wonder why I have to call for pricing when it calculates it for you when you add new features.....

Apple, hurry up! There are customers out here waiting unpatiently.....haha

Thank goodness for forums or we would be wasting our money...
post #96 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

As if right on cue to make me look silly..http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=861917

They're coming tomorrow.

How fortunate. My MacBook screen started flickering worse than ever just this minute. It knows its replacement is on its way.

Just a thought re: Macbook Flickering -- Have you tried turning off "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" in the Diplays Pref Pane?
post #97 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Just a thought re: Macbook Flickering -- Have you tried turning off "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" in the Diplays Pref Pane?

Thanks tonton...unfortunately I only have a MacBook, it doesn't have that optical sensor. I think it's a wide-spread defect. It started right outside the 90-day period. Ah well I'll hopefully get a MBP in a week or two or three.
post #98 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think if Apple is stock piling anything it's pre-built MBPs ready for an upcoming shipment to an Apple Store.

This. I think that's all that is holding it up now. They're readying a large stock to delivery to all channels at once.

I hoping this is a substantial enough upgrade in performance to convince me to go portable.
post #99 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This. I think that's all that is holding it up now. They're readying a large stock to delivery to all channels at once.

I hoping this is a substantial enough upgrade in performance to convince me to go portable.

pmz go portable. You'll love it. It's all benefits. Only cost is well the cost. unless you need massive computer horsepower. Once you go laptop...you'll probably never go back. A screen and keyboard to hook into on the desk to make it into a desktop when home/office. I agree they must be stockpiling. I wish we could at least get a preview a week ahead of time. It'd give us time to get cases if they change the dimensions, buy other accessories or make plans, etc. This secrecy stuff for such minor updates is kind of an annoyance. Like I said somewhere I'm predicting when Jobs leaves they'll start being more open about minor updates like this, at least by a couple weeks ahead of release.
post #100 of 125
It's definitely coming this Tuesday (16th)...no doubt about it, considering current promotions by many stores...
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #101 of 125
I don't know about it coming this Tuesday but it needs to be soon or it will take a lot of anticipation from the iPad.
post #102 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

It's definitely coming this Tuesday (16th)...no doubt about it, considering current promotions by many stores...

What promotions?
post #103 of 125
I think everyone one here needs to pick a date of when the new MBP's will be released. Closest Wins, wins "Top Know It All" award...haha

I pick Feb. 23
post #104 of 125
March 16th is my guess.
post #105 of 125
Quote:

I think everyone one here needs to pick a date of when the new MBP's will be released. Closest Wins, wins "Top Know It All" award...haha

I pick Feb. 23

I wish 2/16 but...I'm going to back you on Feb. 23 Fox.
post #106 of 125
I vote today.

Later today, I will amend my vote to seven days from now.
post #107 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I vote today.

Usually they have the product in stores that day so if they haven't brought down the stores by now for the change it's not likely to happen.
post #108 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I vote today.

Get ready to amend. Damnit Steve finish tightening those screws on my new MBP!
post #109 of 125
I thought it would be today, but now my vote is on the 23rd...
post #110 of 125
Best Buy updated their system with 3 product listings:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/d...entory-system/

One of the commenters said they worked at Best Buy and the product would take about 2 weeks to come in. I'd have expected sooner i.e next week but if Apple are going to use NVidia Optimus, they won't ship until early March.

I was hoping for a jump to either the Radeon 5650 or GTS 250M but the Geforce 300 series with Optimus tech might be better for Apple's desire for long battery life.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_m_series.html

Anything from the 325M and up is better than the 9600M GT. The 350M is probably too much to expect.

I imagine the 3 models will be the current 3 highest end MBPs, which have the 9600M GT. Everything below can get a minor CPU upgrade and like the iMac line stick with the 9400M on the entry level.

CPUs will probably be Core 2 Duo first then Core i5 then Core i7 on the 17" or corei5/i7 options on the last two.
post #111 of 125
Might be tomorrow. Whenever there is a Monday holiday (Presidents Day in the US) it seems like they push any updates they are planning to Wednesday. Here's hoping. Just found out last week my new laptop budget was approved and my Applecare is running out this year.
post #112 of 125
Quote:

I was hoping for a jump to either the Radeon 5650 or GTS 250M but the Geforce 300 series with Optimus tech might be better for Apple's desire for long battery life.

I think you're right about the battery life concern ... at this point I'm thinking quad-core is out of the picture for the same reason. It seems like the high-end Windows laptops are mostly using the quad i7 Clarksfield, but they all end up with meager battery life as a result. I bet Apple is going to stick with Arrandale across the line. Optimus would be sweet, seems a little early for that but who knows?
post #113 of 125
Who is looking to buy what!!! I am looking to buy a 17" with antiglare. Is the 17 to big to really be a portable device for the plane or to carry around with you all over town?

So what is everyone looking to get when the new bugger comes out?
post #114 of 125
Quote:

Who is looking to buy what!!! I am looking to buy a 17" with antiglare. Is the 17 to big to really be a portable device for the plane or to carry around with you all over town?

17inch is way too big to be a portable device. I'm still debating between the 13 and 15 inch.
post #115 of 125
Quote:

Best Buy updated their system with 3 product listings:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/d...entory-system/

One of the commenters said they worked at Best Buy and the product would take about 2 weeks to come in. I'd have expected sooner i.e next week but if Apple are going to use NVidia Optimus, they won't ship until early March.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_m_series.html

Anything from the 325M and up is better than the 9600M GT. The 350M is probably too much to expect.

I imagine the 3 models will be the current 3 highest end MBPs, which have the 9600M GT. Everything below can get a minor CPU upgrade and like the iMac line stick with the 9400M on the entry level.

CPUs will probably be Core 2 Duo first then Core i5 then Core i7 on the 17" or corei5/i7 options on the last two.

I doubt after the refresh there will be any Core 2 Duo systems left in the MB/MBP lines. I think all these machines will use Core i3/i5/i7 Arrandales. The Arrandales run on a new platform with a new chipset, and it makes the most sense from a cost perspective to keep the entire generation of machines in the same platform, which is what Apple has done in the past. So I think Core i3/i5 and no discrete graphics in the MB, and Core i5/i7 with discrete graphics in the 13/15/17inch MBPs.
post #116 of 125
Man I bet Apple is super busy with all that is going on. Trying to get the MBP out before the release of the iPad, Gettting the iPad out without any problems, New iPhone update, getting the iMac's fixed and getting the shipped out, oh yeah and Steve's book...hehe
post #117 of 125
Quote:

I'm holding out for a quad-core 17" & blu-ray burner. As for travel, I have no problems using my
17" powerbook on a plane. I tend to book the seat in the back that doesn't have a seat in front of it
for the extra room.
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
post #118 of 125
I heard blu-ray doesn't do very well in a portable device because it has fragile parts or fragile alignment issues? Is that correct?
post #119 of 125
You know this delay from the expected january release is welcome. I have stuffed a few more dollars under the mattress . . . er I mean saved in the bank. That will just make this purchase a little easier. Might even upgrade some features like faster HD or more RAM.
post #120 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

You know this delay from the expected january release is welcome. I have stuffed a few more dollars under the mattress . . . er I mean saved in the bank. That will just make this purchase a little easier. Might even upgrade some features like faster HD or more RAM.

WelshDog, I like how you think! I think I will be sticking to what I feel is best for me.... Top of the line baby!!!

Cymru Am Byth
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Unannounced Core i7 Apple MacBook Pro benchmarks surface