or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Sarah Palin and the Tea Bag Party
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sarah Palin and the Tea Bag Party - Page 2

post #41 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Unlike your hero Obama, who has to set up a teleprompter to lecture to and answer questions from 6th graders?

Obama uses a professional tool for a professional speech. Palin uses something third graders use.
post #42 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Obama uses a professional tool for a professional speech. Palin uses something third graders use.

Wow, really reaching to drag down a person now.

"Oh look, she wrote a note on her hand, that proves she must be an idiot!"

I know plenty of very intelligent people who write notes on their hands, even though they have a suitable device (blackberry/iphone/etc) they could use instead. Heck, they even sometimes have a pad of paper nearby. Yes I poke fun at them, but it does not reflect on their intelligence, just their habits.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #43 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Wow, really reaching to drag down a person now.

"Oh look, she wrote a note on her hand, that proves she must be an idiot!"

I know plenty of very intelligent people who write notes on their hands, even though they have a suitable device (blackberry/iphone/etc) they could use instead. Heck, they even sometimes have a pad of paper nearby. Yes I poke fun at them, but it does not reflect on their intelligence, just their habits.

The point is that she wrote something on her hand to prepare herself for a question she knew was coming.

What she wrote on her hand was supposed to be some of her core principles.

She had just had a dig at the President for using a teleprompter.

She wants to be taken seriously as a woman of substance, a politician with command of the facts, and writes stuff on her hand? In a televised interview?

There are many, many reasons why, in a sane world, no one would be defending this callow, insubstantial, hypocritical, barely-competent person.

If you want this woman representing you on the world stage in closed negotiating rooms with properly-prepared world leaders of weight and substance, you absolutely deserve what you get.
post #44 of 162
And she was being paid a supposed $100,000. Many speakers do better for far less.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #45 of 162
Here's an example of what I've been saying about 3rd parties.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/....html?hpt=Sbin

Quote:
Fractures emerge as Tea Party convenes

Don't tell me they're divided just like the other parties we know and love!

This is what I've meant when I said they will suffer the same failings.

We need to work together folks if you want to get out of this hole. Like it or not.

Also :
Quote:
But the unanswered questions are where that takes the Tea Party and how it affects the GOP in the long term.

"If it helps focus the Republican Party on a core message of a return to fiscal conservatism, which it abandoned when it had unified control of Congress ... then I think that can help strengthen the party's commitment to that core unifying issue," Avlon said.

"But if it just empowers the extremes in the party, then I think when extremes control parties, when wingnuts hijack a political party -- ultimately, they take it off a cliff."

Another simple truth.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #46 of 162
First of all don't confuse defense wit support. Or vice-versa. My only point here is the shallowness of your argument. If she had wrote it down on a notepad or teleprompter you likely would not be saying anything. But since she wrote it on her hand it is a reflection on her intelligence.

She had, if the picture is to be believed, three or four words on her hand. She was hardly tied to a script that she was ill prepared for. Looked like a list of main talking points with all the facts being memorized. If you truly believe that makes her an idiot then that is your opinion.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #47 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

First of all don't confuse defense wit support. Or vice-versa. My only point here is the shallowness of your argument. If she had wrote it down on a notepad or teleprompter you likely would not be saying anything. But since she wrote it on her hand it is a reflection on her intelligence.

She had, if the picture is to be believed, three or four words on her hand. She was hardly tied to a script that she was ill prepared for. Looked like a list of main talking points with all the facts being memorized. If you truly believe that makes her an idiot you are more shallow and condescending than I gave you credit for.

Well, I'll ignore the ad hominem stuff because I think you're a good sort.

But yes, she is very stupid.

She knew the questions in advance. That is clear, because she prepared for them.

Not by memorising anything, even though one would think that access to what are supposed to be core principles should be an easy matter, but by writing on her hand.

She consulted her hand surreptitiously. Just... look at the video. She sneaked a look. You're "not supposed" to consult cards in a Q and A like this. Have prepared remarks on a teleprompter? OK. You're hardly hiding anything if you consult it. It's not possible to hide it.

But to make a jab at the President for using a teleprompter and then sneak a look at some words you were too... lazy? stupid? unprepared? to memorise?

Lame. Hypocritical.

The comparison with Obama is irresistible. He took questions for an hour from GOP reps without knowing the questions in advance and nothing written down at all.

Palin can't even answer questions that don't require any policy specifics without "cheating".

Again, Ii you want this woman representing you on the world stage in closed negotiating rooms with properly-prepared world leaders of weight and substance, you absolutely deserve what you get.

Although I would pay money to watch the results. Your country will be finished, but I would pay to watch it happen.
post #48 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Well, I'll ignore the ad hominem stuff because I think you're a good sort.

But yes, she is very stupid.

She knew the questions in advance. That is clear, because she prepared for them.

Not by memorising anything, even though one would think that access to what are supposed to be core principles should be an easy matter, but by writing on her hand.

She consulted her hand surreptitiously. Just... look at the video. She sneaked a look. You're "not supposed" to consult cards in a Q and A like this. Have prepared remarks on a teleprompter? OK. You're hardly hiding anything if you consult it. It's not possible to hide it.

But to make a jab at the President for using a teleprompter and then sneak a look at some words you were too... lazy? stupid? unprepared? to memorise?

Lame. Hypocritical.

The comparison with Obama is irresistible. He took questions for an hour from GOP reps without knowing the questions in advance and nothing written down at all.

Palin can't even answer questions that don't require any policy specifics without "cheating".

Again, Ii you want this woman representing you on the world stage in closed negotiating rooms with properly-prepared world leaders of weight and substance, you absolutely deserve what you get.

Although I would pay money to watch the results. Your country will be finished, but I would pay to watch it happen.

I apologize for the statement I made about you directly. This argument rubs me the wrong way. I see the point you are pushing, but I don't believe that you would apply it evenly given the chance. If you want to poke fun at her for writing stuff on her hand, fine. To try to use it as proof that she is somehow stupid or unintelligent holds no water whatsoever.

Personally, I get tired of the political games that some people play. You have people saying they want to eliminate the career politicians and Washington DC insiders and then they complain when a person tries to run for an office and are not a consummate politician and gifted orator with a photographic memory. (I am not saying this is your view, mostly just getting on a soapbox for a bit.) To me, the job of a representative is to ensure their constituents are represented. That does not mean they have to be the consummate politician with a slick demeanor and a gift for gab. They need to be resolute in their position and to remember why they were voted for in the first place. We do not have enough people in office like this and honestly people are too concerned with how their politicians appear and sound than what they are actually doing most of the time. For example, a person with Tourette's would likely never be voted into office no matter how intelligent they were because they have the uncontrollable tick that marks their condition. Does this make them an idiot or incapable of representing people?

The only comparison with this and Palin is that, just because she wrote some words on her hand and then had the audacity to look at them during her question session does not make her less intelligent. It could however signal that she is not necessarily the most secure or organized person. She took steps however to ensure that the points she felt were important were covered. Maybe she should get herself an electronic device and put her crib sheet there instead...

As far as paying to see it happen, I am sure you can send in your money to help get her elected if the time comes.

As for wanting her representing me, I don't believe I have said anything about her being my choice for any office.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #49 of 162
Fair enough.

I think by 'you' I was referring to a generic "You evil conservative bastards who want to eat poor people".

Kind of unfair, I know.

But I just... she gives me the willies.

Just remember... remember when we said "GOD NO PLEASE DON'T ELECT GEORGE BUSH HE WILL BE A DISASTER" ? And we were right?

Well, GOD NO PLEASE DON'T ELECT SARAH PALIN SHE WILL BE EVEN WORSE
post #50 of 162
Conservatives set the standard to be judged by bitching about the teleprompter. Live by your own god damn standards and judge your own with the same measure. To do any less is the utmost hypocrisy.

Noah, you say you defend Sarah because you feel the other side wouldn't apply the same standard. The other side didn't come up with the fucking standard, though. Your side did. Your argument amounts to "I'm defending Sarah because you guys won't subject your own guy to this unreasonable, arbitrary standard which we created and already used to judged your guy but now that you expect us to live up to that same unreasonable and arbitrary standard, uhh, well, it's unreasonable and arbitrary and unless you guys hold your guy to it, well, forget it, you're raging hypocrites, even though you technically never made nor applied the standard but merely asked us to apply the same standard with which we judge your guy to judge our own."

The logic is flawless. This statement is sarcasm.

Step 1: Make rules.
Step 2: Somehow always win the PR war so that the rules only ever apply to the other side.
Step 3: Profit for the few, despair for the rest.

Don't you love the Conservative platform?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #51 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Conservatives set the standard to be judged by bitching about the teleprompter. Live by your own god damn standards and judge your own with the same measure. To do any less is the utmost hypocrisy.

Noah, you say you defend Sarah because you feel the other side wouldn't apply the same standard. The other side didn't come up with the fucking standard, though. Your side did. Your argument amounts to "I'm defending Sarah because you guys won't subject your own guy to this unreasonable, arbitrary standard which we created and already used to judged your guy but now that you expect us to live up to that same unreasonable and arbitrary standard, uhh, well, it's unreasonable and arbitrary and unless you guys hold your guy to it, well, forget it, you're raging hypocrites, even though you technically never made nor applied the standard but merely asked us to apply the same standard with which we judge your guy to judge our own."

The logic is flawless. This statement is sarcasm.

Step 1: Make rules.
Step 2: Somehow always win the PR war so that the rules only ever apply to the other side.
Step 3: Profit for the few, despair for the rest.

Don't you love the Conservative platform?

I had wondered if your original post was aimed at me directly or just at conservatives in general. Thank you for clarifying. Now please take a moment and show me where I have taken issue with anyone's use of teleprompters. When you find none, kindly retract your comments directed at me.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #52 of 162
Sara complained about teleprompters... then used a telepalmter. That is hypocrisy.
Sara complained about Rahm's use of "retarded", but not Rush's. That is hypocrisy.

She is a hypocrite.

---

Megan McCain called out the Tea Party for racism and also added:

"revolutions start with young people, not with 65-year-old people talking about literacy tests"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_453778.html

Yep. The link is to the Huff Po. Some may not like it, but they have a video of Megan speaking.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #53 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I had wondered if your original post was aimed at me directly or just at conservatives in general. Thank you for clarifying. Now please take a moment and show me where I have taken issue with anyone's use of teleprompters. When you find none, kindly retract your comments directed at me.

You don't make it very clear that you approve of Obama's use of teleprompters...or don't disapprove of his use at least. Your defense of her in the same conversation as the Obama-teleprompter business makes such an inference that I made rather obvious. Kindly make a little disclaimer with your defense of Sarah that you also think that the nuts bitching about Obama and his teleprompters should shut up, too. I didn't see you leap to his defense. If you did, then I'll apologize.

So, to sum up:

Your decision to defend Sarah but stay silent with Obama caused this miscommunication.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #54 of 162
Why do they fret over every little thing Palin does, but turn a blind eye to Obama?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #55 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You don't make it very clear that you approve of Obama's use of teleprompters...or don't disapprove of his use at least. Your defense of her in the same conversation as the Obama-teleprompter business makes such an inference that I made rather obvious. Kindly make a little disclaimer with your defense of Sarah that you also think that the nuts bitching about Obama and his teleprompters should shut up, too. I didn't see you leap to his defense. If you did, then I'll apologize.

So, to sum up:

Your decision to defend Sarah but stay silent with Obama caused this miscommunication.

Bull. Period.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #56 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Bull. Period.

Or...yes. Do you have a problem with Obama and his teleprompters?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #57 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

My first reaction was 'Photoshopped'. Ha ha. Very good.

But no. It's real. It really is.



Oh. My. Sweet. Jebus.

Say hi to the Republican front runner for 2012, at least according to the pundits on CNN when talking about this speech.

National co-sponsors include Tea Party Patriots, ResistNet, National Taxpayers Union, Americans For Tax Reform, Young Americans for Liberty, Ayn Rand Center, Campaign for Liberty, Free Republic, Young America’s Foundation, Smart Girl Politics, and The Club for Growth.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #58 of 162
So what? We have a president who can't put 3 words together on the fly without 2 teleprompters.

Obama Uses Teleprompters During Speech At Elementary School

Some people use notes on their hand. Others use teleprompters with the entire text of their speech. So what?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #59 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

So what? We have a president who can't put 3 words together on the fly without 2 teleprompters.

Obama Uses Teleprompters During Speech At Elementary School

Some people use notes on their hand. Others use teleprompters with the entire text of their speech. So what?

Again, wasn't that proved false during the Q&A sessions following the state of the union? I remember seeing several links to videos showing Obama being plenty articulate and knowledgeable without any aids. Yet you continue to spread the lies. Yet you say you want everyone to work together and get beyond our differences. Yet you continue to spread the lies that lead to more divisiveness. I told you that you wouldn't live up to your own words. See, it wasn't condescension. It was merely a statement of fact.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #60 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Again, wasn't that proved false during the Q&A sessions following the state of the union? I remember seeing several links to videos showing Obama being plenty articulate and knowledgeable without any aids. Yet you continue to spread the lies. Yet you say you want everyone to work together and get beyond our differences. Yet you continue to spread the lies that lead to more divisiveness. I told you that you wouldn't live up to your own words. See, it wasn't condescension. It was merely a statement of fact.

Q & A sessions that were controlled and that Obama no doubt rehearsed for with his staffers.

The examples of Obama's lack of clarity, mumbling, stumbling, and taking forever to make a point are plentiful. Continue to ignore them if you like.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #61 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Q & A sessions that were controlled and that Obama no doubt rehearsed for with his staffers.

The examples of Obama's lack of clarity, mumbling, stumbling, and taking forever to make a point are plentiful. Continue to ignore them if you like.

You said he couldn't put three words together. I showed he could. Deal with it. Stop moving the goalposts.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #62 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You said he couldn't put three words together. I showed he could. Deal with it. Stop moving the goalposts.

My apologies. I misspoke. I meant he can't put three words together unless he has a teleprompter OR unless he's in a controlled environment and is coached beforehand on how exactly to respond to permitted questions.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #63 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Q & A sessions that were controlled and that Obama no doubt rehearsed for with his staffers.

Preparation is now a grounds for criticism??
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #64 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Preparation is now a grounds for criticism??

A few notes scribbled on a hand is now a grounds for criticism??

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #65 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Preparation is now a grounds for criticism??

Exactly.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #66 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Q & A sessions that were controlled and that Obama no doubt rehearsed for with his staffers.

How, exactly, was Obama's Q & A more "controlled" and "rehearsed" than Palin's?
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #67 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

How, exactly, was Obama's Q & A more "controlled" and "rehearsed" than Palin's?

Did I say that Palin's wasn't?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #68 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

he's in a controlled environment and is coached beforehand on how exactly to respond to permitted questions.

The Republican Q&A showed him being damn articulate in response to questions he didn't know beforehand. Keep moving the goal posts...keep spinning...this doesn't help move the country forward. Live by your own standard and drop all this nonsense.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #69 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The Republican Q&A showed him being damn articulate in response to questions he didn't know beforehand. Keep moving the goal posts...keep spinning...this doesn't help move the country forward. Live by your own standard and drop all this nonsense.

Look at the many, many examples of Obama stumbling, fumbling, mumbling, and struggling to make a point. One "articulate" Q & A session is not enough to erase all that, IMO.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #70 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Look at the many, many examples of Obama stumbling, fumbling, mumbling, and struggling to make a point. One "articulate" Q & A session is not enough to erase all that, IMO.

Oh, so now he did have an articulate session. Move those goal posts even more.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #71 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Or...yes. Do you have a problem with Obama and his teleprompters?

Have I ever said anything about Obama and his teleprompters? Please argue about it with someone else who actually cares... \
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #72 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Oh, so now he did have an articulate session. Move those goal posts even more.

I said he didn't?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #73 of 162
You said he couldn't put 3 words together.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #74 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You said he couldn't put 3 words together.

That's not all I said.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #75 of 162
Jazz: Assertion
Me: Disproves assertion
Jazz: Assertion with qualifications
Me: Disproves qualifications
Jazz: Repeats the same disproved stuff anyway and continues to change the argument ad infinitum.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #76 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Did I say that Palin's wasn't?

If hers was as well, then why are you criticizing Obama for it in her defense?

If it was, then Palin was doing the same thing she criticized Obama for.. which is kind of the point of the thread.
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #77 of 162
A simple fact.

Most Politicians at some point use teleprompters.

Another simple fact.

All politicians are human.

A last simple fact.

Some politicians do better than others in off the cuff speeches and Q&A sessions. It does not make one or the other more intelligent though it may sound or look that way to some.

Sheesh...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #78 of 162
Newsbusters is pretty summative on this matter...

First no one would care about the hand notes, except they are so desperate to defend the continual very strange use of teleprompters by President Obama.

Quote:
Yep. A teleprompter with EVERY WORD one is going to say in front of a group written on it -- even when speaking at an elementary school!!! -- is the same as having a few words written on your hand

/condescending liberal tone: Don't you all understand that when someone write six words on their hand, it is EXACTLY THE SAME as reading entire speeches, verbatim, off of teleprompters.

If you don't see that... well it is just because you are a greedy, racist, hateful, fear-mongering, denying, distorter of epic proportions.

/tone off

Or maybe the reality is that they aren't the same.

As for the claims about the Obama Q&A
there is plenty to pick apart if one wants to dig into it. As is par for the Obama course, it contains little in the way of hard numbers or policy discussion. Platitudes are the norm. There are plenty of segments where if they were run with by the media on their little 30 second loop followed by 15 minutes of "analysis" telling us all that the 30 second proves someone is an idiot (like they are doing with Palin right now in fact) then Obama would look just as bad if not much, much worse.

Quote:
THE PRESIDENT: Fifty-five and -- well, no, I understand. I mean, there's a grandfathering in, but just for future beneficiaries, right? That's why I said I didn't want to -- I want to make sure that I'm not being unfair to your proposal, but I just want to point out that I've read it. And the basic idea would be that at some point we hold Medicare cost per recipient constant as a way of making sure that that doesn't go way out of whack, and I'm sure there are some details that --

CONGRESSMAN RYAN: We drew it as a blend of inflation and health inflation, the point of our plan is -- because Medicare, as you know, is a $38 trillion unfunded liability -- it has to be reform for younger generations because it won't exist because it's going bankrupt. And the premise of our idea is, look, why not give people the same kind of health care plan we here have in Congress? That's the kind of reform we're proposing for Medicare. (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: No, I understand. Right, right. Well, look, as I said before, this is an entirely legitimate proposal. The problem is twofold: One is that depending on how it's structured, if recipients are suddenly getting a plan that has their reimbursement rates going like this, but health care costs are still going up like that, then over time the way we're saving money is essentially by capping what they're getting relative to their costs.

BTW, if the news were also legitimate, they would note that capping medical care is rationing medical care.

Any time you read Obama replies, the lack of numbers is troubling. It always rolls around platitudes and discussions of problems left versus solutions proposed and no critique of those solutions is allowed because it would involve those messy numbers. All Obama does in these very long winded answers is basically say, you bring up these facts and numbers, but in a nice manner, I going to push the spin and call you liars.

It's so much easier than thinking with things like... numbers. The question notes a 38 trillion dollar unfunded liability. The president answers with platitudes about wouldn't it be nice if no one played the blame game and what constitutes "serious" discussion. Shiny platitudes from a handsome man might quality as good "speechifying" from those easily impressed with the 'news' on Comedy Central, but for many of us, the bar is much higher.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #79 of 162
BTW wouldn't it be funny if someone found a video of Obama reading the same word wrong three times off his teleprompter? Certainly he is so brilliant that this could never happen and yet it does.

Perhaps he should have checked the pronounciation with the notes on his hand. Perhaps next time they can type it in like this....kôr′mən.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #80 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

BTW wouldn't it be funny if someone found a video of Obama reading the same word wrong three times off his teleprompter? Certainly he is so brilliant that this could never happen and yet it does.

Perhaps he should have checked the pronounciation with the notes on his hand. Perhaps next time they can type it in like this....kôr′mən.

Can't wait to see the ad-homs that result from this one. Nice find.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Sarah Palin and the Tea Bag Party