or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPad or PS3

iPad or PS3

post #1 of 19
Got another Qollege Qolleague Question;

CC was planning on buying a Blu-Ray Play Station 3 to connect to a HDTV for streaming movies, HDD content, etc. After reading about the iPad, she would like to know if the iPad would do the same at the same quality as PS3. Though the iPad would cost $200 more, she would be getting all of the other iPad features over the PS3.

Come on, guys. Help me sound intelligent and informed. She's puurrrty.
ADS
ADS
post #2 of 19
I don't have an iPad, but I do have a PS3 with a 320GB hard drive. It's great.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 19
The PS3 will output to an HDTV at full resolution... not the iPad.
PS3 play's BR at 1080p... not the iPad.
PS3 will play DVD and does a great job upscaling to HDTV's ... not the iPad.
The PS3 will play movies you've ripped onto it's internal drive, or from an external USB drive (either from discs or downloads)...
The PS3 will play movies streamed to it over your network from a Mac or PC.

The PS3 CAN browse the internet, but it SUCKS huge!!... it appears the iPad will do that well.
The iPad can run any of the thousands of APPs from the iTunes App Store ... the PS3 can play games.

For connecting to an HDTV and watching/streaming video, the PS3 should be the "no-contest" winner.

But the iPad will do ever so much more... (but it's content likely won't look so good on a 46" HD LCD screen.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #4 of 19
The PS3 is not a tablet computer -- at all.
The iPad is not a media/game console -- at all.

If you are a Netflix subscriber, the PS3 is a great thing to have, because it can play blu-ray and also stream the "watch instantly" Netflix features. The iPad cannot do either. If you watch more than 4 or 5 things a month, Netflix very quickly becomes much cheaper than iTunes.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #5 of 19
I echo the above comments.

Netflix streaming DVD for the PS3 keeps me well entertained for a low monthly price also it can play awesome 3D games. It has the HDCP copy protection scheme needed to watch content. The PS3 has a awesome (up to) 9 core Cell processor. (it will keep you warm too)

The iPad is more like a e-reader with some scaled down computer like features, no HDCP or HDTV output. It's only got a small 1GHz processor.

If you get a PS3, make sure you download and enable the "Life with Playstation" to start like 10 minutes or so if your PS3 is idle. What it will do is run the FoldingAtHome software from Stanford University to combat disease. It's really easy to do and automatic, make sure to enter the team 1971 number too. So the team gets credit for your work units.

You can find out more at the TeamMacOSX 1971 website.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #6 of 19
I knew I could count on you guys for answers. I just emailed them to my college colleague. Plus, I liked your answers so much, I think I'll get a PS3, myself. I hadn't even thought of it before. From what you've told me, it sounds like the PS3 is the best deal around,
I just sent your replies to my daughter in Boston.
ADS
ADS
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Geez, if she's that cute buy a PS3 and invite her over to your iPad...
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If you get a PS3, make sure you download and enable the "Life with Playstation" to start like 10 minutes or so if your PS3 is idle. What it will do is run the FoldingAtHome software from Stanford University to combat disease. It's really easy to do and automatic, make sure to enter the team 1971 number too. So the team gets credit for your work units.

Done... folding right now as 1971
post #9 of 19
Update:
My female college colleague, upon advice from AI members, has purchased a Play Station 3.

Unfortunately, Vinea, I can't invite her to my pad. I found out that she has a boyfriend. Ratz!

Sequitur
ADS
ADS
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

The PS3 is not a tablet computer -- at all.
The iPad is not a media/game console -- at all.

If you are a Netflix subscriber, the PS3 is a great thing to have, because it can play blu-ray and also stream the "watch instantly" Netflix features. The iPad cannot do either. If you watch more than 4 or 5 things a month, Netflix very quickly becomes much cheaper than iTunes.

I must make a few corrections to this post. I have PS3 and IPad and in regard to Netflix. If you have a netflix account there is a netflix app where u can stream movies instantly the same as PS3. I must agree with a previous post though that ps3 is the hands down winner for gaming and movies (audio video outputs resolution etc...). The iPad is great for email, simple Internet surfing, use on airplanes, portablility etc...You are comparing apples and oranges. They are ea lch clear winners in their respective categories.
post #11 of 19
Quote:

Got another Qollege Qolleague Question;

CC was planning on buying a Blu-Ray Play Station 3 to connect to a HDTV for streaming movies, HDD content, etc. After reading about the iPad, she would like to know if the iPad would do the same at the same quality as PS3. Though the iPad would cost $200 more, she would be getting all of the other iPad features over the PS3.

No. iPad will not have the same quality because PS does 3D... er, at least it will
post #12 of 19
Haha, They are totally different. Just think which one you need mostly, will use frequently. Then buy it!
post #13 of 19
HA. And what's even better is that 'beauty' is about as far from reality as it can get! Compare the (heavily doctored) photo's used by the media from her Facebook page and then the news clip of her on camera and you'll see quite a difference! A pig nosed fake-red head with a bad shirt? But how can that be!?
post #14 of 19
This is a really weird comparison, since the 2 do completely different things.

However, if you had to go with 1, I would certainly recommend the PS3 over the iPad.

(Note: You can watch Netflix on the iPad)
post #15 of 19
Quote:

Update: My female college colleague, upon advice from AI members, has purchased a Play Station 3.

Unfortunately, Vinea, I can't invite her to my pad. I found out that she has a boyfriend. Ratz!

Sequitur

You should have found out if she had a boyfriend *before* wasting time trying to help her! Hah! Joking...

Totally bizarre question though, I have to say... iPad or PS3... They're quite different and for very different things. For now.
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

On an iPad and you won't be able to run Flash. I.o.w.: no Youtube (a.o.).

No idea what your acronyms mean, but fortunately, I don't have to know to know that you're wrong.

There's a fricking YouTube application on the iPad. That's how you use YouTube. Pretty darn simple.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #17 of 19
Quote:

Is there an app for each of the millions of other websites that apply Flash as well?

Name one thing that Flash can do that HTML5 can't. One.

post #18 of 19
FWIW:

Convert Adobe Flash FLA files into HTML and reach more devices

"Wallaby" is the codename for an experimental technology that converts the artwork and animation contained in Adobe® Flash® Professional (FLA) files into HTML. This allows you to reuse and extend the reach of your content to devices that do not support the Flash runtimes. Once these files are converted to HTML, you can edit them with an HTML editing tool, such as Adobe Dreamweaver®, or by hand if desired. You can view the output in one of the supported browsers or on an iOS device.

Please note that not all Flash Professional features are supported in the HTML5 format. The Wallaby Release Notes describe what features are supported, what differences we have already discovered between the various browsers, what device variations have been found, and any currently known issues.
ADS
ADS
post #19 of 19
Quote:

...billions of Flash files.

The only Flash files that cannot be easily converted to HTML code equivalent are games with ActionScript. The other "billions" are simply hideous navigation bars that people were to lazy to do properly, animated headers/footers/pages that can be easily redone in HTML (now that the capabilities exist within the standard), and video. Which shouldn't have been Flash in the first place and can now be H.264 MP4s.

Wallaby does not yet convert ActionScript to HTML5, but with tools like Hype available, that's barely even a problem anymore.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › iPad or PS3