or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Consumers lose interest in iPad after Apple's unveiling - survey

Consumers lose interest in iPad after Apple's unveiling - survey - Page 4

post #121 of 403
Revised Edit
post #122 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Why? Wasn't Apple competent to build the 3GS back then? Were there technological breakthroughs that allowed cut and paste and a faster processor?

Wasn't the competition able to build a better phone with a better interface? Wasn't the competition able to change the entire Mobile landscape almost overnight?\\

Even without cut and paste and 3G speeds, Apple showed the entire industry how it's done, and done right. And the also-rans *still* haven't got it right after over two years of witnessing everything Apple has done with the iPhone.

Apple seems to be setting the pace.
post #123 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, anything to do with MDN is a crock also. That is possibly the MOST fanboyish Mac site around.

They're also right most of the time, believe it or not.
post #124 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Actually what made the iPhone a real hit was the 3G version and the opening of the App Store. Just because launch numbers were great doesn't mean it was sustainable. It clearly was not with the first Gen phone and they recognized the market wanted a 3G version or they weren't buying it.

That's something we'll never know.
post #125 of 403
In my opinion primary reason the 3G was such a big seller is because the price became subsidized. The app store and faster network connection did play a part in its success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Actually what made the iPhone a real hit was the 3G version and the opening of the App Store. Just because launch numbers were great doesn't mean it was sustainable. It clearly was not with the first Gen phone and they recognized the market wanted a 3G version or they weren't buying it.
post #126 of 403
The 3G radio chip used in 2008 wasn't available in 2007.

Quote:

Why? Wasn't Apple competent to build the 3GS back then? Were there technological breakthroughs that allowed cut and paste and a faster processor?
post #127 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Is browsing better than on any device that has come before it?

Not without Flash it's not. I think that Joe Public will be pissed if Apple advertises that this is the best way to surf. The best bet is to let iSteve's ill-advised remark to die a quiet death.
post #128 of 403
I can't bear to read all the comments here, but as far as I can tell, 9% of people (lets say adults) intend to buy an iPad... so that's probably 6 - 12 million in the US alone.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #129 of 403
Is anyone really expecting all that much public interest in a product that 1) has yet to ship, and 2) has yet to be advertised? C'mon. We had a friend over yesterday to watch the Superbowl, and I asked him if he heard about the iPad. Yeah, he heard of it, but seemed pretty ambivalent towards it. Then I showed him the short video clip posted on Apple's webpage. It blew him away. Take any current poll about the iPad's popularity with a large grain of salt.
post #130 of 403
What evidence do you have that the general public cares anything about Flash?

Quote:

Not without Flash it's not. I think that Joe Public will be pissed if Apple advertises that this is the best way to surf. The best bet is to let iSteve's ill-advised remark to die a quiet death.
post #131 of 403
Quote:

Newer chips that came out allowed lower power use and better compatibility with the rest of the phone.

I'd rather a company start with an excellent base product and then build upon it, rather than trying to be everything to everyone, and having something that no one seems to want. The new Google Nexus One is a good example. Selling about 22,000 in the first week. Or the Palm Pre. Even the Droid sold much more poorly than any of the iPhone models, despite its being released just before the holiday selling season, while the iPhones were released in the slower summer months.
post #132 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

FuturePastNow didn't get the fact that you're Dutch and your English is a little weak idiomatically. I scratched my head for a second over your "trust" statement, until I realized that you would have been clearer if you had said, ". . . how little trust. . ." instead of ". . .how much trust. . .".

Not making excuses for the guy, though! I personally think he's rather clueless.

Hmm, yes, it's a language related 'error'. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
post #133 of 403
Quote:

I prefer to think about what would happen if everybody went to Disneyland this weekend.

Do you understand the point?

No. Exactly what is that point?
post #134 of 403
I'm actually surprised that there is not more outcry/complaining that Apple is moving down the road of an OS that's completely locked away from the user and forcing them to only run applications that Apple deems are 'good' to run. This is fine when we're talking about a cell phone that we might pay $200 for with a subsidy from AT&T (Generalizing on the price) but when someone's dropping close to $1k for a device, I would assume that they'd be able to have the ability to choose 'what' they want to run on it.

Additionally - do we as users of such devices want to start showing manufacturers in general that we're fine with them taking choice away when we install applications?
post #135 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

I'm actually surprised that there is not more outcry/complaining that Apple is moving down the road of an OS that's completely locked away from the user and forcing them to only run applications that Apple deems are 'good' to run. This is fine when we're talking about a cell phone that we might pay $200 for with a subsidy from AT&T (Generalizing on the price) but when someone's dropping close to $1k for a device, I would assume that they'd be able to have the ability to choose 'what' they want to run on it.

Plenty of choice in the App Store. And there's about to be a lot more.

What would I want to do with the OS to require Apple to not "lock" it away from me?
post #136 of 403
Revised Edit
post #137 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Now that is the most asinine statement anybody could make.

Who cares? Am I to assume that this site deserves higher respect; just because we have wimps here that allow unlimited trolling and is thus more honest than one that just posts the news and let's the reader voice a judgement call, but is managed by a pro-Apple-leaning editor.

At least when I read MDN, I can see for myself the full text of the referenced subject, unlike many of the AI articles.

If the survey conducted by Epocrates was such a crock, why the heck did AI feature it? Just to create shit? Now that is a real crock.

You don't have to care. I've been at MDN for years. It's an extreme. You don't have to like that, but it's true. We have our fanboys and trolls here, but overall, we have many more members, and most issues are far better balanced in the posting. We also don't have a commentator who made drivel his word about almost every news story that is presented. Remember, they don't generate their own articles as we do here. They are just a news aggregator.

I happen to think the headline for this story was ill chosen, and MDN took the exact opposite tack. Both interpretations could be correct, depending on how one looks at it.

I wouldn't call the editor of MDN as "pro-Apple-leaning". He's much more hysterical than that. Even there, posters often comment on that.

You think we're wimps because we allow people to speak their minds? You would prefer we remove all posting that isn't pro Apple? You like censorship if it complies with your thinking?
post #138 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you guys are reading the survey wrong.

It's pretty clear that the difference between before and after on the first graph is a large number of people who hadn't heard of it (and therefore didn't know if they wanted it), now know about it and have decided they don't want it. So?

The number of people interested in it enough to be customers has actually *increased* from the "before" to the "after." Similarly, the number of people interested but still wanting to know more has also gone up. The number of people stil interested but "sure they aren't going to buy one" has actually gone down.

This is all good news for Apple.

Same goes for the second graph. the number of people saying they will buy it has *increased* and the number people thinking about it has also slightly *increased.*

These graphs don't show the dismal picture the article paints.

Exactly. Actually, the number of people interested in buying one increased three times.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #139 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It's easy to lose interest in something you can't buy.

Apple needs to stop this nonsense of debuting a product and then saying it will be available X months later.

People show as much interest in the iPad as the Apple TV, which Apple never advertises and word of mouth is not working. If Apple is going to keep public interest up, they are going to have to either debut it again or start advertising it.

You mean like they did the iPhone? Debut in January, sold in July? Uh, huh.

You have selective memory. Maybe they should take a page out Microsoft's playbook and debut a product and NEVER make it available?
post #140 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They're also right most of the time, believe it or not.

I'm there a lot, and actually, they're not.
post #141 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDid View Post

I plan to get one for my wife. its better than any netbook on the market, imo.

In what ways is it better than any netbook on the market?

Dell's Mini 10 Netbooks have a choice of 3 different OS's, built-n TV tuners, huge hard drives (or an SSD if you prefer), real HD widescreens, and lots of other stuff. And instead of having 140,000 apps available, they have about 140 million full applications available. A fully tricked out Mini 10 running Ubuntu is comparable in price to the lowest-end 'Pad.

What factors are you using as a basis for your opinion?

iSteve tried to position the iPad by saying that it has to do some things better than a phone and some things better than a laptop. I heard nothing to justify it being better than a laptop - or even a $500 netbook.

If your reasoning is "I just kinda like the form factor. I think I would really like using it." then I have no argument. That's an entirely reasonable position.

But objectively? Is it better than any netbook on the market? Maybe that's not what you meant.

I'm still waiting for a sweet tablet computer to keep on the coffee table, able to be grabbed to surf the 'web or to play media. IMO, the 'Pad doesn't cut the mustard for either of these things (no Flash, wrong aspect ratio, no HD, horrible codec support). I might just break down and get a netbook. But likely, I'll keep waiting until someone comes out with a cool HD Android tablet. Win7 is reputedly ill-suited for touchscreen use, and I'm very disappointed with the iPad.
post #142 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Additionally - do we as users of such devices want to start showing manufacturers in general that we're fine with them taking choice away when we install applications?

This is fine if we're talking about tablet running a beefed up version of iPhone OS. If you feel that a desktop OS should be in a 10" tablet than you haven't realized how poor tablets have been in the last decade trying to shoehorn a desktop OS into a handheld, touchscreen device. Don't confuse a desktop OS with a mobile OS. Apple will not be killing their Mac line. Just check their Mac profit to confirm.

Quote:

Long before anybody realized it:

Apple introduced the iPhone on January 9th, 2007.

On January 10, i.e., the day after, it was reported that Apple had already designed a 3G version that was "in the works" with the FCC.

They also had an SDK in the works. Why some think they only thought it a good idea after the blogosphere cried about it is silly.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #143 of 403
There is so little interest no one is even talking about the ipad any more. Reading google news this morning, nope, nothing. Multiple publishers using an unreleased product as leverage against amazon, nothing to indicate interest to consumers there either. The whole thing just fell off the map. These forums used to fill up with people discussing the pros and cons. Even tekstud realized how right he was and stopped trolling. And the idea of a tablet computer held such promise. Oh well, I'm sure we can all rest assured that Microsoft will pioneer this field and produce something that will be truely uber.
post #144 of 403
Quote:

It's been noted that Flash use on the net has hit its peak, with about 75% of all video using it, but more sites moving away.

Everyone was surprised when YouTube announced that they were re-encoding all their videos so as not to require Flash a couple of years ago. I find more sites that don't require it all the time. Don't be surprised in a few months when Hulu announces the same thing.

Apple is usually ahead of the curve, with some people complaining furiously at first. But then, others follow, and it seems normal. It will happen here as well.
post #145 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah right. If they all said they were going to by an iPad you would be saying its going to be a game changer and create world peace.

No, I'd say they were strangely enough or by sheer coincidence in line with average public sentiment.
post #146 of 403
Revised Edit
post #147 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah right. If they all said they were going to by an iPad you would be saying its going to be a game changer and create world peace.

Well, if they ALL said they would buy it, that would be very interesting, wouldn't it?
post #148 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoue View Post

I don't need a fat iPhone!

No Flash player, locked OS, limited software. No multitasking, please, the year is 2010, not 1980!

Would be a go for me if the tablet would ran on OSX as it would have been a replacement for a laptop when I travel.

Now, I'll need my iPhone, my MacBook Pro AND a Tablet...

No thanks, my bag needs to reduce itself in size, not the other way around.

One post? You wouldn't be an astro-turfer would you?
post #149 of 403
That is such a misleading and useless graph and information source that I am surprised Apple Insider posted it.
post #150 of 403
Quote:

1. It's touch
2. Interface designed by Apple
3. It doesn't look like crap
4. It doesn't run some awful version of Winblows

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, if they ALL said they would buy it, that would be very interesting, wouldn't it?

Hehe, good point, I didn't quite catch that.
post #151 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

There is so little interest no one is even talking about the ipad any more. Reading google news this morning, nope, nothing. Multiple publishers using an unreleased product as leverage against amazon, nothing to indicate interest to consumers there either. The whole thing just fell off the map. These forums used to fill up with people discussing the pros and cons. Even tekstud realized how right he was and stopped trolling. And the idea of a tablet computer held such promise. Oh well, I'm sure we can all rest assured that Microsoft will pioneer this field and produce something that will be truely uber.

You must be on the internet in some alternate universe then.
post #152 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

Lost interest AFTER unveiling? I lost interest WHILE they were unveiling....

no multitask, no flash, no camera, no interest....

No $1000 price tag either.

It's less expensive than an unlocked iPhone yet you expect it to be vastly more capable. I think you need to reset your expectations.
post #153 of 403
I'm buying one regardless. Here's why:

1) Built on the OSX kernel (itself BSD based)
2) Great couch device for web browsing and email.
3) A cheap Mac replacement without having to buy a PC netbook/notebook.
4) Neat interface that we're familiar with.

Things I don't care about.

1) Flash: (buggy, spreads viruses and malware, bloated and a resource hog)
2) Camera (I'm relaxed on my couch and don't want people seeing me in my relaxed state)
3) Mulit-tasking (If you're talking about running multiple apps at once then I must ask why? What do you plan on doing on the iPad that require running multiple apps at once? I can see needing the browser open while creating an iWork document but what else?)
post #154 of 403
Quote:

If MDN had a better forum site to comment/edit/post, AI would go the way Macworld did when they scrapped theirs.

I think you are wimps for not making posters take some responsibility in what they post. I don't suggest that posts be removed because they aren't pro Apple. Outright lies and innuendos, yes. Is it censorship? I guess so if lying denies one from obtaining the truth. And man, this sight just fraughts with lies and liars.

I see you've made 2275 posts to a forum filled with "lies". Why do you bother?
post #155 of 403
Quote:

If MDN had a better forum site to comment/edit/post, AI would go the way Macworld did when they scrapped theirs.

It's too bad that Macworld damaged their forums, but I'm seeing a lot of sites that seem to use the same forum software they are using, and their forums have gone downhill as well. I wonder if it's intentional. I used to post there more frequently. Even Ars has changed the way forums work to the lame front end from the full forum front end. Now, it's often too much trouble to go the the thread in the forum, and so there are often far fewer posts than before.

Quote:
I think you are wimps for not making posters take some responsibility in what they post. I don't suggest that posts be removed because they aren't pro Apple. Outright lies and innuendos, yes. Is it censorship? I guess so if lying denies one from obtaining the truth. And man, this sight just fraughts with lies and liars.

And just how are we supposed to do that? Make everyone post certified correct links to every statement they make? You couldn't do that, nor could I.

If someone says something, we can only do what is done on every other forum, which is to have members correct it. This isn't a gated community, anyone can become a member and post. That's the way it should be.

I don't like what some members post, but as long as they don't get too difficult in their posts to others, there's not much we can, or should do about it. We have no more "lies and liars" than any other fan oriented site that I've seen.
post #156 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by snookie View Post

You must be on the internet in some alternate universe then.

I don't think that post was serious.
post #157 of 403
I dont understand why Apple would leave out a camera at this point, to me, it would make sense. Almost every person today wants a camera attached to whatever device. I LOVE Apple, I LOVE my Iphone....and yes i do want an ipad, but i'm NOT buying one without a camera, without better memory, as far as flash goes, i dont care...but here's my question, why would Apple leave it out, and leave out websites that rely on that? If this device is to be truely revolutionary, then why would it exclude web content that used Flash. Now i know, it's old, macs crash when running it, i get it, i read what Jobs said, but that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the world is using that type, so why would you just leave it out, i know HTML5....but until then....wouldn't that take away from the desire to have an ipad? Also, when i watched the unveiling...i couldn't wait for him to show us ichat....and then he never did. Honestly, i'd put a camera in the thing, add the flash support..for now, nix a non 3G option, lower the price, and push this thing as the next way to communicate and Mass Market the heck out of it ( i know the latter will be done). Until a camera and flash, not buying it....so hopefully, something may be added prior to release of this...but i've come to find out that holding one's breath on these things, just makes one pass out...
post #158 of 403
Quote:

Flash is in trouble and there is a movement away from it that is gaining momentum.

More to the point, to reduce the browsing experience down to whether or not Flash is supported, is to miss Jobs' point entirely. It's about the overall experience of browsing on the iPad that Jobs is talking about. In a perfect world Flash would be supported but just as you can successfully browse with a Touch or iPhone, browsing with the iPad will not be the untenable experience you are suggesting it will be. As the number of Apple portable devices like the Touch, iPhone and iPad, grows, the pressure for sites to opt for a standard other than Flash will as well. Flash is not the only way to go and there are other standards that are universally accepted. Do the math.
post #159 of 403
Quote:

Thats easy. Netbooks are a compromise in every possible way. Run a mainsteam OS but not enough memory or cpu. Too small a keyboard and screen. Poor user experience.
post #160 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandouglas View Post

I dont understand why Apple would leave out a camera at this point, to me, it would make sense. Almost every person today wants a camera attached to whatever device. I LOVE Apple, I LOVE my Iphone....and yes i do want an ipad, but i'm NOT buying one without a camera, without better memory, as far as flash goes, i dont care...but here's my question, why would Apple leave it out, and leave out websites that rely on that? If this device is to be truely revolutionary, then why would it exclude web content that used Flash. Now i know, it's old, macs crash when running it, i get it, i read what Jobs said, but that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the world is using that type, so why would you just leave it out, i know HTML5....but until then....wouldn't that take away from the desire to have an ipad? Also, when i watched the unveiling...i couldn't wait for him to show us ichat....and then he never did. Honestly, i'd put a camera in the thing, add the flash support..for now, nix a non 3G option, lower the price, and push this thing as the next way to communicate and Mass Market the heck out of it ( i know the latter will be done). Until a camera and flash, not buying it....so hopefully, something may be added prior to release of this...but i've come to find out that holding one's breath on these things, just makes one pass out...

I'm assuming that it was a matter of cost, or that they had some problem.

Next revision, I would be surprised if it didn't show up.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Consumers lose interest in iPad after Apple's unveiling - survey