or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Execs say Apple could lower iPad price if market demands it - report

Execs say Apple could lower iPad price if market demands it - report - Page 3

post #81 of 100
[QUOTE=rain;1568276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

Well, as a professional on such matters, I can assure you that the name will hurt sales.
I'm not mocking the name, however, every single person i've talked to about it is. And that sir, is something that can't be ignored.
And if you don't think every single branding company on the planet didn't choke on their coffee and go WTF??? when the name dropped at the keynote...

Personally, i'd love to see the surfPad succeed. I'm excited about designing content for it. It would just be nice to know that there is going to be a market for it outside of homosexuals totting them around in rainbow man-bags in the Bay area.

Well Mr. "Professional on such matters",

1) Most of us pay utterly no attention to marketing rubbish. We purchase functionality.

2) There are over 1 billion pc's in the active population. About 90% of them are Microsoft based products from a raft of companies like HP, Asus, Levono, Acer and Dell. Throw in a handful of Linux based boxes. How would you rate the marketing prowess/branding/public image of all of these companies?

3) Apple is the proof of the above. If marketing mattered, they would have the "about 90%" share.

I think in the population of people more than happy to purchase over a billion products from companies without hardly a notion of marketing, Apple can afford to lose a few sales to people more concerned with a name (do I hear self image, perhaps self-doubt) than with functionality.
post #82 of 100
I really like the design and would probably buy one, but without Flash I would not want it at any price. The Lack of Flash would kill the whole "Greatest Web Experience" thing in my opinion....

I guess I will wait for:

1) Camera

2) Price drop ( or significant memory increase )

3) Flash Support ( Not likely ) or HTML5 is finally standardized and the entire internet switches to it ( several years away )

4) multitasking...

5) Built in USB port ( Come on even Android phones have them )

I would settle for #3 and probably buy one, but I am not holding my breath. Plus there are several Android Tablets the might offer much more bang for the buck well before Apple get the whole package sorted out....
post #83 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Maybe they thought that because they thought we were getting an LED, full OS kicking, multitasking, flash optional, matte screened, mini-MBAir notebook?
and not merely a Maxi-Pad, I mean Pod, I mean iPad.

what's the product differentiation for your above user requirements compared against macbook air or macbook pro. You are very business savvy
post #84 of 100
The next version will have wings.

post #85 of 100
Apple could double the capacity for just a $50 increase and drop the 16GB iPad.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #86 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Well, as a professional on such matters, I can assure you that the name will hurt sales.

Yes, every "professional" I know makes references to homos with rainbow man-bags.

Quote:
I'm not mocking the name, however, every single person i've talked to about it is.

Yes, because calling it the iYuk is both professional AND not mocking the name.

Quote:
And that sir, is something that can't be ignored.

But I suspect that soon you will be by many...

Quote:
And if you don't think every single branding company on the planet didn't choke on their coffee and go WTF??? when the name dropped at the keynote...

Yes, you would know this because you're a "professional".

Quote:
Personally, i'd love to see the surfPad succeed.

Yes, you aren't mocking the name at all.

Quote:
I'm excited about designing content for it.

I've met some really bright elementary school kids that could design content for it.

You probably aren't one of them.
post #87 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Maybe not in North America but in the rest of the world, yes. How do you refer to a pad of paper, by the way? Personally I think you have gotten a little too wrapped up in the whole personal hygiene thing.

This is because the infantile mind is easily fixated on bodily functions.
post #88 of 100
want a "wild" guess?

in september when introducing new iPods Apple will show us their latest update on how well the iPad sold.

"But..." Steve continues "... sales figures showed us that most people want the either the 16gb or the high end model of 64gb. And with many new apps that make the iPad especially useful as a mobile device we think that it should only come with 3G equipped. So as today we build in 3G in all iPad models and offer it to the price of the Wifi only. And to make it even more attractive to our customers we will offer iPad in 2 different versions now. A 32 model starting at 499 and a 64gb version at just 599. All with 3G built right in. We think this is something really attractive for our customers and we want to be aggressive with this during the holiday season... bla bla bla"

Anyway.... to make it short: I think 3G will soon be in all iPads. Offering 6 different models is pretty unlike Apple.
post #89 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

want a "wild" guess?

in september when introducing new iPods Apple will show us their latest update on how well the iPad sold.

"But..." Steve continues "... sales figures showed us that most people want the either the 16gb or the high end model of 64gb. And with many new apps that make the iPad especially useful as a mobile device we think that it should only come with 3G equipped. So as today we build in 3G in all iPad models and offer it to the price of the Wifi only. And to make it even more attractive to our customers we will offer iPad in 2 different versions now. A 32 model starting at 499 and a 64gb version at just 599. All with 3G built right in. We think this is something really attractive for our customers and we want to be aggressive with this during the holiday season... bla bla bla"

Anyway.... to make it short: I think 3G will soon be in all iPads. Offering 6 different models is pretty unlike Apple.

Damn! I can't wait for the iPad, yet I know I should wait!

What should I do?

post #90 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

If Apple can sell the 8GB iPod touch for $199, there is no reason why they can't sell the 16GB iPad at $399 and still make a decent profit.

This is the pricing that we are likely to see by Xmas'10 shopping season:

16GB 32GB 64GB
------ ------- ------
WiFi $399 $499 $599
3G $499 $599 $699

Next-gen flash parts will start shipping in volume some time this summer, so flash price won't be an issue. For the rest of the system, the larger screen & battery cannot account for more than $100 adder over the cost of an iPod touch.

Hellooo...WiFi b/g/and N...it has not just a little better screen, it has a MUCH better screen. Also the iPads software adds value, also the casing made out of aluminium. Also the battery is not just a little larger battery...oh and the iPad has a built in microphone.

299 for a 32 GB ipod touch
add 150,- for the HQ IPS-screen/bigger touchpanel/glass, add 20 for 80211 N, add 10 for a Mic, add 20 for the better speakers, add 40 for aluminium casing, add 65 for better battery.
Total: $604,-
And the 32GB iPad is 599,-
So when you pay a hundred dollars less, you don't get 8GB as it is the case with the iPod Touch, but 16GB.
It all sounds reasonable to me.
 iPad mini 3G 16GB  MacBook Pro Retina 15" (2012) 2,3GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Flash storage
 iPad mini 3G 16GB  MacBook Pro Retina 15" (2012) 2,3GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Flash storage
post #91 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by thartist View Post

What are you talking about? 499 isn't bad? What is good?

Sorry, I was being awfully English in my understatement. $499 is a good deal in my book.

Quote:
Where do you people base these pricing principles from? Can someone please do a cost breakdown here.

Sure, it's here. The breakdown only covers materials though. R&D and support costs are not included.
post #92 of 100
Quote:

I'm not mocking the name, however, every single person i've talked to about it is. And that sir, is something that can't be ignored.

Personally, i'd love to see the surfPad succeed. I'm excited about designing content for it. It would just be nice to know that there is going to be a market for it outside of homosexuals totting them around in rainbow man-bags in the Bay area.

Perhaps somebody can tell me why this posting is allowed.

Reported Feb 9, 2010
post #93 of 100
Yeah, and I remember the early phone introduction of ah whatzit...Skype 'iPhone' they had the name iPhone FIRST !!!!! Everybody was sure this was going to steal Apple's thunder. Yeah and Sarah Palin was the brilliant GOP last minute nominee that was going to upset the election.

Shows where your mind is now doesn't it. But how long can the media dwell on this?? (We may yet be surprised). Two months from now they will be talking about the publishing deals being made. They called it iPad because no matter what they called the thing, people would say 'my new i...ppppp....pad' anyway.

Similar to the iPhone. no matter what they called it people would have called it the iphone. All started with the iPod.

Quote:

I asked my dad if he was interested in one... to which he replied
"No thanks, i'm not menstruating"

Product name is so insanely horrendous, I honestly believe that Apple has gone insane with wealth.
Cutting the price point wouldn't be nearly as effective as cutting the name and calling it something that doesn't make people think of bloody feminine hygiene products.

I've talked to over 20 people about the iYuk and not a single one is considering buying one because of name alone. People don't even care what the tech is or what it can do for them... they can't get past the name.

Seriously... SJ has lost his mind. This product will always be a joke as long as it has a joke name. Zune is looking pretty brilliant right now as a name when you compare.

Bottom line... MILLIONS of people will avoid this product because of the name alone. Don't kid yourself, a pad is something disposable and you throw away. Think hundreds of years of psyche is going to change around the term 'pad' because SJ likes to tote one around? Wrong.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
post #94 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Maybe not in North America but in the rest of the world, yes. How do you refer to a pad of paper, by the way? Personally I think you have gotten a little too wrapped up in the whole personal hygiene thing.

No question, a bit obsessional. This is kind of interesting, especially when you consider the number of people who were totally convinced that it was going to be called iSlate -- which in any language, and by any interpretation, is a piece of rock.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #95 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Perhaps somebody can tell me why this posting is allowed.

Reported Feb 9, 2010

Just glad I don't live there to see it.
post #96 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corax View Post

Hellooo...WiFi b/g/and N...it has not just a little better screen, it has a MUCH better screen. Also the iPads software adds value, also the casing made out of aluminium. Also the battery is not just a little larger battery...oh and the iPad has a built in microphone.

299 for a 32 GB ipod touch
add 150,- for the HQ IPS-screen/bigger touchpanel/glass, add 20 for 80211 N, add 10 for a Mic, add 20 for the better speakers, add 40 for aluminium casing, add 65 for better battery.
Total: $604,-
And the 32GB iPad is 599,-
So when you pay a hundred dollars less, you don't get 8GB as it is the case with the iPod Touch, but 16GB.
It all sounds reasonable to me.

Obviously, you have no clue about component pricing:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...apple_219.html
post #97 of 100
[QUOTE=Eye Forget;1568684]
Quote:

3) Apple is the proof of the above. If marketing mattered, they would have the "about 90%" share.

This is, of course, nonsense. If marketing was the ONLY thing that mattered, Apple might have 90%. But there are a lot more considerations than marketing in buying a computer - many of which work against Apple (price, network effects, Analysts who were snubbed by Jobs and want to stick it to him, and so on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

32gb & 3G at $499 would be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The top end at $829 seems high. Perhaps at that price the all-you-can-eat wireless plan could have been thrown in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I agree with the general consensus. $499 for the basic model isn't bad. The add-ons are the painful part. No way is the top model worth $829.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMike View Post

The (unsubsidized) pricing should be as follows:

iPad wi-fi, 16 GB- $499
iPad wi-fi/3G, 32 GB- $649
iPad wi-fi/3G with camera, 64 GB- $799

Then go build your own. Or don't buy one.

What's with all this whining about price? A month ago, everyone was talking about a base model at $999. Apple came in at half that price. When you compare it to an iPod Touch which can run up to $400 with vastly lower capabilities, it's quite reasonable. If you don't like it, don't buy one - - millions of others will (several countries have already shut down preorders because demand exceeds projected supply).

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminja View Post

I understand that Flash is not perfect, but it is utilized on many websites. In fact, the most creative websites are entirely flash. The IPad is not a phone, it is a computer. At the very least, it needs to be able to see every webpage on the internet as it was intended by its creator. Without this feature, I will use my iphone for quick information and directions when I am away from home and ignore the IPad all together.

That is, of course, absurd. Flash is used on the most creative web sites? Evidence?

Flash is dying. You can already get Youtube without it. Today's Disney announcement suggests that Disney will drop it. New York Times is offering their newspaper without flash on the iPad. Hulu is reported to be dropping it. Heck, Microsoft Mobile won't even be supporting it in the future. And that's all just a start.

There's almost nothing out there that requires Flash and isn't already in transition - except Farmville. If your life revolves around Farmville, buy something else.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #98 of 100
the sanitary pad jokes were old as of 2006 (see MadTV) and just getting older. In a few months, no one is going to give a hoot. It's a juvenile joke that won't last long. So funny that it always seems to be males making the joke, when they most likely don't have much experience with feminine products, but DO have experience with notepads and sketchpads.

Speaking of sketchpads, I've wanted a digital sketchpad for so long now that I'm freaking out to get my hands on one of these. I've never been a early adopter, but I might for this. Which is why I don't understand this article. While it's common guess that the price will drop, whey would Apple leak this?
It just makes me slap myself and remind myself not to be an early adopter. Won't this info actually lead to slower initial sales.

I keep wondering if we're not going to see some more surprises before it actually launches. perhaps a price drop right off the bat?

Also, re flash: I guess I won't mind seeing it go, even though I've spent a lot of time learning actionscript and Flash. But there's that article, somewhere on the interwebs, pointing out that at least one of the sites shown in Apple's video is displaying a flash ad. What do y'all make of that? It's not 'shopped into a still. it's a video. I doubt Apple super imposed the website video. I understand the iphone OS "doesn't allow" runtime environments like Flash. Is this to say a runtime environment CAN'T run on it, or it's not allowed due to performance reasons? If so, Apple is certainly monitoring the chatter on this, knowing that flash video is important to people, don't they have the ability to allow it, and simply have a warning that says something like "If you allow this content to run, you're batteries may drain quickly and your browser may crash. you've been warned"? Clumsy imagingary msg aside, COULDN'T THEY? I don't know the tech side of this, but it seems they could.
post #99 of 100
Should be mentioned, the only likely reason Apple let this information out was to put potential competitors on notice that Apple doesn't plan on giving them any price protection. That may scare some competitors off before they even think of jumping into the tablet computer market, knowing that Apple has the ability squeeze them on price at any time. One thing they aren't doing is telling consumers to wait for a lower price.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #100 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Should be mentioned, the only likely reason Apple let this information out was to put potential competitors on notice that Apple doesn't plan on giving them any price protection. That may scare some competitors off before they even think of jumping into the tablet computer market, knowing that Apple has the ability squeeze them on price at any time. One thing they aren't doing is telling consumers to wait for a lower price.

that's a good point. Though it might have that effect, whether or not they intend that.

What's up with people being surprised that the parts cost roughly half of the selling price? No company would stay in this business if they sold at cost. Looks like a very standard markup to me.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Execs say Apple could lower iPad price if market demands it - report