or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 4th gen Apple iPhone parts show largely unchanged design
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported 4th gen Apple iPhone parts show largely unchanged design

post #1 of 110
Thread Starter 
New pictures claimed to be parts for a prototype fourth-generation iPhone show a front panel slightly taller than the current model, along with some other minor internal design tweaks.

iPhone repair Web site iResQ posted photos of the purported parts of the fourth-generation handset from Apple. The site noted that the alleged front panel is about a quarter-inch longer than its predecessor.

In addition, it has a reflective surface directly above the speaker, which was said to be a likely location for the proximity sensor. That would be in a different location than previous models.

"The LCD appears to be factory glued to the digitizer which is more similar to the first generation iPhones than the iPhone 3G and 3GS," the site said. "The digitizer can be separated from the LCD on the 3G and 3GS models, which should be interesting to all, but for the repair folks like us–this means that the 4G screen repair price will be higher since both parts will have to be replaced at once."

If the parts truly are from a fourth-generation iPhone prototype, they corroborate an earlier alleged next-generation iPhone picture that showed a largely unchanged exterior. Last week, AppleInsider reported that sources said an iPhone prototype was pictured on top of a leaked iPad photograph. The iPhone went largely unnoticed because its design and form factor look essentially identical to the current iPhone 3GS.

Whether the alleged iPhone 4G prototype pictured with the iPad has the same quarter-inch larger screen shown in the supposed prototype parts is impossible to discern.



At a recent Apple company meeting, it was claimed that co-founder Steve Jobs said the next iPhone version will be an "A+" upgrade from the iPhone 3GS. The handset is expected to arrive in June.



People familiar with the matter claim the fourth-generation iPhone will run a version of Apple's custom-built silicon, melding ARM's latest multi-core Cortex reference designs with Imagination's upcoming GPU components. Both will allegedly be on one SoC (system-on-a-chip) package like the new A4 processor found inside the Apple iPad.

Enhanced internals, along with improvements to the iPhone software, are expected to result in improved battery life and speed of the forthcoming handset.
post #2 of 110
T-Mobile 3G bands, please. Thanks.
post #3 of 110
I really hope the info about the chip is true. I skipped the 3GS and hopefully this will be my reward.
post #4 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The LCD appears to be factory glued to the digitizer which is more similar to the first generation iPhones than the iPhone 3G and 3GS," the site said. "The digitizer can be separated from the LCD on the 3G and 3GS models, which should be interesting to all, but for the repair folks like usthis means that the 4G screen repair price will be higher since both parts will have to be replaced at once."

That sucks!

Quote:
If the parts truly are from a fourth-generation iPhone prototype, they corroborate an earlier alleged next-generation iPhone picture that showed a largely unchanged exterior. Last week, AppleInsider reported that sources said an iPhone prototype was pictured on top of a leaked iPad photograph. The iPhone went largely unnoticed because its design and form factor look essentially identical to the current iPhone 3GS.

I guess that's the cross they have to bear for having a touchscreen operated phone versus having actual buttons. I mean, how would a RAZR flip iPhone look? Screen size would definitely be cut in size if they kept the touch navigation concept. If they went half screen, half buttons then they would be RIM. If they designed a slide out QWERTY keyboard then they would be PRE or DROID...

Anybody else have an idea as to what Apple could do to dramatically change the exterior of the iPhone while keeping the large touch screen for the iPhone touch OS, outside of changing the colors of the black plastic and silver bezel, that is?

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #5 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

That sucks!



I guess that's the cross they have to bear for having a touchscreen operated phone versus having actual buttons. I mean, how would a RAZR flip iPhone look? Screen size would definitely be cut in size if they kept the touch navigation concept. If they went half screen, half buttons then they would be RIM. If they designed a slide out QWERTY keyboard then they would be PRE or DROID...

Anybody else have an idea as to what Apple could do to dramatically change the exterior of the iPhone while keeping the large touch screen for the iPhone touch OS, outside of changing the colors of the black plastic and silver bezel, that is?

Adding extra touch controls on the back, like their patent. But then again, I like the iphone as it is, simple, minimalistic. Adding the things you said to the iphone would just make it look like a product from Micro$hit.
post #6 of 110
1. Dual microphone to cancel background noise?

2. Voice input for all text entry fields?

3. Higher resolution screen?

4. Larger screen dimensions?

5. Multi-tasking?

6. User-replaceable battery?

7. Physical keyboard in addition to on-screen keyboard?

8. On any carrier other than the POS from AT&T?

9. Higher resolution camera?

10. Front-facing camera for video chat?

11. Customizable home-screen?

12. AMOLED screen (aka, anything other than the POS original screen)?

13. Being able to navigate with zoom in/out with only one hand?

14. Alternate input for navigation such as optical scrolling?
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #7 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Anybody else have an idea as to what Apple could do to dramatically change the exterior of the iPhone while keeping the large touch screen for the iPhone touch OS, outside of changing the colors of the black plastic and silver bezel, that is?[/SIZE]

Assuming this is real, I'm trying to understand why the phone would have to be .25" taller, but still have the same size screen. I've been thinking that the new model would have a higher rez screen, more in line with what the iPad has, though not that high, of course. Those screens are a fraction of an inch bigger. So what are they fitting in there?
post #8 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

1. Dual microphone to cancel background noise?

2. Voice input for all text entry fields?

3. Higher resolution screen?

4. Larger screen dimensions?

5. Multi-tasking?

6. User-replaceable battery?

7. Physical keyboard in addition to on-screen keyboard?

8. On any carrier other than the POS from AT&T?

9. Higher resolution camera?

10. Front-facing camera for video chat?

11. Customizable home-screen?

12. AMOLED screen (aka, anything other than the POS original screen)?

13. Being able to navigate with zoom in/out with only one hand?

14. Alternate input for navigation such as optical scrolling?


Thank you, that is basically my wish list too.
post #9 of 110
No Verizon, no sale. Period. Don't care about all the reasons it can't be done.

I'll never again stand in line for three hours to buy a smart phone that can't make a telephone call. No matter how much Koolaid I drink while I'm waiting in line.
post #10 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

1. Dual microphone to cancel background noise?

2. Voice input for all text entry fields?

3. Higher resolution screen?

4. Larger screen dimensions?

5. Multi-tasking?

6. User-replaceable battery?

7. Physical keyboard in addition to on-screen keyboard?

8. On any carrier other than the POS from AT&T?

9. Higher resolution camera?

10. Front-facing camera for video chat?

11. Customizable home-screen?

12. AMOLED screen (aka, anything other than the POS original screen)?

13. Being able to navigate with zoom in/out with only one hand?

14. Alternate input for navigation such as optical scrolling?


6, 7, & 12 will never happen. (not with the current implementation of AMOLED anyway)
post #11 of 110
People are asking what you could change? How about the design. Notice how the Zune HD is basically the same design (albeit smaller) but looks way different because its squared up etc..

Just because you have a touch screen and 4 buttons doesn't mean your design has to look the same!

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply
post #12 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

No Verizon, no sale. Period. Don't care about all the reasons it can't be done.

I'll never again stand in line for three hours to buy a smart phone that can't make a telephone call. No matter how much Koolaid I drink while I'm waiting in line.

Well some say there is a 75% chance that AT&T continues to be the sole provider for the iPhone while other rumors indicate that there is an 80% chance that Verizon will get it. So that means there is a 160% chance that something is going to happen that 50% of people are going to be pissed about 100% of the time.
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
"One who forms a judgement on any point but cannot explain it clearly, might as well never have thought at all on the subject." Pericles
Reply
post #13 of 110
I think I will be disappointed if Apple didn't introduce a new design this time. The current one is starting to get old, but most importantly, it looks like they have failed to address the cracking issues some people are experiencing.

I personally would hope the new one will take design clues from the iPad. I'm still loving the aluminum back of my 2G iPhone!
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
Reply
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
Reply
post #14 of 110
I doubt it. I don't think Apple would like the idea of changing the iPhone's form factor a little. If it's not a significant departure, I don't think it'd be worth the annoyance. Unless it was required for some insane breakthrough, like double battery life, 802.11n, quad-core processing, flash, or copy and paste.

Seriously, though. Apple's kind of an all-or-nothing sort of a company. They're not going to change the iPhone "a little" two years in a row.
post #15 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

1. Dual microphone to cancel background noise?

2. Voice input for all text entry fields?

3. Higher resolution screen?

4. Larger screen dimensions?

5. Multi-tasking?

6. User-replaceable battery?

7. Physical keyboard in addition to on-screen keyboard?

8. On any carrier other than the POS from AT&T?

9. Higher resolution camera?

10. Front-facing camera for video chat?

11. Customizable home-screen?

12. AMOLED screen (aka, anything other than the POS original screen)?

13. Being able to navigate with zoom in/out with only one hand?

14. Alternate input for navigation such as optical scrolling?

If larger screen dimensions makes the phone bigger, than that's a no-go. Like someone else commented, 6,7 & 12 isn't going to happen. Hopefully, we'll see the iPhone on more than one carrier this summer (but I'm not holding my breath).
post #16 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Assuming this is real, I'm trying to understand why the phone would have to be .25" taller, but still have the same size screen. I've been thinking that the new model would have a higher rez screen, more in line with what the iPad has, though not that high, of course. Those screens are a fraction of an inch bigger. So what are they fitting in there?

Front-facing camera, CDMA/CDMA2000 baseband processor and all required radios, maybe the T-Mobile 1700Mhz radio? I'm not buying it. I'm saying it's a Chinese knock off at this point. Is the Home Button space bigger or this an optical illusion?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

I think I will be disappointed if Apple didn't introduce a new design this time. The current one is starting to get old, but most importantly, it looks like they have failed to address the cracking issues some people are experiencing.

I personally would hope the new one will take design clues from the iPad. I'm still loving the aluminum back of my 2G iPhone!

I haven't heard anything about cracking issues since the very early days. We have four, and all are fine. Can you site something that shows this is a current, serious issue?

I don't want to see a new design just for the sake of making a few people happy. The current one is just fine, and will continue to fit thousands of devices.
post #18 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Front-facing camera, CDMA/CDMA2000 baseband processor and all required radios, maybe the T-Mobile 1700Mhz radio? I'm not buying it. I'm saying it's a Chinese knock off at this point. Is the Home Button space bigger or this an optical illusion?

There's nothing in the hole, so it's a bright white from the surface beneath. White looks bigger than black.
post #19 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

1. Dual microphone to cancel background noise?

2. Voice input for all text entry fields?

3. Higher resolution screen?

4. Larger screen dimensions?

5. Multi-tasking?

6. User-replaceable battery?

7. Physical keyboard in addition to on-screen keyboard?

8. On any carrier other than the POS from AT&T?

9. Higher resolution camera?

10. Front-facing camera for video chat?

11. Customizable home-screen?

12. AMOLED screen (aka, anything other than the POS original screen)?

13. Being able to navigate with zoom in/out with only one hand?

14. Alternate input for navigation such as optical scrolling?

1. Would be interesting and good if it worked well.

2. Useful feature, however I probably wouldn't use it. Most people wouldn't want to talk out loud in public what they are typing.

3. Given to be good.

4. Only if the phone doesn't get too much larger.

5. So long as battery life isn't affected.

6. Do not care for it, has always made phones seem flimsy to me.

7. See #6 above. Plus I much prefer on-screen entry.

8. Would be good although I probably wouldn't switch away from AT&T.

9. Given. Sounds like they might have 5.1 for next iteration.

10. I really really have wanted this. The ability to have an on-demand video chat with the person that I'm calling (who also has an iphone).

11. Would be nice. Doubt it's happening though.

12. I still am not sold on AMOLED. It sounds really expensive for not giving that much (and having other drawbacks compared to LED LCD)

13. I've been able to do that for a while... even while holding the phone with that hand.

14. Not sure what you mean, but it does sound interesting.
post #20 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

1. Dual microphone to cancel background noise?

And copying google ? Not sure if they are going to do that, though the idea sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

3. Higher resolution screen?

What for ? You would have to be very close to the screen to see the difference, and it would require all the apps to be redone as they are for a fixed screen size. Furthermore you would need much more horsepower to have a responsive UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

4. Larger screen dimensions?

Isn't 3.5" rather handy ? What dimensions would you want ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

5. Multi-tasking?

Wait for OS 4.0, I think they will come up with a good solution to enable limited background tasks. Though I don't need it, I can understand Pandora users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

6. User-replaceable battery?

Never gonna happen, and I like it that way. Phones with removable batteries are a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

7. Physical keyboard in addition to on-screen keyboard?

You are kidding, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

10. Front-facing camera for video chat?

Is this to just be cool or do you actually want to use it ? By the way, how much do you think the person with whom you speak will appreciate all the noise from your video feed ? unless the phone is docked or on something that doesn't move, your face will be jumping all over the place on the receivers screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

11. Customizable home-screen?

This one sounds good, and I think they should rethink the whole home-screen idea, as there are too many apps to easily navigate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

12. AMOLED screen (aka, anything other than the POS original screen)?

Though I like the idea about the OLED technology, I am not sure if it is good enough to be used for this kind of device yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

13. Being able to navigate with zoom in/out with only one hand?

How would you like to do that ? that is like the scrolling on the touchpads, most notebooks have a scrolling zone, and it is just annoying when you don't intend to use it. I like the whole two finger scroll system.
The point here is that I cannot see any way in which you could implement single handed zooming without annoying side effects.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #21 of 110
I like the current design just fine: boost the speed/storage and add a video chat camera and Im sold!

But photos that could be some random iPhone clone (of which there are many), showing just the faceplate (the part that has been the essentially the same in ALL of Apples touch products), dont tell me much.
post #22 of 110
If they go back to the glued screen system that will not only make the screen more expensive to replace (as pointed out in a previous post) but also makes it a bit more vulnerable to damage.

One morning while running errands I left my phone charging in the car. It was left for about three hours in the car and the outside temperatures climbed from around 75 degrees F to about 92. With the combined heat from the ambient air and charging it became so hot I could barely hold it. The end result was that I caused the screen to delaminate in one corner. It looks like rows of stuck pixels but is actually caused from the delimitation. I am just a bit disappointed that Apple went back to that process.

As to folks complaining about the screen, what is so bad about the current ones? Although I must admit, for whatever reason, the one on my wife's 1st generation 4gb (bought on clearance after Apple discontinued it) has the brightest, clearest, and most vibrant color screen of any iphone I have handled including the 3gs. Go figure.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #23 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

1. Dual microphone to cancel background noise?

2. Voice input for all text entry fields?

3. Higher resolution screen?

4. Larger screen dimensions?

5. Multi-tasking?

6. User-replaceable battery?

7. Physical keyboard in addition to on-screen keyboard?

8. On any carrier other than the POS from AT&T?

9. Higher resolution camera?

10. Front-facing camera for video chat?

11. Customizable home-screen?

12. AMOLED screen (aka, anything other than the POS original screen)?

13. Being able to navigate with zoom in/out with only one hand?

14. Alternate input for navigation such as optical scrolling?

LOL - except for #7 & #10 it sounds like you're describing my new Nexus One.
post #24 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Well some say there is a 75% chance that AT&T continues to be the sole provider for the iPhone while other rumors indicate that there is an 80% chance that Verizon will get it. So that means there is a 160% chance that something is going to happen that 50% of people are going to be pissed about 100% of the time.

Bravo on the math. Well done!
post #25 of 110
It amazes me when everyone is so against or don't understand video calling. The fact is that most 3G phones in Europe have it, so its a competitive feature. It was also one of the first selling points of 3G and having used it I can say it works quite well.

Multimedia was always the point of 3G. It was to allow you to now access video on your device (YouTube wasn't big yet, but TV clips etc..) In addition all the phone came out with the front facing camera that allowed video calling. I used it a few times, especially since my carrier in Europe at the time offered a promotion for free video calls in order to push 3G pickup. That was back in 2005 and it worked surprisingly well. So I can't imagine Apple would have that much of a hard time to include iChat and have it work according to the desktop version with the addition of perhaps video calling numbers where carriers supported it (i.e. all of europe).

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply
post #26 of 110
That new screen bezel looks to make the iPhone 4G have about the same screen size as a Nexus One (3.7"). I was hoping to get a 4.2 or 4.3 out of Apple next, since some of the Android device makers are rumored to be working on devices with that size.
post #27 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

It amazes me when everyone is so against or don't understand video calling. The fact is that most 3G phones in Europe have it, so its a competitive feature. It was also one of the first selling points of 3G and having used it I can say it works quite well.

I agree that at some point I have seen it in a couple of TV ads, but it never took of. I have never heard of anybody doing a video call from a mobile phone.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #28 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

I agree that at some point I have seen it in a couple of TV ads, but it never took of. I have never heard of anybody doing a video call from a mobile phone.

It's a feature without a market. That's the problem with a lot of "features". They're there, but people don't use them. So do they matter? Not really, except to a very few.
post #29 of 110
That's the problem with the iPhone in that the looks won't ever change. It is basically a screen. Apple does not want to distract from the screen so they'll design out anything that does. Thankfully the case manufacturers make the iPhone/iPod Touch fun to use. I'd still like to see a flip version of the iPhone.
post #30 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarina View Post

1. Would be interesting and good if it worked well.

2. Useful feature, however I probably wouldn't use it. Most people wouldn't want to talk out loud in public what they are typing.

3. Given to be good.

4. Only if the phone doesn't get too much larger.

5. So long as battery life isn't affected.

6. Do not care for it, has always made phones seem flimsy to me.

7. See #6 above. Plus I much prefer on-screen entry.

8. Would be good although I probably wouldn't switch away from AT&T.

9. Given. Sounds like they might have 5.1 for next iteration.

10. I really really have wanted this. The ability to have an on-demand video chat with the person that I'm calling (who also has an iphone).

11. Would be nice. Doubt it's happening though.

12. I still am not sold on AMOLED. It sounds really expensive for not giving that much (and having other drawbacks compared to LED LCD)

13. I've been able to do that for a while... even while holding the phone with that hand.

14. Not sure what you mean, but it does sound interesting.

I agree with you on all points.

I would hate to have flimsy battery cover like the other phones. Same goes for physical keyboard...I can type faster on my iphone than on blackberry or mogul anyway.

One thing I would like in addition to some of the features listed above is microSD port. Probably won't happen, though - it would cut into the pricing of the higher capacity models.
post #31 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That's the problem with the iPhone in that the looks won't ever change. It is basically a screen. Apple does not want to distract from the screen so they'll design out anything that does. Thankfully the case manufacturers make the iPhone/iPod Touch fun to use. I'd still like to see a flip version of the iPhone.

That's not a problem, it's a virtue. No reason to change it until they come up with something that requires the change. There's the same complaint about the G5 Powermac to the new Mac Pro. The case has been just dandy. Why change it? Just to be different?
post #32 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

It amazes me when everyone is so against or don't understand video calling. The fact is that most 3G phones in Europe have it, so its a competitive feature. It was also one of the first selling points of 3G and having used it I can say it works quite well.

Multimedia was always the point of 3G. It was to allow you to now access video on your device (YouTube wasn't big yet, but TV clips etc..) In addition all the phone came out with the front facing camera that allowed video calling. I used it a few times, especially since my carrier in Europe at the time offered a promotion for free video calls in order to push 3G pickup. That was back in 2005 and it worked surprisingly well. So I can't imagine Apple would have that much of a hard time to include iChat and have it work according to the desktop version with the addition of perhaps video calling numbers where carriers supported it (i.e. all of europe).

I have no real opinion on the usefulness of doing video calls from your phone, hell I am so ugly no one will video chat with me unless they have my credit card number first.
I think the reality is that you are forgetting that Apple is a global company but it is still somewhat U.S. centric. In all probability Apple will add a front facing camera but I suspect it will not be until The Deathstar improves their network. Look at how much flak Apple took after allowing something as simple as tethering in all the other markets except for the U.S. And if they did the front facing camera for video chats but limited it to wifi in the us what exactly would be the point? The added cost and complexity to add this to phone while limiting its use to wifi is probably going to limit its appeal (imho). The vast majority of the time that I am on wifi I am at home or work and then I would use my macbook. And if I am in public using free wifi such as in a restaurant or bar I really don't see this as being a activity I want to try. Again this is simply my opinion but maybe others will prove me wrong.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #33 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's a feature without a market. That's the problem with a lot of "features". They're there, but people don't use them. So do they matter? Not really, except to a very few.

It's a good thing that Apple installed cameras in every single iMac and Macbook/Macbook Pro, and put in the capability for video chat right into iChat . . . . . . .
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #34 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

It's a good thing that Apple installed cameras in every single iMac and Macbook/Macbook Pro, and put in the capability for video chat right into iChat . . . . . . .

And just how often are they being used for that purpose? Not too often according to everyone I ask. I doubt the average is far off from that.

It's a fun feature in the beginning. Then after a while, it wears off.
post #35 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And just how often are they being used for that purpose? Not too often according to everyone I ask. I doubt the average is far off from that.

It's a fun feature in the beginning. Then after a while, it wears off.

The point is that the feature is there if you need it. If Apple thought it a stupid feature, they wouldn't have made it default.


At least you didn't say that Apple made a "feature" by not including it on the iPhone, which is what so many people on this forum say.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Reply
post #36 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The point is that the feature is there if you need it. If Apple thought it a stupid feature, they wouldn't have made it default.


At least you didn't say that Apple made a "feature" by not including it on the iPhone, which is what so many people on this forum say.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be there. I'm saying that some features that seem to be a good idea aren't always. Like the video conferencing the two guys earlier mentioned. One said he tried it a few times because of some deal, and the other said that it never caught on. That's what I'm seeing with video on Apple's products too. A few people will love it, a bunch of others will try it for a while, then drop it, and the majority won't even bother. It's too much trouble, requires a fast, reliable connection, and people don't usually want to have others see them on a call.

THe question really is, what do you gain by seeing the person you're talking to most of the time? I don't see any. Maybe someday it will become normal, but I'm willing to bet that will be a while off.
post #37 of 110
Maybe it's taller but not nearly as thick. We know Apple likes svelte devices.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 110
Need my iPhone to do everything. For starters: remote control my tv, open my garage, pay for things like gas food, camera can be used as a scanner, or other stuff- like a digital swiss army knife.
post #39 of 110
This will not be the actual phone. They're only testing the guts of the hardware. The actual cover will not be shown until the release. Apple typically tests their hardware in nono finalized form so people won't know what it looks like. What better form to test it on then the old one?
post #40 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I haven't heard anything about cracking issues since the very early days. We have four, and all are fine. Can you site something that shows this is a current, serious issue?.

Well, I haven't read any English forum threads about the issue. There are a couple of multi-page threads concerning both 3G and 3GS on Finland's largest Apple forum, though I wouldn't call it a serious or widespread issue with this little evidence. It just seems to me that it's not totally fixed.

The thread, you might get something out of it with a translator: http://hopeinenomena.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=127366

But as always, we have to remember that the people who have something to complain about are always the loudest ones.
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
Reply
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 4th gen Apple iPhone parts show largely unchanged design