or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone OS 3.1.3 sees 14% adoption in 6 days, new hack released

iPhone OS 3.1.3 sees 14% adoption in 6 days, new hack released

post #1 of 66
A new study has found that 14 percent of iPhone users upgraded to iPhone OS 3.1.3 in less than a week of availability, while a new hack to exploit Apple's latest update has been released.

Released last Tuesday, iPhone OS 3.1.3 was a minor update, bringing a battery reporting fix, fixing an issue where third-party applications would not launch, and patching a number of security holes. In its first six days of release, an estimated 14 percent of users opted to upgrade, mobile ad group Medialets reported Monday.

As of Feb. 6, most iPhone users -- 72.3 percent -- were still running iPhone OS 3.1.2, while 3.1.1 has 0.8 percent of users, and 3.1.0 has 4.6 percent. About 13 percent of total users are running a version prior to 3.1.2.

The company also noted that it saw a 13 percent drop in installs of 3.1.2, meaning 87 percent of the upgrades to iPhone OS 3.1.3 came from users who were already running the latest version of the mobile operating system.

The statistics were obtained through developers' applications the service tracks through the App Store.

Following the release of the latest iPhone OS upgrade, the Dev Team, which is the leading group of hackers that work to "jailbreak" the iPhone and allow users to run unauthorized code, released their latest hacking tool. Dubbed PwnageTool 3.1.5, the Mac OS X software allows users to upgrade to Apple's latest release while preserving a jailbreak and carrier unlock.

Last summer, the first jailbreaking tool for the iPhone 3GS was released. Apple later quietly updated the iPhone 3GS to thwart potential hackers, but a workaround was discovered in November.

Last year, Apple posted a job listing to hire a new iPhone OS security manager to help lock down its mobile operating system. While jailbreaking an iPhone can allow unauthorized capabilities such as multitasking and custom wallpapers, it can also be used to pirate software from the App Store.
post #2 of 66
The scary thing is coming across so many people that have never updated any iPhone they have since they bought it. I have found many, especially PC users.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #3 of 66
My desk is such a mess, I don't know where my sync cable is \
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #4 of 66
The auto update only run like once a month (I think), it'll take a while for everyone to know about the upgrade.
post #5 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

The auto update only run like once a month (I think), it'll take a while for everyone to know about the upgrade.

I plugged my iPhone into my iMac to sync some stuff and it instantly alerted me of the available update.
post #6 of 66
The Great iPhone/iPod/iPad Fragmentation continues . . . .
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #7 of 66
1) I hope the iPod Touch gets on the free iPhone OS update path. I think it would be financially beneficial as the update allows for newer apps to be bought and less time supporting older OSes.

2) With this update you no longer need to jailbreak or unlock to enable tethering.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

My desk is such a mess, I don't know where my sync cable is \

Been there done that. It would be nice if this could be done via wifi too.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I hope the iPod Touch gets on the free iPhone OS update path. I think it would be financially beneficial as the update allows for newer apps to be bought and less time supporting older OSes.

2) With this update you no longer need to jailbreak or unlock to enable tethering.

I totally missed the tethering ability! Quick idiots 'how to' guide please.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #10 of 66
With every second word in the jailbreak-related portion of the article being "hacker", "exploit" or "unauthorized", I was 100% sure Dan Dilger had written it. I was shocked to see he got Katie Marsal doing it too, unless she happens to be "Prince McLean"'s sister.
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Been there done that. It would be nice if this could be done via wifi too.

Yeah that would be nice. I had thought that the iPad would at least have wireless sync, but I guess not. Oh well. I have a sync cable in my truck (for charging it) if I really want to install the update, but I should really just clean my desk up.
post #12 of 66
How does one avoid updating?

The process is so easy and painless. I was alerted as soon as I plugged my iPhone in. Is there a large group of people who don't sync their iPhone with their PC?
post #13 of 66
Quote:

I totally missed the tethering ability! Quick idiots 'how to' guide please.

Go to help.benm.at on your iPhone. However, as stated when you go to the site on your iPhone some people are having a problem with their AT&T profile. I'm one of them. They're working on it. Note that the site isn' the same if you access from Mac OS X.
post #14 of 66
I missed the multitasking updater.
Oh that's not until June?????
post #15 of 66
In fact this update seems to result in a slightly better iPhone experience. It makes me wonder if other things where fixed. So far it seems to be a smart reccomendation.

I did get an unusual hang on one of the virtual keyboards in Safari but I don't know if it is a chronic problem.

In any event here is to Apple moving forward with iPhone OS.
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Huh?

It's just an update to the same OS.
post #17 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

With every second word in the jailbreak-related portion of the article being "hacker", "exploit" or "unauthorized", I was 100% sure Dan Dilger had written it. I was shocked to see he got Katie Marsal doing it too, unless she happens to be "Prince McLean"'s sister.

What exactly is wrong with such wording?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

As designed by Apple, the iPhone OS ensures that the iPhone and iPod touch operate reliably. Some customers have not understood the risks of installing software that makes unauthorized modifications to the iPhone OS ("jailbreaking") on their iPhone or iPod touch. Customers who have installed software that makes these modifications have encountered numerous problems in the operation of their hacked iPhone or iPod touch. . . .

Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks the iPhone OS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of the iPhone OS is a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software.
post #18 of 66
My wife is one of those (all too common) people that NEVER plugs her iPhone into her computer. Unless I tell her that an update is available AND plug the thing in myself, she isn't updating.
post #19 of 66
As the dev team say: theres no reason to update to 3.1.3. And they are so correct.

Quote:

The scary thing is coming across so many people that have never updated any iPhone they have since they bought it. I have found many, especially PC users.

Even if that was true, I can understand them. You can only update in iTunes and that thing is a dirty pig on windows; it is a horrible experience.
post #20 of 66
I still haven't updated mine to 3.1.3.
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

If you're going to attempt to slam Dilger, then please get it right. He hammers Microsoft and all pundits who trash Apple. Hackers, exploiters and unauthorized, not so much.
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

OK...... now that you've woken up and said the same thing for the 394th time, you can go back to sleep! See you soon with your next Fragmentation post.
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I missed the multitasking updater.
Oh that's not until June?????

Please go away. And, this time, I hope you will consider not coming back. Ever.

(One can wish, no?).
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Huh?

It's just an update to the same OS.

I believe he thinks different screen sizes, different features (camera, 3G), different performances (3G, 3Gs, iPad) and different OS versions.

Haven't you said something like that regarding Android screen sizes, OS versions..? Back at ya!
post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please go away. And, this time, I hope you will consider not coming back. Ever.

(One can wish, no?).

Yup- I used to wish for the world's smallest Mac.
post #26 of 66
Did the jailbreak happen a bit faster this time? I'll let the jailbreak to hand out there for a week before I jump on this, but it does not look like a big improvement so I may hold off till 3.1.4.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #27 of 66
Quote:

The second coming of TEKSTUD means the armage-forum.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

How does one avoid updating?

The process is so easy and painless. I was alerted as soon as I plugged my iPhone in. Is there a large group of people who don't sync their iPhone with their PC?

I have an exchange server and once I filled my iPhone up, I have not seen any good reason to sync. Anyone who doesn't need to sync contacts and calendar has a vastly smaller reason to ever bother syncing.
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I believe he thinks different screen sizes, different features (camera, 3G), different performances (3G, 3Gs, iPad) and different OS versions.

Haven't you said something like that regarding Android screen sizes, OS versions..? Back at ya!

There is no significant iPhone fragmentation. Which is why you don't actually hear about it.
post #30 of 66
Quote:

I have to admit: I do like your self-deprecating sense of humor.

But, c'mon.....
post #31 of 66
I updated my iPod Touch last week.

Straight away my search results (driving directions) in maps.google.com won't scroll. I get the first couple of lines after doing my search and no ability to scroll down to the rest of the directions. I don't know how many sites are affected by this, but i'm broken in safari for my most common use, driving directions. I really don't know if this is bad code at google that has fallen out of grace with safari or not, just sharing the pain.

I see others had this problem previous to this update.. but it's new to me.

Other than that one little issue everything has been working fine. Like the article said... minor update.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I have an exchange server and once I filled my iPhone up, I have not seen any good reason to sync. Anyone who doesn't need to sync contacts and calendar has a vastly smaller reason to ever bother syncing.

Unfortunately the only way to get podcasts (automatically anyway) is via USB

I *really* hope Apple adds wi-fi sync for v4...
post #33 of 66
Quote:

I have to admit: I do like your self-deprecating sense of humor.

But, c'mon.....

Ok- but you can't take me too seriously, you know. BTW-on another topic you'll be please to know I have to admit how really wrong I was about the Magic Mouse but that's another story.
BTW- CNBC has "Planet of the APPs", "Welcome to Macintosh" and ""MacHeads" all on cable tonight. I'm loving it.
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

My wife is one of those (all too common) people that NEVER plugs her iPhone into her computer. Unless I tell her that an update is available AND plug the thing in myself, she isn't updating.

my wife's 3G is still on 3. she uses maybe 10MB a month and i told her i might just sell her 3G and get her a Touch
post #35 of 66
Quote:

I have to admit how really wrong I was about the Magic Mouse ....

Glad to hear that. I think MM is a GREAT product myself. (But what do I know, I love @TV too).

But you might want to consider the possibility that you've pissed off Ireland.
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheadon View Post

I updated my iPod Touch last week.

Straight away my search results (driving directions) in maps.google.com won't scroll. I get the first couple of lines after doing my search and no ability to scroll down to the rest of the directions. I don't know how many sites are affected by this, but i'm broken in safari for my most common use, driving directions. I really don't know if this is bad code at google that has fallen out of grace with safari or not, just sharing the pain.

I see others had this problem previous to this update.. but it's new to me.

Other than that one little issue everything has been working fine. Like the article said... minor update.

It's a 0.0.1 bug fix and tweaking update, but that doesn't mean issues can't happen. I'd backup your device then restore it. These problems typically go away with a reinstall, they your noted they aren't common to a specific version.
post #37 of 66
Quote:

LOL I was essentially thinking the same thing: one MM hater down, one to go.
post #38 of 66
Quote:

Glad to hear that. I think MM is a GREAT product myself. (But what do I know, I love @TV too).

Sshh not too loud! We don't want him ....
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Unfortunately the only way to get podcasts (automatically anyway) is via USB

I *really* hope Apple adds wi-fi sync for v4...

This is true. And I do listen to a lot of podcasts. I get them one at a time, 13 per day from my show, from the iTunes store on the iPhone.

That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that to delete a single episode requires three motions - a slide, a tap, and a confirmation. Like the old method for deleting email before they allowed batch deletion. I would REALLY love to know why they won't give podcast listeners that same capability.
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There is no significant iPhone fragmentation. Which is why you don't actually hear about it.

Honestly, I haven't heard much about Android segmentation either... or, to rephrase it, I've heard more about Android segmentation from you than from everybody else.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone OS 3.1.3 sees 14% adoption in 6 days, new hack released