or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why are liberals so condescending?

Why are liberals so condescending? - Page 9

post #321 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You've just labeled your own actions. Fantastic!

Exactly my point. Um... you don't really... grasp... the concept of irony, do you?
post #322 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Exactly my point. Um... you don't really... grasp... the concept of irony, do you?

The irony really is stupendous.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #323 of 334
I have to wonder sometimes if the condescending attitude isn't intentional. Is it just in their nature?

I mean, I know they revile humanity as a plague - a vile parasite that is devouring the earth and everything on it and will ultimately destroy it unless a few "enlightened" individuals are allowed control everything (the economy, governments, etc.), to exterminate surplus population at will and force the majority of us to continue to live in poverty "for our own good and the good of the planet" whilst enjoying the very best of everything themselves and claiming they are exempt from the rules and restrictions that must be placed on everyone else for whatever reason.

But really, whatever happened to good old common courtesy?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #324 of 334
I recall many Americans being labelled as "un-American" because they didn't support the GW & Cronies, Inc.™ war in Iraq.

I also recall large portions of the US population falling outside of something called "Real America".

I also recall signs suggesting the US is a "White Christian Nation", again alienating large portions of the population.

There are plenty of other examples.

And some people are worried that the liberals are condescending?

That makes me laugh.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #325 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I recall many Americans being labelled as "un-American" because they didn't support the GW & Cronies, Inc. war in Iraq.

I also recall large portions of the US population falling outside of something called "Real America".

I also recall signs suggesting the US is a "White Christian Nation", again alienating large portions of the population.

There are plenty of other examples.

And some people are worried that the liberals are condescending?

That makes me laugh.

Interesting that it makes you laugh. I find it quite repugnant.

post #326 of 334
GOPpers also have a tendency to invoke God at every turn.

"God will make me stronger." So, forget what I did and continue to support me because I'm actually a cool guy. Just ask my babe on the hiking trail...

Sara is now claiming that God wrote on his hands too, so "I'm in good company."

Among many others.

post #327 of 334
Quote:

GOPpers also have a tendency to invoke God at every turn.

"God will make me stronger." So, forget what I did and continue to support me because I'm actually a cool guy. Just ask my babe on the hiking trail...

Among many others.

She is forgetting that God is an atheist without a physical body.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #328 of 334
Quote:

When did God do this? I must have missed that in my theological exegesis..oh wait, it's just another raving fundie-loony....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #329 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

When did God do this? I must have missed that in my theological exegesis..oh wait, it's just another raving fundie-loony....

http://www.torontosun.com/news/weird.../13155416.html

Quote:
Speaking to a crowd of supporters in Ohio over the weekend about her hand notes that were discovered during a speech to the U.S. Tea Party convention last month, Palin referred to a Bible verse a supporter had sent her.

Isaiah 49:16 reads: "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."

"Hey, if it was good enough for God, scribbling on the palm of his hand, it's good enough for me, for us, she said to the audience of a pro-life fundraiser. In that passage he says, 'I wrote your name on the palm of my hand to remember you.' And I'm like, 'OK, I'm in good company.'"

A stretch, yes. A loony. Hardly. If anything, she was making a joke to lighten things up. But I know that does not work for some of you...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #330 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

http://www.torontosun.com/news/weird.../13155416.html

A stretch, yes. A loony. Hardly. If anything, she was making a joke to lighten things up. But I know that does not work for some of you...

Doesn't Judaism have strict injunctions against ascribing anthropomorphic characteristics to God?

It really takes something to steal someone else's religion, thousands of years after the fact and THEN actually twist it in on itself so it means something the original you stole it from would find it blasphemous...

It's utterly unbelievable...
post #331 of 334
Quote:

Doesn't Judaism have strict injunctions against ascribing anthropomorphic characteristics to God?

It really takes something to steal someone else's religion, thousands of years after the fact and THEN actually twist it in on itself so it means something the original you stole it from would find it blasphemous...

It's utterly unbelievable...

Steal a religion? How does one do that exactly?

As for the anthropomorphic question, whether or not this is true (and not being a scholar of Judaism I cannot say), they were called on their overzealous rules and regulations. To say that God has hands would follow us being made in his image. The Bible, both Old and New Testament speak to of God having physical characteristics of holding us in his hands in multiple places. So no, I do not accept your interpretation of what is blasphemous.

What is unbelievable is that you find this worthy of getting worked up over. If she had claimed that God himself wrote it on her hand, perhaps....
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #332 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Steal a religion? How does one do that exactly?

In Christianity's case I suppose it merely co-opts the Holy Scriptures of a religion thousands of years older and lumps them together with their own new ones and gives the whole thing a new name after changing bits it doesn't like.

Quote:
As for the anthropomorphic question, whether or not this is true (and not being a scholar of Judaism I cannot say), they were called on their overzealous rules and regulations. To say that God has hands would follow us being made in his image. The Bible, both Old and New Testament speak to of God having physical characteristics of holding us in his hands in multiple places. So no, I do not accept your interpretation of what is blasphemous.

You might want to try veering away from the literal too while you are about it.

I have heard it said that the literalist mindset is a rather limited one. The Taleban would certainly bear that out and their fundie-Xian counterparts don't do much better.

Quote:
What is unbelievable is that you find this worthy of getting worked up over. If she had claimed that God himself wrote it on her hand, perhaps....

Not really worked up. Palin is not worth it it's true....what she stands for IS though I think...bit like when they had segregation...people couldn't see what people were 'worked up over' then either...happens now today too now I come to think of it with torture and 'frat-house hazing' which brings us full circle as that is pretty much the sort of view Palin has - with or without bring God into it (which, you're right, is a blasphemy when speaking of her ilk).
post #333 of 334
Quote:

In Christianity's case I suppose it merely co-opts the Holy Scriptures of a religion thousands of years older and lumps them together with their own new ones and gives the whole thing a new name after changing bits it doesn't like.

However since you have "the right view" we should all believe as you do...

Quote:
You might want to try veering away from the literal too while you are about it.

I have heard it said that the literalist mindset is a rather limited one. The Taleban would certainly bear that out and their fundie-Xian counterparts don't do much better.

Talk about missing the point... If that is where you get to after this you are bent on the outcome regardless...

Quote:
Not really worked up. Palin is not worth it it's true....what she stands for IS though I think...bit like when they had segregation...people couldn't see what people were 'worked up over' then either...happens now today too now I come to think of it with torture and 'frat-house hazing' which brings us full circle as that is pretty much the sort of view Palin has - with or without bring God into it (which, you're right, is a blasphemy when speaking of her ilk).

Ok, how you twist your way through that and feel like you made a coherent argument on the other side is beyond me. You are now making the argument it seems that Palin writing on her hand, and claiming that God did is the same as holding slaves, torture, hazing and more. Then you claim to know what Palin truly believes on these issues and based on your insight into her mind you know that her talking about God is blasphemy...

You really think well of yourself to ascribe that level of knowledge based on the limited (none) contact you have had with a person that you have only read about...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #334 of 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

I think the best way to handle this is just make everyone aware that this Mumbo Jumbo guy has the same IP address as Hassan i Sabbah, who was banned.

Why was Hassan i Sabbah banned?

Mumbo Jumbo joined 05-31-2002

Hassan i Sabbah (banned) joined 06-13-2002

Are they necessarily the same persons? Just share the same computer.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why are liberals so condescending?