or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone OS 3.2 SDK for iPad

Apple releases iPhone OS 3.2 SDK for iPad

post #1 of 43
Apple has officially released the new software development kit for iPhone OS 3.2, which enables third party developers to begin creating new apps that take advantage of new features of the iPad.

Existing members of Apple's iPhone Developer Program can login and download the new SDK, which includes an iPad simulator for testing new apps under development.

The site also presents an iPad Programming Guide that "introduces new features available for iPad and how to implement those features in your applications," as well as new iPad Human Interface Guidelines.

Apple says the new user interface guidelines outline "how to effectively use the new views and controls available to you to deliver unforgettable applications to your customers."

The SDK also includes new example code projects that "provide an example of how to accomplish a task for a specific technology."

Apple is also launching a new Universal Application binary format for iPhone OS apps that allows developers to deliver a single app that can take full advantage of the features of the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. This essentially wraps iPhone and iPad code into the same app package for easy distribution and management.
post #2 of 43
nothing exciting..
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

nothing exciting..

I disagree. This is the beginning of big things.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is also launching a new Universal Application binary format for iPhone OS apps that allows developers to deliver a single app that can take full advantage of the features of the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. This essentially wraps iPhone and iPad code into the same app package for easy distribution and management.

Good luck with that. I can see iPhone apps scaling up for the iPad, but I expect the better made iPad apps to not be transferable to the iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 43
What the hell? Universal binary for the same greater and lesser featured app for iPad and iPhone? I didn't even think that is possible...
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good luck with that. I can see iPhone apps scaling up for the iPad, but I expect the better made iPad apps to not be transferable to the iPhone.

I think they mean to wrap both versions of the app into one wrapper, not expect the app to work on both platforms unchanged.

I'd bet that this is the case with all the Apple iPad apps. I don't see them writing a mail client for each device, nor is it a good strategy to take.

Eventually, the ideal would seem to be two streams, OS-X "desktop" and OS-X "mobile." You would want the OS-X mobile apps to work on any and all mobile devices (irrespective of screen size and other things), and to reconfigure themselves depending on the device they are running on. So Facebook's app is just Facebook's app and it reconfigures itself for the iPad when it's running on one, spreading out to include more real estate, features etc. Same with all the others.

This makes a huge amount of sense IMO.
post #7 of 43
Quote:

There probably doesn't have to be feature parity between the two versions. Developers could make iPad apps with simplified iPhone versions as a bonus to those who have both devices. I do hope they allow developers to charge separately for iPad and iPhone versions though, or we might see less work put into optimizing apps for each device.

I'm surprised they even used the Universal Binary name, since the iPad and iPhone have the same processor architecture. Porting between platforms might be as simple as tweaking the interface and making the best of the available processor speed.
post #8 of 43
Any developer will tell you that creating the 'view' is the easy part. the model/viewmodel is where the real meat of it all is. So its smart just to create a single binary and adjust as needed. Cake really. Apple provides all the features you need for gathering input and displaying what you need so it's just the backend that is the real banana.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

nothing exciting..

For you may be. But for developer it is exciting. The first beta release was not complete and you could not do much with porting your existing iPhone app. This release is actually much better. I can now start working on universal binary for my App and have it ready for the final release.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

I'm surprised they even used the Universal Binary name, since the iPad and iPhone have the same processor architecture. Porting between platforms might be as simple as tweaking the interface and making the best of the available processor speed.

That is my biggest problem with it. Universal code for the Mac compiled the very small amount of code for PPC and Intel, but Universal in this sense will different layouts but the same processor type. That is a lot of extra code unless Apple got very clever. I'd like iPhone apps that can run on the iPad and iPad apps that don't run on the iPhone, if they can put both into one package to help sell the iPad I'm okay with that, but if it's a "write once run everywhere" design I am not how well that will go.
post #11 of 43
Quote:

Developers can either create new version of their iPhone app from scratch or a universal binary that can run on both version. For apps that uses navigations it is easy to create universal binary. However, I can see many cases where it is not a goo idea. For example, a word processing or a spreadsheet app will need to be done using new project file.
post #12 of 43
I think the killer app for the iPad would be mobile Office.
No one cares about iWorks. I want to be able to view and edit MS Office PowerPoint, excel, and word docs.

I'm not sure if they'll develop for the iPhone OS. I'm not aware of any MS apps in the App store.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

No one cares about iWorks. I want to be able to view and edit MS Office PowerPoint, excel, and word docs.

I'm not sure if they'll develop for the iPhone OS. I'm not aware of any MS apps in the App store.

I was under the impression that iWorks apps can read MS Office files...
Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #14 of 43
When is the jailbreak coming out?

How many Iphone developers (in percent) do you think will develop for the iPad?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #15 of 43
Quote:

Bing App
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, even without any iWork apps the iPad can open up .PPT, .XLS, .DOC and .DOCX files. You can only view them, not edit, but they will be viewable.

I'm guessing you'll need the iWork Keynote app for using the video-out presentation option for .PPT and .KEY apps.
post #17 of 43
Quote:

There's a couple by Microsoft in the App Store:

- Tag Reader
- Seadragon Mobile

The likely success of the iPad will bring more...
post #18 of 43
Oh yeah. There is also the Bing search App. So that's at least 3.
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicFarley View Post

There's a couple by Microsoft in the App Store:
[...]
The likely success of the iPad will bring more...

Since MS doesn't have a true competitor to the iPad and since this will likely find a lot of use in a business setting I would expect that they are running the numbers for creating a version of MS Office for the iPad.
post #20 of 43
Quote:

I'd like iPhone apps that can run on the iPad and iPad apps that don't run on the iPhone, if they can put both into one package to help sell the iPad I'm okay with that, but if it's a "write once run everywhere" design I am not how well that will go.

There are some difficulties with it. I imagine we'll have 4 classes of apps
1) iPhone apps (which the iPad can run)
2) iPhone apps with minor interface tweak for iPad (developer makes it look a bit better)
3) iPhone/iPad apps where the iPad interface is significantly different.
4) iPad apps which are just not practical on the iPhone.

I play Chess with Friends - I imagine they'll make a better looking interface for the iPad... roughly falling into #2 above. I use the Pocket Weather app - I can see them integrating weather radar into the iPad screen (instead of a link to it), and possibly tides too... probably falls into #3.

I agree with whoever said developers might need to charge differently for an iPad version to encourage them to customise the interface - and that would be a pity if I had to buy a separate iPad and iPhone version. Is there a way to get around this (could a "premium iPad interface" be an in-app purchase?)?
post #21 of 43
Where's the Final release, the website still has the beta for downloading.
post #22 of 43
I just hope developers don't get "lazy" and not support all four display configurations-- landscape/portrait, iPad/iPhone. Some of the apps I use have half-implemented ladscape designs where you can't do anything until reorienting to portrait.

I know it complicates things, but it really is an all-or-nothing thing sometimes.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Final release is still weeks if not months away. This is iPhone SDK 3.2 Beta 2.
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Are you mucking about?
This report is about the 2nd beta. Nobody has mentioned a final release yet.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Any developer will tell you that creating the 'view' is the easy part. the model/viewmodel is where the real meat of it all is. So its smart just to create a single binary and adjust as needed. Cake really. Apple provides all the features you need for gathering input and displaying what you need so it's just the backend that is the real banana.

Unless you're developing for the iPhone. Then the view is everything and the business logic is generally trivial by comparison.
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Are you mucking about?
This report is about the 2nd beta. Nobody has mentioned a final release yet.

In his defense, the AI article doesn't mention it being the 2nd beta and uses the confusing term "officially released" instead of just "released". Other sites are being more clear about the release.
post #27 of 43
Quote:

In his defense, the AI article doesn't mention it being the 2nd beta and uses the confusing term "officially released" instead of just "released". Other sites are being more clear about the release.

Ah! Sorry - you're absolutely right. I read it more clearly on MacRumors.
Probably good for anyone who hasn't to take a quick look.

This Prince McLean article implies it's the final release. He always embellishes....
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Ah! Sorry - you're absolutely right. I read it more clearly on MacRumors.

No worries, I was about to do the same since I had first read the MR article, but I'm not the one that you should be apologizing to.
post #29 of 43
Quote:

Can't you just use the iWorks apps and save them in Word/xls/ppt format. $9.99 X 3 versus over a $100 for Office Standard.

Ultimately, I would think Open Office might be ported over.
post #30 of 43
Apple released the beta iPad SDK the day the device was announced.

All they did today was release another beta.
post #31 of 43
Thanks for clearing that up guys. Thee article definitely implies that htis was the 3.2 final release.
post #32 of 43
Quote:

Probably in some cases you are right but I can imagine that a lot of developers will deliver one app and have different views customized to different devices on the platform. Especially if for a while the iPhone is very dominant in install-base, which it should be.

It's also pretty cool that you might buy an app once and then get two experiences from it depending on the device you use. Developers need not support this but it is cool that they have the option.
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jobs said the iPad could save a Pages doc a Word file. You'd think it could open one too.
post #34 of 43
Quote:

mmmmmm, banana meat cake
post #35 of 43
The iPhone Simulator Beta 2 includes Safari for both iPhone and --now-- iPad. THAT IS GREAT!!!
post #36 of 43
beta2 of 3.2 was released.
the ipad dev kit 3.2 beta has been available since jan 27.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Jobs said the iPad could save a Pages doc a Word file. You'd think it could open one too.

Another interesting thing is the ability of the iPad to generate PDF from documents. Developers will have access for PDF files within their apps as well.
post #38 of 43
Quote:

No one cares about iWorks.

Many people do. Personally, I am all Mac at home and work and happily finally uninstalled Office some time ago. If you are a Mac user, iWork integrates very easily with the iLife apps and shares many of the same editing menus (eg, for altering images) so the learning curve is low and the work-flow is fast.

Also, anybody who gives presentations will likely never use PP again after using Keynote if they can help it; it really is that much better.

One reason I think is behind Apple releasing iWork for the iPad, though, is also to show what the device is really capable of. iWork is a fairly major app suite, and to port it to the iPad must have been an undertaking; they would really have had to think through the interaction the user would need to use the app effectively. This will give lots of developers (especially beginning ones with that greatest of all ideas) a starting point and some motivation.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #39 of 43
Quote:

Is this the same method that Android uses for their various devices? Is this how "fragmentation" will be handled for various platforms running mobile OSs in general?
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

When is the jailbreak coming out?

How many Iphone developers (in percent) do you think will develop for the iPad?

If it is easy, damn near 100%. But I would expect the garbage apps to look horrible on the big screen.

It will be very interesting to see what becomes of the mildly amusing garbage apps. I would think that folks will not download "fart apps"
for their iPad nearly as often as for their iPhone. Many of those sort s of apps are for showing off the iPhone in a casual setting. But will folks download them for a device that resides in their living room? I would think that there would be less opportunity for "hey - look at this!' with the iPad.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone OS 3.2 SDK for iPad