or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Disney executive praises potential of Apple iPad

Disney executive praises potential of Apple iPad

post #1 of 78
Calling the iPad a "game changer," Walt Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger revealed Tuesday that his company has big plans for Apple's device, including interactive TV, games, applications and comic books.

Iger's comments came during the Walt Disney Co. quarterly earnings conference call Tuesday. He suggested the company could build an iPad application around the popular ABC show "Lost" that would allow users to interact with the program and learn more information as they watch it.

He also said new ABC News and ESPN Score Center applications would be coming to the iPad, with an emphasis on giving users a new way to view with their content. He noted the existing ESPN application provides "rudimentary information" on scores, but the iPad version could become something much more.

"We find that iPad has a lot of potential," Iger said. "We think its a really compelling device. We think it could be a game changer in terms of enabling us to create essentially new forms of content. Obviously it will be a great device to play games on and to watch videos because of the clarity of the screen.

"But the interactivity that it will allow on a portable device with such a high quality screen is going to enable us to really start developing products that are different than the product that you typically see on an Internet-connected computer, or on a television set."

That Disney plans to support the iPad should come as no surprise -- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs is the single largest shareholder of stock in the Walt Disney Co. But Iger's comments do provide a clue as to what kind of content and new applications major developers could bring to Apple's new multimedia device.

The CEO also revealed that Disney's digital revenues topped $2 billion in 2009. He expects the number to be even larger in 2010, thanks, in part, to the iPad.

He said that previously Disney was emphasizing e-books on computers screens, and the company had recently started to focus on expanding those titles to the iPhone and the iPod touch. But the iPad and its iBookstore will provide a new and different opportunity for the company to explore that market.

"Suddenly this device comes along and provides us with an even more robust technological platform, that makes the interactivity that we are going to provide -- things like read along simple animation music -- to just sort of come to life," Iger said.

He also revealed that Disney is working on casual games for the iPad, and that it would release comic books from Marvel on the device.

Apple has reportedly been in talks with TV networks for months to offer a subscription TV plan. Disney -- which owns ABC, Disney Channel and the ABC Family networks -- has reportedly shown interest in the idea, but others have not. While networks were allegedly briefed on the tablet prior to its release, as a potential way to watch TV content, a TV subscription plan was not revealed when the iPad was unveiled in late January.
post #2 of 78
That's a shock LOL.

Seriously though it will be cool for their material I am sure.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #3 of 78
Its a big deal when a company like disney is publicly endorsing your product.
post #4 of 78
I understand the Jobs'/Disney connection and so Iger should/would be positive and therefore come across as 'forward' thinking!

But don't the other movie exec's, TV network exec's and publishing execs seem ponderous and shortsighted when it comes to Apple's iPad?

-More foreskin, than foresight!
post #5 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's a shock LOL.

Seriously though it will be cool for their material I am sure.

Will they make their reruns available on Apple devices? Currently they use flash, and you can't use an iDevice to watch them.
post #6 of 78
In a couple of other threads, people were complaining that since the iPad didn't have flash, they couldn't play Disney games.

Guess that concern is over.

More and more sites are moving away from Flash; Disney is huge.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Its a big deal when a company like disney is publicly endorsing your product.

I agree. Jobs was thinking ahead when he bought Disney...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #8 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I agree. Jobs was thinking ahead when he bought Disney...

Agreed and it started with him buying Pixar for $10,000,000 during the time he was dismissed from Apple for 15 years! I think I have the numbers right there!

Could you imagine his feelings of humiliation and betrayal?...knowing what he knew he could do. With Apple that is, he was not very involved with Pixar. Except he was very involved in setting the price of Pixar's IPO. Everybody involved wanted a lower price but he stuck to his guns and got it.
post #9 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It it would release comic books from Marvel on the device.

First killer app?
post #10 of 78
I can see this iPad being a surprise hit.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 78
The way I see it is it's becoming more of a content platform and less of a computer.
post #12 of 78
Jobs is the largest shareholder in Disney so why is this news? PUH_LEEZE!
post #13 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

The way I see it is it's becoming more of a content platform and less of a computer.

No kidding- Its just a big iPod.
post #14 of 78
...the Microsoft of entertainment. As an indicator of iPad's potential cultural influence, this is not promising.

Alas, I am such a cynic that the notion the iPad might create new and inventive outlets for truly novel creativity scarcely registers. It will be a moneymaking media machine for big corporations, mostly. Or so I fear.

Still, it looks really cool.
post #15 of 78
Quote:

Honestly, "becoming"? That's all it ever was intended to be! It is NOT meant to be a computer, at least not as most people myopically define a "computer" to be.

this is just the start...this is what i envisioned the day ipad was revealed. many more companies will start to see the potential for this device and their embracing it will drive sales beyond what even the most optimistic forecaster would dare prognosticate.

This is a wave I want to ride...got to hit the iPhone development tutorials then download the SDK and develop some ipad apps! peace!
post #16 of 78
Quote:

Its an ultra thin mobile client.
post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

First killer app?

A $500 comic book reader? You actually think that's a good thing? What is this Hammacher Schlemmer?
post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

First killer app?

You can already get Marvel stuff via various iPhone apps, and PanelFly have got plans for what looks like an amazing comic reader with Marvel material available to buy in-app on the iPad.

http://panelfly.com/ipad/
post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

You can already get Marvel stuff via various iPhone apps, and PanelFly have got plans for what looks like an amazing comic reader with Marvel material available to buy in-app on the iPad.

http://panelfly.com/ipad/

Marvel should make a bundle from this I agree.
post #20 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Or just buy the damn CDRom for crying out loud!

Easy Tiger. And after buying it, should I just put it in the iPads optical drive then?

EDIT: Nifty edit TEKSTUD, but not quick enough
post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

...the Microsoft of entertainment. As an indicator of iPad's potential cultural influence, this is not promising.

Alas, I am such a cynic that the notion the iPad might create new and inventive outlets for truly novel creativity scarcely registers. It will be a moneymaking media machine for big corporations, mostly. Or so I fear.

Still, it looks really cool.

Good points, but I think Apple has really unleashed the 'creativity' of the developers, witness the iPhone, from pocket universe, redlaser, Anti-Mosquito, urbanspoon, etc., etc. And with the iPad's greater screen real estate it will give them a bigger canvas. I think we all will be pleasantly surprised by its capabilities. I'm not into comic books, or games or tv shows which I find mostly silly-Soprano's was good though. But I do like movies, music, books, magazines, the internet, etc.
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Easy Tiger. And after buying it, should I just put it in the iPads optical drive then?

EDIT: Nifty edit TEKSTUD, but not quick enough

post #23 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Apple will soon offer "Limited time only Apps" only to recycle them a year later.
post #24 of 78
Quote:

Based on what?
  • Apple is releasing their word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software for it
  • Omnigroup has announced that they're releasing five of their major apps for it including Project Management and diagram creation (that is MS Visio compatible)
  • There are lots of announcements by developers of iPad versions of already very useful iPhone applications

Seems to me it's going to be very much more than a content-delivery platform.
post #25 of 78
Apple doesn't depend on the other TV networks, as the device has potential at so many other areas, and looking at the success o the iPhone and of the companies that made fortune developing apps on it, it really looks like a moneymaking machine.
And this is just the first generation model.
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Disney . . . would release comic books from Marvel on the device.

I think this has the potential to be big, maybe even huge when you add textbooks and homework retrieved from the web to the mix.

Today all the kids want an iPod Touch for music and games. This has the potential to move them from the lower priced Touch to the iPad for music, games and of course iWork. This should sell well to the K-12 crowd as well as to the HiEd audience. Look for the Nano to be their 2nd device, the young-ins that is, to provide compact music and a camera and an iPhone for the older ones. I think Apple has the potential to sell well into these groups.
post #27 of 78
Quote:

It makes me laugh how people struggle to define the iPad. Sure, its definitely more of a content platform, but it is also a computer if you want it to be. I mean, we all know it is very much a computer though the term is sounding more and more archaic. Its an iPad, or if you prefer, an 'over sized iPod Touch', and it will be huge. Why people struggle with a large iPod Touch concept, beats me. Seems like the less people 'get it' the worse they think it is. Putting a derogatory spin on the giant iPod Touch idea really misses the point because a giant iPod Touch will be awesome and yet we all know it will be that and more. Quit trying to define it - just go with it for a while and look at its potential uses. iPod Touch, sanitary pads... however you feel you must categorize it, you know you are being silly. I'm not saying it is perfect but people really need to open their eyes and look beyond their initial prejudices.
post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think this has the potential to be big, maybe even huge when you add textbooks and homework retrieved from the web to the mix.

Today all the kids want an iPod Touch for music and games. This has the potential to move them from the lower priced Touch to the iPad for music, games and of course iWork. This should sell well to the K-12 crowd as well as to the HiEd audience. Look for the Nano to be their 2nd device, the young-ins that is, to provide compact music and a camera and an iPhone for the older ones. I think Apple has the potential to sell well into these groups.

Good analysis of their current product mix...I had forgotten the Nano has a camera....for the young'ns and the iPhone for the older generations...on a personal note, I will be getting an iPad 3G even though it can be said there is some 'overlap' with my 3Gs. The iPad will actually save me $1,200 because before its intro I was planning an SD MBA as my next purchase.

How's that for 'rationalizing' my next expenditure?
post #29 of 78
as it signals to other content providers that they better get on board or they will see disney take a lead in the shift to providing digital iPad content. I am confident that every major content provider is looking seriously at the iPad platform but to hear Disney come right out and call it a game changer is a game changer in its own right. this is very big news.
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Putting a derogatory spin on the giant iPod Touch idea really misses the point because a giant iPod Touch will be awesome

It may well be awesome. But it would have been awesome x 5 had it been what we expected it to be, rather than what it is.

I've been waiting for years for a nice little device to surf the internet and watch videos from anywhere in the house.

But with its inability to access many popular websites and the 4:3 aspect ratio, this device is of no interest to me whatsoever. I can't even use it to watch reruns of Lost from the 'web. Meh.
post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It makes me laugh how people struggle to define the iPad. Sure, its definitely more of a content platform, but it is also a computer if you want it to be. I mean, we all know it is very much a computer though the term is sounding more and more archaic. Its an iPad, or if you prefer, an 'over sized iPod Touch', and it will be huge. Why people struggle with a large iPod Touch concept, beats me. Seems like the less people 'get it' the worse they think it is. Putting a derogatory spin on the giant iPod Touch idea really misses the point because a giant iPod Touch will be awesome and yet we all know it will be that and more. Quit trying to define it - just go with it for a while and look at its potential uses. iPod Touch, sanitary pads... however you feel you must categorize it, you know you are being silly. I'm not saying it is perfect but people really need to open their eyes and look beyond their initial prejudices.

well put...i am so tired of the lame "feminine napkin" references, really are we that childish people?
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

...I can't even use it to watch reruns of Lost from the 'web. Meh.

considering it's the last season, that Disney owns ABC and you don't think they'll write an app to access their streaming video content? Of course they will...

but if it's not for you, then so be it.
post #33 of 78
Quote:

It may well be awesome. But it would have been awesome x 5 had it been what we expected it to be, rather than what it is.

I've been waiting for years for a nice little device to surf the internet and watch videos from anywhere in the house.

But with its inability to access many popular websites and the 4:3 aspect ratio, this device is of no interest to me whatsoever. I can't even use it to watch reruns of Lost from the 'web. Meh.

Sure, but you are pretty close to doing what you want. The Flash thing will get in the way for my kids but it is by no means a deal breaker. They play online Flash Games but since I bought them iPod Touches thats pretty much all they use. Video will move away from Flash, anyway. The aspect ratio should not deter you - just conceive of it as a smaller screen. If you look at the bigger picture however, the aspect ratio makes sense.

I am the first to agree that the iPad will not be perfect for everything, but neither is the TV nor the laptop or iMac. But if you primarily visit Flash based web sites and require a larger size screen in order to watch widescreen video / movies, then yeah, the iPad is not for you. At the moment I use a 13" MacBook for that and I'm loving it.

The iPad has so many uses. Just wait for the wall mount accessory. Stick it on the wall or on the fridge while cooking, or in the workshop or garage. The mind boggles.
post #34 of 78
Disney would be wise to encourage Apple to create a drop-proof, spill-proof version of the iPad with a screen that makes peanut butter smears easy to clean. They could call it the KiddiePad.
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts_mac View Post

considering it's the last season, that Disney owns ABC and you don't think they'll write an app to access their streaming video content? Of course they will...

Well, they haven't yet.

And Lost is only one example. Its the only TV show I watched on the laptop. My guess is that there are other shows that I would want to watch too. Can I watch reruns of Dexter on an iDevice?
post #36 of 78
Quote:

aren't you being overly anxious to make your judgement? the device is not even out and you're already dismissing it
post #37 of 78
A platform like iPad would be great for interacting with live programming (and a branding opportunity for Apple):

* A special week of live 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' episodes could have an Ask the Viewers lifeline that would let the contestant see iPhone/iPad users' real-time answers to a question.

* Watching instant replays from different angles and applying your own slow-motion video scrubbing.

* Selecting cameras from a list and effectively directing your own version of the show (very bandwidth intensive, but I'm putting it out there).

* Insta-polling for sports, news, and award shows.

* Voting on elimination reality shows.

Many shows are already doing this sort of thing with text messaging and online features, but using an iPad app could be a more engaging because it has more display space than a phone and handles more seamlessly than a laptop.
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

aren't you being overly anxious to make your judgement? the device is not even out and you're already dismissing it

I was quite anxious to make the judgment "Yeah - finally its here! Just what I have been waiting for!". Then I saw the Product Launch.

I need not wait for the product itself, as the lack of full web access and the antique aspect ratio are unlikely to change.
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

using an iPad app could be a more engaging because it has more display space than a phone and handles more seamlessly than a laptop.

In what respect does it "handle more seamlessly than a laptop"?

I've been trying to figure that out ever since iSteve claimed that it does some things better than a laptop.
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

No kidding- Its just a big iPod.

Like my 24" monitor is just like a big 14" monitor. I love the LIMITED screen space!
Like my 60" TV was just like my 22" TV. I love the dull details.

/s
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Disney executive praises potential of Apple iPad