or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Disney executive praises potential of Apple iPad

Disney executive praises potential of Apple iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 78
We may see App prices raise as a result of the iPad.

http://modthatmac.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/appprices/
post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

A $500 comic book reader? You actually think that's a good thing? What is this Hammacher Schlemmer?

Are you serious?!?

What would you say to someone who just installed a $60k home theater system?

"$60k to watch reruns of I Love Lucy?"
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Sure, but you are pretty close to doing what you want. The Flash thing will get in the way for my kids but it is by no means a deal breaker. They play online Flash Games but since I bought them iPod Touches thats pretty much all they use. Video will move away from Flash, anyway....

My thoughts exactly. Everyone talks about the music, movie, tv and publishing industry dinosaurs being reluctant to move away from the established ways they've been doing things for years, but the web development community is going to have to change as well. They'll have to move away from established, but outdated technolgies (ie: flash) and start moving to new standards (ie: html 5).

Regards,

Tim
post #44 of 78
Quote:

It makes me laugh how people struggle to define the iPad. Sure, its definitely more of a content platform, but it is also a computer if you want it to be. I mean, we all know it is very much a computer though the term is sounding more and more archaic. Its an iPad, or if you prefer, an 'over sized iPod Touch', and it will be huge. Why people struggle with a large iPod Touch concept, beats me. Seems like the less people 'get it' the worse they think it is. Putting a derogatory spin on the giant iPod Touch idea really misses the point because a giant iPod Touch will be awesome and yet we all know it will be that and more. Quit trying to define it - just go with it for a while and look at its potential uses. iPod Touch, sanitary pads... however you feel you must categorize it, you know you are being silly. I'm not saying it is perfect but people really need to open their eyes and look beyond their initial prejudices.

Don't tell me that, tell "them". I supported this thing before launch and even now. All of the technopiles/gadget geeks I've talked to said it's just a big iPod touch but dismiss the idea of a larger screen space and a liberating multitouch surface. Then they compare it to netbook/laptop/desktop saying it's more capable, duh! Saying that it's not more portable than the iPod touch arguing that it can't fit in your pocket, when was the last time you can put a netbook in your pocket? Then it just gets soo ridiculus like "no one would want to carry a bag to carry that". So comparing this to other devices is not a good idea.

And You're right, it should be accepted as it is not what it's not. As a content consumer, this will be great for it. What I ment by less of a computer was the idea of a computing environment tethered to a mouse and keyboard. Although you can do word processing and other light computing tasks which is nice, at the moment the iPad acts as portal to information and content. As the chip gets better, developers can achieve what was possible on the desktop such as 3D rendering/video processing can be possible in the future revisions of the iPad.

Did anybody got excited about Wireless N? Client - server apps integration are more smoother. Imagine a custom Final Cut Pro client on the iPad, all the raw video streaming/processing on a server/cloud while you edit movies intuitively on the iPad. That's the new way of compuTING and less of a compuTER.

So much for just a big iPod.
post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthatmac View Post

I thought that was obvious.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #46 of 78
Quote:

A $500 comic book reader? You actually think that's a good thing? What is this Hammacher Schlemmer?

You're getting annoying. I have no problem criticizing Apple, but you're just getting predictable, boring and trollish with these posts. We all know it's not just a comic book reader, and you know it too. Get a life, idiot.
post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think this has the potential to be big, maybe even huge when you add textbooks and homework retrieved from the web to the mix.

Today all the kids want an iPod Touch for music and games. This has the potential to move them from the lower priced Touch to the iPad for music, games and of course iWork. This should sell well to the K-12 crowd as well as to the HiEd audience. Look for the Nano to be their 2nd device, the young-ins that is, to provide compact music and a camera and an iPhone for the older ones. I think Apple has the potential to sell well into these groups.

The potential for education is colossal... but also for entertainment - think of the interactive storybook telling capabilities of this device... and Disney has all the content to do that already. Now if they would just lose flash....
post #48 of 78
Quote:

Sure, but you are pretty close to doing what you want.

Yep. No cigar.
post #49 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Don't tell me that, tell "them". I supported this thing before launch and even now. All of the technopiles/gadget geeks I've talked to said it's just a big iPod touch but dismiss the idea of a larger screen space and a liberating multitouch surface. Then they compare it to netbook/laptop/desktop saying it's more capable, duh! Saying that it's not more portable than the iPod touch arguing that it can't fit in your pocket, when was the last time you can put a netbook in your pocket? Then it just gets soo ridiculus like "no one would want to carry a bag to carry that". So comparing this to other devices is not a good idea.

And You're right, it should be accepted as it is not what it's not. As a content consumer, this will be great for it. What I ment by less of a computer was the idea of a computing environment tethered to a mouse and keyboard. Although you can do word processing and other light computing tasks which is nice, at the moment the iPad acts as portal to information and content. As the chip gets better, developers can achieve what was possible on the desktop such as 3D rendering/video processing can be possible in the future revisions of the iPad.

Did anybody got excited about Wireless N? Client - server apps integration are more smoother. Imagine a custom Final Cut Pro client on the iPad, all the raw video streaming/processing on a server/cloud while you edit movies intuitively on the iPad. That's the new way of compuTING and less of a compuTER.

So much for just a big iPod.

Absolutely - I wasn't telling 'you' per se. But my initial reaction was to the content creation v consumption bit, because though you may not choose to use this thing for graphical work you certainly can use it for text input. More importantly, as a narrowly dedicated device (through whatever app) I am certain it will be used extensively for data input. I can imagine using it to write on using the virtual keyboard. For many I think this will be perfectly acceptable. I am also sure it will be used extensively as a controller of sorts. I can certainly imagine having one in the living room to control all media if not actually store the media on the thing. But content consumption is the big thing and by far the majority of people are content consumers rather than creators. Even Creators spend a huge amount of time consuming information.

People do, and will continue to dismiss this thing but I am sure it will become a major game shifter given a couple of years. In a good way.
post #50 of 78
Quote:

Wasn't that the real motivation for releasing iWork at launch? The 'Pad certainly is not a business device. I could only think of one reason why they took all that time promoting iWork.
post #51 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Yep. No cigar.

Not sure that will ever happen. If it was what you want it would not be so many other things, is my guess.
post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs View Post

My thoughts exactly. Everyone talks about the music, movie, tv and publishing industry dinosaurs being reluctant to move away from the established ways they've been doing things for years, but the web development community is going to have to change as well. They'll have to move away from established, but outdated technolgies (ie: flash) and start moving to new standards (ie: html 5).

Regards,

Tim

After that happens, the iPad would be an adequate way to surf. Before that, not so much.
post #53 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

The potential for education is colossal... but also for entertainment - think of the interactive storybook telling capabilities of this device... and Disney has all the content to do that already. Now if they would just lose flash....

I think it is pretty obvious that developers aren't wasting any time whining about lack of Flash on iPad/iPhone. They are just coding away with apps and specially formated websites for the devices. There is really no reason to expect a lowest common denominator solution. We've been dealing with incompatibilities on the web for years. You just workaround whatever obstacles you run into.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #54 of 78
Quote:

Wasn't that the real motivation for releasing iWork at launch? The 'Pad certainly is not a business device. I could only think of one reason why they took all that time promoting iWork.

Please, look at the bigger picture. Look ahead. Just at the face of it it now comes with an office suite. Plain and simple. For my kids its a perfect first computer with those apps. And you are so so wrong if you cant see this thing in a business environment. Pretend you're back at school and your assignment is to find uses for the iPad in business. If you are having problems do this for real with some kids. Do it like a brainstorming sessions. No critiquing is allowed. You may learn an awful lot.
post #55 of 78
Quote:

Apple will soon offer "Limited time only Apps" only to recycle them a year later.

Quick! Get your Disney App before it goes back into the vault!

But seriously, why is this even news? Or surprising that Disney would praise an Apple product? Disney and Apple are two peas in the same pod.
post #56 of 78
Quote:

Well, they haven't yet.

And Lost is only one example. Its the only TV show I watched on the laptop. My guess is that there are other shows that I would want to watch too. Can I watch reruns of Dexter on an iDevice?

I have a feeling that other networks will follow suit and adopt NBC's mobile model. I can watch reruns of 30 Rock or The Office anywhere on my iPhone.
post #57 of 78
Quote:

After that happens, the iPad would be an adequate way to surf. Before that, not so much.

IF the developers and advertisers are concerned about reaching the largest audience possible with their products (web sites and advertisments) AND they figure out that the rapidly expanding iPhone, iPod touch and soon to be iPad user population are NOT seeing those products, they will start the transition away from flash. The larger the group that is not being reached, the quicker they should move to methods that will work... or someone else will!

Tim
post #58 of 78
Quote:

Well, they haven't yet.

nor have they released the device...oh sh*t...why am i wasting my time...\
post #59 of 78
I wonder if this means that Disney is goign to change their flash based web site so you can actually see it in the iPad???
post #60 of 78
It's a smart move for Disney to embrace the iPad now. Apple will be a leader in the tablet market very soon, and for the forseeable future. The potential for the iPad to be applicable in personal and business use, more than other products, is huge. After some issues are fixed, the iPad will be a homerun.

Check out ipad news and updates:

iPadLot.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I wonder if this means that Disney is goign to change their flash based web site so you can actually see it in the iPad???

Have you accessed Disney's site from an iPhone or Touch? They already have a redeisgned site for that with videos that play on the iPhone. They'll have to adjust the layout to make it ideal for the iPad but the hard bits have already been completed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #62 of 78
Quote:

The real motivation for releasing iWork at launch, IMO, was to add value to the iPad and help it be like a "gateway" computer.

Think of it .... start out the younger crowd with iPods, graduate to iPhones, then to iPads with some office type apps ... hell, by the time they enter the workforce they will be immersed into the mac experience. A brilliant strategy ... grow your present customer base by adding value at the same time you plant the pathway for future customers ... don't leave any blank spots for a competitor to fill ... bloody brilliant!
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #63 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I can see this iPad being a surprise hit.

It's not a surprise to a lot of people. The ones who aren't incessant Apple-bashers knew it would be a success from the start.

The product was available for pre-order in some countries --- and several countries have already closed down the ordering system because orders exceeded projected supply. The iPad will be HUGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

The way I see it is it's becoming more of a content platform and less of a computer.

IT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A FULL COMPUTER. Jobs specifically stated in the keynote that it's not a laptop. It's a content provider / thin client / portable communication tool / etc. -- and always was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

aren't you being overly anxious to make your judgement? the device is not even out and you're already dismissing it

That's the funny thing about the iPad-bashers. They based all of their opinions on the rumor mill and since it didn't meet the rumor mill, they attack. My favorite is the rumored price of $999. When it came in at half that, they didn't cheer, but rather said that it's too expensive.

You just can't please some people.

Quote:

Sure. Like $9.99 for Pages. Oh, wait......
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #64 of 78
Quote:

It makes me laugh how people struggle to define the iPad. Sure, its definitely more of a content platform, but it is also a computer if you want it to be. I mean, we all know it is very much a computer though the term is sounding more and more archaic.

The reason is that - even for Macs (if you go mucking about in the system folder - or try to manage 1TB of files and backups) - is that computers are a pain in the ass, and ARE archaic. No one "should" have to be a sysadmin to do simple tasks and for content delivery. Just because it's expected, doesn't make it a good solution.

No one thinks of their iPhone or iTouch as a pain in the ass (although iTunes could use some work) at the experience level, so there's a fundamental disconnect.

No one should want or expect that the iPad should be as painful as the masochistic pile of housekeeping they call a laptop - except for nerds who can't think in terms of what could-be vs what-is (status quo). I'm convinced that having apps and associated files PRESENTED to the user - rather than having to ask the user to GET their data (if they can remember where the hell they put it) is becoming an outmoded model for more than 90% of the users out there. Heavy content-creation and programming - sure - compute your brains out. My folks shouldn't have to do sysadmin bullshit - because no one is paying them sysadmin salaries, and because computers are powerful enough to do this crap themselves if the developers would change user philosophies.

The iPhone, iTouch, and now the iPad will finally force developers to think of how people interact with their data for the first time in 26 years (almost 40 if you count the Alto). About time too.
post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not a surprise to a lot of people. The ones who aren't incessant Apple-bashers knew it would be a success from the start.

I don't agree. And no one can "know" as it's not out yet.
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

The reason is that - even for Macs (if you go mucking about in the system folder - or try to manage 1TB of files and backups) - is that computers are a pain in the ass, and ARE archaic. No one "should" have to be a sysadmin to do simple tasks and for content delivery. Just because it's expected, doesn't make it a good solution.

No one thinks of their iPhone or iTouch as a pain in the ass (although iTunes could use some work) at the experience level, so there's a fundamental disconnect.

No one should want or expect that the iPad should be as painful as the masochistic pile of housekeeping they call a laptop - except for nerds who can't think in terms of what could-be vs what-is (status quo). I'm convinced that having apps and associated files PRESENTED to the user - rather than having to ask the user to GET their data (if they can remember where the hell they put it) is becoming an outmoded model for more than 90% of the users out there. Heavy content-creation and programming - sure - compute your brains out. My folks shouldn't have to do sysadmin bullshit - because no one is paying them sysadmin salaries, and because computers are powerful enough to do this crap themselves if the developers would change user philosophies.

The iPhone, iTouch, and now the iPad will finally force developers to think of how people interact with their data for the first time in 26 years (almost 40 if you count the Alto). About time too.

Amen, to that. I can understand the resistance in a geeky forum but you hear few people complain about not accessing their files and folders when using iPhoto or iTunes.
I used to use a great CRM db app way back when. You created an contact (or project) and entered all relevant data. Then, say, write a letter, you'd open a Word doc from within the app and save it within the app. I never knew where anything went but I could always find all the relevant files and data in minimal time. 15 people or so used the system over a network and it was excellent. Called salesPro, or something like that. There used to be one for Mac called Super Office, which was brilliant in its early days, even for a single user.
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts_mac View Post

well put...i am so tired of the lame "feminine napkin" references, really are we that childish people?

Agreed. NASA has been sending vehicles into space from launch pads for decades and no one ever made fun of that.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

In a couple of other threads, people were complaining that since the iPad didn't have flash, they couldn't play Disney games.

Guess that concern is over.

More and more sites are moving away from Flash; Disney is huge.

yep. the CS5 beta actually has a flash to iphone app converter. easy enough to change over the disney games to a friendly format

also, some of the talk with the subscription thing was to use the files already in the itunes bank for this subscription. then you could download and watch offline. so no flash worries there.

the major issues for the nets is how they would be paid for subscribers and what kind of detail would they receive about what shows are being watched. this is important to them because this deal would cut into the all holy Nielsen ratings (they fear) and thus cost them ad money. then again, the way the Nielsen's work it might not change a thing with those numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts_mac View Post

Honestly, "becoming"? That's all it ever was intended to be! It is NOT meant to be a computer, at least not as most people myopically define a "computer" to be.

yep. from day one they have said the ipad is an extension of the iphone/ipod touch. NOT a computer. they have no intentions of having a machine you can do photoshop, final cut etc on. they included iwork because it's not a processor killer. and it is something the traveling business person would want (at least pages) so having that software adds appeal for that market.

but the ipad is not now nor will ever be something for the technos on sites like this one. the good news is that there are enough basic consumers to make up for the small percent that are calling the ipad crap cause of what it can't do that they think it should.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #69 of 78
Quote:

It may well be awesome. But it would have been awesome x 5 had it been what we expected it to be, rather than what it is.

I've been waiting for years for a nice little device to surf the internet and watch videos from anywhere in the house.

But with its inability to access many popular websites and the 4:3 aspect ratio, this device is of no interest to me whatsoever. I can't even use it to watch reruns of Lost from the 'web. Meh.

how many times and in how many threads do you have to say the same thing over and over? the ipad is not for you, we get it. move on.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #70 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

how many times and in how many threads do you have to say the same thing over and over? the ipad is not for you, we get it. move on.

Why can't he voice his opinion? Everyone else on here does - but only those favorable are allowed?
post #71 of 78
Quote:

Why can't he voice his opinion? Everyone else on here does - but only those favorable are allowed?

he can voice his opinion, just like you do (unfortunately). it's not terribly constructive to repeat the same criticisms and say your not going to buy it over and over. i think everyone got the point afer the first hundred times or so.
post #72 of 78
Quote:

That's simply untrue.
post #73 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's simply untrue.

Trust me it is. And I should know. The one with 14,000 posts who's about to take his leave of absence (as if we care) can call me and certain others on here trolls and other derogatory comments left and right and get away with it. There is a double standard here. I've been told point blank by a certain moderator that this is no democracy here.

BTW- I just got a NIkon Coolpix with a 3.5 Touch OLED screen and the screen is amazing. Pure blacks- amazing.
post #74 of 78
Quote:

This is a rehashing of an old rumor from more than a year ago, that claimed a $20 Premium Section of the App Store would rear it's head to differentiate worthwhile software from the slew of garbage. Even then, the rumors were that this would coincide with the launch of a new Tablet/iPhone.

Undoubtedly, it's true. Apple has already stated that they will place iPad Apps "Front and Center" We all already know that iPad Apps have much more potential than iPhone Apps, therefor higher perceived value, therefor higher asking price.

I'd say that fits 100% with rumors more than a year old.
post #75 of 78
Quote:

I've been told point blank by a certain moderator that this is no democracy here.

Why would that be at all surprising or disconcerting? It's a private website; of course it is not a democracy. I know of no web forum that is. I'm genuinely surprised you had to be told something that's so incredibly fucking obvious.

There is a world of difference between "democracy" (whatever the hell that word could possibly mean on a privately owned web forum) and "only favorable opinions are allowed" (a claim which is clearly a huge crock of shit).
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #76 of 78
Quote:

Trust me it is. And I should know. The one with 14,000 posts who's about to take his leave of absence (as if we care) can call me and certain others on here trolls and other derogatory comments left and right and get away with it. There is a double standard here. I've been told point blank by a certain moderator that this is no democracy here.

BTW- I just got a NIkon Coolpix with a 3.5 Touch OLED screen and the screen is amazing. Pure blacks- amazing.

You bought a camera that doesn't do email!? Blololol
post #77 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustReelFilms

The way I see it is it's becoming more of a content platform and less of a computer.

Quote:

No kidding- Its just a big iPod.

Of course! It is the first post-os computing platform with keyboard capability. That is the point. A different paradigm for computing for the "rest of them." Not us.

This is pretty obvious folks.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Why would that be at all surprising or disconcerting? It's a private website; of course it is not a democracy. I know of no web forum that is. I'm genuinely surprised you had to be told something that's so incredibly fucking obvious.

There is a world of difference between "democracy" (whatever the hell that word could possibly mean on a privately owned web forum) and "only favorable opinions are allowed" (a claim which is clearly a huge crock of shit).

As demonstrated by you use of language and lack of censorship.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Disney executive praises potential of Apple iPad