or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases Apple TV 3.0.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases Apple TV 3.0.2

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Apple has released a minor update to Apple TV that brings its firmware to version 3.0.2.

The update appears to be related to the release of Aperture 3.0, which made changes to how that software shares images over the local network, in addition to adding support for iPhoto's Places and Faces features.

Users have also reported that since applying the update their Apple TV has stopped experiencing problems related to switching its HDMI output cable. The update also appears to make minor tweaks in the user interface to enhance the readability of text.

The new software can be downloaded and installed from the Update Software option within the Settings/General menu on Apple TV.
post #2 of 23
HOw could have users reported it stopped interference after applying the update that fast?
I need to read more about this at iLounge. This brief article is not well written.
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

HOw could have users reported it stopped interference after applying the update that fast?
I need to read more about this at iLounge. This brief article is not well written.

Uh, because they turned on the TV after the update and there was no interference.
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOutsider22 View Post

Uh, because they turned on the TV after the update and there was no interference.

YOu mean testers. It was just released.
Who were they reporting to?
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

YOu mean testers. It was just released.
Who were they reporting to?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....32024&tstart=0

Two reports right there.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....32024&tstart=0

Two reports right there.

Right- 2 posters. And the issue in Aperture is not mentioned at all?

Thanks for the link though.
post #7 of 23
I don't believe there was any significant "issue" with Aperture, Apple TV simply didn't support some of the new features of Aperture like the Places/Faces.

This topic:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....31900&tstart=0
seems to suggest that sharing an Aperture 3 library to Apple TV worked perfectly well before the update.

The update only just released, and Aperture 3 is also hot off of the production line, I epxect it'll take a bit longer for reports on the features to appear. AI made no claims about widespread reporting of improvement to Aperture sharing. Calm your cynical muscle.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

AI made no claims about widespread reporting of improvement to Aperture sharing. Calm your cynical muscle.

You talking to me?
Seriously AI says it's "related to...."
So what does that mean then?
post #9 of 23
Probably just that Aperture 3 was relased just a few days ago, so an Apple TV update is most likely meant to address syncing/sharing/new features for that.

There don't need to be any reports for that assumption, but it is still an assumption, hence "appears to be related to"

I'll agree that it's not the most informative or well referenced article, but it may have been an early release with incomplete information that will be fleshed out later.

There's no need to jump down AI's throats about it, they didn't mislead you.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #10 of 23
Not much of an update.

But, it is just a hobby. \
post #11 of 23
There were delayed responses introduced in 3.0.x when using the iPhone Remote application to control the AppleTV. I believe this has been fixed in 3.0.2. The device is more responsive now the way it used to be.

This update is well worth it.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

There were delayed responses introduced in 3.0.x when using the iPhone Remote application to control the AppleTV. I believe this has been fixed in 3.0.2. The device is more responsive now the way it used to be.

This update is well worth it.

I've noticed this improvement as well.
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

There were delayed responses introduced in 3.0.x when using the iPhone Remote application to control the AppleTV. I believe this has been fixed in 3.0.2. The device is more responsive now the way it used to be.

This update is well worth it.

Great because I stopped using it - I had thought something was wrong with the hard drive (perhaps it had begun to die from overheating).
I really wish the iPhone remote had a way to shut the ATV down (standby) without having to turn on the monitor itself. Wouldn't that make sense?
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Not much of an update.

But, it is just a hobby. \

That's funny, because my ATV has become a hobby too. I signed up for Netflix trial this week and have been using it to stream movies in HD (Xbox 360). The chance of me using iTunes anymore to rent movies is pretty much zero at this point. Here's hoping Apple decides to do something more with this device.
-Toyin
Reply
-Toyin
Reply
post #15 of 23
What is this Apple TV they speak of?
post #16 of 23
I hope the update fixes the CRITICAL problem of the AppleTV loosing sync with the iTunes Library on your Mac/PC.

AppleTV will randomly, but in time surely, stop streaming all content. You will no longer see movie artwork, but it will still list all the movies in your library. It may give errors such as "cannot play this format", even though you played it before just fine and it is in .mp4 format.

The only solution is to quit the iTunes application and yank the cord out of the AppleTV to restart.

If this update fixes the problem I'll buy a new 40GB 1st gen AppleTV for $100 on eBay. After 2 years of frustration, a few weeks ago I finally picked up my AppleTV and repeatedly slammed it down onto my entertainment center to kill it. It no longer boots.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

If this update fixes the problem I'll buy a new 40GB 1st gen AppleTV for $100 on eBay. After 2 years of frustration, a few weeks ago I finally picked up my AppleTV and repeatedly slammed it down onto my entertainment center to kill it. It no longer boots.



I don't know if I would bother - with your anger management issues it will just cost you another $100 someday. Besides you probably only need to replace the hard drive - any laptop hard drive laying around should work. I'm sure with some googling you could find an image of the AppleTV hard drive somewhere, or clone a friends...

I did notice mine is more responsive, but still lags more than I would like. I sill like mine, but I am disappointed Apple hasn't done much more with it.
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post



I don't know if I would bother - with your anger management issues it will just cost you another $100 someday. Besides you probably only need to replace the hard drive - any laptop hard drive laying around should work. I'm sure with some googling you could find an image of the AppleTV hard drive somewhere, or clone a friends...

I did notice mine is more responsive, but still lags more than I would like. I sill like mine, but I am disappointed Apple hasn't done much more with it.

$100 was worth it to me to take out the frustration of looking like a jackass for even buying an AppleTV only to have it not work right when I have people over, or just by myself, or with my girlfriend. I've had to do the QUIT ITUNES/UNPLUG trick at least a hundred times. Not to mention the THOUSANDS of hours I've spent ripping and converting DVDs to MP4 only to have NetFlix render them basically worthless for $10/month.

$100 is a small price to pay to extract some revenge on non-working and inadequate tech.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #19 of 23
Speak for yourself. My AppleTV works great...well worth the investment made years ago.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Speak for yourself. My AppleTV works great...well worth the investment made years ago.

Ditto.

I am not the only one with this problem. It is widely discussed on the Apple Support forums. It has been a problem since I first bought the system 2 years ago. It does it weather I sync with my Mac, PC, in 3 different apartments, and with different routers (including a Time Capsule).

Apple is silent on the issue. The most people have been able to guess is it is a Bonjour problem.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #21 of 23
I'm not sure of what to tell you, but, I've never had that problem. All I've noticed was a slow response to remote clicks. My only issues were feature related, and, other than codec support, I have no remaining issues with my AppleTV. I think it's great, and hardly a waste of my money. I use it during parties as well, and have never had a problem.
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I'm not sure of what to tell you, but, I've never had that problem. All I've noticed was a slow response to remote clicks. My only issues were feature related, and, other than codec support, I have no remaining issues with my AppleTV. I think it's great, and hardly a waste of my money. I use it during parties as well, and have never had a problem.

When it works I love it. But it will always eventually crap out, and the only way to fix it is to restart iTunes and unplug/replug the AppleTV. What a PITA.

I hope the next version fixes this issue, and upgrades the feature set. Alot has happened these last 2 years: Netflix streaming, Hulu, App Store, etc.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with SSD, iPhone 6, AppleTVs, iPad 2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Reply
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

When it works I love it. But it will always eventually crap out, and the only way to fix it is to restart iTunes and unplug/replug the AppleTV. What a PITA.

I hope the next version fixes this issue, and upgrades the feature set. Alot has happened these last 2 years: Netflix streaming, Hulu, App Store, etc.

It's been 3 years since the AppleTV was first released. They never upgraded the HDD, just lowered the price and then dropped the 40GB model. It still uses 10/100 Ethernet. It still uses a pretty awful 1GHz Pentium and weak GPU.

Even for a hobby it's still be allowed to linger as-is for way too long. I think a more powerful version of the iPad's HW (because it can be plugged in) would be a good fit for the next AppleTV. Combine that with a more efficient version of OS X. Meaning, the AppleTV OS is very similar to Mac OS X Tiger with new UI, but running a variation of iPhone OS may allow for a very fast UI. Then there is all the DVRs and consoles that have been experimenting with streaming and social media that Apple could tap into in a much better way than they are able to.

PS: I had to return my 3x. But the 4th one still works great.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases Apple TV 3.0.2