or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad

Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 404
What does he know about modern computers? He's out of the loop!
Entrusting Microsoft to "Bozo" Ballmer was his death wish.
post #82 of 404
I like the look and performance of the iPad, but I'm a little concerned about the form factor. Everyone I see using a netbook/small notebook is sitting at a bar or table, or on the floor - they are not in a easy chair or couch. I don't think it will be very convenient to type into this device while looking down at the screen. We will have to use a separate stand/keyboard, but that just means carrying two things around.

Ray
post #83 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo View Post

I like the look and performance of the iPad, but I'm a little concerned about the form factor. Everyone I see using a netbook/small notebook is sitting at a bar or table, or on the floor - they are not in a easy chair or couch. I don't think it will be very convenient to type into this device while looking down at the screen. We will have to use a separate stand/keyboard, but that just means carrying two things around.

Ray

I disagree. the best way to transport/protect this thing is in a folder/book style case. Apple already has one available that converts to stand. This was already thought out by Apple.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #84 of 404
I do not understand why Gates is comparing the ipad to a netbook. The HP slate that Baller showed but didn't demo would be a better comparision.

My take on that is that after Jobs showed what "little" the ipad had to offer for $499, Msft and the pc vendors went back to the drawing boards to play catch-up to the "meh" ipad. So now he pushes the netbooks as being superior..
post #85 of 404
Dear Mods,

What is the point of deleting a user's account if they are allowed to come back with another name? It makes things worse because longtime posters won't be aware of the new alias they previously had ignored and new posters won't be able to read their posting history to get a sense of the their thread derailing habits. It's a clean slate that hurts everyone but the offender.

Sincerely,
Concerned AI Posters.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #86 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Dear Mods,

What is the point of deleting a user's account if they are allowed to come back with another name? It makes things worse because longtime posters won't be aware of the new alias they previously had ignored and new posters won't be able to read their posting history to get a sense of the their thread derailing habits. It's a clean slate that hurts everyone but the offender.

Sincerely,
Concerned AI Posters.

Totally agree.
post #87 of 404
I'm just astounded once again by peoples lack of vision. Do you ever learn?

This thing is gonna sell.

As for Bill Gates..... pffft Stevie Wonder has more vision.
post #88 of 404
[QUOTE=thompr;1570601]Steve Jobs is a master marketer. /QUOTE]

Bill Gates is the worlds best poker player. He'll look you straight in the eye and make you show your cards when he has nothing and he wins! I guess that is a skill to be prized these days.

Steve Jobs is a details guy, with some understanding of useful, meaningful art. Plus, if you doubt his engineering savvy, watch the YouTube of him demoing NextSTep!!!! Way up there!

Yes he knows how to market as well, because he speaks with enthusiasm and demands and creates the best devices in the world. My 128k was great, my first Gen iPhone is still great.

(He isnt lying thru his teeth wearing a green eye shade, like some overly wealth spoiled brat who take pride in injecting African kids with mercury laden vaccines, so that if they don't die of AIDS, they will become sterile or autistic at the minimum!)

But I can't wait to get my iPad!
post #89 of 404
Quote:

Dear Mods,

Sincerely,
Concerned AI Posters.

Out of principle, I have to agree.
post #90 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Totally agree.

Me too.
post #91 of 404
You know, Im a big believer in touch and digital reading, but I still think that some mixture of voice, the pen and a real keyboard - in other words a netbook - will be the mainstream on that... Its a nice reader, but theres nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.' - Bill Gates, Microsoft Chairman

Translation: "There's nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, we could get away with stealing that, too.'"

This is what Microsoft has done instead, after a decade of "work" so far:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Review....html?x=0&.v=1

Awesome.
post #92 of 404
Who is Bill Gates??? Are you talking about that guy who creates Windoz? (the Wind of Oz?) That OS that crashes every minute cause it's a virus' magnet? I heard it can automatically download like 200.000 viruses into your PC in like just a few days! Well, if you like Free stuff, you're in!
Is it the same guy that recently decided to "clone" the Apple Store because he didn't think of it himself? Does Microsoft becoming the shadow of Apple? Maybe he should comment like "well the Apple store is nothing new really, it's just a store..." or " the Zunes is defiitely beter than the iPod..." Oh, by the way what happened to Windows Mobile?
At least Windows 8 should be a more decent product as it is "influenced" by OS X.
The iPad may not be reolutionary but Steve Jobs is getting the last important market with it: Books!!! And 140.000 Apps available right away, I doubt Microsoft can EVER beat that!!! Also, how can it be that Amazon is rethinking the Kindle in the wake of the iPad? (see AppleInsider) If it's that bad, how can Disney be So interested about this revolutionary device? (see AppleInsider).
But Microsoft can create new awesome products, as far as Apple get the original idea... OK, the copies are cheaply made and never works very well but hey, it's Microsoft. I've heard they may come with a similar device as the iPad, but a little more complicated, adding a pen (that you don't need as God gave you ten fingers versus one pen!) and a keyboard (which by the way is available as an option for the iPad Mr Gates, please get informed before making ignorant comments). Possibilities are this "revolutionary" device has already a code name: the iProut.
Well, the Dark Side has a price... and now a name...
Hey, I just got a "revolutionary" idea for MIcrosoft's new slogan: "Why making things simple if you can make them complicated?"
post #93 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I disagree. the best way to transport/protect this thing is in a folder/book style case. Apple already has one available that converts to stand. This was already thought out by Apple.

This will just add weight to the device - might as well stick to the netbook format combining guts with keyboard. Touch controls do not equal typing comfortably.
post #94 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I thought name calling wasn't allowed on here??

Moderators: TEKSTUD's a passive-aggressive time-waster who detracts from your site in a serious way. He's simply into a catatonic restatement of the same half-dozen negative ideas in every thread.

Can't you see the overwhelming negative sentiment about this recalcitrant?

Please throw him out.
post #95 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

what does he know about the possible success of the iPad?

He never said it would not be a success. I'd argue he's entitled to an opinion just like everyone else. Quit being so defensive, guys.

P.S. Slash Lane is the best tech news writer on AI.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #96 of 404
Neither Gates or Jobs is much of an engineer or designer. They are excellent business men who saw an opportunity and put together a team of people with the necessary skills to take advantage of the opportunity.

With their success they gained enough money and power to have the ability to get more of their ideas out to the public. Some were hits, some were not.

I think the iPad will be a successful product. I am not sure it will be revolutionary in any way, but I admit that it has some good potential with a few modifications. I think we will see a huge surge in the initial sales of the iPad in the first couple of months. However, there will be a significant backlash when people, who do not know about the lack of flash, get the device and have a frustrating Web Browsing experience with the device. Most of us here know what to expect from the device, most of the public does not. I predict a lot of unhappy customers on the lack of flash issue alone... The good news for the apple fans is that it should create a steady supply of discounted iPads on the refurb site.

In a few years ( assuming that the iPad is still around ) and the web generally moves away from flash content, people will prefer them over notebook computers for most casual computing.

Anyway, that is my prediction:

Huge initial sales surge ( Apple Fans can generate this alone... )

Huge backlash about the lack of Flash Content from the average Joe...

A more gradual adoption as the web moves away from flash over the next several years....
post #97 of 404
Quote:

Dear Mods,

Sincerely,
Concerned AI Posters.

quit hijacking threads with this. you are resorting to what you are 'concerned' about. thanks.
post #98 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Personally, I think it's on the big side and wish it were a little smaller.

You wanted another iPod touch then? It's the size it is for a reason, just as I said it would be around 10". If you want pocketable they have products for that. What's great about the iPad is the size of its screen. Just imagine a digital board game? Times are-a-changin' man.
post #99 of 404
Quote:

Dear Mods,

Sincerely,
Concerned AI Posters.

Moderators-
Well first of all my account was never deleted- I simply changed the spelling of my name which was incorrectly spelled originally. Thank you for continueing to let me express my opinions.
Sincerely,

TEK
post #100 of 404
Quote:
'It’s a nice reader, but there’s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, 'Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

From MacDailyNews ...

Mr. Originality strikes again. From 2004: "There's nothing that the iPod does that I say, 'Oh, wow, I don't think we can do that.'" - Bill Gates, September 02, 2004

And we all know what a failure the iPod touch has been

Well-spotted from 2004, DaveyJJ...

Also, remember, from much earlier: "640K ought to be enough for anybody" (he denies this)

And even more famously "The Internet is just a passing fad"
post #101 of 404
This coming from the guy that made the touch table? Think about it.
post #102 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I find it hypocritical that a marketing guy that never really invented anything except DOS says "no biggie" to something he doesn't really know anything about.

Bill Gates knows innovation like Donald Trump knows how to mop his floor.

Actually he stands on his head and mops his kitchen floor every day.
post #103 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You wanted another iPod touch then? It's the size it is for a reason, just as I said it would be around 10". If you want pocketable they have products for that. What's great about the iPad is the size of its screen. Just imagine a digital board game? Times are-a-changin' man.

Totally agree...new must have games and apps will be the catalyst for the ipad. The ability to download and play games from the comfort of one's living room will become a major selling point.
post #104 of 404
Quote:

Sure, but did you imagine it to have such a wide frame?

But seriously... I'm not saying the iPad is a "bad" size, just that for me personally I'd prefer it was a little smaller. And as I said, I'd still get one if it offers features/applications I'd use.
post #105 of 404
post #106 of 404
Quote:

Moderators-
Well first of all my account was never deleted- I simply changed the spelling of my name which was incorrectly spelled originally. Thank you for continueing to let me express my opinions.
Sincerely,

TEK

Although I find you bloody annoying, I'm also not a great fan of censorship. It's a lose lose situation
post #107 of 404
[QUOTE=rnp1;1570684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

(He isnt lying thru his teeth wearing a green eye shade, like some overly wealth spoiled brat who take pride in injecting African kids with mercury laden vaccines, so that if they don't die of AIDS, they will become sterile or autistic at the minimum!)

<plonk>
post #108 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

...Msft and the pc vendors went back to the drawing boards to play catch-up to the "meh" ipad. So now he pushes the netbooks as being superior..

Nod. iPad will /slay/ netbooks, nothing less, IMHO.

Quote:

...It's the size it is for a reason, just as I said it would be around 10". If you want pocketable they have products for that. What's great about the iPad is the size of its screen. Just imagine a digital board game? Times are-a-changin' man.

Slightly smaller (and much lighter!) but bigger than iPod Touch would be more convenient, at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

This coming from the guy that made the touch table?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wow, competitor unimpressed with new product. News at 11.

Exactly, deja vu ala iPod, with Apple taking the lead (again).
post #109 of 404
Quote:

Dear Mods,

Sincerely,
Concerned AI Posters.

Very well said.
I have the abuser on my ignore list, but he still seems to infect every thread in a negative way.
Nothing is ever constructive or positive, just vicious posts.
post #110 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Grow up. You sound like a 12 year old. If he bothers you that much put him on ignore and get over it. If you can't deal with people on the internet clearly you must have a very hard time in real life.

Oh, I am plenty grown up, thanks. For instance, I am able to tolerate your rants rather well. At least, you (occasionally) have something to say. Tek, otoh, is a stuck record, and it just gets tiresome after a while.

It is just that I think it affects AI and its quality, that's all. I could care less.
post #111 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by designguybrown View Post

Silly Billy - always computer geek, never businessperson, never artist, never dreamer.

You got the businessperson part wrong. He's a ruthless businessperson, is sheep's clothing.
post #112 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

Totally agree...new must have games and apps will be the catalyst for the ipad. The ability to download and play games from the comfort of one's living room will become a major selling point.

uh...to whom? The people who own game consoles are already doing that and have better content to boot.

Right now the iPad is a giant iPod touch that has slightly beefed up hardware, with an e-book/iworks app and thats about it.

This discussion is round about, there is zero reason to really buy one unless you want an e-book reader or feel the need to stroke your e-peen by having the latest Apple tech. I was mostly sold on buying one but now im second guessing my decision simply because 500 bucks is quite a price for something where i still need an added keyboard and it cant outperform my 299 10v Hackintosh.
post #113 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

quit hijacking threads with this. you are resorting to what you are 'concerned' about. thanks.

On the contrary, it is an eloquent and very timely post, and I welcome it.
It is about time someone took the vandal to task.
post #114 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Although I find you bloody annoying, I'm also not a great fan of censorship. It's a lose lose situation

He was deleted, don't be fooled :-)
post #115 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You do know Steve Jobs never developed, engineered, or designed anything right? Is he a hypocrite too for saying something isn't up to snuff?

At least Gates actually designed, engineered, developed, SOMETHING!

Well, Gates BOUGHT DOS from a small Seattle company.

Windows was a bi-product of the original Mac OS which still took them a while to get it right (Win 95).

Ok, Jobs never engineered anything but he sees what people want even before people even know they need it.
post #116 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

But one might want to check their implied premise, which is that a large iPod Touch would suck.

That's a good point. But to add to it you can't run iWork on an iPod touch. So I think to say it's a large iPod touch isn't wrong per se, but it is missing the point. This is like a computer for the average person with some fringe benefits. When you take the large touchscreen, the speed of the device and its price into consideration it turns out to be a great product. For me it would be a luxury item, but for my brother--for example--it could be his [only] computer.
post #117 of 404
Quote:

TEKSTUD

TEK

Hey TEKSTUD, just out of curiosity, quick question...

Do you really think the things that you say on Appleinsider...? Or do you just get a kick out of winding people up?
post #118 of 404
I'm really not that impressed either to be honest. I'll definitely be making my iPad purchase when available to develop for it but the iPad 1.0 is just a larger version of the iPhone to me. Put that webcam in there, give me some multitasking and I will be impressed. I have a ton of Apple equipment, love Apple but iPad 1.0 is just lacking imho.

T
post #119 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The tech nerds look at the iPad's tech specs, not at the whole device. They go down the spec sheet and see a bunch of components and features that are already available in other products (though not necessarily all in the same product, which is kind of the point), and so they are not impressed. They can't see the whole thing and they can't see how other non-tech geeks will see it. They really are tone deaf on this.

Wow, Blastdoor, you REALLY nailed it. Excellent observations. You pass the test.

post #120 of 404
Bill Gates says that some mix of keyboard, pen, and touchscreen are the key. I tend to agree.

And, indeed, so does Apple, minus the stylus. They have touchscreen, and an add-on keyboard. So what are they missing? A stylus.

My Newton (Apple's last tablet) had one. My Mac has a Wacom tablet hooked to it. So Apple has is no stranger to stylii. I think the iPad would benefit from a stylus.

If the resolution of the iPad's sensors could handle finer detail than "finger painting," that would lead to a few cool applications for paint and writing. Draw directly on an image in Photoshop - sketchpad. I think there is an ultra expensive Wacom tablet that does this today. It would be a very intuitive way to work. Write directly in the word processor - like your favorite legal pad. Again, intuitive, like Apple.

What makes more sense: Drawing with a pencil, or with your finger? Writing by typing on a sheet of glass or by using a pen?

I saw the finger paint program in Steve's demo. Not bad. But think how much better it would be with a stylus. The stylus would be your pencil, pen, chalk, airbrush - things every artist already understands. The stylus would use Apple's "ink" technology (built in to OS X) to do handwriting recognition. (A natural process every writer understands.)

I'm not sure if this lack of a stylus is what Gates meant, and I certainly understand the knee-jerk hatred and rejection of all things Windows, but perhaps he was right. Where's the obvious input device Apple left out? Where's the stylus and its cool apps?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Bill Gates unimpressed by Apple iPad