or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Office for Mac 2011 to feature co-authoring, ribbon interface

Office for Mac 2011 to feature co-authoring, ribbon interface - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Dear MacBU:

I know there are Office for Mac haters out there (a few might show up on this very thread). But I'm not one of them. For me, Office for Mac means that I don't have to run Windows at home (like I do at work). Just so you know where I stand, I'm a big, big fan.

That said, I do NOT love the ribbon on Office 2007. IMO it's a huge impediment vs. the menu interface for those of us who are not brand new to Office (or computers in general). I'm asking that you please NOT REPLACE THE MENU! If some users want the ribbon, fine, but make it possible to at least optionally run Office the old way with the standard menu; at least Word and Excel. That is important to me and probably to most of the Office for Mac users (again, ignoring the haters who don't count as they probably aren't actually customers in the first place).

Who knows, maybe the Office for Windows team could learn a thing or two from the MacBU team?

The only other things I need would be to have macro support added back in Excel, and some way to edit the current cell via a keyboard shortcut in Excel (like F2 in Mac for Windows).

Thanks for your consideration.

John.B

I've used Office for years. I love the ribbon. It's perhaps the one good idea M$ has had in the last 20 years. Of course they didn't use it for 2008, which means I refuse to buy it.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #82 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I've used Office for years. I love the ribbon. It's perhaps the one good idea M$ has had in the last 20 years. Of course they didn't use it for 2008, which means I refuse to buy it.

I hate the Ribbon interface in Office. I've only recently begun using it, and have no training on it. I can't even find the SAVE AS... command. Only SAVE. So far it is extremely hard to find formatting icons, like background and foreground colors in Excel.

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

post #83 of 91
Save as is in that stupid Windows menu. Just wanted to say...I HATE THE RIBBON too! It's the worst for power-users. Everything is moved. So they have an Insert ribbon. But where is the insert row or column, you say? Why, of course it's not there! Took me 10 minutes to realize it was in another place. F'ing retarded. How exactly is it quicker than menus? I do NOT like crap to MOVE AROUND. Just like those f'ing retarded hopping tabs in dumbass Windows dialog boxes. How can MS engineers be so...stupid? I'm sure I'll get used to it. Although I've been using 2007 for a year and I'm still not as proficient as in 2003, which I also use every day. But why should we have to, if there's no benefit?

I just want Mac Office 2010 to be faster, more compatible, stable, and with VBA. And add MS Access and Outlook, and some Sharepoint abilities. Perhaps adding those last three will justify calling a version of it "premium" or "business" or "professional" whatever. Those are three good apps that are very powerful, and essential for business. Of course if they bring those over Macs might start selling more in business and that would be bad for Windows.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #84 of 91
OK. So after years of "Entourage is soooo much better than Outlook", now we are going back to Outlook?

Oh, the irony.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #85 of 91
One very simple, basic question.

Why can't MacBU make Outlook for Mac that is 100% compatible with Outlook for Windows?

I just want the same app, that makes the same network traffic, that doesn't require me to jump through hoops or beg a Sysadmin to enable some special fluffery at the server. Just Outlook -- ok? I don't need or want it to look different or have lickable buttons.

How hard could it be? You're Microsoft -- you own the friggin' source code. What is your problem?
post #86 of 91
Although I'm generally not a Microsoft fan, hence my switch to Macs quite a few years ago, I do like Excel and Word on both the Mac and PC.
On the Mac, I have found 2008 versions very stable and very compatible. I'm not too keen on the toolbox so having the ribbon, I think, will improve it. I did find it a bit frustrating in Excel not being able to use F2, so I would like to thank Schwieb for telling us about Ctrl-U, although I wish it had been more document. I do miss VB macros, although I don't use them in work half as much as I used to, so having that being reintroduced is a good thing.
On the PC, I've actually got to like the Ribbon in Office 2007 although I did find the positioning of certain things a bit frustrating, which is why I like the idea of being able to customise it in Office 2010. I hope the customisation of it is going to carry through into Office 2011.

And you if can do a version for the iPad, that would be good. I'm still in 2 minds about getting an iPad as document editing is one thing I do a fair bit on my laptop. This might be the thing that tips the scales.
post #87 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft also announced Thursday that Outlook for Mac would allow importing of .PST files from Outlook for Windows, which it said was one of the top requests from customers. The new Outlook will also allow Spotlight search and backup support from Time Machine.

What does "importing" pst files really mean? Will the new Mac version of Outlook allow you to work with the pst file natively? Or do you have to spend time copying the contents of the pst file into the "Mac format"? And will Outlook for Mac be able to create pst files which can then be used in Windows Outlook? And what about support for server based rules in Outlook for Mac?

Will the new Excel also bring back individual formula bars for each document window?
post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

The application Microsoft that should develop for the iPad is OneNote. It's marvelous for taking notes and would fit perfectly with the portability of iPads. It's also the only application that Windows has that I would like to see running on Macs. Until it runs on my MacBook, I'll settle for it on an iPad.

Yes!!
post #89 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

OK. So after years of "Entourage is soooo much better than Outlook", now we are going back to Outlook?

Oh, the irony.

In all seriousness Entourage could have been great. The project management elements were very nice. But constant crashes and database corruptions (and lost data) just killed it. Dead. If you can't trust it, you can't use it.

I am really hopeful for Outlook, but I think any reports of corruption or data loss will be the end of Microsoft email and calendaring products on the Mac.

Good luck MacBU!!
post #90 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryy View Post

I make sure MS has a habit of making their Mac versions of Office less than their PC/Windows counterpart.

At least we know the MacBU team is working to correct this. For the most part, the people on that team seem to be enthusiastic Mac users.

Unlike, say, the general perception of the Intuit team working on the just-released Quicken Essentials for Mac.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #91 of 91
Hi, is anyone beta testing Office 2011 on a PPC Mac? What's your experience so far?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Office for Mac 2011 to feature co-authoring, ribbon interface