or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is a million dollars a lot of money?

Is a million dollars a lot of money?

Poll Results: Is a million dollars (after taxes -- let's say $600,000) a lot of money?

• 26% (4)
    I consider myself a conservaive and I think $600k is not a lot of money.
  • 26% (4)
    I consider myself a conservaive and I think $600k is a lot of money.
  • 6% (1)
    I consider myself a centrist and I think $600k is not a lot of money.
  • 6% (1)
    I consider myself a centrist and I think $600k is a lot of money.
  • 6% (1)
    I consider myself a liberal and I think $600k is not a lot of money.
  • 26% (4)
    I consider myself a liberal and I think $600k is a lot of money.
15 Total Votes  
post #1 of 43
Michael Steele thinks a million dollars is not a lot of money.

What do you think?

Personally I think that's the problem with most conservatives. They're simply out of touch with reality in terms of the economic situation of the average American. They think we can all "easily" afford SUVs and widescreen TVs or that that's what we buy with the taxes that we're not paying as much as the rich people are.
post #2 of 43
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What do you think?

Personally I think that's the problem with most conservatives. They're simply out of touch with reality in terms of the economic situation of the average American. They think we can all "easily" afford SUVs and widescreen TVs or that that's what we buy with the taxes that we're not paying as much as the rich people are.

Would you happen to have that comment in full context? Neither link there did.

For myself, $600K is a lot of money. Honestly, when you get to large figures like $1 million you are dealing with an inability to comprehend how much that really is by most Americans. When you start talking Billions or Trillions most are completely lost. What can you possibly compare it to easily?

If you made $50k a year after taxes and saved it all it would take you 20 years to save a million. That is assuming you do not make interest as well. Billion, you could never do it just through saving. And Trillion, well, not even Bill Gates has seen that figure before in his account...

Interesting topic... Let's see if it can stay civil or not...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #4 of 43
What's a conservaive?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

What's a conservaive?

Good catch, I did not see that. Spelled wrong for both poll choices. Was that on purpose? A play on Conservative and naive?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #6 of 43
Or a typo that trumpet feels the need to harp on which allowed him to escape talking about the issue.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Or a typo that trumpet feels the need to harp on which allowed him to escape talking about the issue.

Well, Tonton can clear this up fairly easily. Can he not?
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #8 of 43
I suppose it depends on how we are supposed to define "a lot".

Would a million $ (600k) make the rest of my life more relaxed and comfortable?... YEP!
Would it be enough that I could retire today and live off it? ... NOPE!

One's answer really has nothing to do with one's political leanings (though that's what the poll seems to be attempting to establish.) It has everything to do with your current income. If you're currently making 20k a year, then 600k is HUGE. If you're making 120k a year, then 600k is nice, but not a LOT. If, like my boss, you made over 14 million last year, then 600k is pocket-change.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #9 of 43
Quote:

What do you think?

Depends on the context. A million bucks to someone who has nothing probably seems like a lot, but to someone who is retiring at 62 and is healthy, it's bare minimum, in my opinion. People are living to greater age - my father lived 'till his mid 80's, and my mom is still alive, so to a couple with no income and 25-35 years of life left on the clock, $28,500 to $40,000 a year ...

No, that's not a lot. Especially considering possible health concerns. All the health care restructuring in the world isn't going to address long-term assisted care costs.

http://www.aarp.org/families/caregiv...care_cost.html
Quote:
The average U. S. costs are:

* $5,566 a month for a semi-private room in a nursing home
* $6,266 a month for a private room in a nursing home
* $2,968 a month for care in an assisted living unit
* $19 per hour for a home health aide

Quote:

Personally I think that's the problem with most conservatives. They're simply out of touch with reality in terms of the economic situation of the average American.

I think there's a problem all right - people are frigging clueless about how to ensure their own security and when the shit hits the fan they want the government to step in and save them 'cause they're fools.

My plan is to have at least $2M for retirement, and I'm not planning to retire 'till 65. I expect VERY high inflation before all this is done.
post #10 of 43
Quote:

What's a conservaive?

Yes, yes! By all means change the focus to other theings that have nothing to do with the subject matter!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #11 of 43
Exactly. What is the context?

If someone got a lump sum of $600K, that is not a small amount of money, not matter where you stand. If it was supposed to last you as your sole income for the rest of your life, it would not be as grand a sum. If that were a yearly salary, that is a lot no matter how you shake it. You would have to be used to VERY expensive living to find that sum at all paltry.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Exactly. What is the context?

If someone got a lump sum of $600K, that is not a small amount of money, not matter where you stand. If it was supposed to last you as your sole income for the rest of your life, it would not be as grand a sum. If that were a yearly salary, that is a lot no matter how you shake it. You would have to be used to VERY expensive living to find that sum at all paltry.

Back 1992 my family ( 6 members ) sold 8.1 acres of our land for $650,000. I considered this bargin basement sale price since it was our land for about 100 years and I had many fond memories growing up there. Also most land inceases in value over time and I'm sure it would be worth much more now. However to the individual ( middleclass or poor ) this would represent a large sum. So it's a matter of context yes. However for an individual this is really a lot since most don't see this total in a decade of work.
post #13 of 43
Quote:

What are you talking about I voted and my result is completely public.

Perhaps in the spirit of the thread though my result should be pubic, or pulic, or something like that.

post #14 of 43
Quote:

What are you talking about I voted and my result is completely public.

Perhaps in the spirit of the thread though my result should be pubic, or pulic, or something like that.

At least part of this reply was about the subject. Well.....sort of.....
post #15 of 43
Quote:

Well, Tonton can clear this up fairly easily. Can he not?

It was a typo, and I used cut and paste to make the poll choices...

Give me a break, Nick.

And why is everybody asking about the context?

"The two men were discussing President Obama's plan to let tax cuts lapse for families making more than $250,000 when Steele made the comment."

Obviously Steele was NOT talking about someone's retirement here. We're talking about people making more than $250,000 a year, which Steele must think is barely getting by.
post #16 of 43
Quote:

It was a typo, and I used cut and paste to make the poll choices...

Give me a break, Nick.

And why is everybody asking about the context?

"The two men were discussing President Obama's plan to let tax cuts lapse for families making more than $250,000 when Steele made the comment."

Obviously Steele was NOT talking about someone's retirement here. We're talking about people making more than $250,000 a year, which Steele must think is barely getting by.

Good enough for me. As I said, cleared it right up...

Who's Nick?

I want to read the actual exchange, not the paraphrasing done by a second party.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #17 of 43
Quote:

Who's Nick?

I want to read the actual exchange, not the paraphrasing done by a second party.

Nick is trumptman.
post #18 of 43
Quote:

Who's Nick?

Nick is trump. It's his name.

I can't find the full context, but he was talking about letting tax cuts expire for those earning over $250k. Not a smart thing to say politically, but it's a decent point.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Nick is trump. It's his name.

I can't find the full context, but he was talking about letting tax cuts expire for those earning over $250k. Not a smart thing to say politically, but it's a decent point.

From the "Read more about the debate here" link at the end of the article:

http://www.wkrg.com/raw_news/article...2010_10-10-pm/
Quote:
The two often traded jokes, especially when Steele panned President Barack Obama's long-stated plan to let income tax rates return to higher levels for families making more than $250,000 a year.

"Trust me, after taxes, a million dollars is not a lot of money," Steele said.

Ford later asked the audience of mostly college students, "Who in here makes a million dollars a year?"

"How many of you want to make a million dollars a year?" Steele quickly responded when no hands were raised.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

From the "Read more about the debate here" link at the end of the article:

http://www.wkrg.com/raw_news/article...2010_10-10-pm/

Yep, read that. Still a paraphrase... Oh well...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #21 of 43
Quote:

...And why is everybody asking about the context?...

Because there is no context to your poll. (or to the quoted statements)

Is it 1M for the rest of your life?, 1M and still keep your job?, 1M/year?

That context has a HUGE effect on the perceived value of the million dollars.

Is 1M a lot to a college student?... hell yeah.
Is 1M a lot for a middle class American to retire on and live off for another 30 years?... Not nearly enough.

Is 1M as an annual salary HUGE?... certainly ... even Bill Gates could live on that without cramping the way he lives. (He'd just be able to DO less for others.)
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Because there is no context to your poll. (or to the quoted statements)

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but the fact that they are talking about people earning more than $250k per year absolutely puts it in context.
post #23 of 43
Quote:

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but the fact that they are talking about people earning more than $250k per year absolutely puts it in context.

Unless you have the actual quoted segment all you have is second hand paraphrased statements at best. That does not put a context that can be relied upon.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #24 of 43
You can always spend whatever amount you have, there is no such thing as a lot of money.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #25 of 43
Quote:

Unless you have the actual quoted segment all you have is second hand paraphrased statements at best. That does not put a context that can be relied upon.

The two often traded jokes, especially when Steele panned President Barack Obama's long-stated plan to let income tax rates return to higher levels for families making more than $250,000 a year.

Yet again turning denial into an art form. The context is fucking obvious! Steele was opposing the plan to let the rebates expire for very rich families. His obvious implication is that these people are not rich, because a million dollars is not a lot of money. He's not talking about a retirement nest egg, here!
post #26 of 43
Quote:

Yet again turning denial into an art form. The context is fucking obvious! Steele was opposing the plan to let the rebates expire for very rich families. His obvious implication is that these people are not rich, because a million dollars is not a lot of money. He's not talking about a retirement nest egg, here!

Denial of what? That you have the actual quoted context? I could give a rip who thinks what about $1 million. I have no dog in this fight. NONE. You have a paraphrase and that is all.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #27 of 43
Quote:

I know couples making around $250000/year who are house poor. After taxes and near 5-figure/month mortgages, there isn't much left over.
Those making considerably more are generally small business owners, whose business income can be taxed as personal income. Should their taxes go up $50K/year, what do you think will happen? Probably let go of an employee, or 2.
Why should high earners pay far more taxes than everyone else?
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I know couples making around $250000/year who are house poor.

Isn't it the conservative mindset to demand personal responsibility? I'm sorry, in this case I would agree with that assertion. If they are earning $250k a year and are "house poor" then they are absolute fucking morons with financial management.
post #29 of 43
Quote:

Isn't it the conservative mindset to demand personal responsibility? I'm sorry, in this case I would agree with that assertion. If they are earning $250k a year and are "house poor" then they are absolute fucking morons with financial management.

They are responsible. 'House poor' means they pretty much work to pay for their house. They actually par their mortgages, rather than rely on government handouts.
If you knew the cost of living and the property tax rates here, you might think differently.
post #30 of 43
Quote:

They are responsible. 'House poor' means they pretty much work to pay for their house. They actually par their mortgages, rather than rely on government handouts.
If you knew the cost of living and the property tax rates here, you might think differently.

I doubt he would... Too bad though, could have been a good thread.

I'm out...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #31 of 43
Quote:

To wrap yourself up in a mortgage for a house you can barely afford is idiotic financial management. They should have got something they could afford. If property taxes and the cost of living are beyond their means then move. That would be the responsible thing to do.
post #32 of 43
Quote:

To wrap yourself up in a mortgage for a house you can barely afford is idiotic financial management. They should have got something they could afford. If property taxes and the cost of living are beyond their means then move. That would be the responsible thing to do.

Both work for the government, want their children to go to good schools and be able to spend time with them, rather than 3 hours a day commuting. They bought houses knowing the market here goes up every year, and knowing they will be making more money in the near future. They are by no means rich, yet Obama would tax them even more.
post #33 of 43
Quote:

Both work for the government, want their children to go to good schools and be able to spend time with them, rather than 3 hours a day commuting. They bought houses knowing the market here goes up every year, and knowing they will be making more money in the near future. They are by no means rich, yet Obama would tax them even more.

So where is this mythical land where there are no lower-cost alternatives within 30 miles of their place of employment? I question the veracity of your assertion. It seems quite plainly that they want a bigger house than they can comfortably afford. I bet even within the exact same district they could find something smaller and less expensive.
post #34 of 43
Quote:

So where is this mythical land where there are no lower-cost alternatives within 30 miles of their place of employment? I question the veracity of your assertion. It seems quite plainly that they want a bigger house than they can comfortably afford. I bet even within the exact same district they could find something smaller and less expensive.

Where I live, miles are meaningless. Traffic dictates how long it takes to go somewhere, not distance. There are larger, cheaper houses in the area, but only 2 gated communities. If Obama decides to punish them with higher taxes, they may have to move.
post #35 of 43
Quote:

Oh, so they have the government jobs you want to cut.

And part of being responsible is making sure that you live in a house that you can afford. If you are paying a 5 figure mortgage, I have ZERO sympathy for how poor you feel. That's something they imposed on themselves by taking on such a retardedly high mortgage.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #36 of 43
Quote:

Oh, so they have the government jobs you want to cut.

And part of being responsible is making sure that you live in a house that you can afford. If you are paying a 5 figure mortgage, I have ZERO sympathy for how poor you feel. That's something they imposed on themselves by taking on such a retardedly high mortgage.

I never said anything about cutting defense jobs.

Housing in some areas costs what it costs. They didn't get a sweetheart mortgage deal like many prominent Dems. I'm sure a similar house in the rust belt would only be a fraction of the cost. Differences in cost of living is why Obama is foolish to say anyone making over $250 is rich.
post #37 of 43
I live in California in a pretty big city that has some of the highest housing costs around. For a normal, non-extravagant home, maybe...MAYBE you'll go as high as 3k a month. 10k a month is retarded plan and simple. Mind describing this home? Square footage? Bedrooms/bathrooms? How large and how many flat screen TVs? Gated neighborhood? Make and model of cars they drive?

And ahh, defense jobs...the pork that Republicans can't stop eating up.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #38 of 43
Quote:

Where I live, miles are meaningless. Traffic dictates how long it takes to go somewhere, not distance. There are larger, cheaper houses in the area, but only 2 gated communities. If Obama decides to punish them with higher taxes, they may have to move.

So there you have it. They could easily get a cheaper house. But they feel "entitled" to live in a gated community. And if Obama (God forbid!) should restore their taxes to Bush I levels, they may have to move!

Amazing.
post #39 of 43
Quote:

Going to have to agree with you there.

Quote:

I never said anything about cutting defense jobs.

Housing in some areas costs what it costs. They didn't get a sweetheart mortgage deal like many prominent Dems. I'm sure a similar house in the rust belt would only be a fraction of the cost. Differences in cost of living is why Obama is foolish to say anyone making over $250 is rich.

And I'll have to agree with that, too.

Quote:

So there you have it. They could easily get a cheaper house. But they feel "entitled" to live in a gated community. And if Obama (God forbid!) should restore their taxes to Bush I levels, they may have to move!

Amazing.

And another "agree" on that one. I don't support the increase for a lot of reasons, but I also don't believe this couple just can't find a nice home in a decent neighborhood under $10K a month. Assume $1,000 per month for mortgage and taxes per $100K. That means they have a $1,000,000 mortgage? Wow.
post #40 of 43
Tonton, chime in here with your Hong Kong-e-ness on housing costs.

BR knows this a bit as well. The reality is that in most places where the land is limited either due to geography or government mandate for open space, the housing costs climb radically and quickly.

Does $10k US sound like a lot to pay for a mortgage? Sure it does but garaging a car in parts of NY City costs more than most folks spend on a mortgage in the rest of the U.S. as well. You get toward the coasts and costs skyrocket.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Is a million dollars a lot of money?