or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype

App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype

post #1 of 82
The number of new projects started for the App Store nearly tripled in January, as the month was dominated by hype for and the announcement of Apple's iPad.

Flurry Analytics on Friday released its latest edition of the "Smartphone Industry Pulse" for January 2010. The mobile analysis firm, which has tracking data in over 20,000 mobile applications, said developers integrating Flurry analytics into iPhone OS applications in January increased nearly three times over December's total.

With more than 1,600 new applications with Flurry started in January, compared to under 600 in December, the start of 2010 represented the largest surge in application starts in the history of the analysis firm's tracking.

"As such, we hypothesize that excitement generated by Apple's iPad event in January is driving this growth," the firm said. "For developers who get a jump on customizing their applications for the iPad, there may be an opportunity to stand out early on, and earn more downloads."

Apple revealed at its iPad event that there are more than 140,000 applications available on its mobile App Store. That software will be compatible with the iPad when it debuts at the end of March.

But developers will also be able to create new, iPad-specific applications that take advantage of the multitouch device and its 9.7-inch screen.

While the App Store saw a huge increase, new Android applications grew about 25 percent in January, continuing a steady ramp for Google's mobile platform. However, Apple's App Store spike helped to push it even further ahead of Android.

"While Android's steady new application growth over the second half of 2009 closed the gap against the iPhone, reaching as many as one out of every three new application starts within Flurry for December, the recent spike in Apple iPad support has swung the pendulum back in Apple's favor to a level not seen at Flurry in six months," the report said. "The unprecedented surge in support for iPad is a positive early indicator for its commercial potential."
post #2 of 82
Hey Bill Gates ....... would this appear as nothing to get excited about? Apparently other people think it is. It's all about the simplicity. No flip open screen, no stylus, no mouse, trackpad, keyboard, antenna etc etc etc.
post #3 of 82
The iPad is doomed!
post #4 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The iPad is doomed!

Funny! As soon as it gets out in the 'wild' and everyone is seeing the iPad...they will want one! I think this could be the biggest 'halo' product yet! Bigger than the iPod(s) or iPhone.

Perfect setup: 27" iMac, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, Time Capsule and AppleTV.

I have it all but a 20" iMac (original intel), no Time Capsule and obviously no iPad-Yet!
post #5 of 82
But I thought all interest had been lost?
post #6 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

Hey Bill Gates ....... would this appear as nothing to get excited about? Apparently other people think it is. It's all about the simplicity. No flip open screen, no stylus, no mouse, trackpad, keyboard, antenna etc etc etc.

i think one has to read between the lines - "not interesting" from bill gates means "we don't know why because we don't have quite the brains to grasp it, but we'll copy it as well as we can, and still try to make a profit from it, even if we don't get its actual value"
post #7 of 82
Apps are the killer app!
We should see lots of new apps that just weren't feasible on the iPhone's smaller screen.
post #8 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

But I thought all interest had been lost?

iWithdrawal, that's all.

Not surprised at the increased interest. There is nothing like the iPad currently on the market (not even the iPad itself.. ), but Apple better be thinking ahead to keep its lead.
post #9 of 82
Even though the iPad will run iPhone OS, there are things developers will be able to do on it that can't be done on the iPhone and iPod touch. iWork for iPad proves it.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #10 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apps are the killer app!
We should see lots of new apps that just weren't feasible on the iPhone's smaller screen.

Assassin's Creed 3 console-style FTW!

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #11 of 82
According to the pundits, the iPad will be a dud because it's just a larger iPod Touch. That logic seems ridiculous to me given the success of the Touch. I mean, what idiot concludes that the 27" iMac will be a dud because it's just a larger version of the highly successful 20"?

Someone help me out here. Isn't the 17" MBP just a larger version of the 13" MBP?
post #12 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Assassin's Creed 3 console-style FTW!

I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy myself

post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

iWithdrawal, that's all.

Not surprised at the increased interest. There is nothing like the iPad currently on the market (not even the iPad itself.. ), but Apple better be thinking ahead to keep its lead.

I'm sure that they are already working on the 2G.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #14 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

iWithdrawal, that's all.

The iBlackBoard?
Then you can really bump your iPad off it, Avatar style, and get your homework assignments.
post #15 of 82
To be fair, this makes perfect sense and really isn't all that surprising.

I'm guessing that the app store developer interest hit a plateau a long time ago. The iPhone, as great as it is, has a number of basic limitations. You simply can't get around the screen size. I've seen a number of very innovative work arounds, but the fact is, it has had a fixed screen resolution since day one.

Now that that core component has changed, I'm not surprised that many other groups have become interested in the OS.
post #16 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The iPad is doomed!

And later when it starts selling as quoted from Steve Ballmer: "Its a rounding error."
post #17 of 82
I had hoped that someone who is on my ignore list was gone from AI, but alas I'm mistaken.
post #18 of 82
[CENTER]Started 'Apps' hardly mean completed, desirable, or successful 'Apps'.

We'll See Soon Enough...[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

And later when it starts selling as quoted from Steve Ballmer: "Its a rounding error."

Steve Ballmer's existence is a rounding error.

post #20 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

The iBlackBoard?
Then you can really bump your iPad off it, Avatar style, and get your homework assignments.

some people laugh, but this is the sort of thing that will help the ipad. there are a lot of apps that work okay on the iphone and the touch that will be great on the larger screen. ebooks particularly etextbooks being one.

and yes it is possible that some tech savvy school in a generation or two will have the kids decked out with ipads and have them linked up to an electronic 'blackboard'.

same with businesses for meetings, hospitals with a central computer system for patient records, relaying med orders to the pharmacy, etc.

the ipad is making folks ask the question 'how crazy can we get with this thing' in ways no other device has. Some of it will stick, some won't. Some will make other companies want to compete (which is still a win in its own way).

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #21 of 82
We need to be careful here about what data Flurry is giving us.

The data does NOT say that 3 times as many new apps/projects are being started - only that 3X using Flurry.

Now this is still a significant thing, and surely there is some correlation among new Flurry apps and new apps in general. However, what if Flurry only represented 5% of all apps and suddenly many more developers decided to use their services. It would be easy to see that while Flurry saw a huge increase, the overall increase would be much different.

We will know for sure when we reach 200,000 apps. Also when we see just how many iPad apps there are at launch.

-------
BTW - anyone taking bets on 1M units sold in first 3 days?
post #22 of 82
I think Flurry was the company that reported about those mysterios iPhone OS 3.2 sightings before iPad announcement? Had anyone ever heard them before that? That extra publicity could easily explain the interest towards their services, in stead of iPad!
post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

The data does NOT say that 3 times as many new apps/projects are being started - only that 3X using Flurry.

Now this is still a significant thing, and surely there is some correlation among new Flurry apps and new apps in general. However, what if Flurry only represented 5% of all apps and suddenly many more developers decided to use their services. It would be easy to see that while Flurry saw a huge increase, the overall increase would be much different.

We will know for sure when we reach 200,000 apps. Also when we see just how many iPad apps there are at launch.

-------

Good post.

I think it'll take 3 weeks to sell 1M.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Funny! As soon as it gets out in the 'wild' and everyone is seeing the iPad...they will want one! I think this could be the biggest 'halo' product yet! Bigger than the iPod(s) or iPhone.

Perfect setup: 27" iMac, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, Time Capsule and AppleTV.

almost right, except for the time capsule and apple tv. thiose things have much better alternatives out there.
post #25 of 82
Quote:

The iBlackBoard?

Are you still here?
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
post #26 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post

almost right, except for the time capsule and apple tv. thiose things have much better alternatives out there.

Who else offers a solution for wireless backups? Because obviously I haven't done my homework.
post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good post.

That seems more likely. I dunno that they're going to have 1M units at launch.

I want one but still debating getting one at launch or waiting for the next gen. I guess that depends on if I'm actually going to work on apps for sale or just tinker with the platform...in which case the simulator will be fine for now.

I really wish they had java on the thing...
post #28 of 82
Quote:

Who else offers a solution for wireless backups? Because obviously I haven't done my homework.

HP Media Smart running Windows Home Server can back up the Time Machine sparse bundle. I think DaHarder writes their learning center hehe.
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hho/cache/...0-225-121.html Apple needs a home server. The Time Capsule is okay, but way to limited in space. I envision a device that is pretty much an iPad's HW and OS. I think this would outsell the iPad in its first year. Apple has all the parts already, they just need to create a browser-based UI for it and package it together.
post #29 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

This article reminded me of another Ballmer quote:
"developers, developers, developers, developers..."
post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy myself

Whoa ... I totally never even thought of that!

edit: I'm sure Nintendo would not allow it though ... what with it being on the Wii download thing.
post #31 of 82
Quote:

HP Media Smart running Windows Home Server can back up the Time Machine sparse bundle. I think DaHarder writes their learning center hehe.
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hho/cache/...0-225-121.html Apple needs a home server. The Time Capsule is okay, but way to limited in space. I envision a device that is pretty much an iPad's HW and OS. I think this would outsell the iPad in its first year. Apple has all the parts already, they just need to create a browser-based UI for it and package it together.

Is it a router, too? It offers some nice functionality. But @ $699, it's hardly a bargain. The Time Capsule offers 500 G more space and is $200 cheaper (and probably is 20 times smaller... if space matters to you).

Nice server though, should compete well with the Mac mini server.
post #32 of 82
Quote:

Good post.

It be quicker, but also may be 6 weeks or more. It's hard to tell how the sales will go. I'd say it'll eventually take off either way.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

-------

People should also keep in mind that this data was for January (Which is January 1st to 31st just in case that wasn't clear enough). The iPad was announced on January 27th. These numbers are in theory based on iPad hype. A lot of people were (rightfully or wrongfully) disappointed. The more telling numbers will be February. I fully expect the iPad to have great developer support, but these numbers will likely drop in February.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

Are you still here?

No just my Avatar self.
post #35 of 82
Quote:

Is it a router, too? It offers some nice functionality. But @ $699, it's hardly a bargain. The Time Capsule offers 500 G more space and is $200 cheaper (and probably is 20 times smaller... if space matters to you).

Nice server though, should compete well with the Mac mini server.

Let's go back to your comment "Who else offers a solution for wireless backups? Because obviously I haven't done my homework." You didn't append "with an integrated router." That is a nice aspect of the Time Capsule and it serves its purpose well, albeit in a very limited scope, but it does not address the growing need for redundant home backups.

Plus, the Time Capsule is a single drive. The only way you have redundancy is if your files are all kept on your Macs first and foremost. RAIDed home servers allow you to have a centralized repository for your media for all machines. Most home servers have multiple drives. The one you claim is $699 has 4 bays, though it's odd that you ignore HP's cheapest option for under $400.

We haven't even got into the benefits of Windows Home Server. Possibly the most thought out version of Windows MS has ever made.
post #36 of 82
Quote:

No just my Avatar self.

If you can find a way to go to Pandora I'll pay for it.
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It be quicker, but also may be 6 weeks or more. It's hard to tell how the sales will go. I'd say it'll eventually take off either way.

Have you warmed up to it? Are you getting one? Any word of an Apple Store opening near you this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

People should also keep in mind that this data was for January (Which is January 1st to 31st just in case that wasn't clear enough). The iPad was announced on January 27th. These numbers are in theory based on iPad hype.

Good point, or even iPhone v4.0 rumour hype.
post #38 of 82
Quote:

I'm with ya Soli at 3 days.... IF there are actually that many to be had at launch.

Regardless, expect long lines... and somewhere north of a mil. on back/pre-order within days of the official release date.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #39 of 82
Just wanted to add, that I don't think Apple is going to be able to keep up with demand through the entire year. Once school-buying time comes around, it's gonna get seriously crazy!
post #40 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I'm with ya Soli at 3 days.... IF there are actually that many to be had at launch.

Regardless, expect long lines... and somewhere north of a mil. on back/pre-order within days of the official release date.

Is that a typo or are you with jimmx? There is evidence to suggest this will be extremely popular, at least in some fields and in some countries. I was going by US only sales, but if they sell to multiple countries at once then 3M in 3 days could happen. But isn't their estimate 4M in the first year?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype