or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Amazon may compete with Apple iPad by giving away free Kindles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon may compete with Apple iPad by giving away free Kindles - Page 3

post #81 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Apple does it as an annual event, not a one-time deal and they do it to get rid of old inventory to make room for new products. Also, they do it as a marketing reason, not to compete with or stop people from buying a competitors device, they already have market share. Amazon is doing as last ditch effort to grow their numbers and keep people using the Kindle. You really can't compare the two initiatives.

You contradict yourself. Amazon is doing it as a marketing reason as well. Nothing more, nothing less. THE Amazon Kindle market is so loosely related to the iPads, you are totally clueless. Kindle is an eReader, SPECIFICALLY, and a extremely good one at that. Kindle customers don't want Games and Farts on their Kindles. Anyone who has ever used a Kindle understands its a basically a book & newspaper replacement only. Why AI keeps spinning this a some kind of doom for Kindle makes absolutely no sense. Sure some people will now buy an iPad but to think its going to kill and put Kindle out of business is so totally absurd. Most book readers could care less about People and US magazine on their Kindle
post #82 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

You contradict yourself. Amazon is doing it as a marketing reason as well. Nothing more, nothing less. THE Amazon Kindle market is so loosely related to the iPads, you are totally clueless. Kindle is an eReader, SPECIFICALLY, and a extremely good one at that. Kindle customers don't want Games and Farts on their Kindles. Anyone who has ever used a Kindle understands its a basically a book & newspaper replacement only. Why AI keeps spinning this a some kind of doom for Kindle makes absolutely no sense. Sure some people will now buy an iPad but to think its going to kill and put Kindle out of business is so totally absurd. Most book readers could care less about People and US magazine on their Kindle

i see the single single lonely un married sad looking kindle readers on the subway
today


next week

i will see hordes of smiling lovely happy sexy ipad readers on the subways and ferries
because books are golden
ipad is extra golden
kindle is fire wood
aaple is love
gm is .60 cents a share
who knew ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #83 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

"Competing" isn't giving away free Kindles. Competing is offering a superior product for the price.

Amazon doesn't have the resources to develop a tablet, so if they truly want to compete with e-readers, they'll have to make Kindle even better (color?) and cheaper for everyone. They already hold the title for cheap media prices, so at least they have that going for them...

-Clive

For the price of $0, Kindle would be superior product. What is Apple - or anyone else - offering in that price range?
post #84 of 93
I've never really considered buying a Kindle and the iPad doesn't appeal to me, either, despite being a devoted Apple consumer for more than a decade. That said, I've been a "Prime" subscriber for two years, so if Amazon decides to give me a Kindle, sure I'll take it. Might even encourage me to get back into reading.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Reply
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Reply
post #85 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

For the price of $0, Kindle would be superior product. What is Apple - or anyone else - offering in that price range?

its a cult thing

koolaid ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #86 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

True, up to a point -- but predatory pricing is a pretty specific concept, not just being aggressive in a market. In order to show that pricing is predatory, it has to be proven that competition in a market has been harmed, or is likely to be harmed. It has to be a sustained effort clearly designed to force a competitor out or keep one from getting in. It's a very difficult claim to prove. If it wasn't, then just about every "two for the price of one" promotion could be called predatory pricing.

The $9.99 price point for new ebooks was definitely predatory. Losing $5 per book means that B&N and all other ebook sellers would have to match without the benefit of Amazon's other extensive revenues from sales of non-book items. There's a reason that the major book publishers revolted.

Giving away Kindles is simply desperation to stay relevant in terms of hardware and also try to kill the nook. Kinda predatory there but the nook was likely dead anyway due to the ipad.
post #87 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually they are not. Clearly they could care less about the hardware as long as users still continue to buy the content through Amazon.

They are scared because that is now in doubt. Rather than beating the crap out of B&N (and everyone else) with $9.99 titles Apple just leveled the playing field for both iBooks and B&N by not even producing a product yet.

Now the nook is a real competitor for the 2nd place ebook reader.
post #88 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

For the price of $0, Kindle would be superior product. What is Apple - or anyone else - offering in that price range?

You'd be surprised how many people would be willing to pay for something that isn't crap.

Amazon can yap about content all they want. If the hardware doesn't excite and fascinate, free is meaningless.

Linux distros are free, too.
post #89 of 93
You all make it sound as though there's this huge rivalry brewing between Apple and Amazon. Please remember that Amazon is the second largest seller of Apple goods online, next to the Apple Store. Furthermore, if Apple really wanted to stick it to Amazon they would've rejected the Kindle Reader app from the App Store a long time ago. The Apple/Amazon relationship will continue to thrive despite the coming competition between them in the e-book market.
post #90 of 93
I just hope we get to a point where Apple will be forced to support other book stores on the iPad, or at the very least ebooks from other sources. As much as I like the iTunes store I do like the idea of choice.

At the same time paper books still offer a sense of something real and not being locked in to yet another company's platform. I can lend a friend a book, and require any special or compatible hardware to use, or within the framework of any 'broken' DRM. If at least some of those issues can be resolved then I might just give eBooks another glance.
post #91 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I just hope we get to a point where Apple will be forced to support other book stores on the iPad, or at the very least ebooks from other sources. As much as I like the iTunes store I do like the idea of choice.

At the same time paper books still offer a sense of something real and not being locked in to yet another company's platform. I can lend a friend a book, and require any special or compatible hardware to use, or within the framework of any 'broken' DRM. If at least some of those issues can be resolved then I might just give eBooks another glance.

books are cheap to make
but making 100.000 copies of a book that bombs is a waste if paper
so watch apple
within 3 rs apple will offer for a small fee <<$3 bucks >>?? with every ebook purchase >>>
APPLE will send you a hard copy /
and soon enough if you buy a hard cover book in WALDENS you will also get an ipad/itunes version free .

i hope the drm stuff is not true
that sucks
books are made to share to a small circle of buddies

peace
bruce
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #92 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

You all make it sound as though there's this huge rivalry brewing between Apple and Amazon. Please remember that Amazon is the second largest seller of Apple goods online, next to the Apple Store. Furthermore, if Apple really wanted to stick it to Amazon they would've rejected the Kindle Reader app from the App Store a long time ago. The Apple/Amazon relationship will continue to thrive despite the coming competition between them in the e-book market.

APPLE AMAZON HAVE A LARGE CRIOSS BIZ GOING ON RIGHT NOW
that said apple and amazon are mortal enemies
the ipad with its fantastic color screen and large app store and multi media book extra's can take amazon book buyers and keep them forever. KEEP THEM FOREVER WITH better books at a cheaper price
apple will even offer thousand's of free podcast style type books
and mom can email you while you browse your NYT times SUNDAY PAPER
A dagger right to the heart of the jungle guys
apple can also offer nice soothing music <<hendrix >> in the back ground while you read
and you can down load the movie once the book is read !!!
can amazon offer the app store itunes world ??
warehouses are not forever
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #93 of 93
Apple has a digital store to drive hardware sales.
Amazon gives away hadware for free to drive digital store sales.
Very peculiar..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Amazon may compete with Apple iPad by giving away free Kindles