or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series

MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series - Page 4

post #121 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

...At least this bloody thing works on Verizon so I might be able to complete a phone call for the first time in nearly two years. Thats kinda important to some of us Mr. Apple.

Exaggerate much?
post #122 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

See how long it takes before they get sued by BMW

haha i dont think BMWs name patent extends to Mobile Phones so they probably couldnt do anything.
post #123 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

I just love how those buttons don't appear entirely on the screen. And some of the word titles too. I mean, are these guys trying to fuck our brains on purpose or what? They try to be "trendy" and "vry kewl" but it's just BAD design, period.

Considering the hardware and software are not goig to be released until "Holiday 2010", the pix in the article are simply mock-ups of what they plan on doing.
post #124 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

As far as i knew MS is supporting HTML 5 but its a double edged sword seeing as how it can kill off Silverlight.

MS has already started as some features of HTML5 to IE. More are coming as well as a truly competitive browser and JS engines.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/20/i...html5-support/ They won't implement everything, especially if it interferes with their Silverlight goals, like Canvas, but the video tag should be there.

Quote:
Nothing had really been announced that WM7 will or wont support Flash or silverlight. Its got 9 months till release so heres hoping Flash is gonna be there

The Zune doesn't support Flash so that is the initial reason why WinMo 7 doesn't. It'll likely come but Adobe has its hands full with multiple versions of multiple mobile OSes trying to get Flash 10.1 right now. Adobe will likely announce it before WinMo 7 goes live.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #125 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I think Apple would be wise to look at the Home Page of the iPhone and over a similar type of Live Update facility. It would be useful to see how many emails, IM's, Texts, Phone calls etc, without having all the individual Apps required at the moment. More integration of contact info as well.

Apple can always learn from others and improve.

When I unlock my phone, I already see how many new texts, phone calls, emails, IMs I have simply by being on my home page. There's nothing new here.
post #126 of 449
Well, it looks different from the iPhone, which is no bad thing. Hard to tell how it will run from some slides but it looks pretty good.

I have 2 mobiles, one for personal use (iphone 3gs) and one for work (LG). I quite fancy replacing the work phone with a new win 7 handset if even just for Xbox Live.
post #127 of 449
Using Zune style is pretty smart, since Zune had such monumental success in the industry. By now everyone has one so everyone knows how to use it.

"not"
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #128 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Wow a whole two years and you haven't completed a phone call for the first time... I'll give you credit... you are a very patient person. However, some might wonder why you haven't returned your phone, canceled your att and gotten with another carrier and phone that meets your needs... making a phone call. I mean there is beating a dead horse and then there is beating a dead horse... time to know when that puppy is dead! Other people will say, "Here's your sign!".

Couldn't agree more. Time to fix the problem. Open the iPhone and iPad to all carriers. Other companies do it. It's high time.
post #129 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Exaggerate much?

No sir. Ask anyone in the New York area.
post #130 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heil68 View Post

Can't wait to try this out. Looks like a vastly improved product.

It does look like a vastly improved product.

But, is it too little, too late? End of 2010 availability, with Apple expected to release a new revision of the iPhone, for sale, in June?

It has potential, but MS failure to execute in the mobile world for so long... I don't trust them to deliver a working product, nor for that product to work 'as advertised' today.

Just another example of MS F.U.D.
post #131 of 449
I'll bet a billion apps that Apple's momentum is going to continue despite this release...
post #132 of 449
Quote:

When I unlock my phone, I already see how many new texts, phone calls, emails, IMs I have simply by being on my home page. There's nothing new here.

That isn't quite the same thing. They are looking for a way to have them all in the same place in a Notifications area. This is the most lacking on the iPhone. We should be able to see an inline history of all notifications that we can search through.

Every now and then i hit the wrong button and the notification goes away before I have time to read it. If it's not a text message I may never find out what it was because the apps tied to the Push Notification service don't necessarily show a number of unread messages, but even if they did having to search through every home page to find the one app with the right message is not user friendly.

WebOS and Android do a great job with this but I think Apple could do it better using features that iPhone OS already has built in.
post #133 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

See how long it takes before they get sued by BMW

Mr. Ballmer, I know 7 series and this, sir, is no 7 Series.
post #134 of 449
Marketing mock-ups and spec documents. MS trying to stay in the game long enough to actually ship a useable product - or rather their 'partners'.

Wake me up when I can actually experience the magic for myself, (after iPhone OS4, iPhone 4 and iPad of course)

By the way there's no multitasking for 3rd Party apps or support for Flash - though I suspect Adobe will be on the HTML/Javascript bandwagon by then.
post #135 of 449
Quote:

Ok, I'll look in the mirror and ask myself. I can certainly make and complete phone calls on my iPhone without dropping them. Yes, I drop a few here and there, but no more than I did with Vagizin. Saying you haven't made a call in 2 years is nothing but an exaggeration. No one in their right mind would have put up with such a problem for so long.
post #136 of 449
I thought Apple patented multitouch?

Hardware looks nice, software is terrible. Oh well. Could have been nice. But it's not.
post #137 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Well, it looks different from the iPhone, which is no bad thing.

Is that because you believe that looking different is a Good Thing(TM) in and of itself or that you don't think that the iPhone's design is good? I only ask because I read some reviewer saying that he was "tired of the iPhone's interface", after about a year and welcomed something new, the implication being that people should replace their computer/phone/MP3 player on a regular basis to avoid being 'bored' by its interface.
post #138 of 449
Quote:

Hey, while I agree that Metro NY area AT&T coverage sucks. Thats AT&Ts problem, not really Apples.

Now, I wish Apple had chosen a different carrier - any other carrier than AT&T, I can see how they arrived at the choice of AT&T for US.

OK, looking for a US carrier...

1.) Must Run GSM, because, you know, we'd like to sell this in countries other than the US without creating billions of versions of the hardware.

I pick... AT&T and... T-Mobile....

2.) Must have a strong nationwide presence.
3.) Must have data capacity that is compatible with world standards.

That leaves.. AT&T, sorry T-Mobile (to small, and wrong data spectrum).

So, we get... AT&T. Which really sucks.
post #139 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS has already started as some features of HTML5 to IE. More are coming as well as a truly competitive browser and JS engines.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/20/i...html5-support/ They won't implement everything, especially if it interferes with their Silverlight goals, like Canvas, but the video tag should be there.

The Zune doesn't support Flash so that is the initial reason why WinMo 7 doesn't. It'll likely come but Adobe has its hands full with multiple versions of multiple mobile OSes trying to get Flash 10.1 right now. Adobe will likely announce it before WinMo 7 goes live.

True, have you seen the video of the new WinMo7 running? Can definitely use some more polish and the browser was slower than that of my Zune HD. Browser is show around minute 4

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/w...ions/#comments
post #140 of 449
Quote:

That isn't quite the same thing. They are looking for a way to have them all in the same place in a Notifications area. This is the most lacking on the iPhone. We should be able to see an inline history of all notifications that we can search through...

Having only 4 pages of apps, I can already see what I need to see simply by being on the home page. So, to me, having an inline history of all notifications is really not bringing all that much to the table. I understand your point and I always welcome the tweaks and enhancements that come down the pike, but this feature doesn't do all that much for me. That's not to say i couldn't be convinced otherwise.
post #141 of 449
So let me get this straight: MS puts telephone capability into Zune software, doesn't incorporate Flash or multitasking (two of the things Apple-haters have been hammering the iPhone and the forthcoming iPad for lately), AND the whole thing won't ship for another 9 to 10 months (provided it doesn't get behind schedule, as is typical with MS), and THIS is supposed to be "innovation"?!? Seriously?

Color me unimpressed as well.
post #142 of 449
Quote:

herp derp Apple zealots will blast new WinMo 7 without even trying it...just like Windows 7 lol.

Hmm.. "Apple zealots" coming from someone with a handle of "iFail", you wouldn't by chance be TROLLING, would you? The only thing worse than a fanboy is a fanboy of the opposite persuasion, calling out the other side. Give us a freakin' break, and quit embarrassing yourself.

Contrary to your misguided proclamation, this noted "Apple nutswinger" thinks MS has a great-looking product here with real potential to succeed. It's a bold move to have dumped everything and started from scratch, and an absolute necessity for WinMo7 (a much better name IMHO than the hideously long moniker they chose) to be successful in the current market. Competition is good, bring it on. Now if Ballmer would just realize that they need to do the same thing with Windows - start with a clean sheet of paper, while perhaps continuing parallel support of Win7 for some period - then he might really be onto something.
post #143 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

So let me get this straight: MS puts telephone capability into Zune software, doesn't incorporate Flash or multitasking (two of the things Apple-haters have been hammering the iPhone and the forthcoming iPad for lately), AND the whole thing won't ship for another 9 to 10 months (provided it doesn't get behind schedule, as is typical with MS), and THIS is supposed to be "innovation"?!? Seriously?

Color me unimpressed as well.

Let me set you straight: Apple takes telephone capability out of the iPhone software, doesn't incorporate Flash or multitasking (two of the things Apple-haters have been hammering the iPhone and the forthcoming iPad for lately), AND the whole thing won't ship for another 2 or 3 months (provided it doesn't get behind schedule), and THIS is supposed to be "innovation"?!? Seriously?

Color me unimpressed with the 'Pad as well.
post #144 of 449
Quote:

Ok, I'll look in the mirror and ask myself. I can certainly make and complete phone calls on my iPhone without dropping them. Yes, I drop a few here and there, but no more than I did with Vagizin. Saying you haven't made a call in 2 years is nothing but an exaggeration. No one in their right mind would have put up with such a problem for so long.

Yes, your right. I should have thrown good money after bad and bought myself out of my contract.

I have taken you guys off topic, this is supposed to be a discussion about Microsoft, not AT&T. I was just pointing out that the Windows 7 phone is open to multiple carriers as the iPhone should be.

But that would be wrong. You all think the current business model is best so I will accept your opinions and have my mind examined. I'll call for an appointment right away. If I can get a signal.
post #145 of 449
Quote:

I'll give you 0/10 for your trolling attempts sir.

You have 298 posts, and I'll bet that if I wasted the time to look at them, they would consist of 298 trolling attempts. And based on what little drivel I've seen from you in this thread, I'm quite sure you've failed 298 times.
post #146 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

You have 298 posts, and I'll bet that if I wasted the time to look at them, they would consist of 298 trolling attempts. And based on what little drivel I've seen from you in this thread, I'm quite sure you've failed 298 times.

Har! He owns you!
post #147 of 449
I think MS is mostly doing this to improve those comically embarrassing JS speed graphs. They seem tepid at best about supporting much else. I think ultimately they will be forced to come along. Webkit dominates the mobile web and developers are going to take advantage of its abilities. Seeing as MS has no problem with shooting themselves in the foot, to kill their own product. Hopefully they are learning from past failure.

I guess that's true WP will be an open platform and the ball with be in Adobe's court to support the platform. Adapting Flash to all of these platforms is a tall order, its difficult to see how they can do it.

Quote:

They won't implement everything, especially if it interferes with their Silverlight goals, like Canvas, but the video tag should be there.

post #148 of 449
Quote:

Hmm.. "Apple zealots" coming from someone with a handle of "iFail", you wouldn't by chance be TROLLING, would you? The only thing worse than a fanboy is a fanboy of the opposite persuasion, calling out the other side. Give us a freakin' break, and quit embarrassing yourself.

Contrary to your misguided proclamation, this noted "Apple nutswinger" thinks MS has a great-looking product here with real potential to succeed. It's a bold move to have dumped everything and started from scratch, and an absolute necessity for WinMo7 (a much better name IMHO than the hideously long moniker they chose) to be successful in the current market. Competition is good, bring it on. Now if Ballmer would just realize that they need to do the same thing with Windows - start with a clean sheet of paper, while perhaps continuing parallel support of Win7 for some period - then he might really be onto something.

u mad dog? Im no fanboy of anything other than 360 and Modern Warfare 2. I own 2 Macs, a hackintosh with Win 7 ultimate, PS3, and use a BlackBerry Bold...so id say im about as neutral as they come. I'll use any product that is good suffice to say.

WM7 is the leap that the iPhone brought in 07 with a fresh and crisp UI. Browser looks weak and MS isnt really touching on Multi-tasking (its there, but i like being able to switch apps like my BB, not go home then have the app pop up where it was). MIX should bring some interesting news, along with June and Apples inevitable announcement of the 4th Gen iPhone and OS4
post #149 of 449
Quote:

-9000/10 on all your 35 posts, now why do you add something constructive instead of trying to call me a troll you twat
post #150 of 449
Quote:

Yes, your right. I should have thrown good money after bad and bought myself out of my contract.

I have taken you guys off topic, this is supposed to be a discussion about Microsoft, not AT&T. I was just pointing out that the Windows 7 phone is open to multiple carriers as the iPhone should be.

But that would be wrong. You all think the current business model is best so I will accept your opinions and have my mind examined. I'll call for an appointment right away. If I can get a signal.

If your service was that bad, I think AT&T would have let you out of your contract. When I bought the 3G in July of '08, I could barely get 3G and my iPhone would always drop calls when switching from Edge to 3G and vice-versa. Before the 30 days was over, I returned my iPhone, cancelled my contract, and went back to Verizon. In my own experience, both AT&T and Apple were surprisingly accommodating. It wasn't until February of '09 that I gave them another try. As for throwing good money after bad, a $175 cancellation feed would still be preferential to having no service. I never said that the current business model was best. I would love for another carrier to get the iPhone. All the AT&T haters can then go switch and those of us who are happy with AT&T can stay. Everybody wins. Don't be so melodramatic, we probably all need our heads examined for spending us much time as we do on these and other forums.
post #151 of 449
Quote:

u mad dog? Im no fanboy of anything other than 360 and Modern Warfare 2. I own 2 Macs, a hackintosh with Win 7 ultimate, PS3, and use a BlackBerry Bold...so id say im about as neutral as they come. I'll use any product that is good suffice to say.

WM7 is the leap that the iPhone brought in 07 with a fresh and crisp UI. Browser looks weak and MS isnt really touching on Multi-tasking (its there, but i like being able to switch apps like my BB, not go home then have the app pop up where it was). MIX should bring some interesting news, along with June and Apples inevitable announcement of the 4th Gen iPhone and OS4

Except.... WinMo7 isn't a leap beyond the current phones. Sure it has a marginally different interface metaphor, but so do the android platforms. Sure the new metaphor is more 'active' than icons, moto-blur anyone?

But WinMo7 on a device doesn't exist. And won't for 10 months?

Sure the interface looks slick in a PowerPoint presentation. But Apple hasn't delivered a 'new' iPhone in 2 years -- the GS was more of a .X release.

When I have the WinMo7 phone in my hands and I can evaluate responsiveness, taps to accomplish a given task (something Windows Pocket PC never mastered), battery life and cost. Then we can evaluate whether it is a 'leap'.

Until then, MS Windows 'Phone' is still just an also ran, and this announcement is just another load of hot air.
post #152 of 449
Quote:

Quote:

-9000/10 on all your 35 posts, now why do you add something constructive instead of trying to call me a troll you twat

This is reason why, I dislike this forum sometimes, name calling so childish! I read all four pages of this thread and you started name calling earlier on.
post #153 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes its been confirmed that WP 7 does not support Flash, of course anything is subject to change.

It won't support at launch, but will later according to MS and Adobe
post #154 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliason View Post

When I have the WinMo7 phone in my hands and I can evaluate responsiveness, taps to accomplish a given task (something Windows Pocket PC never mastered), battery life and cost. Then we can evaluate whether it is a 'leap'.

Until then, MS Windows 'Phone' is still just an also ran, and this announcement is just another load of hot air.

Would you also say that until you have an iPad in your hands, the iPad is still just an also ran, and that its announcement is just another load of hot air?

If not, then why not?
post #155 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

It won't support at launch, but will later according to MS and Adobe

So 8 months isn't enough time to get it ready for launch???
post #156 of 449
You gotta hand it to Microsoft here. Few could simplify an interface so much but still leave it so alien and confusing to the average user.
post #157 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Except.... WinMo7 isn't a leap beyond the current iphone. Sure it has a marginally different interface metaphor, but so do the android platforms. Sure the new metaphor is more 'active' than icons, moto-blur anyone?

But WinMo7 on a device doesn't exist. And won't for 10 months?

Sure the interface looks slick in a PowerPoint presentation. But Apple hasn't delivered a 'new' iPhone in 2 years -- the GS was more of a .X release.

Except this blow MotoBlur out the water.I also didnt say it leaped the iPhone but its UI is certainly the best looking in my eyes.

Have you seen the videos running in real-time? It looks pretty good, even with the placeholder stuff they have in there but its easy to tell there is still more work that needs to be done to polish it up.

The industry has been waiting for WinMo7 for years now, its poised to deliver currently. MIX is supposed to show a lot more next month. It will be nice to see how the phones are, since i hear MS partnered with QUALCOMM and the base processor for WM7 is the Snapdragon
post #158 of 449
Call me crazy, but the WinMo7 seems like a big, convoluted mess. Everything seems interconnected with everything else and it seems like you're inundated with all kinds of information that you may not necessarily be interested in seeing at that particular moment. Not for nothing, but when I want to see my Facebook updates, I'll go to my app and open it. I don't need to see every single update the instant they are posted, and certainly not when I'm trying to check my recent phone calls. It just seemed like too much mixed together. It'll be interesting to see what the next 8-9 months brings.
post #159 of 449
[CENTER]Absolutely Brilliant Microsoft Effort... Enough Said[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #160 of 449
22-minute walkthrough of the UI for those of you who chose to bash first and ask questions later:

http://gizmodo.com/5472166/an-epic-2...indows-phone-7
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series