or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series - Page 10

post #361 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's based on WinCE but with the UI thrown out, so existing CE apps aren't compatible.

Got a cite for this outlandish claim?
post #362 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure that is true with Windows Phone 7 Series (WP7S, even the initialism is a mouthful). MS looks to be tightening up what the OEMs can and can't do. MS may not care about an LCD v. OLED display but that isn't exactly a make it or break deal.

I'm not even sure that MS will allow a slide out keyboard for WP7S after looking at the demo and I think it would behoove them to start with a specific design with only a couple OEMs to make the device as solid as the Zune.

As for choices, there is such a thing as too much choice. Take the Nexus One, for example, the iPhone sold more units in one day, on the 4th UK carrier than the Nexus One sold worldwide in a week. Yet the Nexus One is clearly a much faster device with a higher rez display. Choice is great, but having an understanding of your market that makes customers feel safe with your products is extremely important. Too much change and too many options simply aren't good business.

I have read from various news sources that MS is willing to allow for a slide-out keyboard, but not the full-body BB form-factor. And I believe that it was mentioned in passing during that 22 minute walkthrough video too.

Understanding the local market is exactly the point. Lets say the local OEM knows that certain form-factors sell really well in their market area. They'll have the freedom to create those form-factor with the WP7S OS. They'll all have the same minimal hardware bar to meet and the same software inside. If one model has a slide-out keyboard and the other is touchscreen only, then they've provided options for both segments of the market for the same OS experience. Apple unified software, with Android form-factor options.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #363 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Got a cite for this outlandish claim?

Which part?
post #364 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Which part?

it's based no WinCE.
post #365 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If anyone is still on the fence about the new UI, I think short video pretty much sums up the experience in comparison to the iPhone:

http://gizmodo.com/5472235/windows-p...yline=true&s=i

The whole going into an app, then having to hit the Home button to go back -- rinse and repeat -- vs Microsoft's approach.

The video makes the point perfectly.

Does anyone else wonder how she doesn't get run over? Just walking down the street, listening to music, surfing her phone. Oh yeah she is getting hit.
post #366 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

it's based no WinCE.

You mean 'on WinCE' right?

http://www.google.com/

post #367 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

You mean 'on WinCE' right?

http://www.google.com/


Yes. Sorry for the typo. Do you have an cite for your claim that it is based on WinCE?
post #368 of 449
no one knows if its based on CE unless you work on the Microsoft team that developed this new software because none have spoken on this.
post #369 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Typography is done a certain way for a reason. Having a consistent place to "return" the eyes for the next line aids quick readability, breaking it up disrupts that. This isn't something that people made up, it's been tested. You've yet to give a reason why it should be otherwise.

[CENTER]Yes, I certainly have explained my personal situation numerous times:

My use of center justification is,

"Before I retired from the USAF I had an accident involving a hydrazine tank explosion that seriously impaired my vision. I center my posts so that they're easier for me to identify in a sea of (otherwise) blurry scribbles."

It's the manner in which I 'work around' my disability with the 'tools' made available to me.

If this forum is not receptive to such situations, then please just say so by adding it to the official forum rules, and I will act accordingly.

Additionally: If you, or anyone else, find my posts 'allegedly' difficult to read, then the most reasonable thing to do is PM me so that I can explain, and/or utilize the forum's [IGNORE] list.

Posting these kinds of inquiries/interrogations within the body of a thread is what truly results in disruptions, not anything having to do with topography/text formatting.

Note: This is the last I will ever post relating to this matter in the public section.

It's Really That Simple.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #370 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

no one knows if its based on CE unless you work on the Microsoft team that developed this new software because none have spoken on this.

No one has spoken on the record. It has been commonly assumed and MS has not spoken out against this assumption (not that they have to).

Given the resources MS has poured into WinCE over the years and the leaked information about Chelan, it is a fairly safe assumption that Windows Phone 7 Series will be based on a version of WinCE. Engadget seems to believe it will be WinCE 6.0, whereas other think it will be called WinCE 7.0.

You are right, no one knows for sure, but it would be a gigantic change in direction for MS to opt for an entirely new kernel that would further balkanize their offerings. The fact that existing apps will have to be reworked for the new OS will be a big enough challenge for developers.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #371 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

"Before I retired from the USAF I had an accident involving a hydrazine tank explosion that seriously impaired my vision. I center my posts so that they're easier for me to identify in a sea of (otherwise) blurry scribbles."

It's the manner in which I 'work around' my disability with the 'tools' made available to me.

I sympathize, but surely you are able to read left-justified posts somewhat well, for otherwise you would not be posting much at all!?
post #372 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]I center my posts so that they're easier for me to identify in a sea of (otherwise) blurry scribbles.

wouldn't the find function on your browser be just as fast, or faster, way to find your posts without being so exasperating to others?
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #373 of 449
If that design makes sense to anyone else out here please explain it.

I would never buy a product that intentionally designed the screen with intent to FORCE me to swipe and scroll across a "page" that exceeds the size of my screen like that.

I was almost insulted at the way the glossies were positioned the phone across the real estate. Is this supposed to be enticing?

Completely erase in your mind WHO designed this and just look at how comical this UI design is. Laughable. This HAS to be a joke.
post #374 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheadon View Post

If that design makes sense to anyone else out here please explain it.

I would never buy a product that intentionally designed the screen with intent to FORCE me to swipe and scroll across a "page" that exceeds the size of my screen like that.

I was almost insulted at the way the glossies were positioned the phone across the real estate. Is this supposed to be enticing?

Completely erase in your mind WHO designed this and just look at how comical this UI design is. Laughable. This HAS to be a joke.

[CENTER]Think of it this way:

The TEXT in this GUI (much as it appears on the ZUNE HD) is made larger so as to represent information that is without boundaries i.e. endlessly expansive data/media/possibilities.

The text runs off on the screen in a manner that incites/invites the users to embark upon further exploration rather than feel confined/limited to whatever is currently displayed on the screen.

Makes Sense... Yes?[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #375 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Think of it this way:

The TEXT in this GUI (much as it appears on the ZUNE HD) is made larger so as to represent information that is without boundaries i.e. endlessly expansive data/media/possibilities.

The text runs off on the screen in a manner that incites/invites the users to embark upon further exploration rather than feel confined/limited to whatever is currently displayed on the screen.

Makes Sense... Yes?[/CENTER]

I personally think this is a pretty ingeneous way of displaying more information than a pocketable screen size allows. One wide band of all the information related to the subject (apps, pictures, messages, etc), divided up into screen-width chucks that's easy to read an manage.

It's an extension and improvement of what the Android home screen is right now. 3, 5, or even 7 screens side-by-side with all the information that you want. As you scroll to the left or right, you'll notice the background shifts slightly in that direction.

I've always figured MS had something up their sleeves when they used this style on the ZHD. Like you said, it makes me want to scroll in the direction the text is cut off in to see what's there when it becomes revealed.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #376 of 449
have to wait and see how consumers actually respond to this WinMo 7 approach. is this "layers" UI approach optional? among many other things, can't tell yet how much users can customize it.

the popularity of the alternative Apple approach is proven however. you can load up your first-look home screen with 20 icons of anything you choose - apps, one touch phone number dialing, direct web page links. we all typically pick our most frequently used items, whatever category. and you can group stuff any way that makes sense to you on each of the other screens too.

moreover, some prefer the omnibus apps that aggregate multiple services' feeds into a single display. while others prefer the opposite, segregated apps that feature just one service but with more functions/depth. both approaches are valid, and there are iPhone apps for both. how those options work on WinMo 7 remains to be seen.

of course, both Google and MS want to sweep everyone into depending exclusively on their proprietary packages of cloud services. so they both will make those respectively uber-convenient to access as a single aggregated portal in their UI. whereas Apple has never really pushed MobileMe, and it is just a group of handy but non-essential logistical add-on apps with no social stuff at all. Apple is into media, not social. so they push you into iTunes instead. not the same.

so the head-on battle here really will be WinMo 7 vs. Android - cloud vs. cloud. both have varying strong zones and weak areas/omissions now. this will be interesting. bloodbath.

btw, given that Android is "free" and has a big head start, it is hard to envision how MS can charge more than a token amount - $1? - for WinMo 7 licenses.
post #377 of 449
The Wholesale Applications Community announced yesterday has to go down as the smartphone joke of the year. all the telcos are of course terrified of becoming nothing but "dumb pipes" losing all their lucrative over-priced mobile phone thingee sales. so they team up with the flailing Samsung and the failing Sony-Erricsson to create a new kind of app that they can still control/sell directly. yeah, sure, we need that!

missing of course are all the big guys with their own platforms/stores - Apple, RIM , Nokia, Google, MS. that must leave about - um - 5% of the market? or less ... i'm sure developers can't wait.

Samsung can afford this wild goose chase, but Sony can't. it's only a matter of time until the Sony-Erricson JV dissolves in a sea of red ink. and Samsung picks up the pieces?
post #378 of 449
Wait you don't like spending $1 per wallpaper or ringtone? And paying to get pics off your phone? What a weirdo! Nah, Ma Bell knows what's best so sit down and shut up. And you'll like it, too. Oh and would you care to buy another $20 phone charger with a differently-shaped friggin' end of the cord so you can't use it in any other phone, including all of our own other models?

Yeah I'm excited, it certainly does look like in the long term carriers are headed in the direction of being a dumb pipe like an ISP. What they should have always been. Thanks Apple and Google!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #379 of 449
It all comes down to execution. This could be a really nice product or a total dud. We'll have to wait and see.
post #380 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarein View Post

Actually, I think it's a bit...centre.

excuse me, but you're not speakin' American real well there, boy.
lmao internet
Reply
lmao internet
Reply
post #381 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Yes. Sorry for the typo. Do you have an cite for your claim that it is based on WinCE?

I gave you a cite! http://www.google.com/

Or you can feel free to just cite me.
post #382 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I gave you a cite! http://www.google.com/

Or you can feel free to just cite me.

It doesn't work that way, nor is it so simple. It's up to you to back up your own claims. We haven't seen the articles you've seen, you have a better idea of what you're looking for than we would. Usually, it's up to the person that makes an positive claim of a fact to back it up when asked.

Also, I haven't seen anything that says for sure, it's all speculation so far that I have found, or based on unnamed sources. Reasonable speculation, mind you, but not something that justifies an absolute statement.
post #383 of 449
Windows Mobile 7 and Copy-and-Paste
Daring Fireball 10-02-16 11:02 PM John Gruber http://daringfireball.net/

Greg Kumparek:

As far as I could tell, there is currently no copy/paste functionality. We were told that developers will hear more about that at Microsofts MIX conference next month, though it was implied that it would be about why copy and paste wont be necessary rather than when it was coming.

How 2007.
post #384 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It doesn't work that way, nor is it so simple. It's up to you to back up your own claims. We haven't seen the articles you've seen, you have a better idea of what you're looking for than we would. Usually, it's up to the person that makes an positive claim of a fact to back it up when asked.

Also, I haven't seen anything that says for sure, it's all speculation so far that I have found, or based on unnamed sources. Reasonable speculation, mind you, but not something that justifies an absolute statement.

Snore...

You do know the guy that is demanding proof is the same one that thinks Microsoft is a major owner of Apple? My idea was that some research would have done him good.

In any case, Charlie Kindel responded via twitter to a question about the origin of WP7S and said it's a new version of CE.

That said, I don't understand the resistance to the idea that WP7S is based on a new version of Windows CE! I'd love to hear some other alternative ideas of where people think the WP7S OS came from!
post #385 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

How many phone markets are left to MS?

I mean, I have read that Motorola is going their way and Palm has WebOS and Android is on a bunch of HTC phones instead of MS, does that mean MS will have just this one model phone and they have to "Make" it themselves? Or is the OS available to other phone manufacturers and who will license it? I think even Dell is looking elsewhere, not sure though.

Also, is this CDMA phone? Which carrier will have this?

Not interested in getting one. Just have some questions. There is more then enough comments about MS belated attempt to alter their phone OS. Just because I agree with most of them, I won't be superfluous...

According to http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/w...s-playing-to/:

Carrier partnerships are far and wide, including AT&T, Deutsche Telekom AG, Orange, SFR, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telefónica, Telstra, T-Mobile USA, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone, while hardware partners include Dell, Garmin-Asus, HTC, HP, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and Qualcomm.

If true, that is very nice starting lineup, particularly 9 months before actual launch. Of course, we'll see when the time comes.
post #386 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOFIA111 View Post

This is most likely not a product that immediately compete with the iPhone.
Instead, I'm of the opinion that it would more or less steal the Android/BB's thunder.

The iPhone has significant competitive advantages including a strong, growing market share, and a strong brand follower-ship.
They continue to offer a unique product that competitors have not managed to truly imitate.

That being said, the rest of the smartphone market is not competing with the iPhone, they are competing among themselves.
It was predicted correctly that the Android will eat into WinMo's market share.
The same should apply to this recent development.

In other words,
People who want an iPhone will buy an iPhone, they will not even consider alternatives.
People who want a smartphone, on the other hand, may consider this new offering.
Give or take, that's my take on what will happen on the short-term.

Also:
stfu trollers/fanbois/pundits, kthxbye

You are seeing things too black and white.

I have an iPhone, and when the time for update comes I'll consider everything available to find what works best for me. That is because I got iPhone as it was best suited for my needs, not because it is iPhone.

Likewise, my wife.

Likewise, my mate.

Of course we might end with iPhone 4 or 5 if we decide it is the best for us, but we will consider others without bias.

Couple of our clients got iPhone because we told them they are simple to use and have everything they need. What they will take next time depends on what we will recommend them. They are middle-age, down to Earth people who don't get Apple hype and don't even know who Steve Jobs is.

In fact, of all people I personally know having iPhone, only one will likely get another no matter what. That is one out of ten, more or less.

Of course 10 people experience is purely anecdotal. Still, how many other iPhone users think the same? I think there is a number.
post #387 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

As far as i knew MS is supporting HTML 5 but its a double edged sword seeing as how it can kill off Silverlight.

Nothing had really been announced that WM7 will or wont support Flash or silverlight. Its got 9 months till release so heres hoping Flash is gonna be there

And Adobe has 9 more months to come up with decent Flash for mobile platform
post #388 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I think it looks pretty good. After being bashed on the head by the iPhone and Android et al they finally get that people don't want their desktop OS on a phone. I've used many WinMo phones (mostly HTC and Palm) and it was just an ugly experience with the stylus navigating around but at least HTC made that experience more tolerable (loved their phones).

I'm surprised they didn't call it Zune OS or MSPhone OS.

Riding on popularity of Windows 7, I'd guess.
post #389 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Windows Mobile 7 and Copy-and-Paste
Daring Fireball 10-02-16 11:02 PM John Gruber http://daringfireball.net/

Greg Kumparek:

As far as I could tell, there is currently no copy/paste functionality. We were told that developers will hear more about that at Microsofts MIX conference next month, though it was implied that it would be about why copy and paste wont be necessary rather than when it was coming.

How 2007.

Right... You're going to cruxify a non-released OS for not having copy/paste at the current moment (I've underlined that word in your own article quote for you)? How do you know that it won't have it when it's officially released at the end of the year? It is still software under work, after all.

If Apple had their software in-work with the same issue, you'd claim the exact same thing I'm saying. It's not like they would release their mobile OS into the wild without it and continue to not have it until after 2 iterations, right?

What about the idea that MS might have come up with a way to not need the traditional text selection copy/paste? If that's the case, I'd really be interested in seeing what they came up with. As either Engadget or Gizmodo said (I can't remember which one), MS has "out-Appled Apple" with WP7S, so anything's game at this point...
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #390 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Right... You're going to cruxify a non-released OS for not having copy/paste at the current moment (I've underlined that word in your own article quote for you)? How do you know that it won't have it when it's officially released at the end of the year? It is still software under work, after all.

If Apple had their software in-work with the same issue, you'd claim the exact same thing I'm saying. It's not like they would release their mobile OS into the wild without it and continue to not have it until after 2 iterations, right?

What about the idea that MS might have come up with a way to not need the traditional text selection copy/paste? If that's the case, I'd really be interested in seeing what they came up with. As either Engadget or Gizmodo said (I can't remember which one), MS has "out-Appled Apple" with WP7S, so anything's game at this point...

I was thinking the same thing. How 2007? How about How 2007, 2008 and half of 2009? Apple released their iPhone OS without copy and paste for 2 years and the Windows trolls loved to rant over how this was a glaring, embarrassing omission. Meanwhile, the Apple fans argued that it was not a necessity, that Apple would include it when the timing was right and other priorities were completed. I argued the same thing in Apple's defense. To now attempt to use that same feature as a cludge to bash a not yet released OS from MS seems petty and not a little ironic.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #391 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

To now attempt to use that same feature as a cludge to bash a not yet released OS from MS seems petty and not a little ironic.

There's a a lot of irony these days.

I find the viewpoint "the iPhone is best because it has so much software" to be ironic, given that the Mac's lack of software was defended on a "quality, not quantity" basis.

Any port in a storm, I guess...
post #392 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

There's a a lot of irony these days.

I find the viewpoint "the iPhone is best because it has so much software" to be ironic, given that the Mac's lack of software was defended on a "quality, not quantity" basis.

Any port in a storm, I guess...

No more ironic than WinMo users dumping on the iPhone for using too simple an interface. Their argument is usually that WinMo being inconsistent, non-intuitive or requiring visits to XDA for usable or stable ROMs to flash somehow makes it targeted at 'power' users. They tend to confuse 'poorly designed' with 'advanced'.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #393 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

No more ironic than WinMo users dumping on the iPhone for using too simple an interface. Their argument is usually that WinMo being inconsistent, non-intuitive or requiring visits to XDA for usable or stable ROMs to flash somehow makes it targeted at 'power' users. They tend to confuse 'poorly designed' with 'advanced'.

That's more silly than ironic. WinMo sucks. I hope that version 7 will be better, but I doubt it will be better than the then-available alternatives.

I had a WinMo phone for a few weeks. I tried to like it. But it sucked, and I got a Treo instead.

Now I have an iPhone, which is better in many ways, but infuriatingly dumbed down in too many ways for my taste.
post #394 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


Now I have an iPhone, which is better in many ways, but infuriatingly dumbed down in too many ways for my taste.

What's wrong with it being simplified? That is sort of the point. You should be able to pick it up and be able to use it right away. That is the nature of well designed, intuitive software. You think it would be better if it was a confused, inconsistent mess?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #395 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

What's wrong with it being simplified? That is sort of the point. You should be able to pick it up and be able to use it right away. That is the nature of well designed, intuitive software. You think it would be better if it was a confused, inconsistent mess?

No, of course not. There are an infinite number of choices between "dumbed down" and "a confused, inconsistent mess"


What's up with the black/white extremes presented here as false dichotomies? I see them so often that I wonder.
post #396 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

What's up with the black/white extremes presented here as false dichotomies? I see them so often that I wonder.

You mean like calling it dumbed down?

It takes some effort to develop an interface that is so simple that anyone can use it and still make it functional. To call that 'dumbed down' shows a strange desire for added, unnecessary complexity.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #397 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You mean like calling it dumbed down?

It takes some effort to develop an interface that is so simple that anyone can use it and still make it functional. To call that 'dumbed down' shows a strange desire for added, unnecessary complexity.

It shows nothing of the sort. Instead, it shows a desire for a full-featured product that is well designed, rather than a product which excludes important stuff in the name of ease of use.

And I think that "dumbed down" is an apt description for products which exclude functionality in order to be easier to use.

And the crazieszt thing of all, IMO, is the way the iPhone is HARDER to use than some possible alternatives - for example, scrolling through 11 pages of similar looking icons to find what you want, rather than allowing similar apps to be grouped into folders.

Before I got my iPhone, I was under the impression that Apple was the king of the UI. But Springboard (again, IMO) sucks big time. I had better app launchers a decade ago on my PalmOS devices.

As great as the iPhone is (was?), the exclusion of capabilities in the name of simplicity is just a cop out. ISTM that it is just a lame excuse for lack of skill in making an easy-to-use UI that allows advanced users to get the most out of the device, while allowing novices to be comfortable.

The two things are not mutually exclusive, claims to the contrary notwithstanding.
post #398 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

It shows nothing of the sort. Instead, it shows a desire for a full-featured product that is well designed, rather than a product which excludes important stuff in the name of ease of use.

And I think that "dumbed down" is an apt description for products which exclude functionality in order to be easier to use.

Your claims were that it dumbed down, in the sense that it was too easy to use, i.e. your example that your neighbour with down syndrome would easily use it. This doesn't imply anything to do with missing feature, but instead appears to be a complaint about ease of use of the interface itself.

Are there missing feature? Yes, of course. Most have little to do with ease of use. The most glaring have mostly been added (CnP, tethering, VOIP on 3G) and had nothing to do with ease of use.

Which features/functions in particular are missing that you feel were left out in order to make the device easier to use and so dumbed down?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #399 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post


And the crazieszt thing of all, IMO, is the way the iPhone is HARDER to use than some possible alternatives - for example, scrolling through 11 pages of similar looking icons to find what you want, rather than allowing similar apps to be grouped into folders.

Before I got my iPhone, I was under the impression that Apple was the king of the UI. But Springboard (again, IMO) sucks big time. I had better app launchers a decade ago on my PalmOS devices.

You seem to be stuck looking at mobile interfaces through desktop coloured glasses. The entire paradigm of files and folders was pioneered and polished by Apple. Opting for an interface that goes away from a hierarchal display of applications, files and folders doesn't make it 'dumbed down'...it means they feel that a single level navigation system fits better for mobile devices.

Folder navigation has never been done well on cell phones. Continuing to use that concept on a mobile device is simply kludging it in so that people who can only conceptualize navigation in one manner can use something that is somewhat similar to their desktop experience. That wouldn't be making a 'smarter' interface. It is more of a demonstration of laziness and a belief that users cannot comprehend a different UI.

maybe they should also expose the command line. This would help users that are more comfortable with CLI....no, leaving that out has nothing to do with 'dumbing it down'and more to do with, 'it doesn't make sense on a mobile device'.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #400 of 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You seem to be stuck looking at mobile interfaces through desktop coloured glasses. The entire paradigm of files and folders was pioneered and polished by Apple. Opting for an interface that goes away from a hierarchal display of applications, files and folders doesn't make it 'dumbed down'...it means they feel that a single level navigation system fits better for mobile devices.

It seems to me that they could have made it easy to jump to a given page, much like how the scroll bar navigation lets users jump to a given letter. Making it linear access rather than random access seems to turn back the clock too much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › MWC: Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7 Series