or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Sources offer peek at Adobe Creative Suite 5 for Mac
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sources offer peek at Adobe Creative Suite 5 for Mac - Page 3

post #81 of 129
I hope InDesign CS5 will be faster and make better use of multiple processor cores (Grand Central Dispatch). Especially when printing and exporting to PDF. I hope the same for Photoshop too.
post #82 of 129
Looks like I'll be sitting this one out, again. CS3 is just right and zippy, handles everything fine. Adobe had a real problem after Lightroom, trying not to make the two overlap too much so people would buy both. Now they've got a real weird model with LR, PS and BR. How they go together is anybody's guess. I'm using Aperture mostly now, with seldom trips to PS for the big stuff. CS4 added very little, and CS5 seems like another baby step. Adobe just keeps getting more and more greedy. PS10 got one little update and left many bugs untouched. 11 added very little. now 12 seems a bit pointless. 8% isn't much.

I'd like to see Apple take Adobe full-on with a pro suite. CS is a dinosaur. Heck, I can almost do everything in Pages that I do in InDesign. We need an Illustrator alternative, though.
post #83 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomUnderhill View Post

Multipurposing these once-great print apps to export to the new-fangled online world seems like more opportunities for bloat, bragging rights, feature-creep, insanely complex code and crashes. I don't want a suite of Swiss-army knives! I need a suite of the best single-purpose knives I can own. I really like the Harry Potter-esqe world of having video in newspapers, magazines, billboards and books, but I don't think the technology is here to really allow us to print a newspaper or book like those that exist in the fantasy world.

I need a page design tool (InDesign) that is robust enough to handle a 500-page (or larger!) print job and not crash while exporting to PDF because it exceeds a 32-bit boundary.

I need an Illustrator that lets me develop illustrations that don't crash a RIP. Or mis-render in Photoshop because they crash a RIP.

And while I'm moaning and groaning, why can InDesign create beautiful typography while Illustrator makes text look worse than the trash created by Microsoft's word processor?

Am I a part of dieing breed of PRINT designers? Why do we need to "leverage" programs like InDesign into the virtual world just to "make things familiar"? I fully appreciate that Illustrator and Photoshop work exceedingly well in creating web graphics. But InDesign?

I'm not ready to accept extinction yet. Perhaps I just won't move beyond CS4 and all its inherent faults to use the few tools that really do work better than anything out there.

I guess I'm not the only one who's frustrated and has an increasingly hate-hate relationship with Adobe.

I'm 100% with you. Adobe have specific tools for each job - when the barriers are blurred, an intuitive work flow is ruined. The software has become bloated, unstable, unresponsive and very bad at it's basic stated functionality.
post #84 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGlasheen View Post

Please someone design an app that's not as bloated as Dreamweaver, Illustrator and Photoshop.

Oh.. someone already has...Pixelmator, Vector Designer and who needs Dreamweaver when you have Textmate and web standards.

While I agree about Dreamweaver being easily replaced by Textmate, Pixelmator is still no Photoshop and Vector Designer doesn't seem to do well with very complex illustrations (slows down to a crawl) last time I tried it.

I really want to like Pixelmator and Vector Designer because both are made to work well with OSX and both are better designed than Photoshop and Illustrator but they are still lacking so many features and above all don't allow opening PSD/AI/PDF formats properly. By comparison for example iWork does just fine for my office app needs because it handles the MS Office formats fairly well.

I really wish the developers of those two would get some serious backing and more developers behind them.
post #85 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

It's a layout application, I use that or Illustrator, as do most professional designers. Fireworks does not provide me with any of the tools I want for creating customisable grids or using styles.

I suggest you RTFM - customisable grids, librarys and styles all there. I agree - fireworks exists for web layout and image optimisation. It's tool set is lacking - no decent vector drawing tools.

I hate fireworks but I'd never, ever use photoshop, indesign or illustrator for web lay out - that just seems crazy. Repurposing content isn't as simple as saying print this, or upload it - the canvas are different ratios with different technical requirements and colour spaces, the user experience fundamentally different. The web and print do not share enough commonality to warrant an integrated software to create content for print and for online, and to try and blur this boundary is a mistake.

It makes for a counter-intuitive mess. As we are seeing with each release of CS.
post #86 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I suggest you RTFM - customisable grids, librarys and styles all there. I agree - fireworks exists for web layout and image optimisation. It's tool set is lacking - no decent vector drawing tools.

I hate fireworks but I'd never, ever use photoshop, indesign or illustrator for web lay out - that just seems crazy. Repurposing content isn't as simple as saying print this, or upload it - the canvas are different ratios with different technical requirements and colour spaces, the user experience fundamentally different. The web and print do not share enough commonality to warrant an integrated software to create content for print and for online, and to try and blur this boundary is a mistake.

It makes for a counter-intuitive mess. As we are seeing with each release of CS.

In InDesign and Illustrator you can customise the canvas size you want and use RGB mode, I do not print out website designs and would not want to, nor do I export designs from Illustrator or InDesign to the web. I design using layout tools and once I have a composition I am happy with I move to Dreamweaver and code it, using the pixel measurements as a basis for my positioning. I know a lot of designers who use exactly the same process, including After Effects to show animations etc.

FYI I did not say Fireworks could not use grids it's just not as quick or easy as InDesign.
post #87 of 129
Who cares. Nothing creative happens in Creative Suite anyways. All of those agencies smiling and drooling on Adobe.com did it for exposure and free stuff. You think they're serious? The truly creative work happens beforehand, then its passed off to the monkeys who like to sit on their butt all day in front of a computer... wasting their lives figuring out the latest crap UI. Thank god for them. If they're using more than 10% of the features in any given CS product, then they're doing it wrong.

We don't want clients who want to update their website with Contribute or have Flash crapping all over their site. We don't care what software our video editor used when they give us an MPEG. We don't care what software our freelance illustrators use when they give us an EPS. OUr writers can write longhand for all I care. Our programmers use BBedit. We like when photographers shoot on film and the lab scans it on Hasselblad gear with whatever software that uses. The last thing we want are creatives who claim to be "experts" in CS. Yes its true, and Adobe workflow is industry standard. We dont do standard work. We win awards and get the good stuff.
post #88 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Already!? That's a fast update for Creative Suite. I am not putting another $600 into an upgrade this soon. Call me when CS6 is prepped.

The update cycle is every 2 years, just like the transition from CS3 to CS4. You're always welcome to sit out the upgrade, some people just like the latest features. Did you throw a hissy fit when Tiger was released 18 months after Panther, Leopard 2 years after Tiger and SLeopard less than 2 years after Leopard? Or did you like getting the new features and faster operation? I know OSX is cheaper than CS, but the $600 update to CS is for 5 or 6 products. Compare that to the $200 you'd pay to upgrade Aperture + $ 200 to upgrade logic + $300 to upgrade Final Cut, and it doesn't seem so different, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


We still have to pay a thousand bucks for the privilege of using it, and then another thousand a year later when CS6 comes out? Seriously?

Let's see them give away these (long overdue and much asked for), "under the hood" improvements for 30 bucks like Apple did with Snow Leopard.

First of all, Adobe's update cycle is 2 years, and the Master collections is $900 to upgrade and includes 13 programs, plus the Bridge. That comes to about $70 per app, which is much less than upgrading Logic or Final Cut, and on par with most OSX updates. Snow Leopard was an exception to normal Apple pricing, mainly because it's more of a "Service Pack" fixing a lot of problems in Leopard than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Adobe software is utter crap, someone please step up and show these losers how to innovate and cooperate.

Very funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

See above. I have the Lr 3 beta. I have the Aperture 3 trial. Neither is going to completely take away the need for Ps, not in their current incarnations.

At least with Adobe, I can guess why they won't; my guess is that they simply refuse to add enough functionality to Lr in order to prevent cannibalizing Ps sales.

As for Apple, I have no idea why they won't step up to the plate.

I think most Lightroom users are very happy with it's workflow as a photograph cataloguing and developing program. (Hence the name Lightroom). Adding a bunch of extra features would take away that workflow. Photoshop is for deeper photo editing and manipulation. Keeping the 2 programs separate makes sense in the same way the Numbers and Pages are kept separate, even though lots of people stick spreadsheets into text documents; combining the 2 would slow down Pages from it's main use...

Also, John B.: You can buy Photoshop CS4 Standard, and not have the 3D editing features or the extra cost. 3D is only available in Photoshop CS4 Extended. I think we can assume Adobe will continue this product model as there are lots of folks who only work in 2D.
post #89 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

No news on Illustrator? That is my must have app of the whole bunch.

They bought and killed the competition. Why bother?

(If Illustrator is still not multi-cpu aware, I will kick something, hard.)

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply
post #90 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

It's a layout application, I use that or Illustrator, as do most professional designers. Fireworks does not provide me with any of the tools I want for creating customisable grids or using styles.

Wrong... most professional web designers use Photoshop then fireworks as a sub program. I've contracted for some very big companies... it's never been a question of what program to use for layout before CSS conversion. Photoshop.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #91 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'd like to see spine-bleed in InDesign5, A critical feature for designing full-bleed perfect-bound books.

Hopefully you have sent that request to Adobe, and not just to this forum?
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Reply
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
Reply
post #92 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris v View Post

They bought and killed the competition. Why bother?

(If Illustrator is still not multi-cpu aware, I will kick something, hard.)

For my line of work there is some competition: CorelDraw. It's PC only and it does technical drawing with dimensions VERY well. The whole Creative Suite focus on web oriented tasks makes it harder and harder for me to justify using Illustrator. If CorelDraw ever came back to the Mac, I would have to seriously consider it because of it's out of the box superiority in the areas of technical drawing.

I agree. Illustrator needs some attention. So much more could be done with it.
post #93 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Wrong... most professional web designers use Photoshop then fireworks as a sub program. I've contracted for some very big companies... it's never been a question of what program to use for layout before CSS conversion. Photoshop.

Photoshop is an awful program for layout, it's a photo editor with added features. I have no interest in getting into an argument about this but in my experience designers use Illustrator or InDesign for sketching out ideas.
post #94 of 129
awesome features.
looking forward to using Cs5

I wonder how flash will be more integrated within all of the software
post #95 of 129
I welcome puppet tool in Photoshop. For a long time it's been the only thing that keeps me using After Effects. Puppet Tool is brilliant! (It's been around for many years in After Effects, so calling it new technology is a bit going to far, isn't it?)

Brushes in Photoshop. Seriously? Finally? I thought Adobe was fundamentally AGAINST serious brushes. What took them so long? It's been around since I dunno... over 15 years in Corel Painter.
This is gonna be huge for illustrators.
post #96 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'd like to see spine-bleed in InDesign5, A critical feature for designing full-bleed perfect-bound books.

ok I was a bit scared by the first half of the sentence...
post #97 of 129
Any word on about the video side of things? After Effects? Encore?
post #98 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

Hopefully you have sent that request to Adobe, and not just to this forum?

I am a pretty regular participant at Adobe's forums. I think they're well aware of Illustrator's single-cpu-ness.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply

Do what you will, but harm none.

Reply
post #99 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

Photoshop is an awful program for layout, it's a photo editor with added features. I have no interest in getting into an argument about this but in my experience designers use Illustrator or InDesign for sketching out ideas.

Man you're really missing the boat if you aren't using photoshop for laying out websites. It's extremely powerful. All websites start off as rasterized... InDesign was never meant for websites... but do whatever works for you. It just isn't what the pros use for website layout and development.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #100 of 129
I disagree with the folks who say Dreamweaver and Fireworks are irrelevant to web design. I do all my coding in DW and use Fireworks in place of PhotoShop because I can really see what I'm doing and the Javascript is very clean.

My beef with CS4 is that DW is not fully compatible with Snow Leopard and will not support file formats and add-ons such as those from Web Assist which are written in Cocoa and follow standards. When I wrote to Adobe about DW incompatibilities their awful support system (no single person but some sort of robotic thing) the answer was that it was Apple's problem. Meanwhile, DW lags behind and is slow, clunky, and can't handle PHP coding well at all. Fireworks should be more integrated with DW and I would love if they brought back Macromedia's cool ability in DW to correct broken links and see the functionality of your site in several different ways to validate it against Web Standards.

Sounds like they haven't updated DW or FW so that they keep up with whats happening on the Web. I've abandoned Flash because it is not 508 compliant and is a real resource hog.

I have to admit also that I use Photoshop Elements because it was $99 vs. the bloated price of PS which I can't afford. It works great.
"Don't be afraid to question. Don't be afraid to get fired. Don't be afraid to be wrong."
Ben Browder
Reply
"Don't be afraid to question. Don't be afraid to get fired. Don't be afraid to be wrong."
Ben Browder
Reply
post #101 of 129
A few years ago, when Adobe bought out Serious Magic, I was excited and hopeful that they would bring the vector keyer from Ultra to the Mac. So far, they only shipped a rebranded version of the Windows only Ultra with the CS3 release and then completely dropped it for CS4.

If the vector keying engine from Ultra is included in After Effects in CS5, I'll buy it. That all by itself will be worth the price of entry.

On the graphics and web side of things, I agree that there should be some more serious competition - especially on the Mac side. My go-to application has always been Canvas, but when ACD bought out Deneba, they killed the Mac version. The last version of Canvas made for the Mac will still run on Snow Leopard. I'm used to its quirks but it really kills me that it was discontinued for Mac, since I can get work done fast in Canvas.

If I had the cash, I'd buy Canvas back from ACD, tear it apart and fix the bugs I'm so familiar with and maybe buy the rights to the excellent but currently comatose TypeStyler and add those features to it. Oh, and I'd drop the Windows version out of spite. (OK, I wouldn't but I would enjoy thinking about it...)
post #102 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

For my line of work there is some competition: CorelDraw. It's PC only and it does technical drawing with dimensions VERY well. The whole Creative Suite focus on web oriented tasks makes it harder and harder for me to justify using Illustrator. If CorelDraw ever came back to the Mac, I would have to seriously consider it because of it's out of the box superiority in the areas of technical drawing.

I agree. Illustrator needs some attention. So much more could be done with it.

You almost made me punch my beautiful Mac... and if there was a thing as location aware time travel... you'd be in some serious pain right now!

Sorry... but as bad as some things are with Adobe... they are a world of difference better than ANYTHING from C****!

So why am I so "violently" opposed to that company? Well I've wasted literally days of my life getting projects to print or RIP... or do anything with data sent to me from this un-Gawdly FU of a program. You name it, from EPS to PDFs, even JPGs are a mess... which is pretty friggin' hard to screw up.

Yes... the users on the other end are mostly to blame, with their love of "rainbow gradients" with Faux-3D text, and a solar-eclipse-like shadow... but hey, it's C****'s problem if they can't find a way to flatten the damn thing to make it usable for anything other than monitor-sickness.

Sorry buddy... I sure hope your not one of those types of users.... and yes C**** is a dirty word here in this studio!

PS: my cat took a look at me and jumped out the window... no kickin' that clever beast
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #103 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

PS: my cat took a look at me and jumped out the window... no kickin' that clever beast

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #104 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisdaddy View Post

A few years ago, when Adobe bought out Serious Magic, I was excited and hopeful that they would bring the vector keyer from Ultra to the Mac. So far, they only shipped a rebranded version of the Windows only Ultra with the CS3 release and then completely dropped it for CS4.

If I had the cash, I'd buy Canvas back from ACD, tear it apart and fix the bugs I'm so familiar with and maybe buy the rights to the excellent but currently comatose TypeStyler and add those features to it. Oh, and I'd drop the Windows version out of spite. (OK, I wouldn't but I would enjoy thinking about it...)

Oh man, I'd forgotten Canvas. I used it too and loved it. I was very upset when they dropped Macs as I also got a lot done with that product. TypeStyler was my other tool of choice and I miss it greatly. It would be cool to develop a suite of individual small tools that quickly build up the buttons, navigation bar, and user interface for websites. That's why I like Web Assist's products and am so frustrated that they won't run on CS4's Dreamweaver.
"Don't be afraid to question. Don't be afraid to get fired. Don't be afraid to be wrong."
Ben Browder
Reply
"Don't be afraid to question. Don't be afraid to get fired. Don't be afraid to be wrong."
Ben Browder
Reply
post #105 of 129
OK... after calling my cat back in and calming down some, I thought you (cygnusrk727) might like to see what kinds of software that C**** does produce for the Mac, and "it's" problems.

CGTalk Painter Thread
C****Painter Thread
ConceptOrg Painter Thread

Gawd forbid if they ever decided to try and port anything to the Mac again!!!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #106 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Is it just me, or is the guy who narrates that clip about the silliest thing since Peewee Herman? It's almost like he's trying to sound like an incompetent fool.

That guy is Russel Brown and he's the most competent fool you could get to speek about Adobe Photoshop. He knows his voice is wacky and yes he plays it up. But he knows more about that program than most people could ever dream of.
post #107 of 129
Is Adobe adopting Apple's philosophy of releasing same product annually with few new features at the same price? I just got CS4 and now its CS5 coming.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #108 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Yes, I'm afraid so. Me too. Print is dying super fast, I am afraid. I was wondering if Adobe would try to help out designers. I've been trying to learn hand coding of web sites. I t is so slow. (Actually, what I would like is a pro version of iWeb from Apple.

I too am an old school designer. The last two years I was at college was when Macs were first being accepted as actual tools for print design. Web design, what was that? Still just a sparkle in Al Gore's mind.

I have been doing web design for close to 10 years now and I don't know what was so wrong with tables and Photoshop and ImageReady? But apparently, those are all bad words now. So I agree with you 100%. Please, someone, anyone, come up with a program that allows designers to design and not have to learn code. My productivity will go up 100%.
post #109 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

OK... after calling my cat back in and calming down some, I thought you (cygnusrk727) might like to see what kinds of software that C**** does produce for the Mac, and "it's" problems.

CGTalk Painter Thread
C****Painter Thread
ConceptOrg Painter Thread

Gawd forbid if they ever decided to try and port anything to the Mac again!!!

Trust me. I'm no fan of CorelDraw. It's a big player in my field unfortunately, and it's advantages over Illustrator for scaled drawings, importing and exporting with cad programs, all at a better price point, is the only reason I would HAVE to switch. Adobe has done little to cater to this market requiring expensive third party plug-ins to do simple tasks. It's hard to justify paying twice as much for a program to your boss who would in all honestly like to see Macs out of the office.

All of your examples are for Painter. I never said anything about Photoshop. To be honest, in the field of print, which you keep alluding to, I would have thought the exclusion of CorelDraw was a forgone conclusion many years ago not needing of a tirade on a public forum. I can see why you are a cat person.
post #110 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Is Adobe adopting Apple's philosophy of releasing same product annually with few new features at the same price? I just got CS4 and now its CS5 coming.

CS4 was released in October 2008. An April 2010 release date for CS5 would be consistent with the 18 months release schedule which Adobe seems to try to adhere to. Apple's release schedule differs by product.
post #111 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Trust me. I'm no fan of CorelDraw. It's a big player in my field unfortunately, and it's advantages over Illustrator for scaled drawings, importing and exporting with cad programs, all at a better price point, is the only reason I would HAVE to switch. Adobe has done little to cater to this market requiring expensive third party plug-ins to do simple tasks. It's hard to justify paying twice as much for a program to your boss who would in all honestly like to see Macs out of the office.

All of your examples are for Painter. I never said anything about Photoshop. To be honest, in the field of print, which you keep alluding to, I would have thought the exclusion of CorelDraw was a forgone conclusion many years ago not needing of a tirade on a public forum. I can see why you are a cat person.

My apologies for the tirade. Sorry... but if I see or hear the "Dirty Word" I freak seriously!

As to that "program" being excluded years ago... maybe in the US, but here in Germany, every sign, silkscreen, and film-cutting firm uses it. Most of these shops are mom-n-pop, and I don't want to belittle their efforts... but the problem is that they think that they are also "Advertising and Design" firms. I mostly get their hideous creations to adapt to packaging and the real design world, after their client realizes that they are not saving anything (like money), or being badly served by having their image and branding done be the equivalent of an auto mechanic.

End of rant... again... sorry.

PS: yes, I have heard that C**** excels in the CAD cross-over category. Good for them. Please stay away from print is all I ask.

PSS: pointing at the Painter threads was just meant to scare you from wanting them to do the same to Draw. Check out the problems Mac users have trying to install the program... and later run it. Sad, because Painter was originally written specifically for the Mac... until C**** got their hands on it.

Well... I guess on the positive side it's still being developed for Mac users... unlike Adobe flat out killing FreeHand.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #112 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

As to that "program" being excluded years ago... maybe in the US, but here in Germany, every sign, silkscreen, and film-cutting firm uses it. Most of these shops are mom-n-pop, and I don't want to belittle their efforts... but the problem is that they think that they are also "Advertising and Design" firms. I mostly get their hideous creations to adapt to packaging and the real design world, after their client realizes that they are not saving anything (like money), or being badly served by having their image and branding done be the equivalent of an auto mechanic.

I do feel your pain. It is the design aspects of Illustrator which I trumpet when the C-word is brought up from my superiors. I'm actually a member of a CorelDraw sucks group on facebook if that helps to make amends.

Pretty much the same here except my 'mom and pops' are little sign companies and or manufacturers working with ancient PCs with ancient copies of Corel Draw...or worse....

Enjoy a delicious German Hefeweizen for me.
post #113 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbeve View Post

I hope InDesign CS5 will be faster and make better use of multiple processor cores (Grand Central Dispatch). Especially when printing and exporting to PDF. I hope the same for Photoshop too.

Yeah I hope they do use Grand Central, and OpenCL too. If they don't.... then they are idiots.
post #114 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbeve View Post

I hope InDesign CS5 will be faster and make better use of multiple processor cores (Grand Central Dispatch). Especially when printing and exporting to PDF. I hope the same for Photoshop too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

While I agree about Dreamweaver being easily replaced by Textmate, Pixelmator is still no Photoshop and Vector Designer doesn't seem to do well with very complex illustrations (slows down to a crawl) last time I tried it.

I really want to like Pixelmator and Vector Designer because both are made to work well with OSX and both are better designed than Photoshop and Illustrator but they are still lacking so many features and above all don't allow opening PSD/AI/PDF formats properly. By comparison for example iWork does just fine for my office app needs because it handles the MS Office formats fairly well.

I really wish the developers of those two would get some serious backing and more developers behind them.

See what happens when Developers follow standards, and use modern API's, you get kick ass apps.

I think Adobe needs to stop acquiring other companies for the time being, and concentrate on cleaning up their 20 year or so old codebase, and get bloody FLASH fixed/cleaned up.
post #115 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Any word on about the video side of things? After Effects? Encore?

http://blogs.adobe.com/keyframes/200...it_native.html

Looks like the end of 32-bit with Adobe After Effects. I didn't see anything about new features but here is where 64-bit is really going to shine. Time is money and these under-the-hood improvements in CS5 are a real reason for me to upgrade.
post #116 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

that's what would happen in a windows installation, and i'm not surprised the same happens in osx

They should stop using their damn home baked slow as molasses installers, Use Apples Installers, and stop spewing their private Frameworks and other bits, all over the place on users Hard Drives. And put all "Adobe related" preferences in an "Adobe Folder" too.

They are just damn lazy. I would hate to see their build process, its probably over complicated, and convoluted. No wonder so many weird bugs turn up in Adobe Software (yes Flash the finger is pointed at you).
post #117 of 129
I love how all the little kiddies are so knowledgeable about professional design. Pretty easy to pirate a copy, try it out for 15 minutes and then dismiss it as a piece of crap. After reading all the comments in this thread, it's pretty clear that having a rational discussion about CS5 or Adobe products of any flavor would be pretty much impossible here... sayonara whiners.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #118 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post

If only this came with Middle Eastern support as standard.

Yes. thats another thing. This should have been done AGES ago. There should not be a separate Middle East capable version, There should only be one version that Does ALL languages including Right to Left ones. In this Age of Unicode, and Cocoa etc... there is no excuse not too, except to rip people off. Middle Eastern Just works out of the box in Apple Products (even iTunes)... So get cracking Adobe. Microsoft Office, is another major offender. This is an Issue that has pissed me off for ages
post #119 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I love how all the little kiddies are so knowledgeable about professional design. Pretty easy to pirate a copy, try it out for 15 minutes and then dismiss it as a piece of crap. After reading all the comments in this thread, it's pretty clear that having a rational discussion about CS5 or Adobe products of any flavor would be pretty much impossible here... sayonara whiners.

You're right.
post #120 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I love how all the little kiddies are so knowledgeable about professional design. Pretty easy to pirate a copy, try it out for 15 minutes and then dismiss it as a piece of crap. After reading all the comments in this thread, it's pretty clear that having a rational discussion about CS5 or Adobe products of any flavor would be pretty much impossible here... sayonara whiners.

You're right.

Does that mean you are taking your flattened PSDs and storming off for home too?

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

  Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Sources offer peek at Adobe Creative Suite 5 for Mac