or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs agrees to collaborate on authorized biography - report

Steve Jobs agrees to collaborate on authorized biography - report

post #1 of 47
For the first time ever, Steve Jobs will participate with an author who is writing a biography of the tech titan, according to The New York Times.

While many books have been written about Jobs, none have carried the "authorized" distinction. But the Apple co-founder is now set to participate with author Walter Isaacson, former managing editor of Time magazine.

The book is still in its early planning stages, but Jobs has already invited Isaacson to tour his childhood home. The biography will reportedly span Jobs' entire life.

Isaacson is chief executive and president of the Aspen Institute in Washington. He authored two best-selling biographies: "Benjamin Franklin: An American Life," and "EinStein: His Life and Universe." He declined to comment to the Times.

"Cooperation with Mr. Isaacson could be a sign that Mr. Jobs has emerged from his recent health battles with more of an interest in shaping his legacy," the report said.

Jobs took a leave of absence from Apple in the first half of 2009. He returned to work last summer after undergoing a successful liver transplant.

Jobs has long expressed frustration with journalists and investors intruding into his life, particularly on his health issues, which he regards as private matters. The notoriously secretive Jobs revealed in 2004 that he had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his pancreas.

In 2005, an unauthorized biography of Jobs by author Jeffrey S. Young entitled "iCon Steve jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business" caused Apple to pull all titles published by John Wiley & Sons from the company's stores. The reaction earned the book free publicity, and caused the publisher to double the title's initial press run and race it to stores a few weeks ahead of schedule.
post #2 of 47
[CENTER]Looking forward to the interesting read...[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #3 of 47
It sure will be interesting read and i will surely be reading it but having read iCon, i look forward to knowing how much truth there was in it.
LotOfWallpapers.com | Only the best wallpapers.
post #4 of 47
And perhaps it will only be available on the iPad! That would be Jobs' style.
post #5 of 47
Quote:
"Cooperation with Mr. Isaacson could be a sign that Mr. Jobs has emerged from his recent health battles with more of an interest in shaping his legacy," the report said.

This was my first thought...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #6 of 47
Why bother with someone else's biography when he could write an autobiography and say it his own way from his own point of view? Biographies are generally cold and lame.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #7 of 47
A funny comment i found on MacRumors:

"Now i know why Steve Jobs created the iPad...
So that he can read his own biography on it."
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Why bother with someone else's biography when he could write an autobiography and say it his own way from his own point of view? Biographies are generally cold and lame.

A professional writer is always needed for giving it a good touch. Even when someone writes an Autobiography, it is always done in collaboration with some writer. They know how to narrate incidences and present the content better.

The celebrity in question just narrates the incidences and the author decides how to write it.

Even iWoz (Steve Wozniak) and My Side (David Beckham) are written in the same way.

Gone are the days when people wrote autobiographies like Mein Kampf while serving prison term.
post #9 of 47
I will actually use money to buy this book.
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Or he isn't getting better and things are not going where he wants them to be...
post #11 of 47
Let me guess, it'll only be available for the iBooks Store
post #12 of 47
Quote:

Besides what Chintan100 stated, even if Jobs had the ability the time and effort it would take on his own would affect his CEP duties or require the book take an excessive time to write. Unless he planned to retire his role as CEO and then dedicate his time to writing his autobiography it just better to let someone else do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Let me guess, it'll only be available for the iBooks Store

Do you really think that is the case? I'm sure he wants it to be a bestseller and you can't do that with an eBook on one device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #13 of 47
Quote:

Gimme a break. As if he has the time for something like that. Autobiographies are written when the person considers his "job" is done. Steve's not done by a long shot.

He probably CONSENTED to this biography. He at least gets to approve it.

Daniel Swanson

Daniel Swanson

post #14 of 47
Maybe you'll get a free download of it if you buy an iPad.
post #15 of 47
iCan't wait to read it on my new iPad.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. - a bumper sticker

Never quote idiots, they just clog up...
post #16 of 47
But iSteve is full of...you know what. I forsee the book being a big seller, but in all likelyhood, it should be on the fiction shelves.

Anybody who would believe iSteve without independently checking the facts is overly credulous.
post #17 of 47
A biography is something you do when you think you're at the pinnacle of what you set out to do, or to promote yourself to a wider audience.

It leaves open the question of what the motivation is here. Is this the pinnacle or is this about showing that he's got broader interests?
post #18 of 47
. . .
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

I will actually use money to buy this book.

I'm already using money to get the book. I'm paying my ISP every month.
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. . .

if you're reading this FUCK YOU

post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

A biography is something you do when you think you're at the pinnacle of what you set out to do, or to promote yourself to a wider audience.

It leaves open the question of what the motivation is here. Is this the pinnacle or is this about showing that he's got broader interests?

Maybe, but if you're as prominent an individual as Steve Jobs, somebody is going to write about you whether you authorize it or not. Better to have some control than none at all. The headline of this story seems deceptive -- this doesn't look to be one of those "as told to" books. The writer wanted to write the book, asked for cooperation from the subject, and got it. Cooperation is not the same thing as "collaboration," not by a long shot.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

But iSteve is full of...you know what. I forsee the book being a big seller, but in all likelyhood, it should be on the fiction shelves.

Anybody who would believe iSteve without independently checking the facts is overly credulous.

You obviously don't know who Walter Isaacson is and how impeccable his reputation is. I read his new biography of Albert Einstein. Isaacson does not pull punches, ever. This is major league, very major league. If Isaacson can't get the facts straight then he won't write the book. He will dig until he finds the truth. Job's input and control will be minimal and independently corroborated. I guaran-damn-tee it.

Now siooma, you Apple hating troll.
post #23 of 47
Jobs seems to be such a control freak, that I can't see how this will be anything much other than an autobiography, and I wonder how much we will actually learn about him, since it will be through his own rose tinted spectacles. Still, I'll read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

Gone are the days when people wrote autobiographies like Mein Kampf while serving prison term.

Thanks for that comment by the way. I read that at work, sat in a meeting, and it made me laugh out loud - d'oh!
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

This was my first thought...

That was my second thought, my first thought was he was given a certain time frame left.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I read his new biography of Albert Einstein. Isaacson does not pull punches, ever.

But Einstein can't punch back, Steve can.
post #26 of 47
"iWin: The Extraordinary Life and Legacy of Steve Jobs, A Story Reconstructed From Occasional Outbursts, Flashes of Angry Disappointment and Interpretations Inside The Reality Distortion Field"

Relax! I'm kidding!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 47
I wonder how it's going with Job's new house.
Cubist
Cubist
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

I'm already using money to get the book. I'm paying my ISP every month.

Yeah. And it therefore also gives you the right to rip-off all kinds of IP, including music, video, movies....
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by benice View Post

Actually, a biography is something someone else does about a person. An autobiography is what one does about themself.

Quote:

The motiviation is the author wanted to write a book.
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Now siooma, you Apple hating troll.

Had to look that one up. Made me laugh.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbard View Post

And perhaps it will only be available on the iPad! That would be Jobs' style.

HA HA HA! That would be a horrible thing to do...but would we REALLY be surprised?
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB View Post

HA HA HA! That would be a horrible thing to do...but would we REALLY be surprised?

Very, since Apple won't be the publisher and no publisher would agree to such a bizarre restriction.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Ditto!
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"iWin: The Extraordinary Life and Legacy of Steve Jobs, A Story Reconstructed From Occasional Outbursts, Flashes of Angry Disappointment and Interpretations Inside The Reality Distortion Field"

Relax! I'm kidding!

FINALLY, some discussion of titles for the book. I clicked in hoping to see joke titles, not how rose-tinted Steve's glasses may be. Why iWin and not iGod though?
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

It sure will be interesting read and i will surely be reading it but having read iCon, i look forward to knowing how much truth there was in it.

there will be a helluva lot less truth in the official bio than there was in iCon...when the subject tries to ban a book you know its pretty close to the mark.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

there will be a helluva lot less truth in the official bio than there was in iCon...when the subject tries to ban a book you know its pretty close to the mark.

Really? Why so certain? Maybe it was just full of lies.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes, clever, succinct, and quite appropriate.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

post #38 of 47
Let's have a whip-round and get Steve Ballmer a copy.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #39 of 47
Looking forward to it.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

FINALLY, some discussion of titles for the book. I clicked in hoping to see joke titles, not how rose-tinted Steve's glasses may be. Why iWin and not iGod though?

Ooh, you're right. iGod is better.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs agrees to collaborate on authorized biography - report