or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Best Buy expecting new Apple products in mid-March?

Best Buy expecting new Apple products in mid-March?

post #1 of 37
Updated stock information from within Best Buy's computer systems shows the electronics retailer receiving new hardware from Apple -- potentially MacBook Pros or iPads -- on March 14.

A picture sent to AppleInsider shows the hardware in Best Buy's mobile department, suggesting the device could be the iPad's Wi-Fi model, due to arrive by the end of March, or perhaps an updated MacBook Pro. Apple is expected to refresh its MacBook Pro notebooks this quarter.

The unnamed Apple hardware is a placeholder with a dummy UPC simply used to represent a potential forthcoming new product. While such information leaks from Best Buy from time to time, it is not always reliable.

The new hardware is listed under Best Buy's computer department, though the secondary department is labeled as mobile.

Apple's forthcoming iPad, starting at $499, is set to arrive by the end of March for the Wi-Fi-only model. A 3G-enabled version of the multi-touch, multimedia device is due a month later.

For months, there have been rumors of new MacBook Pros based on Intel's new Core i7 and Core i5 mobile processors. The 32-nanometer chips offer improved speed, better graphics capabilities and lower power consumption than their Core 2 Duo predecessors.

In addition, Gizmodo also received a new image from Best Buy's inventory system, showing a number of new dummy SKUs for forthcoming Apple products. The picture, reportedly taken at a Canadian store, does not provide any details on the products. In addition, the SKU sent to AppleInsider does not appear in the list obtained by Gizmodo.

The same source also told the Web site that they saw "fully-speced high end iMacs in inventory that were not in stores yet." Whether these represent the newly redesigned iMacs released last fall is unknown.
post #2 of 37
Have Best Buy SKU rumors ever panned out?
post #3 of 37
Slow news day? Some suggestions:

Apple Planning To Exclude iPhone Hackers From App Store
Nuance acquires MacSpeech for undisclosed amount
Mobile Devices Get Adobe AIR 2.0 and New Flash Player
RIM Intros New BlackBerry Browser to Rival iPhone Safari
post #4 of 37
The "Best Buy is selling the iPad" rumor has been around for awhile now. I'm glad to see some "evidence" to back it up, even though we must take it with a grain of salt at this point until it's confirmed or more substantial and verifiable evidence is brought to light. Stay tuned!

iPadLot.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #5 of 37
Apple is coming out with more then just the iPad and MBP's this year. Looks like there will be a refresh on a lot of their products so who knows what it is exactly.. I would think they wouldn't want to bring out a new product with a refresh product close together, maybe that is why most of us are looking every day for the new MBP's...
post #6 of 37
Last Friday of the quarter. That's what Apple likes to do for new products.
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

The "Best Buy is selling the iPad" rumor has been around for awhile now. I'm glad to see some "evidence" to back it up, even though we must take it with a grain of salt at this point until it's confirmed or more substantial and verifiable evidence is brought to light. Stay tuned!

iPadLot.com

I don't think the Wifi version of the iPad will be exclusive to Apple stores. If they want to sell it world wide at launch, which they said they will, they will need to open up sales to third party retailers like they do with all their product (not including the iPhone).
post #8 of 37
im going to just order mine from apple.com
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

Why? If you buy it at Best Buy, you get extra consumer protections and a discount (in the form of cash off future purchases).
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxDavis View Post

Apple is coming out with more then just the iPad and MBP's this year. Looks like there will be a refresh on a lot of their products so who knows what it is exactly.. I would think they wouldn't want to bring out a new product with a refresh product close together, maybe that is why most of us are looking every day for the new MBP's...

For me, the later the better. Apple usually holds a refresh off when there is going to be a major change, not just a speed bump. There are lot of things I'd like to see happen with the next MBPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Last Friday of the quarter. That's what Apple likes to do for new products.

They do like to do that but usually there is something in February. Plus, March will likely have the iPad sales starting at the end of March, as well as the iPhone OS and SDK 4.0 demo as a special event sometime in March, going by the last two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't think the Wifi version of the iPad will be exclusive to Apple stores. If they want to sell it world wide at launch, which they said they will, they will need to open up sales to third party retailers like they do with all their product (not including the iPhone).

Considering the low cost, the multi-national sales out of the gate and likely sales in many retail stores in the US it's possible that the iPad could be much more popular than many have expected. I thought 4-6 million the first year would be about right, but that may be extremely low.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #11 of 37
Quote:

I'm with you on this one!
post #12 of 37
If it's 3/14 for iPad wifi, I think I'll be skipping 3G for the first gen.
post #13 of 37
These are probably for the 'long-awaited' Verizon iPhone.
post #14 of 37
Quote:

I'm not sure how you are coming to that conclusion...

18 "Dummy SKUs" are listed in the shot. There are at least 6 new iPads coming. 12 if you count ENG and FR versions. I'm still under the impression that we will see another class of iPad that will have a front facing camera. That would take the total count for new products well past the 18 listed SKUs...
post #15 of 37
I've been waiting 9 months for an Apple TV hardware refresh, I really want one but know if I buy now they'll replace it and I'll be angry at myself!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #16 of 37
Speed bumps and maybe a single button glass track pad and 'Raccoon' screen trim for the MBA! Oh and an iPad.....

Ps...wouldn't it be great if the iPhone was as thin as the iPod Touch?
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I've been waiting 9 months for an Apple TV hardware refresh, I really want one but know if I buy now they'll replace it and I'll be angry at myself!

Yep...I'd wait. The next gen. will be better for sure. Just don't know when that will be!

I have an AppleTV and absolutely love it...music, photos, movies, now internet radio all combined into one unit with one HDMI cable and one power cord w/o a pwr brick. It is a beautiful piece of engineering and design. It's the only piece of electronic equipment I 'proudly' display in my living room. Other than the Flat screen TV, (and a first gen. iPhone that I'm slowly making into a universal remote) everything else is 'hidden,' Cable box, DVD player, etc., because they are so clunky looking compared to the ATV.
post #18 of 37
Arrandale i7 + Nvidia Optimus switchable graphics. NAO.

Seriously, a core 2 duo and a Geforce 9400m in a 2000 dollar laptop is just calling your customers stupid
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd841 View Post

18 "Dummy SKUs" are listed in the shot. There are at least 6 new iPads coming. 12 if you count ENG and FR versions. I'm still under the impression that we will see another class of iPad that will have a front facing camera. That would take the total count for new products well past the 18 listed SKUs...

Well it comes from BB Canada and things are bi-lingual up there, but why on earth would they need a separate sku for English or French when that is a simple user option question on first bootup? There likely will be a version of the iPad down the line with a camera, but not in this first round. What got announced the end of January is all that will be included in them. Assuming that everything you see there is accounted for by iPads is very foolish.

MacBook Pro's have previously been reported as EOL so they are clearly being replaced. How does the i3 processor stack up against the processor found in the white MacBook? It would make a nice clean jump across the board if they upgraded all the laptops so the Air and MacBook ran i3s, the 13 and 15" Pros ran i5s and there was an i7 that was at least a BTO option for the 17". Obviously if the Air could have an i5 and still maintain it's form instead of using an i3, go that route.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't think the Wifi version of the iPad will be exclusive to Apple stores.

Do you mean the 3G version since they all have Wi-Fi?
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Do you mean the 3G version since they all have Wi-Fi?

I think he means WiFi-only. We know that it will be sold in AT&T stores.
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Well it comes from BB Canada and things are bi-lingual up there, but why on earth would they need a separate sku for English or French when that is a simple user option question on first bootup?

I agree that having separate SKUs for English and French iPads is foolish, but the screen shot shows items with "FR" or "ENG" in the description. Unless they have SKUs for their internal display items and some are English and some are French.
post #23 of 37
Quote:

I agree that having separate SKUs for English and French iPads is foolish, but the screen shot shows items with "FR" or "ENG" in the description.

It makes sense those are for Mac keyboard layouts, not for the iPad.
post #24 of 37
Wow, that actually makes sense! I'll shut up now...
post #25 of 37
Quote:

Not to rain on your parade, but SKUs for the extras as well, dock, keyboard, case, etc.,
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Not to rain on your parade, but SKUs for the extras as well, dock, keyboard, case, etc.,

Oh yeah. Two just for the new keyboards, assuming they already carry the Bluetooth versions.
post #27 of 37
So when does the MAC PRO Tower come out?

It has been over a year since the last update.
post #28 of 37
I can't wait. I need a new Macbook Pro already!
post #29 of 37
Best Buy?

I'd rather get it from Wal-Mart.
post #30 of 37
FWIW, the Apple Store in Japan has announced an iPod/Mac bundle offer at their educational store to coincide with the start of the new school year (April in Japan). They offer to reimburse up to 19800 yen (roughly $210+) if you buy a Mac w/ an iPod.

Last year, this offer ran until the end of April but this year, it runs until May 25th. I'm wondering if that means a new iPod Touch product is arriving around the end of May...
post #31 of 37
This could mean:
New Mac Minis
New Mac Pros
New Macbook Pros
New Macbook Air
All the iPad models

...at least hope.
post #32 of 37
Quote:

I got this link http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
from another forum and it's crazy if you really stop and think about what Apple has on it's plate. With the release of windows mobile 7, apple has to come out with something soon to which will enhance the iphone, not just the speed of the thing. It needs to be a great deal more, can't use the app store for all we need the iphone for. The phone needs to be a great device without the app store bailing it out all the time.

New MBP
iPad
Mac Pro
Apple Display
I would think they need to help out the Macbook Air because some of the new ultrathin laptop pc out there have some pretty good features. So update that soon.
iPhone software/firmware...

That is a lot of heavy refresh!
post #33 of 37
Quote:

I got this link http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
from another forum and it's crazy if you really stop and think about what Apple has on it's plate. With the release of windows mobile 7, apple has to come out with something soon to which will enhance the iphone, not just the speed of the thing. It needs to be a great deal more, can't use the app store for all we need the iphone for. The phone needs to be a great device without the app store bailing it out all the time.

New MBP
iPad
Mac Pro
Apple Display
I would think they need to help out the Macbook Air because some of the new ultrathin laptop pc out there have some pretty good features. So update that soon.
iPhone software/firmware...

That is a lot of heavy refresh!

Yikes good point. That sure is a lot the plate, I hadn't thought about anything but MBPs! The Mac Pro is ridiculously outdated having gone a whole year without an update (esp. at its price that is). MBP isn't far behind. Only an absolute Apple apologist (of which I am not one, at least mostly) would defend that crap. Of course iPad has to get out the door. iPhone is beginning to need an update although it would be reasonable to hold off a few months, but Apple at least has to tell developers what is coming. Displays could use updating, it's been YEARS. Apparently they are coming out with 3D or something according to Macrumors. Mac Mini is getting crusty for its price, so is iMac. It's been a while since they updated anything really except the MacBooks, and even those could now use the new Intel chips. Kind of bizarre they didn't release the MacBook Pros a week or two ago actually, considering all the other updates they'll probably unleash. Unless they want to release all this crazy stuff in one day perhaps? Won't this all detract from iPad hoopla?

Hope for...Next Tuesday!!!!!!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #34 of 37
*this space intentionally left blank*
post #35 of 37
Quote:

In CA, amazon == no sales tax, usually free shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Best Buy?

I'd rather get it from Wal-Mart.

Never spent a penny in Wal-Mart, never will.
post #36 of 37
The Best Buy close to my house just started selling Apple products a few months ago and I saw a banner for the iPad outside the store the other day.
post #37 of 37
am buying from Ebay, their auto refund procedure is really cool
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Best Buy expecting new Apple products in mid-March?