or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple improves iMac ship times, 3G iPhone download limit doubles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple improves iMac ship times, 3G iPhone download limit doubles

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
New 27-inch iMac purchases direct from Apple now have a shipping wait time of 5 to 7 days, suggesting the hardware maker has addressed issues that plagued the desktops. Also, the file size limit for iPhone App Store and iTunes downloads over 3G has increased to 20MB.

27-inch iMac shipping times now 5-7 business days

Both the Core 2 Duo and Core i5 powered versions of Apple's latest 27-inch iMac desktop now have an estimated shipping time of 5 to 7 business days. Apple adjusted the shipping times this week after months of supply issues.

Early adopters of the big-screen iMac have seen a number of hardware issues pertaining to the screen, with reports of flickering and yellow discoloration. The company released two software updates to fix the issues, and also reportedly offered some customers a 15 percent refund for their troubles.

Earlier this month, Apple denied a rumor that it had halted production of new models. At the same time, ship times that had lingered at three weeks for months improved to two weeks.



Supplies of the 27-inch iMac have been constrained for months, with Apple in December even apologizing for delays, citing considerable demand form consumers. When it first launched in October, the new iMac was the best-selling desktop machine for the month. The 21.5-inch iMac came in first place, while the 27-inch iMac took third in overall sales.

3G downloads via iPhone now available up to 20MB

Apple this week quietly doubled the download limit for files from the iPhone App Store and iTunes via 3G. Files up to 20MB in size can now be downloaded from a wireless carrier's data network, while the previous cap was 10MB for "over the air" downloads.

In addition to applications, the new limit also applies to multimedia files, such as podcasts available through iTunes. The update expands beyond AT&T in the U.S., with international reports stating the 10MB cap has also been lifted.
post #2 of 18
Nice with the larger downloads..
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week quietly doubled the download limit for files from the iPhone App Store and iTunes via 3G. Files up to 20MB in size can now be downloaded from a wireless carrier's data network, while the previous cap was 10MB for "over the air" downloads.

i never understood the 10MB limit (and, thus, i don't understand the 20MB limit). i called at&t on it a while ago and the service rep said it was their limit (not apple's). she connected me to a supervisor in some other department who used circular logic to explain the rationale to me.

so they won't let me download a 20MB app, but they will let me download 15 19MB apps?

apple probably doesn't care. it's the same number of bytes out of the itunes store whether its over 3G or wfi or a broom handle.

i'm paying for the effing "unlimited" 5GB of downloads and for the bandwidth, why do you care how i use it?

oh right, because your network sucks.
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i never understood the 10MB limit (and, thus, i don't understand the 20MB limit). i called at&t on it a while ago and the service rep said it was their limit (not apple's). she connected me to a supervisor in some other department who used circular logic to explain the rationale to me.

so they won't let me download a 20MB app, but they will let me download 15 19MB apps?

apple probably doesn't care. it's the same number of bytes out of the itunes store whether its over 3G or wfi or a broom handle.

i'm paying for the effing "unlimited" 5GB of downloads and for the bandwidth, why do you care how i use it?

oh right, because your network sucks.

By that recognizing then Verizon's network sucks, too, and even worse because they hard cap your unlimited data.

There is more than one way to define unlimited. Saying that a loose marketing term means that it's unlimited in every sense of the word is just consumer ignorance. They express very clearly what the unlimited data means in the contract you sign.

edit: I thought I recall they opened up 3G for videos late last year. What's doubly remarkable is Teckstud is right for once and he defended AT&T's stance to be right. Way to go, Kiddo!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 18
AT&T cares because the bandwidth you use costs them money. Any limits they can impose on your unlimited use, they will. (And depending where you live, there may be congestion issues too. Im luckymy city doesnt seem to have that problem.)

Theyve had to loosen up lately, allowing VOIP and now 20MB apps. I assume this is public pressure at work.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i never understood the 10MB limit (and, thus, i don't understand the 20MB limit). i called at&t on it a while ago and the service rep said it was their limit (not apple's). she connected me to a supervisor in some other department who used circular logic to explain the rationale to me.

so they won't let me download a 20MB app, but they will let me download 15 19MB apps?

apple probably doesn't care. it's the same number of bytes out of the itunes store whether its over 3G or wfi or a broom handle.

i'm paying for the effing "unlimited" 5GB of downloads and for the bandwidth, why do you care how i use it?

oh right, because your network sucks.

It's not really the amount of bandwidth that matters. It's the fact that automatic queuing makes it much easier to download a LOT more than if you had to wait for each download.
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

By that recognizing then Verizon's network sucks, too, and even worse because they hard cap your unlimited data.

There is more than one way to define unlimited. Saying that a loose marketing term means that it's unlimited in every sense of the word is just consumer ignorance. They express very clearly what the unlimited data means in the contract you sign.

On the other hand, they also allow for videos to be purchased on 3G, which obviously exceeded the 10MB limit right out of the gate so if they can support video those from the iTS then you'd think that they can support apps from the App Store. The only consideration is the frequency of apps being DLed over 3G on the App Store v. iTS video being purchased. It's quite possible that apps purchases account for much more data than other iTS content, partly because so many apps are free.

Videos always need wifi whenver I've bought them. Don't know why you always need to defend AT&T with mistated facts.
post #8 of 18
The download limit extension is great. It seems now the restrictions on using 3G bandwidth on the iPhone are finally easing off -- especially with this, the Sling Player stuff being available in the US and lately Sky in the UK (satellite TV provider) have allowed for video to stream over 3G. Skype too soon, I can only assume.

However I think it's fair (@ an earlier poster) that they impose a cap - if you want a big app, then simply download it over WiFi. It's not as if the 3G download would be that fast, and I've found sometimes downloads cut out over 3G. A better interface for downloading apps would be good, like the one in the iTS where you can see how much has been download and how much is left, time etc.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Videos always need wifi whenver I've bought them. Don't know why you always need to defend AT&T with mistated facts.

I know someone who started a video download over WiFi and it continued to download over 3G. Can't confirm it however perhaps it's worth a go. And using a 3G network to download a film is fairly heavy bandwidth which could just be consumed over WiFi, it's fair enough the networks don't want to allow it.
post #9 of 18
This article mentions 3G only and I was wondering if that increase applies to Edge as well for those of us still on Gen1 iPhones. Anyone have an idea or a link to AT&T announcement about this change?

Thanks.
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

This article mentions 3G only and I was wondering if that increase applies to Edge as well for those of us still on Gen1 iPhones. Anyone have an idea or a link to AT&T announcement about this change?

Thanks.

I just tested this out on my 3GS with 3G turned off (full signal EDGE) in the UK on O2 and it seems to be starting a download @ 16MB, albeit not very fast at all.
post #11 of 18
Ordered on the 12th with "2 week" estimate and just got notified it was picked up in China last night (6 days after the order).
post #12 of 18
Fantastic news on the 3G download cap - the 256Kbps bitrate iTunes tracks meant a lot of music I tried to buy was over 10MB.
post #13 of 18
So it looks like one wouldn't be able to use the iPad with AT&T unlimited to serve as your ISP...
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

AT&T cares because the bandwidth you use costs them money. Any limits they can impose on your unlimited use, they will. (And depending where you live, there may be congestion issues too. Im luckymy city doesnt seem to have that problem.)

Theyve had to loosen up lately, allowing VOIP and now 20MB apps. I assume this is public pressure at work.

...and ongoing improvements to the 3g infrastructure which so many find popular to deny.
post #15 of 18
The download caps need to go away completely. Why can I stream a podcast through the iTunes app of any size, but can't download anything larger than 20mb?

It's just so arbitrary and pointless. Kill the caps.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It's just so arbitrary and pointless. Kill the caps.

It's not arbitrary or pointless - wireless capacity is a not an unlimited resource. Eventually new technology will not be able to support "unlimited" use.

This is the fault of the American ISP's. Rather than killing the caps, they need to kill the use of the term "unlimited". Tier usage - if you want to use 10GB a month, then you should have to pay for it.

Simple.

No caps, no fake unlimited and me not having to subsidize people who use four times or more bandwidth than I ever will.
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It's not arbitrary or pointless - wireless capacity is a not an unlimited resource. Eventually new technology will not be able to support "unlimited" use.

This is the fault of the American ISP's. Rather than killing the caps, they need to kill the use of the term "unlimited". Tier usage - if you want to use 10GB a month, then you should have to pay for it.

Simple.

No caps, no fake unlimited and me not having to subsidize people who use four times or more bandwidth than I ever will.

Well said. I never thought of it that way. I think I agree with you.
go with the flow
Reply
go with the flow
Reply
post #18 of 18
So have they fixed the screen issues?

I'm impatiently waiting to buy a 27" until they get the bugs worked out.
go with the flow
Reply
go with the flow
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple improves iMac ship times, 3G iPhone download limit doubles