or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Scientific analysis finds iPhone LCD trumps Nexus One OLED

Scientific analysis finds iPhone LCD trumps Nexus One OLED

post #1 of 185
The LCD screen on the iPhone 3GS is far from perfect, but it's also significantly better than the much-touted AM-OLED display on the Google Nexus One, a scientific comparison of the two displays has found.

Dr. Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate Technologies, has published the first in a three-part series comparing the much-touted AMOLED display on the Google Nexus One with last year's iPhone 3GS. Parts two and three of the in-depth look are due to be published in the days to come at both displaymate.com and displayblog.com. He also spoke with AppleInsider about his time with the Nexus one and its comparison to the iPhone 3GS.

Soneira's discovery that the Nexus One screen is inferior to the iPhone is interesting, because many who spent time with both handsets said they found the Nexus One OLED display to be superior. But Soneira said eyeballing the screens isn't enough.

For his tests, he had the Nexus One, iPhone 3GS and a professional broadcast studio monitor all next to one another. The same image would be displayed on all three devices, and the two handsets were compared to the monitor.

The result: While the Nexus One might have a bright, eye-catching display, it also has lots of noise and artifacts, and it just isn't accurate. He said most users are probably wowed by the Nexus One display for the same reason people buy TVs at electronics stores with the brightest and most exaggerated picture -- it looks great at the store, but at home it just isn't right.

"The Nexus One really exaggerates the colors, and when you first look at it, it looks great," Soneira told AppleInsider. "But if you know what a picture is supposed to look like, then it doesn't look so good, because there's just too much color."

Most high-quality displays, including the iPhone, have at least 18-bit color, and emulate 24-bit color with dithering. But in his tests, Soneira found that the Nexus One screen uses only 16-bit color, which allows 32 possible intensity levels for red and blue, and 64 for green.

"This is common on cheap low-end devices, but it is unacceptable for an expensive high-performance 'Super Phone' that Google claims to to be," he wrote. "All screen colors are derived from intensity mixtures of the RGP primaries -- with so few levels to work with the colors are coarse and inaccurate, which produces quite noticeable false contouring in many images and photos."

Soneira also found that the Nexus One display is good at showing text, icons and menu graphics. But images and resolution scaling, he said, fell far short. He demonstrated this with a photo from NASA shown on both the iPhone and Nexus One.

Released with much fanfare in January, the Nexus One is a Google-branded, HTC-manufactured handset running the Android mobile operating system. One of its most expensive components was estimated to be its display, with a value of about $23.50 -- second only to the handset's Snapdragon baseband processor, valued at $30.50.

Soneira said the Nexus One display is best-described as "punchy," and he feels the AM-OLED screen comes across as more of a prototype than a final product. With too much color saturation on photos and poor scaling of images, the hardware was also given "very poor" marks in terms of factory calibration and quality control. Without any color and grayscale calibration, Soneira said it appears the sub-assembly "was just slapped as-is into the phone, which is common in factories that are concerned with maximizing volume and minimizing production time and costs."

Specifically, the screen was measured as having poor peak brightness, screen reflectance, high ambient light contrast rating. But the OLED display also has outstanding black level brightness and contrast ratio.

While the iPhone has a better display than the Nexus One, Soneira said it is far from perfect. Apple's handset has contrast that is too low and weak color saturation. In fact, he said, the color gamut data shows the iPhone smaller and the Nexus One bigger than the standard. In that respect, the iPhone and Nexus One have taken the opposite approach.

Those same issues have existed in Apple's mobile devices for years. He said it seems as though the Cupertino, Calif., company has been making compromises to deliver a bright display on its products.

Soneira said the iPhone needs a "major display makeover," but Apple shouldn't' do anything drastic. The handset has a resolution that is too low, and a contrast ratio of about 100. A good LCD display, he said, has a contrast ratio of 1,000 or more.

While the tech community has been very excited about OLED displays recently, Soneira said he would prefer Apple to hold off on moving to the growing display technology for a few years. He said it's likely that in two years the current issues with OLED will be worked out, and it will be the superior choice when compared to LCD.

"Apple will need to think carefully, because competition has really heated up," he said. "It will be interesting. I don't think they can leave the LCD in the iPhone at 480 by 320 with its poor performance spec. I'm hoping that Apple will stick with a quality LCD and they can jump to OLED in two years when it's ready to go."

As for the current standard-bearer in mobile phone displays, Soneira said he would guess that title goes to the Motorola Droid. While he hasn't done any thorough tests, he said in his educated opinion Motorola's Android-powered handset, which has a 3.7-inch screen, is the leader.

But while Soneira is an expert in display technology, he also conceded that a phone is far more than its display. And taken as a whole, the iPhone again comes out ahead of the Nexus One -- which he called "buggy." But while the user experience on the iPhone is top-notch, Soneira said he wishes he could say the same about the screen.

"The iPhone's display, he said, "is actually not up to the standard of the rest of the iPhone."

For more, read Soneira's DisplayMate Nexus One versus iPhone 3GS Display Shoot-Out.
post #2 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the tech community has been very excited about OLED displays recently, Soneira said he would prefer Apple to hold off on moving to the growing display technology for a few years. He said it's likely that in two years the current issues with OLED will be worked out, and it will be the superior choice when compared to LCD.

Oh the anti-Apple bitching that will ensue if Apple doesn't move to tech with the latest buzz words attached.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #3 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Oh the anti-Apple bitching that will ensue if Apple doesn't move to tech with the latest buzz words attached.

It does not surprise me from everything I've read that its better. OLED will be better at some point - I think its just not there yet (witness: no one can make one for a 19" TV for less than the price of a house.)
post #4 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The LCD screen on the iPhone 3GS is far from perfect, but it's also significantly better than the much-touted AM-OLED display...
...The iPhone's display, he said, "is actually not up to the standard of the rest of the iPhone."

What does dear Dr suggest pray tell?
post #5 of 185
The more things we learn about the Nexus One, the lousier of a device it seems.

Typical Google BETA.

At least to their credit, Google is pushing HMTL5.
post #6 of 185
Tradeoffs - interesting word.

In any design there are always tradeoffs. Many are simply quality for price. It is not just good but expensive vs cheap but crappy - but there are many shades in between.
post #7 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Tradeoffs - interesting word.

In any design there are always tradeoffs. Many are simply quality for price. It is not just good but expensive vs cheap but crappy - but there are many shades in between.

There are two shades: "iPhone" and "not iPhone."

Until someone comes along and changes the game radically a la Apple in June 2007, this is how it'll be from here on in.
post #8 of 185
The color is way more vibrant on the OLED.
post #9 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just imagine if the results were the other way around...

Of course they will question the science now.
post #10 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Dr. Soneira as well as this article said also. "Vibrant" just means colourful and rich. It's pretty much a given that an over-saturated display will come off as vibrant. What you'd want is vibrant colour that is also accurate colour.
post #11 of 185
Quote:

And more banded, and less visible in daylight. I'd love those black levels though.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #12 of 185
AppleInsider.....The ultimate fanboys.
post #13 of 185
Quote:
the iPhone needs a "major display makeover," but Apple shouldn't' do anything drastic.

In other words we found that the iPhone is pretty good and the vast majority of users won't care about the weaknesses but to seem important and drive controversy (and publicity) we will use words like "major display makeover".
That sounds drastic... the boring advice is really to continue to make incremental improvements in contrast etc. as and when it makes economic sense...

Let's face it, the people who even know what OLED is is a marketing irrelevance. Brightness in the showroom is more of an issue in real customer impact but hard to compare until both are in the same room (which currently they are not unless you already own one.)
post #14 of 185
Luckily, I don't think there are too many professional photographers editing photos on their phones.

I don't see why any of this really matters.
post #15 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

Luckily, I don't think there are too many professional photographers editing photos on their phones.

Any advantage the iPhone has is simply shrugged off, but every disadvantage it has is blown way out of proportion. That NASA photo is something that the average person would notice and some people have been known to operate their phones in bright sunlight...

Still the nexus one screen has a number of advantages, it just isn't all pros at this point.
post #16 of 185
Now this is pure garbage. Anybody and everybody knows an OLED screen is superior. The colors may look exagerated but that's only because the screen has pure inky blacks and the colors pop.
I've read everything now- JEESH.
post #17 of 185
To be honest I have an iPhone and a nexus one, and although the nexus one beats the nexus one in fancy numbers, the iPhone implementation is much better. The amoled screen just hurts my eyes when I do emails, or web browsing.
post #18 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post

AppleInsider.....The ultimate fanboys.

Oooooh!! Burn!!

Great first post, dude!!!
post #19 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Now this is pure garbage. Anybody and everybody knows an OLED screen is superior. The colors may look exagerated but that's only because the screen has pure inky blacks and the colors pop.
I've read everything now- JEESH.

Seems to be the same reason consumers favour shiny screens over matte.

As long as the colours are set to 100% MegaVibrance it's all good, right? Who cares about colour accuracy and correct brightness?

But hey, yet ANOTHER article praising the iPhone (or denigrating the competition) so it MUST be "pure garbage."
post #20 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

As long as the colours are set to 100% MegaVibrance it's all good, right? Who cares about colour accuracy and correct brightness?

LOL.

haha... what did you expect him to say?
post #21 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Actually I believe OLED will die before it ever truly gets off the ground. OLED has its advantages but it has some fairly large disadvantages.

The first would be lifespan. I believe the half life is around 14000-15000 compared to 60,000 for LCD.

Color balance issues are still an issue with OLED. Blue seems to be the color with most of the problems.

OLED also consumes 40% more power then LCD.

OLED is also subject to burn-in.

Maybe over time most of this can be worked out but right now its not ready for prime time.

Much of what you listed, besides being taken straight from Wikipedia, were concerns a couple of years ago when OLEDs were just starting to gain press (clicking the citations will take you to web articles written in early to mid 2008). The half life of blue LEDs have improved considerably since then due to new organic phosphor mixes being used to create the "blue" emitted light. I also think you read the power consumption wrong. OLED consumes 40% less power to display blacks, and typically 20% less power in general. The only exception is displaying images with pure white backgrounds; that's where OLEDs take a punch. I definitely don't think OLED is going to die... its the next logical progression beyond LCD and back lights. As for commercial production, although Sony announced it is axing its XEL-1 OLED TV, Samsung is shopping around for interested takers to build an OLED fab plant. I believe Samsung will lead the way to OLEDs being mass produced, and once that happens, they'll start popping up in everything, not to mention prices coming down. Just a matter of time.
post #22 of 185
Quote:

But hey, yet ANOTHER article praising the iPhone (or denigrating the competition) so it MUST be "pure garbage."

No not at all - your analogy is completely and utterly wrong. It's more like comparing an LCD under glass to a Plasma (which is always under glass). Most videophiles would pick the plasma.
Th iPhone has a lot of great things going for it but sadly it's screen (with the exception of its size)is not one of them. Neither is it "launch/re-launch" app modus operandi.
post #23 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

No not at all - your analogy is completely and utterly wrong. It's more like comparing an LCD under glass to a Plasma (which is always under glass). Most videophiles would pick the plasma.
Th iPhone has a lot of great things going for it but sadly it's screen (with the exception of its size)is not one of them. Neither is it "launch/re-launch" app modus operandi.

Only you could take an article where a learned doctor *proves* beyond a shadow of a doubt that the iPhone screen is better and comment to the effect that in fact the screen is, "not great."

This is like replying to a paper by a climate scientist warning of global warming with some anecdote about the winter storms "proving" he is wrong.

You do realise what a complete idiot you look saying stuff like this I guess?
post #24 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Only you could take an article where a learned doctor *proves* beyond a shadow of a doubt that the iPhone screen is better and comment to the effect that in fact the screen is, "not great."

This is like replying to a paper by a climate scientist warning of global warming with some anecdote about the winter storms "proving" he is wrong.

He doesn't look, he is.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #25 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

It matters because genetically speaking, roughly 40% of the population has the eyeballs to tell the difference.

Just because the majority of people look at an over saturated overly contrast image and don't see anything wrong, doesn't mean there isn't a problem for a large amount of people. There is no reason the display can't be vibrant and "pop" but still be colour accurate for those of us that can tell.

Apple has arguably made a better set of decisions with their screen leading to a screen that satisfies a larger number of it's users and is still more accurate overall than the Android one.
post #26 of 185
Quote:

Just be patient, the whole "battery life" spill is around the corner. Wait, maybe that's flash.
post #27 of 185
Quote:

I think if you read the article you will understand the 'vibrant' level, how it's achieved and at what cost to quality of the overall display.
post #28 of 185
Sometimes I think the articles here are written solely to make people feel better about their investment. An article like this touting LCD as the great standard really wasn't necessary.
lmao internet
lmao internet
post #29 of 185
"Scientific analysis finds iPhone LCD trumps Nexus One OLED"

That is until the next revision of the iPhone gets an OLED screen. And then everyone will claim how Apple has revolutionized screen technology and how you shouldn't even be in the phone market if you don't offer an OLED screen!

Please! Have you seen the Nexus One's screen next to the iPhone? There's just no comparison! I don't care what this scientific analysis says if my eyes tell me otherwise! It's all about how you perceive it.

Listen, I own an iPhone and love it. But can we please keep things in perspective. I'm always amazed how people are so quick to dismiss every non-Apple product, like Apple is the only company in the world that can do anything worthwhile!

The iPhone is not a perfect device! No phone is! There's always room for improvement.
post #30 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiroger View Post

... Please! Have you seen the Nexus One's screen next to the iPhone? There's just no comparison! I don't care what this scientific analysis says if my eyes tell me otherwise! It's all about how you perceive it. ...

So in the same category ...

- the Earth is flat (sure looks that way to my eyes, who cares what science says?)
- the stars are all projected on the surface of a crystal sphere in the sky
- Sasquatch is real
- Pope is infallible
- etc.
post #31 of 185
Quote:

That is until the next revision of the iPhone gets an OLED screen. And then everyone will claim how Apple has revolutionized screen technology and how you shouldn't even be in the phone market if you don't offer an OLED screen!

Except Apple will likely implement it correctly. You can't slap features on a device and say "hey, look what we've got!" There has to be some thought and attention put into it.

Same thing with everything else - Apple took a while to implement copy-and-paste, but when they did it was the best anyone's ever used. Same thing with MMS. The App Store, etc. When Apple implements videochat into the iPhone you'll likely see that it'll be the better than any other implementation out there and everyone can use it about 100 times more easily than on any other similar device.

You can do it. Or you can do it right.
post #32 of 185
Quote:

Please! Have you seen the Nexus One's screen next to the iPhone? There's just no comparison! I don't care what this scientific analysis says if my eyes tell me otherwise! It's all about how you perceive it.

You might need new beer-bottles.
post #33 of 185
Great article. When the iPad comes out I'd like to see a follow-up article rating that display. I believe the iPad uses an LCD with LED backlighting. People have ragged on its resolution (non-HD quality) so it would be interesting to get a scientific analysis on it.
post #34 of 185
Quote:

Do you always believe everything your read on a a fanny website. I'm sure there is another "doctor" maybe a hundred that would say the exact opposite. Grow up.
post #35 of 185
Quote:

I seriously doubt the next iPhone will sport OLED screen. Apple seems to be adopting all its products with IPS screen after the iMac got IPS last year and more recently iPad so I wager we would see an updated MacBook Pro with IPS screen in the near future and a new iPhone with IPS screen in June.
post #36 of 185
Apple will boost the resolution on the iPhone only when it makes sense to go to 960x640 so they can pixel double and retain full compatibility with existing apps, a la iPad
post #37 of 185
I guess it comes down priorities. Personally I would put text readability and clarity as no.1 on the list, and the OLED in the Nexus One, with it's deep blacks and razor sharp resolution is just streets ahead of the low-res (comparatively speaking) and washed out iPhone display.

If Apple were to offer a choice on the next iPhone between LCD and OLED, I'd choose OLED in an instant.
post #38 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

OLED also consumes 40% more power then LCD.

Who told you this BS?
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
American centrism dominates 50% of the population here. That half don't think outside the box ... or perhaps just don't think. © digitalclips
post #39 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Apple will boost the resolution on the iPhone only when it makes sense to go to 960x640 so they can pixel double and retain full compatibility with existing apps, a la iPad

I wish they'd go 16:9 personally. Video is mostly 16:9 these days, so the near 4:3 ratio of the iPhone seems pretty nonsensical. There's plenty of empty space above and below the screen too, so no need to make the device any larger.
post #40 of 185
Quote:

The more things we learn about the Nexus One, the lousier of a device it seems.

Typical Google BETA.

At least to their credit, Google is pushing HMTL5.

I assume you have never bothered to actually use one. I have (a friend has one), and it's a very, very slick device. The screen is, to my eyes, amazing, and the overall speed and snappiness of the Nexus is leagues ahead of the iPhone. And multi-tasking is, as you might expect, enough to make any iPhone owner green with envy. I know I am.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Scientific analysis finds iPhone LCD trumps Nexus One OLED