or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Gartner: Apple's iPhone was No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gartner: Apple's iPhone was No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
After more than doubling its total sales from a year prior, the iPhone platform was catapulted into third place in global smartphone sales in 2009, with Apple shipping 24.9 million handsets.

Apple took an estimated 14.4 percent of the total mobile operating system market, according to Gartner, which put it behind only Nokia's Symbian platform, which had 46.9 percent on 80.9 million sales, and Research in Motion, which carried 19.9 percent with 34.3 million units sold.

The big gainers in 2009 were Apple, Google and RIM, which all saw significant increases in their market share. In 2008, Apple commanded just 8.2 percent of the market with 11.4 million units sold. But the company's share grew 6.2 percent in 2009, giving it the largest increase of any handset maker and helping it to displace Windows Mobile.

Apple was helped by a strong finish in 2009. In the last quarter alone, the company sold a record 8.7 million iPhones, representing 100 percent growth over the year-ago quarter.

Android jumped from under a percent share in 2008 to 3.9 percent in 2009, and RIM added more than 10 million unit sales in 2009.

"Android's success experienced in the fourth quarter of 2009 should continue into 2010 as more manufacturers launch Android products, but some (communication service providers) and manufacturers have expressed growing concern about Google's intentions in the mobile market," said Roberta Cozza, principal research analyst with Gartner. "If such concerns cause manufacturers to change their product strategies or CSPs to change which devices they stock, this might hinder Android's growth in 2010."

Android's growth put it in sixth place, behind Microsoft's Windows Mobile and Linux in fourth and fifth, respectively. Coming in seventh was Palm's Web OS, which took just 0.7 percent of the global market based on 1.2 million units sold. All other mobile operating systems accounted for 0.6 percent of the smartphone share worldwide.

Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users by Operating System in 2009 (Thousands of Units). Source: Gartner.

Losing ground in 2009 was Nokia, which saw its Symbian platform drop from 52.4 percent a year prior to 46.9 percent. Nokia, however, remains the dominant smartphone market leader, with more unit sales than Apple, RIM and Microsoft combined.

"Symbian had become uncompetitive in recent years, but its market share, particularly on Nokia devices, is still strong," Cozza said. "If Symbian can use this momentum, it could return to positive growth."

In all, 172.3 million smartphones were sold in 2009, well up from the 139.3 million shipped in the 2008 calendar year.

Total cell phone sales were 1.2 billion in 2009, down 0.9 percent from 2008. Again the top company was Nokia, which represented 36.4 percent of overall sales. The Finnish brand sold 441 million handsets in the calendar year, losing 2.2 percent of its share from 2008.

In second was Samsung with 19.6 percent of the market and 236 million units sold, followed in order by LG, Motorola and Sony Ericsson. All other brands accounted for 24.7 percent of sales, or 299 million units.
post #2 of 52
We're number THREE!!! We're number THREE!!! We're number three!!!
post #3 of 52
There is no doubt the iPhone came into it's own last year when it got MMS, video, cut and paste and speed. All the things I had been asking for. Heck, I even bought one.
post #4 of 52
3 years to become the 3rd largest smartphone manufacturer, bravo Apple.
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

3 years to become the 3rd largest smartphone manufacturer, bravo Apple.

Especially considering they only have one basic model, compared to all the other manufacturers.
post #6 of 52
Could Apple have been higher if they'd had more than one phone model? We'll never know, will we?
post #7 of 52
All this achived in 3 years with 1 model and 1 US Carrier.
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple took an estimated 14.4 percent of the total mobile operating system market, according to Gartner, which put it behind only Nokia's Symbian platform, which had 46.9 percent on 80.9 million sales, and Research in Motion, which carried 19.9 percent with 34.3 million units sold.

Well, I knew there should have been 80.9 M of proletarians amongst us in 2009; 24.4 M of young fashionistas around is no big surprise at all. But some 34.4 M of CEOs here; that's indeed breathtaking...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvassallo View Post

All this achived in 3 years with 1 model and 1 US Carrier.

This report is for world sales, so the fact there was only 1 US carrier is less important.

In June 09, 46% of the iPhone/iPod Touch usage was outside the US and I expect this is only going to get higher.
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvassallo View Post

All this achived in 3 years with 1 model and 1 US Carrier.

3 models, 10 variants (color/memory).

Still a great achievement though.
post #11 of 52
Apple is the no 1 phone maker in the world in terms of profit !!!! Apple even earns more than nokia !!! Haha...
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Total cell phone sales were 1.2 billion in 2009, down 0.9 percent from 2008. Again the top company was Nokia, which represented 36.4 percent of overall sales. The Finnish brand sold 441 million handsets in the calendar year, losing 2.2 percent of its share from 2008.

Wow, Nokia sold the largest number of handsets. What was their percentage of the profits? I think Apple is happy with the profits it got on the 30 million or so handsets it sold. Conveniently left out of the article. Who's the "top" company? People? Anyone?
post #13 of 52
Absolutely phenomenal!

Contact organization, access to email, GPS, Maps/Apps, Access to the internet, camera, Podcasts, video, music and complete integration with my other macs/mobileMe...etc., etc., the iPhone is par excellence.

It seems years ahead of the competition and may very well take over RIM sometime this year. Can't wait to see what Apple has up their sleeve for 2010's iPhone/OS!

Wouldn't it be nice if the the next gen iPhone was as thin as the iPod Touch?
post #14 of 52
1) Apple is doomed!

2) I love this absolutely nonsensical statement by the 'analyst': "Symbian had become uncompetitive in recent years, but its market share, particularly on Nokia devices, is still strong. If Symbian can use this momentum, it could return to positive growth." What momentum? The one that made them become uncompetitive?
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

We're number THREE!!! We're number THREE!!! We're number three!!!

Nokia is number ONE!!! Nokia is number ONE!!! Nokia is number ONE!!!
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nokia is number ONE!!! Nokia is number ONE!!! Nokia is number ONE!!!

Nokia is number 1 in revenue, and unit sales.
Apple is number 1 in profits.

Funny huh?

C.
post #17 of 52
Actually, Apple claimed SECOND place.

With some notable exceptions, most of Nokia's garbageware doesn't count.
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nokia is number ONE!!! Nokia is number ONE!!! Nokia is number ONE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Nokia is number 1 in revenue, and unit sales.
Apple is number 1 in profits.

Funny huh?

C.

My fault for not adding "/sarcasm" tag to the end of my post. (I assumed it was obvious!).
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

We're number THREE!!! We're number THREE!!! We're number three!!!

We?..
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Actually, Apple claimed SECOND place.

With some notable exceptions, most of Nokia's garbageware doesn't count.

So what you're saying is that the phones Nokia actually did sell, didn't actually sell. According to your views...

That's about as logical as grabbing the silver medal off of the competitor's neck at the podium, claiming that you personally don't recognize a portion of their scores, so you deserve the medal over them.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

So what you're saying is that the phones Nokia actually did sell, didn't actually sell. According to your views...

That's about as logical as grabbing the silver medal off of the competitor's neck at the podium, claiming that you personally don't recognize a portion of their scores, so you deserve the medal over them.

To call some of Nokia's best-selling phones "smartphones" is a real stretch.
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What momentum? The one that made them become uncompetitive?

I wonder if the writer realised that momentum is a vector quanity?

C.
post #23 of 52
Windows Mobile take is still pretty impressive for a mobile OS that is highly considered to be a joke now. I think Windows Phone 7 Series has a good chance of being a success.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

There is no doubt the iPhone came into it's own last year when it got MMS, video, cut and paste and speed. All the things I had been asking for. Heck, I even bought one.

What are odds that a company will eventually release a faster device with more features.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

3 years to become the 3rd largest smartphone manufacturer, bravo Apple.

If they continue on the same growth it looks like they'll beat RiM for #2 and that is without opening up to new carriers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by goron59 View Post

In June 09, 46% of the iPhone/iPod Touch usage was outside the US and I expect this is only going to get higher.

I think by now that has happened. For total Apple revenue more than half has come outside the US for a year or two now, and Europe is getting close to being a higher take than North America.


Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Apple is the no 1 phone maker in the world in terms of profit !!!! Apple even earns more than nokia !!! Haha...

And that first happened a year ago. Crazy!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

To call some of Nokia's best-selling phones "smartphones" is a real stretch.

According to Nokia's latest financial report, their best selling smartphones are the E71, 5800, N97 mini and X6.

Which of these isn't a smartphone and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126

Can't wait to see what Apple has up their sleeve for 2010's iPhone/OS!

Me neither. I think we're going to see a substantial update this year.
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

According to Nokia's latest financial report, their best selling smartphones are the E71, 5800, N97 mini and X6.

Which of these isn't a smartphone and why?



Me neither. I think we're going to see a substantial update this year.

Yeah, I'm probably biased because Nokia isn't even in the same league as Apple when it comes to mobile innovation.

Symbian?
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

To call some of Nokia's best-selling phones "smartphones" is a real stretch.

But how does that make Apple #2? Even if we took 50% off of Nokia's numbers for not meeting the definition of a "smartphone" (yours or otherwise), they still nearly double the amount of sales Apple made.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yeah, I'm probably biased because Nokia isn't even in the same league as Apple when it comes to mobile innovation.

Symbian?

Ok... But how does that make Symbian not an smartphone OS? Just because it doesn't have an Apple logo, it isn't a smartphone?
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A


..... Symbian platform drop from 52.4 percent a year prior to 46.9 percent.


I.

On the chart it's 54.2 not 52.4.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Research in Motion, which carried 19.9 percent with 34.3 million units sold.

Did it include the "Verizon, RIM Run 2-for-1 BlackBerry Sale"?http://www.thestreet.com/story/10462...erry-sale.html
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Did it include the "Verizon, RIM Run 2-for-1 BlackBerry Sale"?http://www.thestreet.com/story/10462...erry-sale.html

You've got to remember that the 2-for-1 offer is a Verizon offer. Verizon can afford to run this promotion because the offer is tied to a relatively expensive two year contract. RIM gets paid whether Verizon sells the phone for $500 or gives it away for free.

It's no different from O2 offering the iPhone for free in Europe.
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Did it include the "Verizon, RIM Run 2-for-1 BlackBerry Sale"?http://www.thestreet.com/story/10462...erry-sale.html

I would assume it does. But how does that affect things? Sure you can have bragging rights that the iPhone didn't need a sale (not that Apple would ever have one...). A BB sold is a BB sold, regardless of what the carrier does.

It's not like that sale was a mandatory condition for getting a BB.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #32 of 52
iPhone was NOT (as the headline suggests) the "No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009." The remainder of the article goes on to demonstrate that Apple was the No. 3 smartphone VENDOR in 2009.
The iPhone has been the No. 1 smartphone in the world for a long time. Specifically, the iPhone sells more units than any other single model of smartphone in the world. Apple only sells the one model (more, if you count differing amounts of RAM as different models). Nokia sells around a dozen different smartphones, none of which support sales approaching that of the iPhone. But grouped together, their numbers exceed that of the iPhone. The same goes for RIM.
Even if you group all the TOUCHSCREEN smartphones by vendor, Apple is No. 1 in the world. (See <http://www.canalys.com/services/continuous/sma.html>)

No, the headline of this article is misleading. It should be changed to "Gartner: Apple was No. 3 worldwide smartphone vendor in 2009."
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbilly View Post

iPhone was NOT (as the headline suggests) the "No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009." The remainder of the article goes on to demonstrate that Apple was the No. 3 smartphone VENDOR in 2009.
The iPhone has been the No. 1 smartphone in the world for a long time. Specifically, the iPhone sells more units than any other single model of smartphone in the world. Apple only sells the one model (more, if you count differing amounts of RAM as different models). Nokia sells around a dozen different smartphones, none of which support sales approaching that of the iPhone. But grouped together, their numbers exceed that of the iPhone. The same goes for RIM.
Even if you group all the TOUCHSCREEN smartphones by vendor, Apple is No. 1 in the world. (See <http://www.canalys.com/services/continuous/sma.html>)

No, the headline of this article is misleading. It should be changed to "Gartner: Apple was No. 3 worldwide smartphone vendor in 2009."

Good points. Welcome to the list.
post #34 of 52
Linux is doing very well - Android and WebOS are both Linux based. The total Linux share is 9.3% - ahead of Windows Mobile. Pretty impressive.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbilly View Post

iPhone was NOT (as the headline suggests) the "No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009." The remainder of the article goes on to demonstrate that Apple was the No. 3 smartphone VENDOR in 2009.
The iPhone has been the No. 1 smartphone in the world for a long time. Specifically, the iPhone sells more units than any other single model of smartphone in the world. Apple only sells the one model (more, if you count differing amounts of RAM as different models). Nokia sells around a dozen different smartphones, none of which support sales approaching that of the iPhone. But grouped together, their numbers exceed that of the iPhone. The same goes for RIM.
Even if you group all the TOUCHSCREEN smartphones by vendor, Apple is No. 1 in the world. (See <http://www.canalys.com/services/continuous/sma.html>)

No, the headline of this article is misleading. It should be changed to "Gartner: Apple was No. 3 worldwide smartphone vendor in 2009."

Good point. That's true.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

Linux is doing very well - Android and WebOS are both Linux based. The total Linux share is 9.3% - ahead of Windows Mobile. Pretty impressive.

Hold on there. It took Google to bring Linux successfully into the mobile space.

Desktop Linux is a completely different story.
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Research in Motion, which carried 19.9 percent with 34.3 million units sold.

Did it include the "Verizon, RIM Run 2-for-1 BlackBerry Sale"?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10462...erry-sale.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

You've got to remember that the 2-for-1 offer is a Verizon offer. Verizon can afford to run this promotion because the offer is tied to a relatively expensive two year contract. RIM gets paid whether Verizon sells the phone for $500 or gives it away for free.

It's no different from O2 offering the iPhone for free in Europe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I would assume it does. But how does that affect things? Sure you can have bragging rights that the iPhone didn't need a sale (not that Apple would ever have one...). A BB sold is a BB sold, regardless of what the carrier does.

It's not like that sale was a mandatory condition for getting a BB.


No argument with either response.

Just a note however, according to the attached article this was a joint venture with RIM, not a subsidization program by Verizon or Vodafone.

The original article implies that RIM might be losing a little on the deal, i.e., lower pricing to the wireless service, although they might enjoy a 'piece of Verizon's monthly action.'

Unless RIM/Verizon continue to offer the deal ad infinitum, thus in effect lowering the price of their devices, it is difficult to extrapolate the sales and get a true trend of the market.

If I am not mistaken, one of the most interesting points of the report was the growth in units sales between 2008 and 2009, i.e.,
  • Symbian .............+8.0 million units
  • RIM ..................+11.2 million units
  • Apple ...............+13.5 million units.
post #38 of 52
I think Nokia will grow strong in 2010/2011. No vendor lock-in, no ridiculous iTunes/Phone coupling, working bluetooth, multitasking, SIM-lock free models available, also available with more than just one (bad) provider... My next phone will almost certainly be a Nokia again.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

We're number THREE!!! We're number THREE!!! We're number three!!!

Let's see, if I remember things correctly (always a crap-shoot at this stage of my life), Nokia started their foray into smartphones in 1996 to establish their smartphone lead (ignoring their earlier general cellphone development), Microsoft with Windows, and RIM in 2002. iPhone rolled out in 2007, and Android of course came out in 2008. Number 3 in the market against more mature players doesn't suck.

Ironically there is no industry-wide accepted definition of "smartphone" beyond the "generally accepted" version of "a mobile phone with advanced capabilities". So even a "dumb phone" that can do email and carry a questionable web browser could be classified as a smartphone.
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Ironically there is no industry-wide accepted definition of "smartphone" beyond the "generally accepted" version of "a mobile phone with advanced capabilities". So even a "dumb phone" that can do email and carry a questionable web browser could be classified as a smartphone.

Which is exactly the problem with Nokia's numbers. Remove all the Nokia junkware and the gap is narrowed considerably.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Gartner: Apple's iPhone was No. 3 worldwide smartphone in 2009