or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple job listing hints at new iPhone OS-based devices

Apple job listing hints at new iPhone OS-based devices

post #1 of 70
A new corporate job listing implies Apple's iPhone OS could become the interface for new hardware beyond the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in the future.

Last week, Apple revealed it is looking to hire an engineering manager to work at its corporate headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. The full-time job would lead a team responsible for the architecture, firmware, core drivers and bring-up of new hardware based on the iPhone OS.

"The Core Platform team within Apple's Core OS organization is looking for a talented and inspired manager to lead a team focused on bring-up of iPhone OS on new platforms," the job listing reads.

Apple is looking for a "very technical and hands-on leader" to work closely with the company's hardware team, and someone who has a thorough understanding of the mobile operating system's underpinnings. The ideal candidate would have experience with Mac OS X or iPhone development, as well as ARM-based systems-on-a-chip.

In 2006, AppleInsider first revealed that Apple planned to utilize a variant of Mac OS X to embed in its mobile devices. That variant eventually became the multitouch iPhone OS, which is based on the underpinnings of Mac OS X. Apple's latest job filing would imply that the iPhone and iPad were just the first two new devices to take advantage of Apple's revolutionary mobile operating system.

The iPhone is based on the ARM processor architecture, which allows for low power consumption in mobile devices. For the forthcoming iPad, Apple created its own custom chip, also based on the ARM architecture and estimated to have cost the company $1 billion to make.

As first reported by AppleInsider in 2008, Apple has been a licensee of the ARM architecture for years. The company also purchased P.A. Semi for $278 million in 2008. Apple's experience with and acquisitions related to chip design could give the hardware maker more flexibility in the future to create unique devices that take full advantage of the iPhone OS.

Apple said its new engineering manager will work with the company's hardware and silicon teams "to bring-up new platforms and prototype systems," and also define the software roadmap for "a range of hardware platforms, including iPhone and iPod." The employee will also "lead the team's assistance in requirements for future hardware and custom silicon."
post #2 of 70
Quote:
A new corporate job listing implies Apple's iPhone OS could become the interface for new hardware beyond the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in the future.

The open OS X UI on Mac's might be doomed. \

Looks like Intel processors use on Mac's is doomed too.

If people buy the (cheaper?) closed iPhone/iPad UI devices to satisfy their needs, it decreases the demand for the open OS X UI devices.

Wow, just when OS X UI market share has exploded around the world.

ARGHHH! I got to use insecure Windows now for a compatible, somewhat stable and open OS? After 20 something years of using Mac's?

Is Apple committing business suicide?

There is certainly some mixed signals coming out of Cupertino lately, including the removal of some racy Apps and some not.

WTF?? I wish Apple would calm the fears out there, I don't want to buy the newest MacBook Pro only to find out it's OS X UI is going to be obsolete soon and no more program development.

Got fooled by the PowerMac G5 and then Blamo! no more OS X development, what a total waste of several thousand dollars that was.
post #3 of 70
I saw this buzz a couple places. And I can see a 'clam-shell' like device with a keyboard and touch screen, but... How would you roll multi-touch into AppleTV? Unless it required a iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone as the remote control...

Now, the core iOS on Apple Silicon with a different (than iPad) UI? That is the future (if it has one) of the AppleTV.

But I can't see the Mac Mini or the MacbBook Air being 'replaced' by iOS devices. The Mac Mini is successful because it it IS a full Fledged Mac. And the cachet for the MB Air is a fully functional, ultra portable, premium laptop. [I can also see an iOS clam-shell device canabalizing this market - which would lead me to say that it won't happen]
post #4 of 70
A4 (and family) expectedly becomes their flagship...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #5 of 70
It would be great to use my iPHONE to go online to PayPal and use it as an charging device - with or without an attached creditcard reader. Since MasterCard is now in GB available with an RFchip built in, I suppose the communication between card and iPHONE could also be done via WiFi.
post #6 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

If people buy the (cheaper?) closed iPhone/iPad UI devices to satisfy their needs, it decreases the demand for the open OS X UI devices.

ARGHHH! I got to use Windows now for a open and compatible device? After 20 something years of using Mac's?

Or this could have nothing to do with macs at all. I could see aspects of iPhone OS going to Apple TV (or touchscreen controllers for Apple TV), a smaller iPad (or bigger iPod touch). Maybe they want to develop a touch screen device that car manufacturers can integrate into their vehicles. iPhone OS requires a computer to sync to, be it windows or mac. If anything it has brought more people to OSX (note the huge increases in mac sales despite some models being very old).
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #7 of 70
Nice!

Seems Apple's got the game figured out for the next few years. This is a great time to be an Apple customer.
post #8 of 70
I bet we'll see it in refrigerators, like a built in cut down family iPad that can be updated via other iDevices
post #9 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

No. There is a lot to be gained from keeping windows-compatible macs running intel. Macs are gaining market share and own a disproportionate amount of profit in this sector.
post #10 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by reliason View Post

I saw this buzz a couple places. And I can see a 'clam-shell' like device with a keyboard and touch screen, but... How would you roll multi-touch into AppleTV? Unless it required a iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone as the remote control...

Now, the core iOS on Apple Silicon with a different (than iPad) UI? That is the future (if it has one) of the AppleTV.

But I can't see the Mac Mini or the MacbBook Air being 'replaced' by iOS devices. The Mac Mini is successful because it it IS a full Fledged Mac. And the cachet for the MB Air is a fully functional, ultra portable, premium laptop. [I can also see an iOS clam-shell device canabalizing this market - which would lead me to say that it won't happen]

Who says the iPhone OS can't handle an apple remote (or iphone remote) if in an apple TV?
post #11 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Or this could have nothing to do with macs at all. I could see aspects of iPhone OS going to Apple TV (or touchscreen controllers for Apple TV), a smaller iPad (or bigger iPod touch). Maybe they want to develop a touch screen device that car manufacturers can integrate into their vehicles. iPhone OS requires a computer to sync to, be it windows or mac. If anything it has brought more people to OSX (note the huge increases in mac sales despite some models being very old).

You could be right, however Apple did remove all but the one white MacBook and substituted a line of iPads in their place.

And Apple didn't port iPhone Apps over to OS X, so you can't use some of the same apps on both computers and your portable devices. Why do this unless you plan the demise of the OS X UI?

How many iPhone Apps have Dashboard copies by the same developer? Does anyone know?
post #12 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

I bet we'll see it in refrigerators, like a built in cut down family iPad that can be updated via other iDevices

I'm hoping for in car displays. I'm tired of poorly designed displays and UIs in cars.
post #13 of 70
Quote:

Apple must have figured out the faster way to grow market was through iTunes and no bikinis.
post #14 of 70
Quote:

You could be right, however Apple did remove all but the one white MacBook and substituted a line of iPads in their place.

And Apple didn't port iPhone Apps over to OS X, so you can't use some of the same apps on both computers and your portable devices. Why do this?

How many iPhone Apps have Dashboard copies by the same developer? Does anyone know?

I guess everybody expects that single task system for devices would be able to displace multitasking OS X. Is that really what you (and Apple) think as future?

I would guess that they may put into devices that do not require much, but simple user interactions:
- cash registers,
- vending machines,
- TV sets,
- standalaone audio control systems (not just portable sources like iPod or iPhone)
- simple user gadgets with screen
- some gadgets with no screen
- e.t.c.

It may also not be about their processor... or it could be if there is one simplified/optimized to microcontroller functions. Who knows?

I am not sure if the want new, closed platform for regular PC that will not cease to exist in near future.
post #15 of 70
iPhone is a killer, no secret there
iPad is likely to be a killer; no surprise expect on that front

What I see is a need for a device between the 3.5" iphone-the Baby Bear and the 10" iPad-Poppa Bear, i.e., a Momma Bear in the 6-7" range

Such a device would be perfect for UPS/FedEx and other genre of couriers (of course it would need a high enough res camera to read bar codes), shop employee who need a true handheld that can easily slip in and out of a holster for on-the-fly invoicing, nurses on the wards to check and document patient details, and other users, not to mention gamers who might find the iPad too big and the iPhone too small. Because of the plethora of business uses, it might even chip away at any windows-based devices that are out on the market

Let's see what the future holds
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm hoping for in car displays. I'm tired of poorly designed displays and UIs in cars.

Amen to that. With so many people using their iPhone/iPod in their cars, it seems silly to allow Microsoft to provide the interface (Ford/Sync).
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

iPhone is a killer, no secret there
iPad is likely to be a killer; no surprise expect on that front

What I see is a need for a device between the 3.5" iphone-the Baby Bear and the 10" iPad-Poppa Bear, i.e., a Momma Bear in the 6-7" range

Such a device would be perfect for UPS/FedEx and other genre of couriers (of course it would need a high enough res camera to read bar codes), shop employee who need a true handheld that can easily slip in and out of a holster for on-the-fly invoicing, nurses on the wards to check and document patient details, and other users, not to mention gamers who might find the iPad too big and the iPhone too small. Because of the plethora of business uses, it might even chip away at any windows-based devices that are out on the market

Let's see what the future holds

Seems logical, but why hire a new person or team just for that? Seems like it would just be a slight re-tooling of products they already have.
post #18 of 70
Finally... they are going to develop the wrist watch people have wanted for years... and it will have holographic technology and laser beams and it's rumoured that they will use new inter-dimentional transporter technology so you can beam yourself to the moon and ride a cosmic space unicorn over rainbow comet dust....
However, the unicorn only comes in gloss.
But it will have a blue tooth.
post #19 of 70
Quote:

And Apple didn't port iPhone Apps over to OS X, so you can't use some of the same apps on both computers and your portable devices. Why do this unless you plan the demise of the OS X UI?

Then they redesigned that single macbook to feature "unibody" construction. Why redesign a product you are phasing out?

You can use iPhone OS apps on a mac if you are a developer and have the iPhone/iPad simulator. Why hasn't Apple given everyone the ability to use iPhone OS apps on a mac? The apps are designed for a touch screen and an arm processor, they wouldn't run natively on OSX and cursor input is less than ideal for multitouch based programs. Apple prides themselves in a superior user experience, they aren't ones to slap on features for the sake of having features.

If Apple was abandoning OSX why would they require it to code iPhone apps? Apple wants more developers using the mac platform in the hopes that some will transition into developing proper OSX programs in addition to iPhone OS programs.

I don't understand how these crazy conspiracy theories come about. Will Apple borrow elements from iPhone OS in future iterations of OSX? Yes. Will iPhone OS get some new OSX features? Yes. Could they eventually merge into one? Maybe, in a long time, but the resulting OS would be a lot different from what we see today.
post #20 of 70
This has little bearing on the Mac OS and I have no idea why some are bleating on about the death of Mac OS X.

The iPhone OS has always been more capable than merely running a phone. I can certainly see a lineup based around A4 and perhaps an A3 or A2 processor as well. Some obvious options.

Nextgen Timecapsule
Nextgen Airport Extreme
Home Server (not based on Mac OS)
Apple TV
Quick Boot feature for Mac laptops where you boot quickly into iPhone OS to email/Calendar/Tweet

Anything small with processing needs is a candidate for iPhone OS.

People needing to run heavy applications, multitask and more are still going to be served by Macs running the latest flavor of Mac OS X with gobs of RAM and storage space.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #21 of 70
WOW, overreacting anyone?

I don't think Apple will drop OS X anytime soon. It's their core, they having iPod, iPhone and iPad drive people to trying it. Maybe from our end the world is moving very fast in terms of OS, but majority of Offices around the world still use Windows XP. So no need to freak out about Apple dropping OS X.

It will still dominate well into the future.

Quote:

ARGHHH! I got to use insecure Windows now for a compatible, somewhat stable and open OS? After 20 something years of using Mac's?

There is certainly some mixed signals coming out of Cupertino lately, including the removal of some racy Apps and some not.

WTF?? I wish Apple would calm the fears out there, I don't want to buy the newest MacBook Pro only to find out it's OS X UI is going to be obsolete soon and no more program development.

Got fooled by the PowerMac G5 and then Blamo! no more OS X development, what a total waste of several thousand dollars that was.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

This has little bearing on the Mac OS and I have no idea why some are bleating on about the death of Mac OS X.

The iPhone OS has always been more capable than merely running a phone. I can certainly see a lineup based around A4 and perhaps an A3 or A2 processor as well. Some obvious options.

Nextgen Timecapsule
Nextgen Airport Extreme
Apple TV
Quick Boot feature for Mac laptops where you boot quickly into iPhone OS to email/Calendar/Tweet

People needing to run heavy applications, multitask and more are still going to be served by Macs running the latest flavor of Mac OS X with gobs of RAM and storage space.

All of your examples are server-type examples, while the iPhone OS is the "ultimate" client operating system, so your "vision" is utterly stupid. Sorry bout that.
post #23 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Yup, and thermostats, remote controls, stoves, etc. Or maybe stoves and fridges will get a iPod/iPad connector, so you can plug one of these in and control it. The devices would communicate via wi-fi so you could control one from another. Whole house control, from inside the house or from a Mac outside the house.

You could check to see whether you left the stove on, and then maybe turn it off.
post #24 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

A new iDrive system for BMW would be a perfect fit..
post #25 of 70
Quote:

Some people live in an all-or-nothing world. They can't see that both could evolove for their respective uses.

Quote:
Nextgen Timecapsule
Nextgen Airport Extreme
Apple TV

The first two I think would be good but I'm not sure if it's needed, number three and four seems like a perfect fit, and the 5th one is intriguing but I think I may need a work up to see why this would be needed when my Mac already boots in under 30 seconds and I rarely ever turn it off.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #26 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

All of your examples are server-type examples, while the iPhone OS is the "ultimate" client operating system, so your "vision" is utterly stupid. Sorry bout that.

Server definition"

http://dictionary.reference.com/

a computer that makes services, as access to data files, programs, and peripheral devices, available to workstations on anetwork.Compare client (def. 5)

Now, given an acceptable definition of Server within the context of computing let's analyze your statement.

Time Capsule. It "does" store data but it doesn't provide a plethora of services and at it's most basic needs connects to an upstream computer. Not a server.

Airport Extreme - provides a bridge from WAN networking to LAN via wired and wireless connections but still doesn't provide services withing a client/server environment

Home Server - About the only one you guessed correctly. I wonder why <tongue in cheek>

Quick Boot feature - not a server

Apple TV - loads media from a client or server computer for playback. Doesn't extend services to other devices. Not a server.

I think it's perhaps best to looks at things from an architectural standpoint. FUD concerning the demise of Mac OS X is foolish simply because it's based around hardware and software that promotes multitasking while the A4 processor is based on low power environments that primarily unitask. ARM cores are nice but they're not going to replace a Core ix processor for general computing for all but the most basic email/calendar/web surfing user.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #27 of 70
Does anyone remember .Mac? It was a poor and overpriced service. Steve Jobs realised that at some point and rolled out a very nice mobileme (yes, with some initial problems). I think the same is true for appleTV. It is a poor and overpriced device. Something that is missing is a device in the living room that can truly act as hub to control TV, stereo in many rooms, store all my photos and movies, stream films and radio to any other device in my house etc. AppleTV should be this device.
post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

Who says the iPhone OS can't handle an apple remote (or iphone remote) if in an apple TV?

I think you misunderstood.

Substitute a different UI on top of the iOS and make it work with a remote? No problem (like I said A4 + iOS kernal + Some other UI = AppleTV future).

But it won't be the iPhone UI. Nor the AppStore (to dependant on/invested in touch based computing.

And can you imagine the Clunkiness of using something akin to a track pad to navigate iPhone apps on a monitor 10 feet away without an onscreen cursor?? Bleah http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...es/1bugeye.gif
post #29 of 70
Quote:

Have you looked at Mac OS X and OS X Server? In many ways there is more in common with them there are with the iPhone OS for the iPhone over iPhone OS for the iPad.

And, NO, they are not all servers. Airport Extreme is a router and the AppleTV is a media extender which already runs Mac OS X at its core, which is the "ultimate client operating system.

Oh yeah, OS X Server, Mac OS X, AppleTV OS, iPhone OS are all based of the same OS base and use much of the same code. They aren't reinventing the wheel here, just optimizing for different terrain.
post #30 of 70
Quote:

Server definition"

http://dictionary.reference.com/

a computer that makes services, as access to data files, programs, and peripheral devices, available to workstations on anetwork.Compare client (def. 5)

Now, given an acceptable definition of Server within the context of computing let's analyze your statement.

I was using a less strict definition of "server", but lets.

Time Capsule. It "does" store data but it doesn't provide a plethora of services and at it's most basic needs connects to an upstream computer. Not a server. [/quote]

It's a fucking backup system, you don't want an iPhone OS on it, period. You want it to be buried inside a cupboard, where it is accessible by your computer.... hey.... like a fucking server!

Quote:
Airport Extreme - provides a bridge from WAN networking to LAN via wired and wireless connections but still doesn't provide services withing a client/server environment

I'll grant you that one... I was simplifying too much. Of course, the suggestion that such machine should have a multitouch UI is fucking stupid. You access to it how? With a "client" computer... as if it was .... a server!

Quote:
Home Server - About the only one you guessed correctly. I wonder why <tongue in cheek>

Quote:
Quick Boot feature - not a server

What does QB have to do with iPhone OS?

Quote:
Apple TV - loads media from a client or server computer for playback. Doesn't extend services to other devices. Not a server.

It works like a "server" to your TV, in a similar fashion to the DVR. It's fucking stupid to incorporate an iPhone OS interface to a gadget whose main interface is the TV with the remote.

Quote:
I think it's perhaps best to looks at things from an architectural standpoint.

More like the functionality of the different gadgets.

Quote:
FUD concerning the demise of Mac OS X is foolish simply because it's based around hardware and software that promotes multitasking while the A4 processor is based on low power environments that primarily unitask. ARM cores are nice but they're not going to replace a Core ix processor for general computing for all but the most basic email/calendar/web surfing user.

Agree, but there's more to that. Why would Apple end with an incredible cash cow that their laptops currently are? It makes no fucking sense. If they killed Mac OS X, they would simply hand over that market to windows. Yeah, that makes sense... if you are a moron. Most Apple consumers would be completely mad over it, and leave the brand altogether.

Why, it appears that the CTs of this thread have managed to conceive of the worst strategy that Apple could come up with (or the best if their purpose was suicide).
post #31 of 70
Apple likely "could" put iPhone OS on a Time Capsule or AE but likely they'll just plop in an A4 processor or derivative (most likely)

That's unless they end up bringing more software functionality.

honestly thoug an A4 based Home Server running a more capable iPhone OS and an Apple TV refresh are the best odds currently.

The iPhone on a Macbook [Pro] is basically a copy of what some PC laptops have where they boot into a quick loading small Linux kernel that allows them to power up check email and calendar data and then power down in a scant few seconds.

I see Apple eventually offering a feature like this yet they will not use Linux but likely iPhone OS.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you looked at Mac OS X and OS X Server? In many ways there is more in common with them there are with the iPhone OS for the iPhone over iPhone OS for the iPad.

Obviously. But since we aren't talking about Mac OS X, but iPhone OS, your comment is.... fucking irrelevant?!?

Quote:
And, NO, they are not all servers. Airport Extreme is a router and the AppleTV is a media extender which already runs Mac OS X at its core, which is the "ultimate client operating system.

I said "type", for a good fucking reason. I wasn't being strict, I was looking at how you use those gadgets. You always use another "client" to access it. In the Airport Extreme, you use all the client computers, you don't need any UI in it, and in the Apple TV, you use your fucking TV, with a remote, which has the opposite conception of "distance" to the multitouch. Capisce now?

Quote:
Oh yeah, OS X Server, Mac OS X, AppleTV OS, iPhone OS are all based of the same OS base and use much of the same code. They aren't reinventing the wheel here, just optimizing for different terrain.

Captain obvious arrives and utters obviosalities. I'm bored already.
post #33 of 70
Really

Time Capsule can go away. It's expensive (for that it is) and the minute a Home Server comes with Time Machine support there's really little need for Time Capsule.

So an lineup that could use the iPhone OS would be

iPad - duh
ATV - no brainer really if Apple want to allow more gaming and web support.
Home Server - A4 would be more than powerful enough for home use.
Macbooks - for quick boot/limited functionality.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #34 of 70
Quote:

So an lineup that could use the iPhone OS would be

iPad - duh

Perhaps you could add an iPhone or an iPod. Dunno, since you're in an obviousality rampage...
Quote:
ATV - no brainer really if Apple want to allow more gaming and web support.

"no brainer"? The ATV uses your TV for interface, how on earth are you going to use the iPhone OS multitouch interface if the ATV's interface is a fucking TV?!?

Hint: YOU WON'T. Stop uttering idiocies.

Quote:
Home Server - A4 would be more than powerful enough for home use.

You don't want to use an iPhone OS for server functionality. Do I need to explain to you why? Do you really want to be embarrassed?!?

Think "file managing", computer managing... aw fuck!

Quote:
Macbooks - for quick boot/limited functionality.

As in the other laptops that had a second screen for windows vista? That kind of functionality?

Do you even have a sane idea?
post #35 of 70
Quote:

Overreact much?
post #36 of 70
Quote:

This is, of course, absurd. Apple's not going to switch the Mac to an ARM device. They're not that stupid.

Nor is the iPad going to bite significantly into Mac sales. They serve different functions and much of the iPad functionality is tied to iTunes - requiring a Mac. Do you think the iPhone cut into Mac sales or expanded Mac sales? Obviously, the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Not even remotely plausible. Their flagship for smaller-than-a-laptop, portable, battery operated devices? Maybe. But it's not going to replace x86 on Macs. Ever.

Quote:

Nextgen Timecapsule
Nextgen Airport Extreme
Apple TV

You've got it exactly. Maybe a few other items:
Apple remote (remember the Apple device to remotely play iTunes through your stereo? This would be a great controller
Apple media player (like the iPad but none of the internet functionality and lower price
Apple answering machine with video voicemail
Etc.

Quote:

No need to apologize for your stupidity. Some people are just born that way.

Instead of pretending you know something, please explain in detail why iPhone OS would be unsuitable for Apple TV or Apple Time Capsule. You can't-it would actually be a very useful solution for those products.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #37 of 70
Quote:

Obviously. But since we aren't talking about Mac OS X, but iPhone OS, your comment is.... fucking irrelevant?!?

Despite all the evidence brought before you by two posters you still can't see how iPhone OS could be given different uses, like how it's been redesigned for the iPad. You're angrrily calling everyone stupid yet you are the one who can't see that a lightweight modular OS has very few limitations to what it can be used for or how the ideas presented by hmurchison are ideal uses for iPhone OS.

Quote:

Time Capsule can go away. It's expensive (for that it is) and the minute a Home Server comes with Time Machine support there's really little need for Time Capsule.

Do you think they'd put an AEBS into a Home Server or keep it as a separate device? Do you think they will keep Time Capsule or have both once a Home Server arrives?
post #38 of 70
Quote:

"no brainer"? The ATV uses your TV for interface, how on earth are you going to use the iPhone OS multitouch interface if the ATV's interface is a fucking TV?!?

Speaking of "uttering idiocies" you have failed to understand anything stated in this thread but you get the asshat award of the day for the nastiness of your ignorance.

He never said the iPHone OS with the iPhone UI. He said the iPhone OS and clearly implied the core mobile OS with a unique interface designed for it, just... like... in the... iPad. With a Home Server or Time Capsule the interface would most likely be rendered through a local app or a browser. Can you not separate the OS from the UI? Can you not see how the current AppleTV uses pretty much the standard Mac OS X Tiger build with a different UI called Backrow?
post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Despite all the evidence brought before you by two posters you still can't see how iPhone OS could be given different uses, like how it's been redesigned for the iPad.

If you call insane speculative ideas as "evidence", I'm laughing already. What the fuck? iPhone OS multitouch screens on Apple TV? That's fucking moronic. On servers? What is this, HP printer tiny screen kinda thing?

[quote]You're angrrily calling everyone stupid[quote]

Actually I haven't called anyone stupid. But I have been already called that.

Quote:
...yet you are the one who can't see that a lightweight modular OS has very few limitations to what it can be used for or how the ideas presented by hmurchison are ideal uses for iPhone OS.

They are stupid usages, and I've explained why. To even state that the iPhone OS is a good OS for a server is so insane that I can't believe that there is anyone defending it.

Quote:
Do you think they'd put an AEBS into a Home Server or keep it a separate device?

I think it's fairly safe to say that in the long run, it will be run within the same small device (a file server for your movies and pictures, and a backup system for your house). Perhaps with multiple HDD. I don't know the timeline of course.
post #40 of 70
Quote:

They are stupid usages, and I've explained why. To even state that the iPhone OS is a good OS for a server is so insane that I can't believe that there is anyone defending it.

1) You have no idea what an OS is.

2) You have no idea what a server is.

3) You have no idea what is being discussed on this thread.

4) You really should apologize for your comments and being completely off base but I have a feeling you'll claim that the other posters didn't mean what they obviously meant. Maybe it's time you take a trip back to Shutter Island.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple job listing hints at new iPhone OS-based devices