or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Superdrive failure

Superdrive failure

post #1 of 4
My 15" mid-2006 Macbook Pro's superdrive has recently stopped working. My attempts to clean it with a CD Lens cleaner disk have been unsuccessful. I've been intending to install a new hard drive and am now thinking that I might replace the superdrive at the same time. How difficult is this? Where can I purchase a compatible optical drive?

Thanks,
Michael
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mji View Post

My 15" mid-2006 Macbook Pro's superdrive has recently stopped working. My attempts to clean it with a CD Lens cleaner disk have been unsuccessful. I've been intending to install a new hard drive and am now thinking that I might replace the superdrive at the same time. How difficult is this? Where can I purchase a compatible optical drive?

Thanks,
Michael

It isn't difficult at all. Optical drive will be the first thing you'll notice right beneath the topcase. There're tons of various screws to unscrew and to not lose, but they are all known, very well documented and even videotaped.
I earnestly recommend Powerbook Medic site as the incontestably best source of parts and comprehensive tear-down guides. Have fun, it's just a computer.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #3 of 4
Thanks... but I decided to give the cleaning disk a few more spins... until the bristles started breaking apart, and lo and behold, the drive gradually started working again. Apparently it just takes persistence, for a while it wouldn't even spin up the cleaning disk fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It isn't difficult at all. Optical drive will be the first thing you'll notice right beneath the topcase. There're tons of various screws to unscrew and to not lose, but they are all known, very well documented and even videotaped.
I earnestly recommend Powerbook Medic site as the incontestably best source of parts and comprehensive tear-down guides. Have fun, it's just a computer.
post #4 of 4
Apple doesn't recommend using cleaning disks. Unfortunately, I'm afraid your problem might not have been fixed for ever.
Anyway, good to know you've got it working again.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Superdrive failure