or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple taken to task for reporting partners' child labor violations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple taken to task for reporting partners' child labor violations

post #1 of 123
Thread Starter 
Apple's new supplier responsibility report, issued last week in advance of its shareholder meeting, is now being used to attack the company for auditing its foreign suppliers' labor practices and acting to stop worker exploitation.

The report, which describes the company's efforts to police a "Supplier Code of Conduct" on the companies it contracts with, those companies' own chain of suppliers, and the foreign worker agencies they use, outlined a number of problems Apple discovered in auditing its overseas suppliers.

Included in the report were details pertaining to the discovery of the illegal employment of children and abusive hiring practices that impose horrific fees upon foreign workers employed at factories which essentially reduce them to being indentured servants.

Report used against Apple

Writing for the Telegraph UK, Malcolm Moore characterized the report's findings to make it sound like Apple had been caught violating the law and had been forced to admit that it was "using child labour in China," when in fact the opposite was actually the case.

In reality, Apple stepped in to police a situation it had no legal responsibility to address. "We required a review of all employment records for the year as well as a complete analysis of the hiring process to clarify how underage people had been able to gain employment [at facilities operated by contractors]," Apple stated in the report.

At one facility, Apple discovered that management had actually been falsifying records to make it appear to be compliant with the company's standards.

"When we investigated," the report notes, "we uncovered records and conducted worker interviews that revealed excessive working hours and seven days of continuous work." Apple subsequently terminated all of its contracts with the factory.

Apple virtually alone in auditing suppliers

The company's crackdown on abusive labor violations, poor working conditions, and environmentally irresponsible activity on the part of companies who manufacture its products or supply it with parts is nearly unprecedented in the tech industry.

Apple reported that its audits pertaining to labor and human rights, health and safety, environmental impacts, and business ethics were in nearly all cases the first attempt a Western corporation had ever made to monitor and react to conditions in those overseas factories.

"During most of our audits," the report said, "suppliers stated that Apple was the only company that had ever audited their facility for supplier responsibility."

Cook, Jobs address supplier responsibility

Apple chief operations officer Tim Cook repeated that fact on stage at the company's shareholder meeting, but insisted that the company doesn't need to trumpet its vanguard position in pushing overseas companies to achieve higher standards in human rights, train their employees to be aware of their rights, and maintain safe working conditions.

Cook said Apple does this not for media attention, but "because it is the right thing to do." Chief executive Steve Jobs echoed the same sentiments, passionately arguing that the media and environmental groups have ignored the real issues to focus mainly on what promises companies were making, even though many companies do not actually meet their promised goals.

Apple, Jobs said, was focused on actually achieving results. By taking real action ranging from reducing its product packaging, increasing efficiency and enhancing recyclability, to auditing its own facilities and supplying partners' factories, to publishing details on the environmental footprint of its products, Apple is pioneering social responsibility in a way that customers will see for themselves and support, Jobs maintained.

The Telegraph UK did not also take other companies to task, making no mention of the complete lack of supplier responsibility reporting from other companies Apple competes against, including HTC, the manufacturer of Google's Nexus One and most other Android and Windows Mobile smartphones.
post #2 of 123
Apple said the child workers are now no longer being used, or are no longer underage. "In each of the three facilities, we required a review of all employment records for the year as well as a complete analysis of the hiring process to clarify how underage people had been able to gain employment," Apple said, in an annual report on its suppliers.

So what's the problem?
post #3 of 123
Bully for Apple.
post #4 of 123
"Apple taken to task for reporting partners' child labor violations"

Once again demonstrating that no good deed goes unpunished.
post #5 of 123
Apple should investigate the recent reports of workers being exposed to toxic chemicals used in the manufacturing of their products. Within the past six months, workers went on strike alleging exposure to toxic chemicals and in the past week there is a report of some workers becoming ill due to exposure.

China should also improve its record on the environment. Their industries are far worse than Europe or the US--not that we are perfect.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #6 of 123
Obviously the Telegraph is missing the whole point, isn't it! Why is Apple being shafted for actually doing something. Slow news day at the Telegraph!!! Malcolm Moore = FAIL!
post #7 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by [CDN]switch View Post

Obviously the Telegraph is missing the whole point, isn't it! Why is Apple being shafted for actually doing something. Slow news day at the Telegraph!!! Malcolm Moore = FAIL!

More like wildly swerving to avoid the point and run over Apple, by the looks of it.
post #8 of 123
Why is it that only companies which do exceptionally well (like Apple) get put under a microscope? Is it out of envy or jealousy? I realize Apple produces a much higher volume than most others but why should that influence the amount of accountability? Then, when a company takes a proactive approach to the next level, they seem to get scrutinized more than others flying under the radar.

It is true....no good deed goes unpunished.

Pretty sad.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #9 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Why is it that only companies which do exceptionally well (like Apple) get put under a microscope? Is it out of envy or jealousy? I realize Apple produces a much higher volume than most others but why should that influence the amount of accountability? Then, when a company takes a proactive approach to the next level, they seem to get scrutinized more than others flying under the radar.

It is true....no good deed goes unpunished.

Pretty sad.


Oh yeah, in case you guys forgot.....TEKSTUD STILL wants Flash and STILL believes the iPad is a big iPod Touch.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #10 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

What can you expect from the "stiff upper lip" idiotic snobs in UK. For hundreds of years these guys pillaged and raped their colonies and now they are acting like they care about 15yr olds working in China. At least the Chinese are not the paedophiles like the Brits.

This comment is totally out of line here and is soooo racist
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
post #11 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Telegraph UK did not also take other companies to task, making no mention of the complete lack of supplier responsibility reporting from other companies Apple competes against, including HTC, the manufacturer of Google's Nexus One and most other Android and Windows Mobile smartphones.

AppleInsider, you are equally as guilty as the Telegraph.co.uk of what we used to call "Prostitution of the Literature."

Except for the headline, i.e., "Apple admits using child labour" and making a blanket unreferenced, thus unconfirmed statement, i.e., "Apple has been repeatedly criticised for using factories that abuse workers and where conditions are poor," the Telegraph.co.uk article is simply a summation of what Apple has recently reported themselves from their investigations.

I don't see anything in the Telegraph.co.uk article that suggest as your headline does, i.e., "Apple [is] taken to task for reporting partners' child labor violations. To suggest that the The Telegraph is using "Apple's new supplier responsibility report, to attack the company for auditing its foreign suppliers' labor practices and acting to stop worker exploitation is downright ludicrous.

I must admit though that the Telegraph could have recognized that Apple's openness is not commonly seen in any company, even including their own

Perhaps a lesson or two in reading is in order. Certainly, a lesson in writing is.
post #12 of 123
As components get smaller and smaller I think the need for smaller and smaller employees is a must. Child labour FTW.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 123
I guess the Western World can't handle knowing where the cheap stuff on their store shelves come from.

Apple is the only company I know of that is VOLUNTARILY doing something about it.

They have absolutely no reason to do so apart from an altruistic motivation to improve conditions for third world workers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #14 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

What can you expect from the "stiff upper lip" idiotic snobs in UK. For hundreds of years these guys pillaged and raped their colonies and now they are acting like they care about 15yr olds working in China.

Past deeds by some back in history doesn't excuse current deeds by others.

Quote:
At least the Chinese are not the paedophiles like the Brits.

Wait, what? Do you want to clarify that? Are you going to blame everyone in an entire society for the deeds of a handful of miscreants?
post #15 of 123
I'm right proud of Apple taking the lead on this. That they are DOING something is marvelous.n Let's hope ot puts pressure on other large corporations to do the same.

It's fairly common knowledge that working conditions in China are often so poor that no-one in my country (USA) would ever accept such conditions quietly. It's important that China develop. It's also important they establish and improve the methods on all fronts as they develop...

Apple gets my applause for all of their movement toward responsible corporate stewardship. Labor, environment, sustainability...

They are still far from perfect, but I will focus on what they're doing right, and encourage them to continue it by giving them my business...
post #16 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wait, what? Do you want to clarify that? Are you going to blame everyone in an entire society for the deeds of a handful of miscreants?

He isn't even trying to make a funny, just being inflammatory. I think some moderating of the comment itself is in orderi.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

What can you expect from the "stiff upper lip" idiotic snobs in UK. For hundreds of years these guys pillaged.... etc etc (the really offending stuff removed).

C'mon. That is totally off-base and uncalled-for. You should withdraw the comment, and apologize to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Except for the headline, i.e., "Apple admits using child labour" and making a blanket unreferenced, thus unconfirmed statement, i.e., "Apple has been repeatedly criticised for using factories that abuse workers and where conditions are poor," the Telegraph.co.uk article is simply summation of what Apple has recently reported themselves from their investigation.

Many people don't to read past the headline. Moreover, it reflects very poorly on the Telegraph-UK to be using a sensationalized headline just to attract eyeballs. That is tawdry on their part, a newspaper that I actually like.
post #18 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

This comment is totally out of line here and is soooo racist

And someone doesn't know what racism means.
post #19 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Oh yeah, in case you guys forgot.....TEKSTUD STILL wants Flash and STILL believes the iPad is a big iPod Touch.

what's that have to do with anything? I didn't see a post to prompt it. Don't come into a forum that tries to discuss serious things and try to stir up fights. What's your motive? Your age?
post #20 of 123
post deleted: operator error!
post #21 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

post deleted: operator error!

I got the screen names mixed up for a second, too.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

what's that have to do with anything? I didn't see a post to prompt it. Don't come into a forum that tries to discuss serious things and try to stir up fights. What's your motive? Your age?


No, not my age as I'm 46. I'm just trying to make light of some ongoing forum silliness. Even on a subject like this, TEKSTUD would make an off topic comment regarding Flash or say one of his other myopic comments.

I apologize if my humor wasn't appreciated.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #23 of 123
iPad out soon - naturally the anti-Apple crap will start flowing.
post #24 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


So what's the problem?

Sounds like Telegraph UK is the problem.
post #25 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

[...]

I must admit though that the Telegraph could have recognized that Apple's openness is not commonly seen in any company, even including their own

Perhaps a lesson or two in reading is in order. Certainly, the a lesson in writing is.

Nothing really to contribute, and certainly no ill will intended, but I simply found the bolded part funny. Heat of the moment, as it were, I'm sure.

Though, to use an annoyingly ubiquitous Internet meme, QTF. Truly, the semantics involved in the republication of nearly identical stories is nauseating; we all know what's up. However, as anantksundaram put it:

Quote:
Many people don't to read past the headline. Moreover, it reflects very poorly on the Telegraph-UK to be using a sensationalized headline just to attract eyeballs. That is tawdry on their part, a newspaper that I actually like.

I must agree on this count as well.
post #26 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

No, not my age as I'm 46. I'm just trying to make light of some ongoing forum silliness. Even on a subject like this, TEKSTUD would make an off topic comment regarding Flash or say one of his other myopic comments.

I apologize if my humor wasn't appreciated.

fair enough. and i agree there's plenty of silliness and worse on these forums. but i've seen some changes in tekstud's posts recently so I thought the gratuitous put-down was unfortunate (edit: and inflammatory). I know, someone stop me before i start singing Kumbayah!
post #27 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I apologize if my humor wasn't appreciated.

Nope, your point is completely valid, though the explanation helped!

No matter what the subject, one almost _expects_ our dear TEKTROLL to make the now-obvious-and-expected commentary (if not to outright hijack the thread). Actually, this isn't always the case, but if you give an inch, 20 miles are taken...

I applaud Apple for making this bold and honest step, even if a bit of criticism was needed to get the ball rolling. As is often the case, they do a very good job of making high-profile "firsts," even if they aren't the original source of the product or behaviour (i.e., they're the first to grab people's attention). While audits don't _fix_ problem, they shine a light on dark places, and hopefully the publicity wheel can initiate some improvement. They have to keep shining that light. (Of course, when the question regards Chinese business and/or government, one can only expect so much progress to be made within reason when the employes are singing this tune: "I owe my soul to the company store," as the song goes... MIners in Appalachia can relate!)

(Yes, the AppleInsider article's title is a bit misleading. The actual Telegraph article's title is "Apple admits using child labour," and the article explains how Apple is coming clean about this and related issues.)
post #28 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post


(Yes, the AppleInsider article's title is a bit misleading. The actual Telegraph article's title is "Apple admits using child labour," and the article explains how Apple is coming clean about this and related issues.)

Give me a break. You can't tell the difference between a headline that says "Apple admits using child labor," and one that intends to say "Apple's suppliers found in Apple audit to use child labor"?

The former is purely incendiary. (Ask your 'writing' pal above if you are unable to see the difference).
post #29 of 123
For those who don't know, The Telegraph is the main UK right-wing 'broadsheet' (as in, not tabloid) paper. It generally has a fairly good standard of journalism, and this article does seem to be oddly slanted against Apple - I wonder why?
post #30 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

it reflects very poorly on the Telegraph-UK to be using a sensationalized headline just to attract eyeballs. That is tawdry on their part, a newspaper that I actually like.

The Telegraph's online website is widely known for writing 'link-bait' articles, to get their online readership up. "Apple" in a headline draws lots of readers. I hope AppleInsider is at least linking with rel=nofollow.

I presume the Telegraph does it so that they can proclaim themselves "Number 1" (in Hit-Wise's 'independent' statistics, etc.) and get more advertising revenue.
post #31 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As components get smaller and smaller I think the need for smaller and smaller employees is a must. Child labour FTW.

Children are essential. They could polish the rifle shells with their fingers. Their fingers!!

Oskar Schindler was on to something . . .

In any case, if that was true (I've done very little research on Schindler, most of it's on Rudolf Kasztner - also a rescuer) that was absolute genius.
post #32 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

what's that have to do with anything? I didn't see a post to prompt it. Don't come into a forum that tries to discuss serious things and try to stir up fights. What's your motive? Your age?

haha, thats a good one. serious forum?
post #33 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple said the child workers are now no longer being used, or are no longer underage. "In each of the three facilities, we required a review of all employment records for the year as well as a complete analysis of the hiring process to clarify how underage people had been able to gain employment," Apple said, in an annual report on its suppliers.

So what's the problem?

The problem is yellow journalism, and U.K. tabloids are notorious for it. It stared with Pulitzer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

Probably the most glaring example in the tech world is Cnet News, PC World, and even MacWorld. One could also place the label on blogs and websites whose sole purpose is to generate ad clicks, which is why they are called "click whore" sites.

AppleInsider is borderline yellow and getting worse.
post #34 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The problem is yellow journalism, and U.K. tabloids are notorious for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

The Telegraph isn't a tabloid.
post #35 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I see the forum monitor has shown up again. Mr moral and integrity, if you want an apology, then step up and tell him you were offended like the pansy you are. Don't speak for the me though, it's not your place.

I am quite glad not to speak for the likes of you.

Just to clarify, I was speaking for myself earlier.
post #36 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

The Telegraph isn't a tabloid.

Excuse me. My bad. I meant to say that ALL U.K. tabloids AND newspapers are yellow. Period.
post #37 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

AppleInsider, you are equally as guilty as the Telegraph.co.uk of what we used to call "Prostitution of the Literature."

Except for the headline, i.e., "Apple admits using child labour" and making a blanket unreferenced, thus unconfirmed statement, i.e., "Apple has been repeatedly criticised for using factories that abuse workers and where conditions are poor," the Telegraph.co.uk article is simply a summation of what Apple has recently reported themselves from their investigations.

I don't see anything in the Telegraph.co.uk article that suggest as your headline does, i.e., "Apple [is] taken to task for reporting partners' child labor violations. To suggest that the The Telegraph is using "Apple's new supplier responsibility report, to attack the company for auditing its foreign suppliers' labor practices and acting to stop worker exploitation is downright ludicrous.

I must admit though that the Telegraph could have recognized that Apple's openness is not commonly seen in any company, even including their own

Perhaps a lesson or two in reading is in order. Certainly, the a lesson in writing is.

I think you are being really naive here or are perhaps simply wrong.

IMO the article in question is very leading at best and does indeed "take Apple to task" for child labour. It's the worst kind of yellow journalism in that while it does not specifically lie about anything but through only mentioning *some* facts, paints a picture almost completely opposite to the reality of the situation.

It's whole fabric is predicated on the question of whether or not Apple employs child labour (an obviously abhorrent and illegal thing), and it's title is "Apple admits using child labour." It then brings up every nasty incident recently known to have occurred at Apple's factories whether they are related to the accusation or not, without mentioning any of the good things. It never puts any of this into context by mentioning that other companies have far worse records than Apple, that Apple has in fact got one of the best records in this area, or that it was their report that revealed the abuse etc.

It's a completely slanted presentation, and on purpose by the look of it.
post #38 of 123
People take the Telegraph seriously? Next you'll start quoting from the Daily Mail...
post #39 of 123
"Writing for the Telegraph UK, Malcolm Moore characterized the report's findings to make it sound like Apple had been caught violating the law and had been forced to admit that it was "using child labour in China," when in fact the opposite was actually the case. "

Really? Have you actually read the article?

It's mild criticism at best. Most of what's in it is reporting the facts straight from the document..
post #40 of 123
Did Murdoch buy it?

If he did, then it's a tabloid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

The Telegraph isn't a tabloid.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple taken to task for reporting partners' child labor violations