or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources - Page 5

post #161 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I think the point is, why would you need the rest of the computer if it only plays media? do you really want a keyboard and mouse hooked up to your TV? A mac mini would require that in it's current form. I've done it and I'm much happier with the Apple TV. Surfing the internet and working on a television display just isn't practical. People want something more like a traditional appliance than a computer. Put the server in a closet and forget the extra hassle.

A computer, with the right SW, can play back any format.

The ATV only plays back whatever iTunes allows. If I download a movie for another vendor, want to stream some Netflix movies, pop in a DVD/BR, etc, a computer can do that; the Apple TV can't.

I have my current PC hooked to my 1080p TV though VGA, I control it with a Logitech PS3 (Bluetooth) KB/trackpad, it works great. When I get the parts for my new build, it will be through HDMI, and I'll be adding a BR drive to it too.

I don't necessarily want to surf the web on my HDTV; I want a true multimedia PC, that can also play games. Even my 360 can't do all of that.

I would at some point like a NAS, but companies put too much control in traditional settop boxes, Apple, Sony, and MS among them. If you can't control the content, you can't control the revenue.
post #162 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

I think the point is, why would you need the rest of the computer if it only plays media? do you really want a keyboard and mouse hooked up to your TV? Surfing the internet and working on a television display just isn't practical.

I assue you it is extremely practical. With an Apple wireless mouse and keyboard on the coffee table my son uses it all the time. Works really, really well. The main thing that would improve it is a wireless multitouch trackpad.
post #163 of 194
I think the Mini's DVI port is important for switchers. DVI + HDMI would be more useful than Mini-DP + HDMI.

Also the new Intel i5s that came out in Jan have onboard graphics, if used with an H55 chipset. I really love the Mac Mini and buy every revision, and was hoping for an i3 or i5 in the next one. However quietness is my primary concern with this computer and if they need another revision with Core 2 Duo to preserve than then I'm all for it. But more than likely their concern is the video performance.
post #164 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Turning the Notebooks and Mac Minis into stealth Apple TV units to play iTunes content.

I'm kind of hoping ALL miniDPs can output video and sound one day through an adaptor (I have a '08 MacBook Pro), but this doesn't sound too hopeful from the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Hmmm. I wonder if this means Blu-ray drives are a comin'. A home theater computer should contain everything the home theater needs, after all.


how or why would BD work thru your mac instead of direct from a BD drive to your HD TV ??
i miss the point of BD BEING ONA SMALL SCREEN AT ALL ??


Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Tried the other day to connect my MBP to a receiver thru a DVI-to-HDMI-cable. Works, but at least my ONKYO receiver and SHARP LCD-TV gave a couple of unwanted results. The Mac does a great discovery and notes that theres is a TV behind the cable. However, when trying to fit the picture to the screen it offers only two things:

a smaller but sharp picture including the whole desktop but a large black area around it
a picture filling the TV-screen which actually is to large leaving the outer limits of the desktop outside viewable area.

Can of course be something else, but just a DVI-to-HDMI adapter needs more than just pins.

I love this! Either they upgrade AppleTV with some more juice or the skip it and do something creative based on MacMini with HDMI output!!!

i have almost the same set up
keep on fiddling with it and the screens should match up
did you click mirror ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

I hope they just enable audio on the mini-Displayport and make a mini-DP -> HDMI adapter available. I'd prefer Displayport to become more successful.

why ??? i want FW 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm kind of tired of hearing about how often they mess with display adapter technology when we're STILL stuck with USB 2.0. I can't stand syncing my iPhone because it takes forever. Where's eSATA?

Computer speed has quadrupled in speed and the external technologies haven't changed in almost a decade.

AGAIN FW 1600 or eSATA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Like many have already stated, there is really no need for HDMI ports on iMac for instance.
If they would just enable audio on the mDP that would be fine. They could sell an adapter for it
or let 3rd party handle that.

The adapters nowadays for mDP WITH audio are around 100 bucks. A bit expensive in my book.

THEIR IS NO NEED FOR AN APPLE TV AT ALL
MY MBP WORKS FINE
I PLAYED COD4 and it rocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Yea, I miss my old Firewire iPod.

I got myself the iPod Classic, loaded it up with all my playlists and music and left it like that, no constant updating needed.

Must be a pain for those with a large music library and a iPod Touch, waiting for it to load it up.

weird but i have all the old wires from those FW days
and i used a fire wire plug on the new ipod classic 160g and it charged up real quick on my 4 yr old imac
APPLe killed fire wire becuzzzze 80 out of 100 itunes users are msft idiots >>so we are stuck with usb forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

I currently connects my 2009 Mini to my 26" LG LCD TV via a DVI ->HDMI converter cable, the picture is perfect on full screen. I did have your problems but there's an option on the TV menu where it will adjust the picture to fit full screen.

So I would say play around with the settings on both the computer and the TV and Im sure you will get a perfect picture soon.

true
you can get a pristine picture
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #165 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

A computer, with the right SW, can play back any format.

The ATV only plays back whatever iTunes allows. If I download a movie for another vendor, want to stream some Netflix movies, pop in a DVD/BR, etc, a computer can do that; the Apple TV can't.

I have my current PC hooked to my 1080p TV though VGA, I control it with a Logitech PS3 (Bluetooth) KB/trackpad, it works great. When I get the parts for my new build, it will be through HDMI, and I'll be adding a BR drive to it too.

I don't necessarily want to surf the web on my HDTV; I want a true multimedia PC, that can also play games. Even my 360 can't do all of that.

I would at some point like a NAS, but companies put too much control in traditional settop boxes, Apple, Sony, and MS among them. If you can't control the content, you can't control the revenue.

dude you can play any movie on this planet on your apple TV
you have to convert the code first
there is one legal set up that will convert a media file into 4 diff formats or sizes for you so you can play that movie on your ipod touch ipod classic on your mac quicktime
and or mac itunes and port it 2 ways to your TV set ,

Yet i also have a net flix roku box which does far more than itunes or ATV can and my tv it self can handle files for play back and my HD DVR HARD DRIVE has SECRET connection's on the back that allow for my own data to be added to the time warner box or i can piggy back my own hard drives for added space or to directly play back my own movies from multiple sources thru my time warner box to my TV / MY 8 G FLASH DRIVE CAN BE PLUGGED IN AND PLAY A MOVIE ON THE SPOT
TIME WARNER HAS THIS FEATURE TURNED OFF RIGHT NOW
but soon i will kill all gatekeepers and play MY movies in any way i please
in a simple no hassle way . SOON i hope .

i like your setup
sounds cool


peace

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #166 of 194
I so want this on the 13.3" MBP refresh. Last few hotels I've been in have had LCD TVs with HDMI input. Would be great for travel.
post #167 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidconti View Post

I so want this on the 13.3" MBP refresh. Last few hotels I've been in have had LCD TVs with HDMI input. Would be great for travel.

What do you have that can't be used with one of many cables on the market?

HDMI ports on a MBP is not likely to happen. Mini-DisplayPort is the future on PCs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #168 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What do you have that can't be used with one of many cables on the market?

HDMI ports on a MBP is not likely to happen. Mini-DisplayPort is the future on PCs.

Older (2008) MacBook Pros have a DVI out. Just use a DVI to HDMI cable.

For the newest Macbooks, you'll need both the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI and a USB Audio. Not nearly as cheap as the older Macbook solution, but not horrible:

https://shops.godaddy.com/Elmenos/Me...Apple-Macbook/

Can't seem to find an equivelent DVI/USB Audio to HDMI converter. Hopefully someone else knows of one...
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #169 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Older (2008) MacBook Pros have a DVI out. Just use a DVI to HDMI cable.

For the newest Macbooks, you'll need both the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI and a USB Audio. Not nearly as cheap as the older Macbook solution, but not horrible:

https://shops.godaddy.com/Elmenos/Me...Apple-Macbook/

The one you posted is very overpriced. Monoprice.com is the way to go for any cables, adpaters and convertors...
mDP+USB-Audio-to-HDMI adpater $37
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #170 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The one you posted is very overpriced. Monoprice.com is the way to go for any cables, adpaters and convertors...
mDP+USB-Audio-to-HDMI adpater $37

True. Found a new one at Amazon for $45 if they don't want to go through a small vendor.

http://www.amazon.com/Displayport-Fe...7550991&sr=1-6

Anyone heard of a similar rig for DVI to HDMI with USB Audio? I can't find one.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #171 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

True. Found a new one at Amazon for $45 if they don't want to go through a small vendor.

http://www.amazon.com/Displayport-Fe...7550991&sr=1-6

There is inherent protection via Amazon, but the device will come from a small vendor. Monoprice is quick large and well known. I've never had a problem with them and their customer service is good. I also stand behind Newegg for online sales.

Quote:
Anyone heard of a similar rig for DVI to HDMI with USB Audio? I can't find one.

Oddly no, just expensive convertor boxes. Which makes no sense to me since DVI and HDMI are the same signaling, which DVI being minus the audio. For those that aren't aware, Macs with DisplayPort signaling out the mDP port can also convert to the DVI or HDMI automatically, which is why only an adapter for the port is required, not a convertor box for the signal type.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #172 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is inherent protection via Amazon, but the device will come from a small vendor. Monoprice is quick large and well known. I've never had a problem with them and their customer service is good. I also stand behind Newegg for online sales.



Oddly no, just expensive convertor boxes. Which makes no sense to me since DVI and HDMI are the same signaling, which DVI being minus the audio. For those that aren't aware, Macs with DisplayPort signaling out the mDP port can also convert to the DVI or HDMI automatically, which is why only an adapter for the port is required, not a convertor box for the signal type.

I prefer Amazon as I like the fact that I have an arbitrator in case of disputes.

I found the lack of convertors rather odd as well. I suppose you could simply rely on the laptop for audio output while piping the video only to the TV. Might sound 'tinny' but it would work well enough for business trips and whatnot.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #173 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I prefer Amazon as I like the fact that I have an arbitrator in case of disputes.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with Monoprice. I know they can't be perfect, but they have a better reputation than just about anyone else. Based on my Monoprice experience, I would actually prefer Monoprice over Amazon even at an equal price, though I really haven't had a problem with Amazon.

How often do you need an arbiter? I've never needed an arbiter for any purchase I've made in my life, ever. I don't think it's worth adding 20% or so to the price for such a small risk. At worst, I could do a chargeback, though I've never needed to do that either.
post #174 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

A computer, with the right SW, can play back any format.

The ATV only plays back whatever iTunes allows. If I download a movie for another vendor, want to stream some Netflix movies, pop in a DVD/BR, etc, a computer can do that; the Apple TV can't.

I have my current PC hooked to my 1080p TV though VGA, I control it with a Logitech PS3 (Bluetooth) KB/trackpad, it works great. When I get the parts for my new build, it will be through HDMI, and I'll be adding a BR drive to it too.

I don't necessarily want to surf the web on my HDTV; I want a true multimedia PC, that can also play games. Even my 360 can't do all of that.

I would at some point like a NAS, but companies put too much control in traditional settop boxes, Apple, Sony, and MS among them. If you can't control the content, you can't control the revenue.

There are a lot of hacks available for the ATv. When it first came out, Jobs said that you bought it, you could do anything you wanted to with it. A true hobby indeed!

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
post #175 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There are a lot of hacks available for the ATv. When it first came out, Jobs said that you bought it, you could do anything you wanted to with it. A true hobby indeed!

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

There are a lot of great hacks for it but it's too bad they didn't open up the USB port from the beginning. Now it's easy work to put into diagnostic mode and install everything you need down to the codecs, but there were some major hoops at first.

There is also a recent release of a mini-PCI 1080p decoder card that will fit in the AppleTV, which is one reason why video streaming with Boxee was so bad. Of course, you have to remove the current mini-PCI card that gives you your wireless...
http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3701 PS: On the flip side, there some interesting ways to get the AppleTV look and feel on a Mac without the limitations.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #176 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are a lot of great hacks for it but it's too bad they didn't open up the USB port from the beginning. Now it's easy work to put into diagnostic mode and install everything you need down to the codecs, but there were some major hoops at first.

There is also a recent release of a mini-PCI 1080p decoder card that will fit in the AppleTV, which is one reason why video streaming with Boxee was so bad. Of course, you have to remove the current mini-PCI card that gives you your wireless...
http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3701 PS: On the flip side, there some interesting ways to get the AppleTV look and feel on a Mac without the limitations.

People have even installed OS X on it.
post #177 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

People have even installed OS X on it.

That I don't recommend. While the AppleTV OS isn't much different from Mac OS X (I'd say less different than the OS X flavours in the iPhone and iPad) there are too many services and too many issues that cause it to be slow and somewhat wonky. I did it with OSx86 and didn't care for it at all. perhaps they've streamlined it since I tried it, but I think it's best just add to the AppleTV OS than to use Mac OS X and then take stuff out.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #178 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That I don't recommend. While the AppleTV OS isn't much different from Mac OS X (I'd say less different than the OS X flavours in the iPhone and iPad) there are too many services and too many issues that cause it to be slow and somewhat wonky. I did it with OSx86 and didn't care for it at all. perhaps they've streamlined it since I tried it, but I think it's best just add to the AppleTV OS than to use Mac OS X and then take stuff out.

But it does work, and not too badly from what I've read. Just as with OSX working much better on netbooks that run Windows 7 Starter poorly, but run OS X well, the same seems to be true here. It's interesting that it can be done at all. The fact that Apple is leaving the tv wide open to people is nice.
post #179 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with Monoprice. I know they can't be perfect, but they have a better reputation than just about anyone else. Based on my Monoprice experience, I would actually prefer Monoprice over Amazon even at an equal price, though I really haven't had a problem with Amazon.

How often do you need an arbiter? I've never needed an arbiter for any purchase I've made in my life, ever. I don't think it's worth adding 20% or so to the price for such a small risk. At worst, I could do a chargeback, though I've never needed to do that either.

Thanks for letting me know. Feel free to shop whatever sites you prefer, and I'll do the same. Unless there is some fact check out on the web somewhere that proves that Monoprice has a better reputation than 'anyone else' or that you've spoken to every customer that Monoprice has serviced, then you claims are only that. Claims based on your personal experience with them. I'm sure if I went to their website I would see reviews full love and sunshine. No thanks. I tend to be a bit more careful with my cash. If I happen to order from them via Amazon, then so be it, but I have a better chance of evaluating a vendor with thousands of votes as to their subjective quality of service, then I will reading such reviews on the vendors site. The vendor is under no legal obligation to post bad reviews on their own site. They might be a fine vendor but I'll be the judge of that.

I've actually needed an arbiter for a few purchases. One for a Blu-Ray they claimed was delivered but wasn't, and another for a defective video card that didn't work out of the box. If Amazon costs me only $8 more, I will choose them every time, knowing that I don't have to worry about being screwed. That's my prerogative.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
Reply
post #180 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But it does work, and not too badly from what I've read. Just as with OSX working much better on netbooks that run Windows 7 Starter poorly, but run OS X well, the same seems to be true here. It's interesting that it can be done at all. The fact that Apple is leaving the tv wide open to people is nice.

Not badly, but not well. It's just doesn't make for a decent Mac. For playing around with sure, but that is it. Now, Mac OS X on a netbook is better than and Windows and more useful than any version of Linux. You even get more battery time.

PS: To do these requires hacking Mac OS X, which I thought you were against.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #181 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

I see by your typo and lack of a 15 page reply that you've hit the bottle again.

Can I be banned for commenting on an arrogant posting with the same disregard for feelings?

Go to bed and get up ad post a relevant coherent posting. This is really starting to become a habit for you and I rarely log on to call you out on your lack of knowledge and incoherent postings.

Majority of your posts have no factual evidence and he is likes to be childish by calling people names.

You talk about being arrogant and not coherent in posting

P.S. who cares about people's spelling mistakes, so childish in nature.
post #182 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Thanks for letting me know. Feel free to shop whatever sites you prefer, and I'll do the same. Unless there is some fact check out on the web somewhere that proves that Monoprice has a better reputation than 'anyone else' or that you've spoken to every customer that Monoprice has serviced, etc, etc, etc etc

Try this independent ratings site.
post #183 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not badly, but not well. It's just doesn't make for a decent Mac. For playing around with sure, but that is it. Now, Mac OS X on a netbook is better than and Windows and more useful than any version of Linux. You even get more battery time.

PS: To do these requires hacking Mac OS X, which I thought you were against.

If people are having fun with it, then it doesn't have to be as fast as a Mini. That's not why they're doing it.

I'm not saying I'm doing it, but I'm not going to pretend when something is done that it isn't being one. I'm not saying it should be done, just that it is being done.
post #184 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Thanks for letting me know. Feel free to shop whatever sites you prefer, and I'll do the same. Unless there is some fact check out on the web somewhere that proves that Monoprice has a better reputation than 'anyone else' or that you've spoken to every customer that Monoprice has serviced, then you claims are only that. Claims based on your personal experience with them. I'm sure if I went to their website I would see reviews full love and sunshine. No thanks. I tend to be a bit more careful with my cash. If I happen to order from them via Amazon, then so be it, but I have a better chance of evaluating a vendor with thousands of votes as to their subjective quality of service, then I will reading such reviews on the vendors site. The vendor is under no legal obligation to post bad reviews on their own site. They might be a fine vendor but I'll be the judge of that.

...

That's my prerogative.

Of course it's your prerogative. It's not just my experience, out of numerous mentions on several web sites & podcasts, I haven't seen anyone complain about Monoprice, every mention was positive, and they all sounded grass-roots rather than spamming.

You mentioned product ratings, I'd be surprised if all these weren't the exact same product.

If you want an independent set of ratings about the retailer, here you go:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/monoprice

(looks like stompy beat me to it)
post #185 of 194
I am disappointment because they will use again Core 2 Duo - maybe quadcore in this little bugger is impossible but I will be really happy see it happen
post #186 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguider View Post

maybe quadcore in this little bugger is impossible but I will be really happy see it happen

Someday. Probably not this year though.
post #187 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

BluRay, like Flash, is just a placeholder, while better things develop.

To not understand this, is to be left behind. I don't care that average AV heads don't get it, I'm just glad Apple does.

Being able to see more than 3 years into the future is why Apple is where they are, with what they have.

You're deluding yourself if you think that Apple isn't endorsing Blu-ray for any other reason than they feel that it competes with their closed system profit model. Virtually EVERY technology is a placeholder for the "next big thing". You may not be aware of this, but packaged media sales (DVD and BD) are up over last year (2009) - not hugely so, but physical media is not in decline in 2010 versus 2009. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...rtid=Cover2#/2

Also, in much the same way that music downloads haven't come close to completely killing physical media for music, it's pretty unreasonable to expect video downloads (with higher bitrate and bandwidth requirements and drastically less format standardization) to kill physical media for video.
post #188 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You might be right, if it wasn't for Apple embracing and encouraging the post blu-ray/optical disk technology.





Yes and how many of those people actually want to watch blu-ray movies on their much smaller computer.

Probably not as many as you think

I work in the industry and even when we are creating something at blu-ray quality, it is burned and taken to a viewing room to be tested, NOT just played back on a computer. Because that 50 inch screen, surround sound etc is how the end result is going to be view by you and the rest of Joe Q Public in 99% of cases.



You are correct about this. However, for all we know, Apple is leading the drive to create new codecs and compressions to have 1080p files that aren't 6 times the size of a 720.



Except we're talking about blanks, not pressed commercial titles etc

And while you can find some cheap Blu-ray blanks, they are often no name companies etc. When you are backing up data most folks will want some level of guaranteed reliability and that means way more per GB than a hard drive.



More like smart. Because he's getting the facts first hand. When he says that there's issues, that the licensing is too expensive and complex, he knows. Not 'he heard'

So, let me get this straight -- since people don't buy the BDs with the INTENT of watching them on their laptop or iMac for instance (which I happen to agree with), Apple shouldn't put a BD player in said devices like EVERY OTHER HARDWARE MFGR, so that if you happen to be on an airline flight with your laptop you'll need to buy said movie (which you already own on BD) via Apple's iTunes because . . . . your laptop won't play BDs. Weird how that works out, huh? And that's only one use-case where having a laptop BD player makes sense. Bottom line: this isn't about "the future" it's about Apple's revenue model . . . take off the fan boy glasses.
post #189 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodory View Post

You're deluding yourself if you think that Apple isn't endorsing Blu-ray for any other reason than they feel that it competes with their closed system profit model. Virtually EVERY technology is a placeholder for the "next big thing". You may not be aware of this, but packaged media sales (DVD and BD) are up over last year (2009) - not hugely so, but physical media is not in decline in 2010 versus 2009. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...rtid=Cover2#/2

Also, in much the same way that music downloads haven't come close to completely killing physical media for music, it's pretty unreasonable to expect video downloads (with higher bitrate and bandwidth requirements and drastically less format standardization) to kill physical media for video.

Killing physical media sales is a higher bar than download proponents realize. iTunes is close to accounting for half of all music sold, someone on this forum posted an article that said they'll probably hit that milestone this year.

I do agree that paid video has a long way to go. Apple is very quiet about their video sales or rental figures, which leads me to suspect that it's anything but impressive. I don't think any other downloadable video seller is pushing much volume either.
post #190 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Killing physical media sales is a higher bar than download proponents realize. iTunes is close to accounting for half of all music sold, someone on this forum posted an article that said they'll probably hit that milestone this year.

I do agree that paid video has a long way to go. Apple is very quiet about their video sales or rental figures, which leads me to suspect that it's anything but impressive. I don't think any other downloadable video seller is pushing much volume either.

I didn't realize that iTunes had hit or was approaching 50% -- that's pretty incredible. Last time I checked, however, overall music sales (in USD terms) had risen -- I think that was in 2007 or 2008? Which would indicate that, indeed, downloads compliment, not replace physical media. I'm not saying that in some specific circumstances downloads don't replace physical, just that on the whole if the entire pie is getting larger (remember, primary advantages of downloads are: convenience and portability), then the effect is additive, not zero sum.

On top of that, the iTunes store opened in 2003 and it's now 2010. While hitting 50% of market share in 7 years is certainly nothing to minimize, the challenges (format, licensing, bandwidth, storage, DRM) are far more significant for video than they were for music. This, of course, doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it's likely to take a lot longer than 7 years to reach 50% market share. In fact, Apple started selling video downloads via iTunes in what, 2005? I think it's pretty clear that the growth rate of music downloads and video downloads are no where near the same. . . .
post #191 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Older (2008) MacBook Pros have a DVI out. Just use a DVI to HDMI cable.

For the newest Macbooks, you'll need both the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI and a USB Audio. Not nearly as cheap as the older Macbook solution, but not horrible:

https://shops.godaddy.com/Elmenos/Me...Apple-Macbook/

Can't seem to find an equivelent DVI/USB Audio to HDMI converter. Hopefully someone else knows of one...

I don't even have an Apple laptop at the moment. Just using an old Thinkpad with VGA when I travel. It would be nice to have HDMI built-in so I don't have to carry a clunky adapter. Not that the lack of HDMI out would be a deal-breaker on a new Arrandale 13" for me anyway, just saying it would be nice.
post #192 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I do agree that paid video has a long way to go. Apple is very quiet about their video sales or rental figures, which leads me to suspect that it's anything but impressive. I don't think any other downloadable video seller is pushing much volume either.

Yep. Buying digital video that's locked to a single device (or family of devices) will be a terrible idea up until the iPod has 5TB of storage space and can output blu-ray quality video and sound with an iPod-Dock-to-HDMI cable. At that point, your video library would truly be as portable as physical media and compatible with any modern-day television. Oh yeah, and all movies would have to be available for sale in HD on the iTunes Store on release day and until the end of time, instead of just some movies, some of the time — which is how it works now.
post #193 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguider View Post

I am disappointment because they will use again Core 2 Duo - maybe quadcore in this little bugger is impossible but I will be really happy see it happen

Well I'm not sure they will go Core 2 again, it is not like Apple has said where they are going here. Given that does it really matter considering the head room they have in the Mini. Let's face it they could bump the clock rate significantly, add in Nvidias 9400M replacement and have one very nice upgrade. They might be able to manage a 40% increase in real performance.

With respect to performance let's not be suckered in by some of the numbers posted around the net. While the numbers are real they are for the most part the result of new instructions in the SIMD units. That doesn't mean alot when Apple is heavily using the GPU to do what others are doing on the CPU. OpenCL is the big club that Apple can us to make sure performance remains acceptable.

On a side note if Apple really wanted to send Intel a message they would make us of AMDs three core CPUs in the Mini. For many tasks the performance is excellent and they don't have Intels GPU built in. It is the right CPU for the Mini and AMD/ ATI can supply very good GPUs to go with it.

I'm just sitting back wondering how long it will be before Apple just says: screw you Intel. I can't imagine anybody at Apple is happy with Intels integrated Graphics chips in their new CPUs.


Dave
post #194 of 194
Hmmm, in the past I was quite interested in a hdmi equiped mini. But ever since the PS3 netflix support was rolled out, the equation has changed somewhat.

The PS3 offers higher definition netflix streaming than available on full-blown computers. That's correct, the stream offered to windows and mac OSes is a lower bit-rate than can be had via a PS3 or other blu-ray or dedicated streaming boxes. (This could be an intellectual property issue on systems that could potentially rip the stream to disk.)

If the mini were to get hdmi, blu-ray, and better netflix support, our quest for a perfect home theater media source would finally come to an end. I'm not holding my breath though. It seems like every currently available product has major shortcomings and that those shortcomings aren't likely to be addressed in the next release.

Looks like we'll need to wait a few more years to finally get a single box capable of everything. Not even a laboriously researched, built, and maintained HTPCs can do everything. Neither will the new mini... but it could. Netflix simply needs to enable HD streaming for consumer operating systems. For those who don't use or haven't seen netflix streaming, this may seem like making a mountain out of a molehill. But there are millions of people who use netflix streaming on a regular basis. People who originally signed up for netflix for discs by mail, have slowly realized that their gaming console (or kid's gaming console) is capable of streaming movies. The setup process involves going to the netflix website, something they were doing already, and typing in the 6 digit code that appears on their TV screen. After that, they tend to watch more and more streaming movies. Why not? No waiting for disks in the mail and the HD streams look better than DVD anyway.

Why all this fixation on netflix? They just happen to be the most popular and advanced streaming service available right now. When discussing the inclusion of hdmi on a mac mini, video playback is certainly the crux of the issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple prepping first Macs with HDMI - sources