or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › A modest proposal

A modest proposal

post #1 of 10
Does anyone here read J. Swift?
In particular "a modest proposal"
its great, In English class we are reading swift, and our current assignment is to create are own modest proposal in the style of Swift's.
I'm doing mine as
" a modest proposal on how to solve our nations oil problems" (I'm going to add more to the title as I devlop it)

My proposal is that we (no offense, this is a satirical essay, not my real opinions)annex canada and make them our oil mining slaves.
My one problem is I don't know how much oil is in canada...I'd wager alot because its so vast...but I'm not sure. if there is little oil in canada then I'm ****ed cause then my proposal is bunk(well not totally...but mostly)
is there alot of oil in canada?

*note* This essay is model for the US, in our current day time, other country reps here, take no heed to this(unless your canadian *
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #2 of 10
wierd, my class had the exact same assignment. You don't happen to go to school in San Francisco do you?
post #3 of 10
Just because what you propose is bunk doesnt mean that you shouldnt propose it... Swift's main intention was to make people realize that there was a problem as most people were ignoring it at the time... His solution (treating children as livestock i belive) was not exactly viable, but it made people take notice... or @ least thats what I got from it from my screwy english teacher last year...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #4 of 10
I had the same assignment in high school too. I went to St. Mary's in Berkeley (CA). Mine was that we should use old people (who are otherwise useless) as labourers for all the undesirable jobs that no one else would want. The reasoning was that they're going to die soon anyway, so we wouldn't need to worry about safety standards.
"America is a society where intellect seems to be out of style, replaced by garish gold jewelry, and winter clothes worn year round."
"America is a society where intellect seems to be out of style, replaced by garish gold jewelry, and winter clothes worn year round."
post #5 of 10
My one problem is I don't know how much oil is in canada...I'd wager alot because its so vast...

Canadians often make fun of Americans making stupid comments.
I wonder why...
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
Those who dance the dance must look very foolish to those who can't hear the music
post #6 of 10
[quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:
<strong>My one problem is I don't know how much oil is in canada...I'd wager alot because its so vast...

I wonder why...</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea yea what are you going to do?
I actually meant to write something along the lines of the fact canada is very vast and that alaska has alot of oil....It makes sense canada would have oil somehwere far north since Alaska is basically part of canada.

thats what I was _thinking_ when I posted it...but I guess only a bit of that came out...oh well.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: Wrong Robot ]</p>
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #7 of 10
[quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:
<strong>My one problem is I don't know how much oil is in canada...I'd wager alot because its so vast...

I wonder why...</strong><hr></blockquote>
Why is that stupid? Seems reasonable to me. It's a larger area. Could be a lot of hiding places for oil? WTFN?

Wrong Robot take the others' advice. Swift was trying to "solve" a "problem". Canada, despite being rude( ), is not a problem.

My suggestion? Go south. Solve illegal, oops I'm sorry, undocumented immigration by proposing something for our pals to the south. Tattooed bar codes? Um? Forced organ donation if you want to/are caught in the country?
post #8 of 10
I would....but I've already written 2.5 pages on canada....and I'm tired...but its due tommorrow...and I need more....d'oh! why did I procrastinate!
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #9 of 10
To answer your question, yes, Ca has a fair bit of oil in the prairies.
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
post #10 of 10
Feed the children of the poor to the starving. Baby meat as a strictly upper class dish? That's just a sign of what's wrong with the world today: the growing class divide. This won't do. Everyone ought to have the pleasure of a nicely roasted baby, at least on holidays.
IBL!
IBL!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › A modest proposal