or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Suppliers deny iPad production issues, expect to ship 650K at launch

Suppliers deny iPad production issues, expect to ship 650K at launch

post #1 of 49
Apple's overseas manufacturing partner Foxconn has not experienced any production problems in building the new iPad, due for release later this month, sources have reportedly told DigiTimes.

While the company would not offer any official comment, anonymous people within the company said they should be able to ship between 600,000 and 700,000 units this month, and another million in April. The sources also indicated that is "unlikely" that Apple would change the launch window of the iPad.

The claims came in response to an analyst who, on Monday, alleged that iPad production had hit a "manufacturing bottleneck" and would see its initial supply reduced to just 300,000. The analyst also said that the issues could limit the initial debut to the U.S. only, and could even delay the launch by a month. The issues were attributed to an "unspecified production problem."

The report follows a rumor from this week that the iPad is on track for an alleged sale date of March 26. The 3G-enabled versions of the iPad, which sell for an additional $130, will arrive a month later.

That same report suggested Apple store employees could begin receiving training on the new hardware starting March 10. It also stated that Apple intends to begin airing iPad commercials, which will emphasize the device's e-book capabilities, on TV starting March 15.

Apple is expected to face strong demand for the iPad at launch, with most on Wall Street predicting first-year sales of between 1 million and 5 million.
post #2 of 49
Apple is Doomed!
post #3 of 49
"Quick, hire more kids! We have a deadline to meet!"
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #4 of 49
Pump and dump. Or is this a case of dump then pump?
post #5 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is Doomed!

I would not be surprised iPad sales exceed expectation to near 10 million by the end of 2010. I have been following Apple since 1979 with all ups and downs.
post #6 of 49
"Apple is expected to face strong demand for the iPad at launch, with most on Wall Street predicting first-year sales of between 1 million and 5 million."

Yeah that pins it down. And I predict lines will range from two people to two hundred at each store.
post #7 of 49
I guess the iPad production delay rumor was much ado about nothing.

Wasn't the source of the rumor the same guy that created a rumor for the iPhone pre-launch that turned out to be not true as well?
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #8 of 49
I don't know why these rumors get started so quickly.
post #9 of 49
I think the iPad pre-sale and production delay rumors were both from one source(not the same), and everybody took a lot of notice and ran with the stories. I guess in this frenzied state of pre-launch, that's to be expected.
post #10 of 49
I just heard a rumour that this isn't the last pre-launch iPad rumour we'll read about.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just heard a rumour that this isn't the last pre-launch iPad rumour we'll read about.

That's not a rumor, that's a fact.
post #12 of 49
The killer app for the iPad could be the iBook and Apple already has that going. The competition from Kindle is lame... it is like going back to watching B&W TV. Most textbooks need color display.

The competition does have some color displays, but the price difference is not significant. Why would anybody want another wannabe product? Just for the Flash? I have not missed it in the iPhone. Camera would be nice... but video conferencing has not a hi use item either.
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know why these rumors get started so quickly.

Because we live in a world proliferated with sites like AI?
post #14 of 49
Quote:

That's not a rumor, that's a fact.

No - that's humor.
These analysts are amazing aren't they. Apple is predicted to sell between 1 and 5 million units? Hmmm... yes, that sounds pretty accurate. Who listens to their advice? They're like a bunch of kids making up stories for attention.
post #15 of 49
Quote:

Because we live in a world proliferated with sites like AI?

It has nothing to do with AI. None of these people think about AI when they come up with these rumors, and it's not likely they think of other rumors sites either. They're not coming up with this stuff for people to read as rumors, thats just the way some of us take it. This is information they prepare for their customers. We do tend to forget the ones that are pretty close, and rag on the ones that are not.
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

No - that's humor.
These analysts are amazing aren't they. Apple is predicted to sell between 1 and 5 million units? Hmmm... yes, that sounds pretty accurate. Who listens to their advice? They're like a bunch of kids making up stories for attention.

You'd be surprised at how many business BUY their reports, which are far more involved than the headlines they get with the little they release to the public.

Actually, those predictions are the least of it. The reports are pages and pages of heavy data which corporations use for their own forecasts. The fact that these businesses that make these reports are in business shows that they're taken seriously. Some analysts make better predictions based on their data than do others.
post #17 of 49
Quote:

No - that's humor.

I'm sure he got the jist of my post. He is right, it's like that saying "nothingbis certain but uncertainty" or thereabouts. The only thing we know for sure I that the rumours will continue.

Quote:

I listen to them because you know anything they say will not happen. Process of elimination. It's like when I find my start agreeing with certain AI posters I need to go back and reread the original post because I likely missed something important.
post #18 of 49
Quote:

It has nothing to do with AI. None of these people think about AI when they come up with these rumors, and it's not likely they think of other rumors sites either. They're not coming up with this stuff for people to read as rumors, thats just the way some of us take it. This is information they prepare for their customers. We do tend to forget the ones that are pretty close, and rag on the ones that are not.

The very existence of AI is to run up the stock early for a quick profit before Apple officially releases products. The only reason to read AI is to get inside information. It certainly isn't to learn new things to chat with other members of the great Apple community. As demonstrated by the insults and bickering that go on endlessly here.
post #19 of 49
650K is a lot... i only need 1
post #20 of 49
Quote:

I does, in an indirect way. Both the analysts and Apple fans such as ourselves are engaging in the same sort of tea leaf reading. For different reasons, maybe -- but the motive is nearly the same. We all want to know what Apple will do before they do it. The difference is that the analysts literally want their clients to "put stock" in the rumors. We can take them for what they are (if we choose).
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #21 of 49
650K? That's it? For the whole world?

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

For now, the US is the world.
post #23 of 49
Quote:

That seems low when you look at other iDevice sales, but the original iPhone sold 270k in the first weekend and 1.2M in the first full quarter, and that was a phone and iPod, which people generally consider to be requirements these days. I'd suspect that 650k tablets is more tablets than other single model has ever sold.
post #24 of 49
Quote:

I'm sure he got the jist of my post. He is right...

I know, I was just being silly.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The very existence of AI is to run up the stock early for a quick profit before Apple officially releases products. The only reason to read AI is to get inside information. It certainly isn't to learn new things to chat with other members of the great Apple community. As demonstrated by the insults and bickering that go on endlessly here.

That's very cynical. It's also very wrong. Its not likely that articles that appear in AI have any affect on Apple's stock price.

In addition, all of these reports by analysts appear in many other places, including the business sites. Usually they appear here afterwards.
post #26 of 49
Quote:

I know, I was just being silly.

But it's always good to have a post that rhymes with another.

Rumor, humor. Works for me.
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I does, in an indirect way. Both the analysts and Apple fans such as ourselves are engaging in the same sort of tea leaf reading. For different reasons, maybe -- but the motive is nearly the same. We all want to know what Apple will do before they do it. The difference is that the analysts literally want their clients to "put stock" in the rumors. We can take them for what they are (if we choose).

Of course they do. But to think that a site like AI is part of the loop of stock purchasing in anything more than a very minor way would be stretching it. Forbes prints these statements all day long. I know, because I get a dozen e-mails from them about anything remotely affecting Apple every day. If people are going to pay attention, they will be getting those e-mails as well. They don't need AI for that.
post #28 of 49
Quote:

The line form you must, Lukeskymac.
post #29 of 49
So they are making 650k non-3g ipads to start with? Both my wife and I want one but not one without 3g and gps. I would be SHOCKED if they move 650 k of the base models in the first month especially since it's exclusive to the US for a bit
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post

So they are making 650k non-3g ipads to start with? Both my wife and I want one but not one without 3g and gps. I would be SHOCKED if they move 650 k of the base models in the first month especially since it's exclusive to the US for a bit

Is it US exclusive for a time? I don't recall that being stated during the presentation. Was it in a follow up interview or press release?
post #31 of 49
Quote:

Is it US exclusive for a time? I don't recall that being stated during the presentation. Was it in a follow up interview or press release?

I don't think it is, and I can't see any reason for it. He is probably confusing it with the 3G version, which may have a more limited launch as Apple has only negotiated special rates with AT&T thus far. I haven't seen anything suggesting a US only release for either model though, and I would be very disappointed as I do not live in the US.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Pump and dump. Or is this a case of dump then pump?

Talking about Misek and Canaccord... rather "dumb and dumber"?

Quote:

For now, the US is the world.

Who said so? All international Apple sites list exactly the same shipping dates (end of March, one month later for the 3G) as the US site. Jobs only said that international "data tariffs" might not be announced before June/July... as the device is not locked to a carrier, there is no dependence on special tariffs. Almost any GSM provider will do.

We have pre-ordered 150 iPads through our business rep and he said that sales in Europe will start at the same time as in the US. He is not allowed to tell us the date though...
post #33 of 49
Quote:

That seems low when you look at other iDevice sales, but the original iPhone sold 270k in the first weekend and 1.2M in the first full quarter, and that was a phone and iPod, which people generally consider to be requirements these days. I'd suspect that 650k tablets is more tablets than other single model has ever sold.

That may be true, but even so, it was 270k on the first weekend. Plus consider the fact that many people didn't buy iPhones due to AT&T (a issue not present this time), and that it was USA-only. You aren't the only people in the world, did you know that ?

Yeah, it may be enough, but I'd bet we'll see stock shortages due to high demand for a while.

post #34 of 49
Quote:

As others mentioned, no. Hell, the fact that it is arriving here at Brazil at somewhat the same time you guys receive it in the USA is already out-of-this-world news. You can't possibly imagine how bad things are over here

The Brazilian iPad page (it took them less than a week to translate it this time, that is most unusual)
reads: http://www.apple.com/br/ipad

"Os modelos Wi-Fi estarão disponÃ*veis a partir do final de março.*

Os modelos 3G estarão disponÃ*veis a partir de abril.*"

"The Wi-fi models will be available in late March

The 3G models will be available in April"

Which is nearly exactly what's written on the US page.

post #35 of 49
Quote:

But it's always good to have a post that rhymes with another.

Rumor, humor. Works for me.

Yeah - I admit it, I'm not very sophisticated\
post #36 of 49
Good deal! It appears there will be enough for when I place an order.
post #37 of 49
I just sold my PowerBOok G4 on eBay with a bunch of software and peripherals for $750. Planned on buying a MBP a few years old. Got one for $800, realized it's software was awesome, relisted and sold the MBP for $1450.

Now I have enough to buy a new MBP after the refresh, whenever that finally comes.

In the meantime I am left waiting with no home computer. Nothing but this little iPhone. I thought I'd be suffering quite a lot, but it turns out that between my work computer and my iPhone I'm not doing too bad. In fact, I'm starting to get used to not having a home computer at all. The only real problem is that my eyes are getting a little twitchy from reading too much teeny tiny text at home.

So now I'm thinking that I might not need a computer at home at all. Maybe I'll just pick up an iPad for $500, snyc it to the work computer and be done with it. $900 saved, and no "Mac" of any kind in the home.

Is it the wave of the future??? It may be for me...
post #38 of 49
Quote:

Yeah, it may be enough, but I'd bet we'll see stock shortages due to high demand for a while.

Which never hurt in terms of marketing value (as long as the delay is palatable for the clamouring public). 670 000 worldwide will go "swoosh" before your eyes.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I just sold my PowerBOok G4 on eBay with a bunch of software and peripherals for $750. Planned on buying a MBP a few years old. Got one for $800, realized it's software was awesome, relisted and sold the MBP for $1450.

Now I have enough to buy a new MBP after the refresh, whenever that finally comes.

In the meantime I am left waiting with no home computer. Nothing but this little iPhone. I thought I'd be suffering quite a lot, but it turns out that between my work computer and my iPhone I'm not doing too bad. In fact, I'm starting to get used to not having a home computer at all. The only real problem is that my eyes are getting a little twitchy from reading too much teeny tiny text at home.

So now I'm thinking that I might not need a computer at home at all. Maybe I'll just pick up an iPad for $500, snyc it to the work computer and be done with it. $900 saved, and no "Mac" of any kind in the home.

Is it the wave of the future??? It may be for me...

There are going to be a lot of you. I wonder if it will be possible to have you have a basic setup like that with something like time capsule for data storage. Would you be able to have your iPhoto library and iTunes library on the TC and use your pad as a front end?
post #40 of 49
Quote:

The Brazilian iPad page (it took them less than a week to translate it this time, that is most unusual)
reads: http://www.apple.com/br/ipad

"Os modelos Wi-Fi estarão disponÃ*veis a partir do final de março.*

Os modelos 3G estarão disponÃ*veis a partir de abril.*"

"The Wi-fi models will be available in late March

The 3G models will be available in April"

Which is nearly exactly what's written on the US page.

Hello there fellow Brazilian! I hadn't noticed these dates. That's good news, and quite surprising indeed, if it turns out to be true. I'll be getting mine in Hong Kong, though, at a much lower price, and that's a fact.
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Suppliers deny iPad production issues, expect to ship 650K at launch