or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 'Minor delays' in iPad production could limit Apple launch to 200K

'Minor delays' in iPad production could limit Apple launch to 200K

post #1 of 54
The second report in a week claiming Apple has experienced iPad production delays surfaced Thursday, with the latest suggesting the company is currently able to produce between 200,000 and 250,000 devices per month.

Think Equity analyst Vijay Rakesh issued a note to investors Thursday stating that checks with Taiwanese manufacturers "indicate some minor delays" in production of the iPad. Specifically, he said manufacturing of the iPad was supposed to pick up in February, but production volume for March remains low. Those issues, he said, are only expected to be temporary.

"Our checks are indicating iPad volumes will pick back up to the 800k-1M units/month into April-May from the current 200-250K," Rakesh wrote. "We believe this is just a minor hiccup in a longer-term entirely new revenue stream and product roadmap for AAPL."

He added: "The delays do not appear to be (from) glass or manufacturing process (issues)."

On Monday, another analyst issued a separate report alleging that an "unspecified production problem" had arisen in manufacturing of the iPad. Peter Misek with Canaccord Adams said the issues could restrict the number of launch units to just 300,000, or potentially delay the launch of the iPad past March.

However, suppliers in Taiwan told DigiTimes this week that there have been no issues in the iPad manufacturing. That report claimed that Apple would likely be able to ship between 600,000 and 700,000 units this month, and another million in April.

There has been speculation that retail sales of the iPad could begin March 26, though Apple has not announced an official date. Initial availability will be limited to the Wi-Fi model, with a 3G-capable version expected to arrive in late April.
post #2 of 54
Just some analysts trying to create buzz.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #3 of 54
As long as I get one...
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #4 of 54
Any of Apple's suppliers who are actually manufacturing iPads AND talking to these so-called analysts are playing a dangerous game of chicken. Why would they have ANY incentive to do this, unless it's individuals at the manufacturers who are being bribed by the analysts. If I were Apple, I would be interested in discovering these leaks and making sure that the iPad business went somewhere else.
post #5 of 54
Part of the buzz machine. It's just to get people to think "I'd better get one before they are gone!"

If there are millions of them on the shelves, there is no pent up demand and people can just buy one whenever they want and maybe not get one right away, instead, they will actively pursue buying one at first opportunity.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Just some analysts trying to create buzz.

Nah. Just trying to depress the stock price so they can buy more. It's an old, old game.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 54
It could be that the WiFi version is in full production with no issues and the problem that both these reports are talking about is with the 3G version, which we know will be released later anyway.
post #8 of 54
it might be just like what happened to Tom Sanders. He promised the drives would be ready but the factory screwed him at the last minute. Then he didn't get his promotion and his boss, Bob Garvin gave the job to Meredith Johnson. But wait, Bob Garvin doesn't work at Apple, he runs Digicom Corporation....
post #9 of 54
Many have said this is nothing but a rumor. Apparently, sales are to occur later this month at stores. Does anyone know if Apple is going to take pre-orders online like they did with iPhone 3Gs?
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Many have said this is nothing but a rumor. Apparently, sales are to occur later this month at stores. Does anyone know if Apple is going to take pre-orders online like they did with iPhone 3Gs?

I hope they do. However, they cannot offer pre-orders before they get the FCC approval.
post #11 of 54
I guess analysts have to justify their salaries some way.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAW View Post

Any of Apple's suppliers who are actually manufacturing iPads AND talking to these so-called analysts are playing a dangerous game of chicken. Why would they have ANY incentive to do this, unless it's individuals at the manufacturers who are being bribed by the analysts. If I were Apple, I would be interested in discovering these leaks and making sure that the iPad business went somewhere else.

agreed. someone is playing games to either build buzz and up the value of the stock they have. or build negative buzz and drop the price so they can buy in a little cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Does anyone know if Apple is going to take pre-orders online like they did with iPhone 3Gs?

depends on what you mean by pre-order.

do I think they will open up the system to take orders a few days/week before the big release and let you order for release day/next day delivery. possibly although the quality will likely be limited and after that mark, no more guarantees on the shipping date.

if you mean reserve for pickup at a store. I think not. From what I heard, that whole thing was a logistic nightmare at most stores. And they ended up with more than a handful of units unsold every day from folks reserving and not coming to pick up. While at the same time, turning folks away for being 'out of stock'.

I think the first round will be first come first serve. After that opening weekend/week, perhaps they will let you reserve.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #13 of 54
Could be true or just another rumor. Regardless, I'm sure that more will be pre-ordering as soon as you can order one. In the alternative--look to long lines at the Apple Store--maybe campers will be waiting days or weeks before launch. I'd rather wait until after the release to see if there are any complaints. Although Apple has been fine on fixing problems, I just don't like the inconvenience.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nah. Just trying to depress the stock price so they can buy more. It's an old, old game.

It's illegal if the rumors are untrue.
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
iPad News, App Reviews, and More: iPadNewsUpdates.com
post #15 of 54
While every reply so far in this thread could be true, so could the production delays stated in the article. Production problems do happen and I'd wager they are much more common than these conspiracies being real.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I'd rather wait until after the release to see if there are any complaints.

The complaint that goes like this, "Why did I waste $499 or more on a giant iPod Touch?"
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The complaint that goes like this, "Why did I waste $499 or more on a giant iPod Touch?"

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Don't forget 16Gb- more like 14Gb= approx 5 movies and music. I'll wait for the 2Gen or price drop by September.
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I hope they do. However, they cannot offer pre-orders before they get the FCC approval.

Psst. Wifi devices don't need FCC approval - because they approved WiFi devices ages ago - and oddly enough - they haven't duct taped laser-cats to it, or made other modifications that would require re-approval.

A new 3G device sure - but that's not coming out in March.

Why. Trying to pump the stock? If so I've got some laser-cats I'd like to sell you. MEW PEW!
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Could be true or just another rumor. Regardless, I'm sure that more will be pre-ordering as soon as you can order one. In the alternative--look to long lines at the Apple Store--maybe campers will be waiting days or weeks before launch. I'd rather wait until after the release to see if there are any complaints. Although Apple has been fine on fixing problems, I just don't like the inconvenience.

Quote:

Then don't buy one if it doesn't suit you. The complaint is people who complain and don't have the foresight to see the potential of what's happening. The iPad is soo much more than just a "giant iPod"--but hindsighted people fail to see the difference.

What I was referring to in my original post that was taken out of context--like anything new there's always a potential that there can be some bugs and it is best to wait until these are resolved before making the purchase.
post #20 of 54
Quote:

Windows 7 runs on netbooks. No need for laptops with larger screens and better processors right?
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Psst. Wifi devices don't need FCC approval - because they approved WiFi devices ages ago - and oddly enough - they haven't duct taped laser-cats to it, or made other modifications that would require re-approval.

Why. Trying to pump the stock?

Apple saying it does. Look at the bottom of this page.

This device has not yet been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.
post #22 of 54

Yes - the 3G device needs to be authorized. That's why all the units out in the wild (at developers, at Grammy awards and publisher offices) are the WiFi version. Good catch.
post #23 of 54
Quote:

Yes - the 3G device needs to be authorized. That's why all the units out in the wild (at developers, at Grammy awards and publisher offices) are the WiFi version. Good catch.

Well, I thought even new Wifi devices need FCC approval. If I am not mistaken Apple started selling Time Capsule and the new Magic Mouse only after FCC approval.
post #24 of 54
Quote:

Why. Trying to pump the stock? If so I've got some laser-cats I'd like to sell you. MEW PEW!

HA laser cats, that is awesome.
post #25 of 54
Quote:

Well, I thought even new Wifi devices need FCC approval. If I am not mistaken Apple started selling Time Capsule and the new Magic Mouse only after FCC approval.

The new Magic mouse is Wifi? That IS magical.

I thought it was bluetooth. Slap me awake - I'm a dreamin' - everything is Wifi. My coffee? Wifi. My aunt's gout? Wifi. Duct-taped Laser Cats? - Oh you bet that's-a-wifi.
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

if so, has it worked? No. If so, would the analyst have said, "We believe this is just a minor hiccup in a longer-term entirely new revenue stream and product roadmap for AAPL." Again, no.

Not everything is a conspiracy.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #27 of 54
The amount of people on Macrumors who literally believe these "delays" are due to a camera is staggering

Denial is a frightening thing.
post #28 of 54
Quote:

I thought it was bluetooth. Slap me awake - I'm a dreamin' - everything is Wifi. My coffee? Wifi. My aunt's gout? Wifi. Duct-taped Laser Cats? - Oh you bet that's-a-wifi.

Oh please. Bluetooth

The point was not only 3G devices require FCC approval. You could correct me if I am wrong since you claim to know more about this subject.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The amount of people on Macrumors who literally believe these "delays" are due to a camera is staggering

Denial is a frightening thing.

They dumb. It's obviously because they are adding Core-i7 and the complete version of Mac OS X.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They dumb. It's obviously because they are adding Core-i7 and the complete version of Mac OS X.

Sorry to let you down but no you are wrong, that was the easy part. I heard from a friend of a friend, of a guy who dated a girl who's second cousin dated a guy who's sister was roommates with a janitor at apple that the real delay is incorporating the front facing LED embedded camera, but don't tell anyone mmk?
post #31 of 54
Quote:

Oh please. Bluetooth

The point was not only 3G devices require FCC approval. You could correct me if I am wrong since you claim to know more about this subject.

The point is Wifi doesn't need approval again. Bluetooth and 3G aren't Wifi. But what if they were! Welcome to Wifi World - would you like a nice glass of cool refreshing Wifi? Careful not to touch your plate of WiFi - it's very hot.
post #32 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that is correct. I think any new module and/or component that transmits radio waves has to get approval. Since Apple is all about integrated devices and custom logic boards I think even the WiFi-only iPad will need to pass FCC approval. Same goes for BT.
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf
post #33 of 54
Quote:

HILLSTONES...thanks for the MBP-delay-induced laugh. I nearly spewed Diet Coke all over my monitor. Awesome.

I'm waiting for someone to say that the iPad will actually turn into the rumored MBP transformer-style if you get the right app.
post #34 of 54
Quote:

I don't think that is correct. I think any new module and/or component that transmits radio waves has to get approval. Since Apple is all about integrated devices and custom logic boards I think even the WiFi-only iPad will need to pass FCC approval. Same goes for BT.

I was waiting for him to provide a link instead of talking about things he don't understand. New WiFi devices requires FCC approvals. One example is this.

Furthermore, he seems to ignore the fact that the iPad also have BT. In every case (3G or not) it will require FCC approval. Apple statement didn't specify which device require approval as well, which clearly hints that the iPad (3G or not) requires FCC approval.
post #35 of 54
Dang, I didn't realize this would be such a haven for trolls, even though it would appear that some of the trolls are actually on their troll 'support' accounts laughing at their own jokes and pushing their trolliness forward.

Well back to work
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

It's illegal if the rumors are untrue.

A rumor is just that. It is not substantiated so it's not "true" or "untrue".
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Dang, I didn't realize this would be such a haven for trolls, even though it would appear that some of the trolls are actually on their troll 'support' accounts laughing at their own jokes and pushing their trolliness forward.

Well back to work

Actually the mods do a reasonably good job of "controlling" the trolls ... for example, I see that Tekstud, even with the most recent "spelling" of his name has been banished into cyberland again .... hopefully never to be heard from again .... all of his previous posts have been erased, ... for the second time .... that must be a record.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #38 of 54
Quote:

Very totally correct - any new module needs to be approved. Have they been changing their WiFi components lately? Is it still called WiFi? I suspect that it's the same as in all the other lumps of WiFi plastic coming out of China no? Or are they using that new Snowflake WiFi I've been hearing about, where no two WiFi are the same. S'true because the way to keep costs down - is to reinvent every component possible.

That's good business - with laser-cats duct taped to it.

MEW PEW!
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Actually the mods do a reasonably good job of "controlling" the trolls ... for example, I see that Tekstud, even with the most recent "spelling" of his name has been banished into cyberland again .... hopefully never to be heard from again .... all of his previous posts have been erased, ... for the second time .... that must be a record.

Really? I wondered why the forum seemed calmer the last couple days. I just figured it was holiday.
post #40 of 54
Quote:

Very totally correct - any new module needs to be approved. Have they been changing their WiFi components lately? Is it still called WiFi? I suspect that it's the same as in all the other lumps of WiFi plastic coming out of China no? Or are they using that new Snowflake WiFi I've been hearing about, where no two WiFi are the same. S'true because the way to keep costs down - is to reinvent every component possible.

That's good business - with laser-cats duct taped to it.

MEW PEW!

I'm not following your assumption that WiFi is some standardized module across all devices and has already passed all necessary US testing a long time ago. All current iDevices with WiFi have 802.11b/g, while the iPad uses 802.11a/b/g/n. I doubt that they module is the same as in any Mac product.

I think every iPhone has had FCC testing and approval on the WIFi chip. If so, then it's either per device type or per module/component. If it's the device type then the iPad will get it for WiFI, too. If it's just the module/component -AND- every WiFi-capabable iDevice has had it so far it's safe to assume that the iPad will have a different 802.11a/b/g/n module than what is found in other Macs.

Since I'm sure these modules are used in other products outside of Apple but in the US, since they are usually off the shelf components I have to conclude that it's likely for each unique device type.

FCC — iPhone 3GS
PS: Someone with more time than me can Google the other devices to see if the WiFi module is identical across devices and if it's been retested for that new device.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 'Minor delays' in iPad production could limit Apple launch to 200K