or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12 - Page 4

post #121 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

I seriously suspect he (Tekstud / yesHEcanbeAteabagger) is unemployed - in which case he has my sympathies (seriously).

Been there - not doing that presently - am presently farting about trying to come up with some odds and ends designs for a laid-back friday (coaster, t-shit and blog header design and some middling asset updates for a pile of sites) - which works best by not thinking about them too hard and letting the idea float to the surface (if that makes any kind of sense). Also prefer waiting for the caffeine to take hold.

At least it works better than staring at a blank screen until my forehead bleeds (bonus if you can identify the author I just paraphrased)

I'm looking forward to finally being unchained from the desk with a truly portable device that has a screen larger than my phone. I gave up normal TV when I decided I didn't want a 50 inch jumbotron in the living room. The iPad is freakin' perfect for my needs.

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if teckstud was a teabagger (in the political meaning of the word), even though his grammar makes me suspect he is an ESL person who would have nothing in common with the predominantly white grievances of that group.

I am a technician/writer/designer/artist myself so I understand the creative process well. I am looking forward to getting a hold of one of these iPads just to play around with, but I also hope it will be useful.

My only quibble with the design of it, is the disappointingly large bezel which likely won't allow for thumb-typing (crucial to my intended uses), and is I feel a sort of sop towards the lower end users who might inadvertently pick it up wrong and open an app by mistake. It's also a bit big for me as I have great eyesight.

My ideal iPad would be halfway between this and the iPhone in size, with a bezel designed more like the iPhone than the iPad. That way it's more easily stowed in a purse or big pocket instead of having to carry an extra bag, and is still easily big enough to read and (more importantly), the perfect size to thumb type on like the iPhone.

I am constantly surprised that Apple makes all of it's products the same size or only makes one size of each type given the fact that humans come in sizes ranging from 1 to 2.5 metres tall and hand sizes range wildly. I'd like to see them manufacture two or three sizes of all the iProducts and pay much more attention to the ergonomics, but this is something Apple has historically never been very good at. Probably because it destroys the impression of the product as being "perfect" if one size doesn't fit all or one ergonomic decision isn't perceived as right for everyone.
post #122 of 186
So will Apple have demo units in stores as of March 12th to help pull in more pre-release sales?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #123 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if teckstud was a teabagger (in the political meaning of the word), even though his grammar makes me suspect he is an ESL person who would have nothing in common with the predominantly white grievances of that group.

Gotta love the way people have bought into the media's total co-opting of what used to be a constitutionalist movement, and is now a way to demonize anyone who disagrees with corruption.
post #124 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So will Apple have demo units in stores as of March 12th to help pull in more pre-release sales?

If I had to guess, not a flippin chance in hell.
post #125 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So will Apple have demo units in stores as of March 12th to help pull in more pre-release sales?

Damn good question.
post #126 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Gotta love the way people have bought into the media's total co-opting of what used to be a constitutionalist movement, and is now a way to demonize anyone who disagrees with corruption.

More like they're libertarian wanna-be's - but they even do a pale-job at that. First they don't like Ron Paul and shove him aside - then they're "just like him".

Sure Fox whatever. Keep whacking those trailer parks for cash like a white-trash pinata. No one ever went broke selling to the lowest common denominator.

Like Microsoft.
post #127 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

If I had to guess, not a flippin chance in hell.

I'd say also very doubtful. They didn't do this with the iPhone, did they?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #128 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Damn good question.

As we all seemed to expect, I was just informed that stores will most likely not have any demo units until launch day.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #129 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'd say also very doubtful. They didn't do this with the iPhone, did they?

Good point. Besides, I think it would burst the bubble of all those people hoping for some surprise features at release. If they're not on the demos, then they'll most likely not be on the release product.
post #130 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

...Planning to sell 10 shares of the company (to allow for capital gains taxes and some accessories), and my order for two 64GB w/3G is pretty much all set! !

Selling AAPL stock at a profit, then use profit to buy AAPL products!

Dude, TEACH ME.
post #131 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I doubt Apple will limit how much money you can send to them.

they might. if they want to spread the wealth, which is not totally crazy on their part. Say 2 per customer/address. at least online. reserving for instore might be a little higher.

especially if the rumors of limited stock are even close to true.

we will see on march 12

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #132 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Do you think buying an Ipad on apple.com and put a Canadian delivery address would work?

no i don't.
post #133 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I am a technician/writer/designer/artist myself so I understand the creative process well. I am looking forward to getting a hold of one of these iPads just to play around with, but I also hope it will be useful.

My only quibble with the design of it, is the disappointingly large bezel which likely won't allow for thumb-typing (crucial to my intended uses), and is I feel a sort of sop towards the lower end users who might inadvertently pick it up wrong and open an app by mistake. It's also a bit big for me as I have great eyesight.

My ideal iPad would be halfway between this and the iPhone in size, with a bezel designed more like the iPhone than the iPad. That way it's more easily stowed in a purse or big pocket instead of having to carry an extra bag, and is still easily big enough to read and (more importantly), the perfect size to thumb type on like the iPhone.

I am constantly surprised that Apple makes all of it's products the same size or only makes one size of each type given the fact that humans come in sizes ranging from 1 to 2.5 metres tall and hand sizes range wildly. I'd like to see them manufacture two or three sizes of all the iProducts and pay much more attention to the ergonomics, but this is something Apple has historically never been very good at. Probably because it destroys the impression of the product as being "perfect" if one size doesn't fit all or one ergonomic decision isn't perceived as right for everyone.

Sounds like you're a jack of all trades and a master of nothing- especially Apple design. Apple doesn't design products like shoe sizes- who does? and the thought that you would even think they should is more than disturbing.
post #134 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This kind of makes me wonder what all that junk about "sign up to be notified when it's available for order" was about though.

does it really matter if you get that email tomorrow since the orders don't start for a week. all you need to know is the start date early enough to do it as quickly that day as you can so you will be guaranteed release day delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Meh. The 'Pad falls down in exactly the areas for which I would most want a tablet.

well the guy that got your place in line will be happy. cause it fits his needs and he got the last one in the size he wanted (rather than being one too late).

You both have fun

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #135 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the Wi-Fi model will be the only available at first, the 3G-capable iPad is expected to arrive in late April. In addition, all versions of the hardware will be available in the U.K., Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Japan, Span and Switzerland in late April.


Apple's international websites have just been updated... Apart from the countries listed above, all availability information has been taken out from the rest of the world... No more Hong Kong iPad late March, not even April. I guess I should lower my expectations and prepare myself to wait until the 2nd semester.
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Reply
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Reply
post #136 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

Apple's international websites have just been updated... Apart from the countries listed above, all availability information has been taken out from the rest of the world... No more Hong Kong iPad late March, not even April. I guess I should lower my expectations and prepare myself to wait until the 2nd semester.

Are other Apple products distributed to most other countries at the same time, or is there a stepping method that they usually follow?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #137 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The US 3G model is unlocked, nothing specific about carriers and locked vs. unlocked has been said for other countries.

well some countries don't allow sim locks. so yes for those.

as for the rest, I suspect yes. it is likely a pain dealing with making all the various iphone setups. unlock the ipad and it doesn't matter what box you send to where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

AAPL got a big boost from Cramer last night as well (tons of people still listen to him - go figure)... that, and the iPad announcement= up.

general market improvement, the date announcement and perhaps the demo by Penguin. but in the end, as long is it is going up that's good. this gal still has a few shares bought at $70. kaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Also I read a lot of books, but is it really that important to buy the latest best seller while sitting on the bus when you know you can get it the next time you are home or walk through a WiFi hotspot anyway?

My daily bus runs down a major street in an area of LA that decided last year to put up city wide free wifi. a block after I get on I"m online and running for about 2 miles. very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

The only way we would see a price drop though is if it doesn't sell well enough and Apple thinks they have enough margin to lower the price.

I don't see the wifi only dropping. but the 3g perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I might have uses for the iPad, but if I can't choose my data provider, then it's no sale for me. Sorry Steve. I love ya, but you can't talk me into being AT&T's customer again.

it's unlocked. all T-Mobile has to do is start printing microSims and you've got another choice. and I'll be that they have and it will be good to go by early summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Good luck with that. Your free TV shows have a bullseye painted on them, if you haven't heard.

a lot of folks don't mind. let Hulu charge if they take the ads off. if we have to pay and it's the same schtick, forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psay101 View Post

Not sure I will purchase an iPad until they resolve the Flash issue.

And by THEY you mean Adobe. Because that's the issue. Crappy software they cobbled together and refuse to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Do you think buying an Ipad on apple.com and put a Canadian delivery address would work?

Nope. The site likely doesn't even accept foreign addresses. but if it does you can bet it will be cancelled within the hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

Then day2 we get to see all the new iPad apps available.

i disagree with the day 2. the majors will have it ready on release day. if not sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So will Apple have demo units in stores as of March 12th to help pull in more pre-release sales?

I wouldn't be surprised. given all the "starting march 10th rumors". i bet that someone saw an internal notice that units would start arriving on the 10th (for an after hours set up on the 11th to unveil on the 12th) and assumed they were training units or some such.

although in a way they are. the staff will be playing with them also. just out on the floor with the customers.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #138 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

April 3 should be an interesting day. The usual lines around Apple stores. News organizations reporting on the frenzy. First person accounts on what the early adopters thought of it. The rush of the naysayers to try and stifle the positive press Apple will get. It should be an exciting Saturday.

Then day2 we get to see all the new iPad apps available. Thats when things will really take off. The new WSJ app. The different approaches taken by the early magazine producers to show off the device. The first game that sells a million dollars worth of iPad games. I'm definitely looking forward to that first week of the iPad. We live in exciting times.

can't wait! i'm getting 2 iPads myself.
post #139 of 186
With the WiFi+3G hardware being released in Canada, which Canadian network will support it? Does Rogers or Bell / Telus support the Micro SIM hardware?

I haven't seen any announcements from them on supporting the iPad 3G.
post #140 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

it's unlocked. all T-Mobile has to do is start printing microSims and you've got another choice. and I'll be that they have and it will be good to go by early summer

One major caveat. While it's unlocked T-Mobile USA's 3G spectrum is atypical and not an included frequency on the iPad. You'll be able to get GPRS and EDGE data, but not 3G, which pretty much makes the reason to lock anything to AT&T pointless.

Plus, you can cut a microSIM with scissors. The data connect is the same as the regular SIM cards.


PS: I really hate all current SIM technology. It take up a considerable amount of space while having one function that requires much less data storage than the space would indicate. I suggest a very simple screw SIM with the flat bottom of the plastic screw contain the very simple metal contacts. Below is an image of the current SIM space taking up a huge portion of the current iPhone (I'm sure they'll be using the microSIM in the next iPhone but is it enough? Can't we do better?
http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/ig...I2UNWjYJ.large (image)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #141 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

1280x720, yes. 1024x768 doesn't cut it.

I realize you are being purposefully obtuse to make your point but
1) We have already seen movies on the iPad in the various demos and they look pretty good/large even with the letterboxing. At the distances you or I will be watching from it is patently fine (~2ft). The only HD anyone should worry about is its output to a device where it matters (HDTV etc.) which I believe it can do full 720p
2) As a multipurpose device its aspect ratio is designed for other uses too - books - better in the paper 4x3 ratio, web pages also better
3) Most netbooks (the unnatural competition) have 1024x600 - some of the worst screens I have ever seen and an absolutely horrific ratio for looking at anything except a widescreen movie

Netbooks FTF
post #142 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post

With the WiFi+3G hardware being released in Canada, which Canadian network will support it? Does Rogers or Bell / Telus support the Micro SIM hardware?

I haven't seen any announcements from them on supporting the iPad 3G.

Order column by 'Technology', then eliminate any that don't list GSM or HSPA. If it's just GSM then it's likely only '2G', assuming the info is accurate. If it lists HSPA then you'll get '3G', assuming the info is accurate. You'll also have to make sure the frequencies are supported, just to be sure.
Wikipedia List of Canadian cell phone companies
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #143 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are other Apple products distributed to most other countries at the same time, or is there a stepping method that they usually follow?

I guess they have some stepping method as you said. In Brazil there was a time when we had to wait for more than 6 months for the updated products or new releases to arrive. Things have greatly improved over the last couple of years, though. They've finally launched their local Online Apple Store this year (had to use resellers before, as there's also no Apple Retail Store), and now it never takes more than a month for being up-to-date. For reference, the 27" iMacs have a 1-month delivery delay here now, just as they've become 24h at the US. That's acceptable.

But other places like Hong Kong (where I'll be from late April on... \), Korea, most european countries other than the ones cited and even Mexico usually get new products and updates no more than a week later than the US release date. This means the iPad is another story... They either chose to only test demand at a few markets first, or they really had production issues. As was stated before, even in Brazil the iPad had a late March announcement, and now all information is gone, which makes me think it's the second.

Oh, well... it took an year for the iPhone to come to Brazil, or Hong Kong for that matter. So I guess I'll have to do the same I did in 2007: go to the US and get it. Only this time I won't have to jailbreak and unlock!
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Reply
Help kill Adobe's Flash. Complain to websites using it. Join YouTube's HTML5 beta (http://www.youtube.com/html5)
Reply
post #144 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if teckstud was a teabagger (in the political meaning of the word), even though his grammar makes me suspect he is an ESL person who would have nothing in common with the predominantly white grievances of that group.

I am a technician/writer/designer/artist myself so I understand the creative process well. I am looking forward to getting a hold of one of these iPads just to play around with, but I also hope it will be useful.

My only quibble with the design of it, is the disappointingly large bezel which likely won't allow for thumb-typing (crucial to my intended uses), and is I feel a sort of sop towards the lower end users who might inadvertently pick it up wrong and open an app by mistake. It's also a bit big for me as I have great eyesight.

My ideal iPad would be halfway between this and the iPhone in size, with a bezel designed more like the iPhone than the iPad. That way it's more easily stowed in a purse or big pocket instead of having to carry an extra bag, and is still easily big enough to read and (more importantly), the perfect size to thumb type on like the iPhone.

I am constantly surprised that Apple makes all of it's products the same size or only makes one size of each type given the fact that humans come in sizes ranging from 1 to 2.5 metres tall and hand sizes range wildly. I'd like to see them manufacture two or three sizes of all the iProducts and pay much more attention to the ergonomics, but this is something Apple has historically never been very good at. Probably because it destroys the impression of the product as being "perfect" if one size doesn't fit all or one ergonomic decision isn't perceived as right for everyone.

While you personal opinions are your own, the bezel thing has to have been designed for the averages - average users from their research - non-techies for whom thumb typing is an alien skill, who would constantly foul the screen with their fingers while holding it etc.
Apple pays more attention to ergonomics than most companies but also tempers that with aesthetics. The also realize that it leaves a massive market for cases/holders etc. which will drive a supportive eco-system for the iPad.
Overall - there is not so much diversity in the middle 80% of humanity that making 3 versions makes any sense economically or for marketing. I could easily imaging people will buy the one they like the look of (smaller bezel), then hate the screen fouling, return it etc. Thumb-typing freaks/geeks like you or me will never drive an Apple design decision and that is as it should be. The bell curve of humanity drives the optimal size choices more than most things.
Anyway, we have no idea how good the virtual keyboard will be - the demos make it look quite good.
post #145 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'd say also very doubtful. They didn't do this with the iPhone, did they?

Nope, in fact the original iPhone launch, most stores did not even get display models for several days after it went on sale.
post #146 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nope, in fact the original iPhone launch, most stores did not even get display models for several days after it went on sale.

They did have the giant mockups in Apple store widows starting a few days prior, if I remember right.
post #147 of 186
Any bets/thoughts on it making an Oscar appearance?

My guess: Initialy I thought 'Yes,' but then concluded 'No,' since that would be too obvious!
post #148 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nope, in fact the original iPhone launch, most stores did not even get display models for several days after it went on sale.

I had the pleasure of seeing the store at fair oaks mall at iphone's launch. They had signs bigger than a hotel room.
post #149 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


I am constantly surprised that Apple makes all of it's products the same size or only makes one size of each type given the fact that humans come in sizes ranging from 1 to 2.5 metres tall and hand sizes range wildly. I'd like to see them manufacture two or three sizes of all the iProducts and pay much more attention to the ergonomics, but this is something Apple has historically never been very good at.

It's not that they are "not good" at it. In-fact it's their self control to NOT release a barrage of varying devices that makes Apple what they are.

There are a few good reason for Apple's design philosophies, but one of the main ones is that with multiple sizes comes a headache of software testing, not just for Apple but for third party developers. I spent all this morning checking the compatibility with Apples 'limited' range of devices, I would hate to think what it's like to dev for a platform such as Android.

Standardisation of parts = cheap/more reliable products.
Familiarity and consistency also play a role.
post #150 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I would hate to think what it's like to dev for a platform such as Android.

Standardisation of parts = cheap/more reliable products.
Familiarity and consistency also play a role.

The other side of that is the HW. People complained that Apple used the exact same size dimensions between the 3G and 3GS which, I guess, I affected their status since people wouldn't know they had the newest one, but this surely makes the accessories companies and consumers who but a new device happy. At some point, they have to update to stay modern, but going two years with the same design and 8 year(?) with the same 30-pin connector is pretty awesome for CE.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #151 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's not that they are "not good" at it. In-fact it's their self control to NOT release a barrage of varying devices that makes Apple what they are.

There are a few good reason for Apple's design philosophies, but one of the main ones is that with multiple sizes comes a headache of software testing, not just for Apple but for third party developers. I spent all this morning checking the compatibility with Apples 'limited' range of devices, I would hate to think what it's like to dev for a platform such as Android.

Standardisation of parts = cheap/more reliable products.
Familiarity and consistency also play a role.

I would tend to disagree both on the philosophy you are talking about and the nuts and bolts of the particular device.

It has nothing to do with self-control IMO because that implies there is a down side to having multiple sizes of devices to fit the multiple sizes of the humans using them. Other than slightly increased manufacturing costs overall (and it would be very slight indeed), I don't see such a downside.

The major downside of software testing headaches you refer to on multiple size devices presumes (incorrectly), that I was talking about multiple screen resolutions, when it should have been clear I was talking only of multiple sized devices.

I'm not talking about them releasing multiple iPhones all slightly different from each other in the same sense as Android, but in them releasing multiple sizes of the exact same phone. The software isn't at issue at all here.

Apple's computers and devices are basically just wrappers for the software, which is typically central and dictates the hardware design to a great degree. What I'm arguing is that the physical hardware part of the design (the "wrapper" if you will), should take into account the fact that one human hand may be quite literally twice the size of another human hand even if you don't take into account mutations.

The same goes for everything they make, including things like earbud cords, which are sized to be "just right," but for the average sized person only.
post #152 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

While you personal opinions are your own, the bezel thing has to have been designed for the averages - average users from their research - non-techies for whom thumb typing is an alien skill, who would constantly foul the screen with their fingers while holding it etc.
Apple pays more attention to ergonomics than most companies but also tempers that with aesthetics. The also realize that it leaves a massive market for cases/holders etc. which will drive a supportive eco-system for the iPad.
Overall - there is not so much diversity in the middle 80% of humanity that making 3 versions makes any sense economically or for marketing. I could easily imaging people will buy the one they like the look of (smaller bezel), then hate the screen fouling, return it etc. Thumb-typing freaks/geeks like you or me will never drive an Apple design decision and that is as it should be. The bell curve of humanity drives the optimal size choices more than most things.
Anyway, we have no idea how good the virtual keyboard will be - the demos make it look quite good.

Well I guess we just disagree. I don't find any of these arguments convincing.

You say they temper the design with aesthetics, but my artist's eye sees the giant bezel on the iPad as remarkably ugly, and many many people had that same initial reaction. Opinion on the subject was only tempered by the argument that there was a *practical* reason for the bezel. The argument seemingly being that "okay, it's ugly, but there is a reason."

I also disagree that thumb-typing is a "geek thing" or for "techies" only. The iPhone, which is of course hugely popular has portrait style thumb typing as it's default and preferred method of text entry. Several studies have shown that the portrait oriented keyboard is usually faster overall than the landscape orientation.

The iPad is also by default supposed to be used in the same portrait orientation as demonstrated by no less than Steve jobs himself. When in landscape mode, the keyboard on the iPad is slightly smaller than a full-sized keyboard, enough to make it difficult for touch typists. In portrait mode it's even smaller than that. So I would argue that this keyboard is also really intended to be used as a thumb typing board, even though the fat bezels on the side make it just wide enough to be very awkward indeed from all accounts I've read.

Lastly, the iPhone itself is a much smaller device than the iPad and it has very narrow bezels on the sides. To argue that a larger device needs wider bezels seems a bit off to me. The idea that it works on the iPhone (and it does quite handily), but that scaling the device up to twice it's size leaves the side bezel as "too small," and necessitates making it wider doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

The only possible argument in favour of that I can think of is that the weight of the thing precludes holding it in a similar manner to the iPhone (using the edge of your thumb), but it simply isn't that heavy. In fact it's one of the lightest computers out there. About half as light as the MacBook Air which is easily held in one hand in the exact same manner as my iPhone. Remember too, that if you are thumb typing you are actually holding it in two hands, not one.
post #153 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Erm, not really. Low-end 720p televisions will often times use screens that are actually the resolutions you mentioned (because it's cheaper), but in both instances it's a 16:9 screen and the resolution has been stretched to match it. This is why when purchasing a 720p television instead of a 1080p television, it's not so much about whether you notice the improvement in resolution, as to whether you can tolerate the artifacts introduced by the scaling and stretching used to force those resolutions to display 16:9 HD content at 16:9.

A 4:3 screen cannot be 720p HD. But a 1280x960 (4:3) screen could display 720p content without cropping or scaling there would just be letterboxing. If the iPad is going to remain a 4:3 device, 1280x960 would have been the best resolution for it.

Upscaling. Not native HD resolutions.
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
post #154 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Gotta love the way people have bought into the media's total co-opting of what used to be a constitutionalist movement, and is now a way to demonize anyone who disagrees with corruption.

Erm .. the media didn't co-opt it, the teabagger movement did.

Also, for most of us the "constitutionalist movement" you talk about is just a slightly different shade of wacky from the current tea-baggers, and it was actually more Libertarian, than constitutionalist.

Heck it wasn't even traditional Libertarian but simply modern economic Libertarianism. Try telling the average modern American "Libertarian" that true libertarianism involves embracing people's right to be gay, do drugs, and opt out of military duty and see what happens.
post #155 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Erm .. the media didn't co-opt it, the teabagger movement did.

Also, for most of us the "constitutionalist movement" you talk about is just a slightly different shade of wacky from the current tea-baggers, and it was actually more Libertarian, than constitutionalist.

Heck it wasn't even traditional Libertarian but simply modern economic Libertarianism. Try telling the average modern American "Libertarian" that true libertarianism involves embracing people's right to be gay, do drugs, and opt out of military duty and see what happens.

Well said, even if off-topic.
It reminded me of how some so-called old friends of mine informed me that I should not have had the right to vote in the last presidential election. Their reasoning was that I had just sold my older home, and had not yet moved into my new place, as it had not been built yet. I was renting, and therefore not a landowner with residency status.

And they were not kidding!

Like i said, they were friends of mine... So hard to tolerate that kind of small minded mentality.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #156 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Upscaling. Not native HD resolutions.

In the iPad's case, downscaling.
post #157 of 186
God I am fed up with all this BezelBullShit!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You say they temper the design with aesthetics, but my artist's eye sees the giant bezel on the iPad as remarkably ugly, and many many people had that same initial reaction. Opinion on the subject was only tempered by the argument that there was a *practical* reason for the bezel. The argument seemingly being that "okay, it's ugly, but there is a reason."

And have you even taken your "artist's eye" to an art gallery? Ever seen an oil painting in a big frame? Or a framed photographic print surrounded by ivory coloured mounting board?

I don't think the bezel is ugly. And the "practical" reasons for it far outweigh some people's artistic sensitivities.

How are you going to hold it? Remember, the screen is basically one giant button! How are you going to hold it when you turn it around? When you pass it to someone? When you pick it up from the coffee table?

How much "stuff" is inside an iPad. How much "stuff" will you have to remove if you lose 20% of the space by knocking a few millimetres from every side?

Quote:
Lastly, the iPhone itself is a much smaller device than the iPad and it has very narrow bezels on the sides. To argue that a larger device needs wider bezels seems a bit off to me. The idea that it works on the iPhone (and it does quite handily), but that scaling the device up to twice it's size leaves the side bezel as "too small," and necessitates making it wider doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.

Are you making this up as you go along? The iPhone fits in one hand. In fact it' fits in the just the palm of your hand. It's really easy to hold the iPhone in one hand and not even touch the black bezel. Portrait and landscape. Try that with an iPad!

But the iPad isn't twice the size of the iPhone. It's about 6 times the size.... and 5 times the weight. It's a completely different ergonomic problem.

TRY THIS.

Hold an iPhone in both hands.
Landscape format with one thumb over the home button... and the other over the earpiece.
Hold it away from you... normal reading distance.
Now take one hand away.....
How far is your skin from the touch screen?

Now imagine your iPhone is much bigger and heavier.


In defence of the bezel police... I think people will need to hold the damn thing before they can understand what's going on. The pictures don't tell the whole story.
post #158 of 186
Now look what you made me do! \

post #159 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You say they temper the design with aesthetics, but my artist's eye sees the giant bezel on the iPad as remarkably ugly, and many many people had that same initial reaction. Opinion on the subject was only tempered by the argument that there was a *practical* reason for the bezel. The argument seemingly being that "okay, it's ugly, but there is a reason."

Rarely is the most functional design also the most aesthetically pleasing design. And in the case of the iPad, it's beauty stems from it's functionality, which is most often the case with Apple products in general. Remember the lamp iMac? goofy-as-all-hell, but unbeatable in functionality until screens above 20 inches became the norm on consumer desktops.
post #160 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Now look what you made me do! \


Very well done. Puts the bezel in perspective. I didn't realize how close the bezels were.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12