or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12 - Page 2

post #41 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

So it's late then.

Not really - just slightly. No big deal. Could have been anything, and likely a marketing decision.
post #42 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

My hat gets tipped to anyone and everyone who buys a $500 16Gb Wifi iDevice.
May you not complain in 6 months when the price drops.

In your rush to insult us all, you forgot to put any sense or meaning in your comment. What the heck is "$500 16GB WiFi device" even mean?

Even if I ignore the mis-spelling of "GB" (you said Gigabit), there are "WiFi devices" of all stripes, sizes and prices from 50 cents all the way up to millions of dollars.

The only rational price comparison to make is with other devices of a similar type that have come out fairly recently. When you do that, the iPad comes out as a very good deal indeed. Sure it will likely go down in price a bit or have more memory for the same price later, but for right now, it's one of the highest performing tablets you can get for one of the lowest prices around.

To suggest that it's somehow overpriced is just ridiculous.
post #43 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_private View Post

"While the Wi-Fi model will be the only available at first, the 3G-capable iPad is expected to arrive in late April. In addition, all versions of the hardware will be available in the U.K., Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Japan, Span and Switzerland in late April."

Thats a fuzzy announcement. What does it mean for me living in Germany? Do I have to wait until later of April even if I want to buy only the wifi version or will this one also arrive in Germany on April 3??

Peter

Yes. Other sites express that clearly. You're right that the AI story is unclear.
post #44 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

They're releasing it on Easter weekend? That's a pain for people who will be traveling out of town.


But in this case release date is a Saturday. That complicates things considerably.

FedEx and UPS deliver on Saturdays, don't they?
post #45 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Excellent that you can reserve one at an Apple store. I will be doing just that come March 12, and then driving to Buffalo (from Toronto) to pick my WiFi 64GB version up April 3rd.

Won't it be grey market then? Will you be able to get support or service in canada with a foreign-bought model?
post #46 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

At least one will sit in the family room, next to the TV etc. and be convenient for family to use & browse,

If it were capable of displaying most common web video stuff, that's what I would do. As of now, however, a decent small laptop would be much better for that purpose, so I'm waiting for a full-featured tablet. I might be convinced to buy a higher-end netbook instead, if none of the upcoming tablets fit the bill.

The presumed inability of the 'Pad to decode common video codecs also holds me back. I wish that Apple had made it so it would just work, but as of now, it is too crippled for what I would want.
post #47 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AI, I realize you had to make a story out of it, but one line of 'news,' and the rest just cut-and-paste of corporate-speak from Apple!?

Would you have accepted "See title" as the body of the story? :P
post #48 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple isn't up because of this all the markets are up this morning because of the jobs report that was released today. Has nothing to do with Apple.

Nasdaq is up 1.5% while AAPL is up 4.5% the announcement has something to do with it.
post #49 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post


I am still wondering about one thing: tethering your iPhone to a Wifi-only iPad? Will work?

Given that it uses iOS, it is likely that you will need to use third-party software to do it, and that software will be unavailable at the iStore.

If you download apps from the Cydia store, however, it probably will then just work.
post #50 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yes he did go back and read his quote. To prove my point google right now is up 9.50 which I doubt has anything to do with the iPad. The market is simply up today.

The market is up 1%., GOOG is up 1%, AAPL is up 4.0%.. I wonder why Apple is up 3+ times more.. wait.. could it be because the of the announcement?!

It is a combination of both the announcement and the market overall. If it wasn't for the announcement we would have seen Apple up 1% to 1.5% like everyone else and not 4.0%.
post #51 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple isn't up because of this all the markets are up this morning because of the jobs report that was released today. Has nothing to do with Apple.

The market is up ~1%. Given Apple's high beta (sensitivity of a stock's returns to the market's returns), we would expect a 'normal' ~2% increase for the stock. AAPL is up 3.3%. The 'abnormal' ~1.3% is clearly attributable to the only significant news from Apple for the the day, i.e., the iPad.

These are market basics.

Let me know if you'd like any references so that you can educate yourself.
post #52 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple isn't up because of this all the markets are up this morning because of the jobs report that was released today. Has nothing to do with Apple.

Don't ruin his high- let him enjoy himself.
post #53 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

If it were capable of displaying most common web video stuff, that's what I would do. As of now, however, a decent small laptop would be much better for that purpose, so I'm waiting for a full-featured tablet. I might be convinced to buy a higher-end netbook instead, if none of the upcoming tablets fit the bill.

The presumed inability of the 'Pad to decode common video codecs also holds me back. I wish that Apple had made it so it would just work, but as of now, it is too crippled for what I would want.

So are you talking about web content specifically, or do you mean it will only be able to play videos encoded with one type of codec? Like, I won't be able to transfer a dvdrip torrent to it and play it without using videora or something first?
post #54 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yes he did go back and read his quote. To prove my point google right now is up 9.50 which I doubt has anything to do with the iPad. The market is simply up today.

My friend, you should take the time to understand percentage changes versus dollar value changes.
post #55 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Like I said Apple is up because the entire market is up. Google is currently up 9.50 is that also because of the iPad.. Educate yourself. The entire market is up because of the jobs report. Get a clue.

Gosh, I am sure lots of people would love to be your stockbroker!
post #56 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Defintely a Granny device,

Yep. Likely (hopefully!) there will be some cool Android tablets for the rest of us.
post #57 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Don't ruin his high- let him enjoy himself.

TEK, next time, pick a better identity: The sly anti-Obama + focus on thyself (yesiCan) is too obvious, man.
post #58 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Gosh, I am sure lots of people would love to be your stockbroker!

Well, yeah specially when $5 drop in a $200 share is 10%
post #59 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah I might as well. I guess when you have to sell your shares to afford an iPad your not very smart or as well of as you claim..

at least he can spell YOU'RE and OFF!

jk jk jk

seriously, who cares? what an odd thing to bicker about. The market is up today everywhere. Being the ignorant uneducated doofus that I am, I have to go with my gut instinct and say Apple's stock is slightly higher because of this announcement, but maybe not by as much as some people here would like to make it sound.

I say that because I just don't see the sense in it going up a good bit all from this announcement. Everyone knew it was coming already.
post #60 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In your rush to insult us all, you forgot to put any sense or meaning in your comment. What the heck is "$500 16GB WiFi device" even mean?

Even if I ignore the mis-spelling of "GB" (you said Gigabit), there are "WiFi devices" of all stripes, sizes and prices from 50 cents all the way up to millions of dollars.

Funny how you felt the need to slam me for using Gb instead of GB yet fully understood what I meant? \

And fyi-"$500 16GB WiFi device" means exactly what it says.
post #61 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So are you talking about web content specifically, or do you mean it will only be able to play videos encoded with one type of codec? Like, I won't be able to transfer a dvdrip torrent to it and play it without using videora or something first?


I'm talking about both. Lots of video on the 'web just won't work on a 'Pad.

Additionally, lots and lots of video will need transcoding to work.

And finally, the antique aspect ratio means that movies will be tiny compared to any modern 16:9 10 inch screen.

Meh. The 'Pad falls down in exactly the areas for which I would most want a tablet.
post #62 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Now if only Apple would announce or release the MBP updates. The wait on this is really killing me.

You, me and Wu's estimate of 50 other people are waiting as well.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #63 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Thats almost as bad as having to delete your post for not being able to read.

Nice try. Keep refreshing this page every 2 seconds if that makes you feel better
post #64 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

My hat gets tipped to anyone and everyone who buys a $500 16Gb Wifi iDevice.
May you not complain in 6 months when the price drops.

Appreciate the derision \ Ever buy a new car?


Some of us DEVELOP software...it's a BUSINESS expense, mate.
post #65 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Gosh, I am sure lots of people would love to be your stockbroker!

I do have a bridge I'd like to sell. Way under market value.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #66 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Nice try. Keep refreshing this page every 2 seconds if that makes you feel better

techPowerUp forums let you sit and watch a thread get updated in real time without having to refresh the page. Off topic, I know, but still cool. For threads that move quickly it's kinda like being in a chat room.
post #67 of 186
Will it be successful? Oh my Gods!! It is too much the mystery. We shall see...
post #68 of 186
Does this mean that there likely won't be any shortages as speculated before?
post #69 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah I might as well. I guess when you have to sell your shares to afford an iPad your not very smart or as well of as you claim..

I claimed neither.
post #70 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Like everyone else said, you are entirely without a clue. Education your way would be like being sent back six grades.

Well, that would assume that they (as in extremeskater) got past the 5th?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #71 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

But if the thing isn't operator locked (is it?) I can go to any of the mentioned countries and purchase a Wifi or later on a Wifi + 3G and carry home to Sweden. Or?

The US 3G model is unlocked, nothing specific about carriers and locked vs. unlocked has been said for other countries.

Quote:
I am still wondering about one thing: tethering your iPhone to a Wifi-only iPad? Will work?

That is the big question.
post #72 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Does this mean that there likely won't be any shortages as speculated before?

I'm speculating that there may or may not be....
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #73 of 186
One more winner for the ignore list, joining some very exclusive company.

Anyway, investors might be tickled about the shipping date finally being announced and not a month or more delayed as some of the rumors suggested. But that's a temporary boost which will be measured against the estimates of demand made in the first few days of availability. Stock pricing in the short run is all about anticipation. In the long run, it's about earnings.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #74 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Hey listen, if you need some accessories come to me first. I don't want you to have to mug an old lady to get your iPad fix. I know I don't know much about the market but maybe you should just save up before you get an iPad instead of selling your shares that you truly believe are going to increase to 270-280.

Maybe go to the neighbors and ask to cut their grass or walk their dog make a little extra money.....

Listen to our mentor Solip, stock is for the long term. What good is having an Appleinsider mentor is you don't listen to him?

Thanks for your offer. You're very kind. Don't worry, I will not have to mug any old ladies for my Apple fix -- I am all set. Somehow, I'll manage. Even after selling my 10 shares, I'll still have enough left over that I am holding to put one of my kids through four years of private college!

I can understand -- and empathize with, since I was there once -- why guys like you resent people like me.
post #75 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

I am still wondering about one thing: tethering your iPhone to a Wifi-only iPad? Will work?

Tethering should work, but note that the WiFi-only version also lacks GPS, so it's not completely equivalent. Both have everything else, though.
post #76 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

AI, I realize you had to make a story out of it, but one line of 'news,' and the rest just cut-and-paste of corporate-speak from Apple!?

Yay! we agree on something.

If AI isn't in fact owned by Apple, it might as well be.

Quote:
iPad makes it easy to watch movies, TV shows and YouTube, all in HD

HD eh, really?
post #77 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Funny how you felt the need to slam me for using Gb instead of GB yet fully understood what I meant? \ ...

Well it was a kind of snarky remark, but then I was replying to same.

And I *don't* understand what you mean about the "WiFi device," but don't bother explaining cause I already couldn't care less. With the exchange we've had so far I don't see how it would be productive or useful to discuss this with you.
post #78 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

HD eh, really?

It's 1024x768. Technically, HD is 720p or over, no?
post #79 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well it was a kind of snarky remark, but then I was replying to same.

And I *don't* understand what you mean about the "WiFi device," but don't bother explaining cause I already couldn't care less. With the exchange we've had so far I don't see how it would be productive or useful to discuss this with you.

Trust me, it works wonders for your sanity if you can avoid getting into a conversation with TEKSTUD.... I mean, yesiCan.
post #80 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Anyway, investors might be tickled about the shipping date finally being announced and not a month or more delayed as some of the rumors suggested. But that's a temporary boost which will be measured against the estimates of demand made in the first few days of availability. Stock pricing in the short run is all about anticipation. In the long run, it's about earnings.

Completely agree. Amazing how some folks have trouble grasping something so simple.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple iPad to arrive in U.S. on April 3, preorders begin March 12