or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Should TeaBaggers be tried in military courts?

Should TeaBaggers be tried in military courts? - Page 2

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

It really irks you that he's was a TeaBagger of the Libertarian flavor, doesn't it. Zero government funding of education in your world is a Democratic belief now. How interesting your view on politics are becoming!

Picking one of his thoughts to make him be what you want is not the whole picture. Anything but Democrat is all I see from you. If he was a democrat does that taint you somehow?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #42 of 65
Quote:

It really irks you that he's was a TeaBagger of the Libertarian flavor, doesn't it. Zero government funding of education in your world is a Democratic belief now. How interesting your view on politics are becoming!

it doesn't irk me at all because an accusation without foundation shouldn't irk anyone.

I am a bit irked by the lack of follow up by authorities. There is this guy I've been reading posts from lately on this very forum who clearly is making some large logical leaps and seems quite upset. I suspect we may soon be visited by violence rendered from him. He also seems to be projecting quite a bit and is clearly disconnected from reality suffering from profound denial with regard to presented facts.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #43 of 65
Well I'm irked.

Me and my ilk are irked.

And you wanna know what really irks my ilk? The exploitation of horrific actions committed by madmen for political gain.

Want to try to demonize and discredit those you don't agree with rather than debate them on the issues and come to a compromise everyone can live with? Just try to connect them in some way to these crazed murderers and claim they all think the same way and plan to commit the same kinds of atrocities. That way you don't have to confront them in the arena of ideas, right?

That's what irks my ilk. The ilk that puts their pants on one leg at a time just like you. The ilk that works full time to support their families. The ilk that values family, friends, and freedom. The ilk that wants what's best for this country and is trying to help things get better the best they know how. The ilk that knows if we don't reign in our out-of-control government, things are never going to substantially improve. The ilk that doesn't wish harm on any other human being, regardless of differences of opinion, culture, race, gender, religion, shoe size, or hair color.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #44 of 65
Was this yet another terrorist TeaBagger that was shot by police today on Capitol Hill?
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_720775.html
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #45 of 65
Quote:

Was this yet another terrorist TeaBagger that was shot by police today on Capitol Hill?
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_720775.html

So go from "violence, it is sort of done by everyone, everywhere all the time for a multitude of reasons so please don't single out communism" to ... teabagger.

You are so funny. Hypocritical and funny.

post #46 of 65
Too bad Obama and Holder refuse to prosecute the actual terrorism caught on video done by the new black panthers. Integrity FAIL!
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Has Obama closed Guantamano yet?

Has Obama opened one yet?
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

So go from "violence, it is sort of done by everyone, everywhere all the time for a multitude of reasons so please don't single out communism" to ... teabagger.

You are so funny. Hypocritical and funny.

"Funny"...hmmm...Yes! but hypocritical...NEVER EVER EVER!!

You're obviously getting me muddled with someone else in the commie count thread that you started. I didn't post there and haven't expressed any views on the subject ever at all, either online or anywhere else in my entire life.

So please trumpman, apologize.

post #49 of 65
Quote:

"Funny"...hmmm...Yes! but hypocritical...NEVER EVER EVER!!

You're obviously getting me muddled with someone else in the commie count thread that you started. I didn't post there and haven't expressed any views on the subject ever at all, either online or anywhere else in my entire life.

So please trumpman, apologize.

You should get that selective amnesia looked at Seg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I think so. And of course to avoid blame and to remain 'the good guy' the opposite number - Communist or Capitalist - will be painted as 'evil'.

Really though evil is in the hearts of men across the globe pretty equally don't you think?

Quote:

Or "Humanity Body Count" might be better.

I've got an idea - how about looking at it from the other angle: can anyone suggest a society that did not have injustice, violence and 'body counts'?

There's the whole panoply of history to choose from..

See you speak in these wonderful platitudes until it is a member you desire to move against politically. Then it becomes teabaggers, and other associated slurs and calls for action.

post #50 of 65
Quote:

See you speak in these wonderful platitudes until it is a member you desire to move against politically. Then it becomes teabaggers, and other associated slurs and calls for action.

Don't think I've ever used the word 'teabaggers' nor is it me that you were replying to in the first quote but Hands Sandon.

You're confused again Trumpy.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #51 of 65
Quote:

TeaBagger terrorists act independently in small groups or alone to murder, whereas communism is a much bigger machine and really shouldn't be compared in the way you are doing.

I fully accept your gracious and indeed noble apology in such a timely manner. You have my upmost respect jazzguru.

post #52 of 65
Quote:

TeaBagger terrorists....

That's racist...
post #53 of 65
No, it's funny. Teabaggers first called themselves that long before anyone else did. And it's fucking funny.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

That's racist...

It comes from the TeaBaggers, go figure!

post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Teabaggers first called themselves that...

It's a nasty pejorative advanced by the biased MSNBC crowd as well as CNN, but interestingly enough the homosexual/lesbian media (Anderson Cooper/Rachel Maddow) tend to use the slur most often... respectable media use the proper Tea Party reference...
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

It's a nasty pejorative advanced by the biased MSNBC crowd as well as CNN, but interestingly enough the homosexual/lesbian media (Anderson Cooper/Rachel Maddow) tend to use the slur most often... respectable media use the proper Tea Party reference...

It's not homosexual in nature. It also was first used by the teabaggers themselves. It's hilarious that they didn't know what the act was.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #57 of 65
No surprises here- http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oc...ague-tea-party

"As the far-right group marches in Leicester, details are emerging of growing contacts with extremist US groups in a 'war on Islamification"

The English Defence League, a far-right grouping aimed at combating the "Islamification" of British cities, has developed strong links with the American Tea Party movement.
An Observer investigation has established that the EDL has made contact with anti-jihad groups within the Tea Party organisation and has invited a senior US rabbi and Tea Party activist to London this month. Rabbi Nachum Shifren, a regular speaker at Tea Party conventions, will speak about Sharia law and also discuss funding issues.
The league has also developed links with Pamela Geller, who was influential in the protests against plans to build an Islamic cultural centre near Ground Zero. Geller, darling of the Tea Party's growing anti-Islamic wing, is advocating an alliance with the EDL. The executive director of the Stop Islamisation of America organisation, she recently met EDL leaders in New York and has defended the group's actions, despite a recent violent march in Bradford.
Geller, who denies being anti-Muslim, said in one of her blogs: "I share the EDL's goals… We need to encourage rational, reasonable groups that oppose the Islamisation of the west."
Devin Burghart, vice-president of the Kansas-based Institute for Research & Education on Human Rights, said: "Geller is acting as the bridge between the EDL and the Tea Party. She plays an important role in bringing Islamophobia into the Tea Party. Her stature has increased substantially inside the Tea Party ranks after the Ground Zero mosque controversy. She has gained a lot of credibility with that stuff."
Details of the EDL's broadening aspirations came as about 1,000 supporters yesterday gathered to demonstrate in Leicester, which has a significant Muslim population. Home secretary Theresa May banned marches in the city last week but the EDL said its protest would proceed, raising fears of violence. Parts of Leicester were cordoned off to separate a counter-protest from Unite Against Fascism. Officers from 13 forces were on hand to maintain order.
The Tea Party is expected to be an influential force in America's mid-term elections. Last month their candidate Christine O'Donnell romped to the Republican nomination in Delaware, following a stream of populist rightwing candidates who carry the movement's endorsement. Burghart says anti-Islamic tendencies have become far more marked in the grassroots organisation: "As we move farther and farther away from the Tea Party origins, that were ostensibly around debt and bail-outs, social issues like Islamophobia are replacing that anger, that vigour. The idea that there is a war between Islam and the west is becoming commonplace."
Another Tea Party-associated grouping, the International Civil Liberties Alliance, which campaigns against Sharia law, confirmed that EDL leaders have made "contacts with members of important organisations within the American counter-jihad movement". A statement said: "It seems now that America and Europe are acting as one, and united we can never fail."
With the Tea Party said to benefit from millions of dollars of funding from conservative foundations, experts warn an alliance between the EDL and extremist elements within the US movement could allow the English group to invest in wider recruitment and activism.
Shifren, a Californian senate candidate, said Britain's Jewish community should rally behind the EDL: "The Jewish community is paralysed with fear, exactly what most radical Muslim agitators want. The people of England are in the forefront of this war – and it is a war. One of the purposes of this visit is to put the kibosh on the notion in the Jewish community that they cannot co-operate with the EDL, which is rubbish."
The EDL's website relaunched briefly last week with new US links. Currently shut down for "maintenance", the site featured prominent links to a site called Atlas Shrugs, which is run by Geller, and another US-based site, Jihad Watch, which compiles negative news coverage of Islamic militancy.
In addition, two members of the EDL leadership, a British businessman called Alan Lake who is believed to fund the group and a man known by the alias Kinana, are regular contributors to web forum 4Freedoms. The forum claims to be "organising US activities" and has links to the anti-jihad group, American Congress for Truth, which in turn has supporters within the Tea Party.
Lake is also believed to have been in touch with a number of anti-Islamic Christian evangelical groups in the US. One posting by Lake on 4Freedoms warns that the UK of the future will start to fragment into Islamic enclaves. Lake, believed to be a principal bankroller of the EDL, which claims to be a peaceful, non-racist organisation, is understood to be keen on the possibility of setting up the UK equivalent of the Tea Party. At an event organised by the Taxpayers' Allliance last month, US Tea Party organisers outlined how the movement emerged last year, partly in protest at the US bank bail-out.
Those present included Freedom Works and the Cato Institute, one of the Tea Party's main backers. However, Simon Richards, director of the Gloucestershire-based Freedom Association, which is looking at developing a pseudo-Tea Party movement in the UK, said he was concerned the project could be hijacked by elements such as the EDL. Nick Lowles of anti-fascist organisation Searchlight said: "The EDL is an integral part of an international campaign against Islam. While some are fighting in a cultural and political arena, the EDL are taking it to the streets. The images of the EDL allegedly taking on Muslim fundamentalists on the streets of Britain is also delighting right wing religious organisations in US."

post #58 of 65
They should be tried in the military courts because these acts of terror are against the government.They should be found guilty and imprisoned the rest of their lives like the asshole in the NYC bombing. Threw away the key and let them rot in there.
post #59 of 65
Video of the EDL Cro-magnons attacking the police - one of the gorillas manages to down an officer while others chant 'Let him die.."

Video

This sort of thing is quite common in the UK - every Friday and Saturday night - but the US should brace itself. If the Tea Party are in cahoots with thugs like these this sort of carnage is coming to a street near you.

Soon.

Thank you fundamentalist Christians.

Thank you for trying to save me from my sin by getting my head kicked in.
post #60 of 65
More on the English (NOT British - we don't have morons like this in Scotland and Wales) Defence League here.
post #61 of 65
Quote:

Following yesterdays terrorist attack on the Pentagon and last weeks terrorist suicide attack on an IRS building, should these [TeaBaggers] (terrorists) be tried in a military court and would that help keep us safer?

The question whether the TeaBagger terrorist should of could be tried by Military Courts [Military Commissions] is moot unless the laws enacted by Public Law 109-366 are amended to include citizens of the US that are committing these acts which are covered by current US terrorism laws and the Patriot Act. Currently these terrorists would come under the Patriot Act and would be tried in Federal Court. These cases would be be similar to the McVeigh/Nichols' 1995 case which was tried in Federal Court.

The reason why these cases could not be tried by a Military Commission is that these tribunals do not have jurisdiction over the person, of the subject matter, and whether there is jurisdiction to render the particular judgment sought. For more information please read below.

Quote:
definition: Jurisdiction

1. Power of a court to adjudicate cases and issue orders.
2.Territory within which a court or government agency may properly exercise its power.See, e.g. Ruhrgas AG v. Marathon Oil Co. et al., 526 U.S. 574 (1999).http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/98-470.ZS.html

jurisdiction: an overview
One of the most fundamental questions of law is whether a given court has jurisdiction to preside over a given case. A jurisdictional question may be broken down into three components:
1. whether there is jurisdiction over the person (in personam),
2. whether there is jurisdiction over the subject matter, or res (in rem), and
3. whether there is jurisdiction to render the particular judgment sought

http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/Jurisdiction

Senate Bill S.3930 109th Congress Second Session:http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...3930is.txt.pdf

Legislative History and Timeline@ http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcon...=gregorymcneal

Military Commissions Act of 2006. 10 USC 948aOct. 17, 2006
120 STAT. 2600--Public Law 109366 109th Congress
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...ubl366.109.pdf

An Act
To authorize trial by military commission for violations of the law of war, and for other purposes.

SECTION 1
(a) SHORT TITLE.This Act may be cited as the Military Commissions Act of 2006.

SUBCHAPTER IGENERAL PROVISIONS

§ 948a. Definitions
Quote:
(1) UNLAWFUL ENEMY COMBATANT.(A) The term unlaw-
ful enemy combatant means (i) a person who has engaged in hostilities or who
has purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States or its co-belligerents who is not a lawful enemy combatant (including a person who is part of the Taliban, al Qaeda, or associated forces); or
(ii) a person who, before, on, or after the date of the enactment of the Military Commissions Act of 2006, has been determined to be an unlawful enemy combatant by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal or another com- petent tribunal established under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense.

(2) LAWFUL ENEMY COMBATANT.The term lawful enemy combatant means a person who is
(A) a member of the regular forces of a State party engaged in hostilities against the United States;
(B) a member of a militia, volunteer corps, or orga- nized resistance movement belonging to a State party engaged in such hostilities, which are under responsible command, wear a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance, carry their arms openly, and abide by the law of war; or
(C) a member of a regular armed force who professes allegiance to a government engaged in such hostilities, but not recognized by the United States.

(3) ALIEN.The term alien means a person who is not
a citizen of the United States.

Above Amended to:

Quote:
[§ 948a.Definitions
(1) ALIEN.The term alien means an individual who
is not a citizen of the United States.
(6) PRIVILEGED BELLIGERENT.The term privileged bellig- erent means an individual belonging to one of the eight cat- egories enumerated in Article 4 of the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
(7) UNPRIVILEGED ENEMY BELLIGERENT.The term unprivileged enemy belligerent means an individual (other than a privileged belligerent) who
(A) has engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners;
(B) has purposefully and materially supported hos- tilities against the United States or its coalition partners; or
(C) was a part of al Qaeda at the time of the alleged offense under this chapter.
(9) HOSTILITIES.The term hostilities means any conflict subject to the laws of war.

http://www.defense.gov/news/2009%20M...w%20111-84.pdf

§ 948c. Persons subject to military commissions
Quote:
Any alien unlawful enemy combatant is subject to trial by military commission under this chapter.

Above Amended to:
Quote:
[Any alien unprivileged enemy belligerent is subject to trial by military commission as set forth in this chapter.]

§ 948d. Jurisdiction of military commissions
Quote:
(a) JURISDICTION.A military commission under this chapter shall have jurisdiction to try any offense made punishable by this chapter or the law of war when committed by an alien unlawful enemy combatant before, on, or after September 11, 2001.
(b) LAWFUL ENEMY COMBATANTS.Military commissions under this chapter shall not have jurisdiction over lawful enemy combat- ants. Lawful enemy combatants who violate the law of war are subject to chapter 47 of this title. Courts-martial established under that chapter shall have jurisdiction to try a lawful enemy combatant for any offense made punishable under this chapter.
(c) DETERMINATION OF UNLAWFUL ENEMY COMBATANT STATUS DISPOSITIVE.A finding, whether before, on, or after the date of the enactment of the Military Commissions Act of 2006, by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal or another competent tribunal established under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense that a person is an unlawful enemy combatant is disposi- tive for purposes of jurisdiction for trial by military commission under this chapter.
(d) PUNISHMENTS.A military commission under this chapter may, under such limitations as the Secretary of Defense may pre- scribe, adjudge any punishment not forbidden by this chapter, including the penalty of death when authorized under this chapter or the law of war.

Jurisdiction section was amended to:

Quote:
Amended [A military commission under this chapter shall have jurisdic- tion to try persons subject to this chapter for any offense made punishable by this chapter, sections 904 and 906 of this title (arti- cles 104 and 106 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice), or the law of war, whether such offense was committed before, on, or after September 11, 2001, and may, under such limitations as the President may prescribe, adjudge any punishment not forbid- den by this chapter, including the penalty of death when specifically authorized under this chapter. A military commission is a competent tribunal to make a finding sufficient for jurisdiction.]

Quote:
\tThe Military Commissions Act of 2006 establishes procedures governing the use of Military Commissions to try alien unlawful enemy combatants engaged in hostilities against the United States for violations of the law of war and other offenses triable by Military Commission. The Military Commissions Act of 2006 authorizes the President to establish Military Commissions.
\tThe Military Commissions Act of 2006 establishes jurisdiction over any alien unlawful enemy combatant. The Military Commissions Act of 2006 defines alien unlawful enemy combatant as:
o A person who has engaged in hostilities or has purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States or its co-belligerents who is not a lawful enemy combatant (including a person who is part of the Taliban, al Qaeda, or associated forces); or
o A person who has been determined to be an unlawful enemy combatant by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal (CSRT) or another competent tribunal established under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense.

http://www.defense.gov/news/d2007OMC...eet08Feb07.pdf

How the USA PATRIOT Act redefines "Domestic Terrorism"

Quote:
Section 802 of the USA PATRIOT Act (Pub. L. No. 107-52) expanded the definition of terrorism to cover ""domestic,"" as opposed to international, terrorism.***A person engages in domestic terrorism if they do an act ""dangerous to human life"" that is a violation of the criminal laws of a state or the United States, if the act appears to be intended to:**(i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping.**Additionally, the acts have to occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States and if they do not, may be regarded as international terrorism.

Section 802 does not create a new crime of domestic terrorism.**However, it does expand the type of conduct that the government can investigate when it is investigating ""terrorism.""***The USA PATRIOT Act expanded governmental powers to investigate terrorism, and some of these powers are applicable to domestic terrorism.

The definition of domestic terrorism is broad enough to encompass the activities of several prominent activist campaigns and organizations. Greenpeace, Operation Rescue, Vieques Island and WTO protesters and the Environmental Liberation Front have all recently engaged in activities that could subject them to being investigated as engaging in domestic terrorism.*

http://www.aclu.org/national-securit...stic-terrorism
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #62 of 65
Military Tribunals: Historical Patterns and Lessons

Quote:
After the terrorist acts of September 11, 2001, President George W. Bush authorized the creation of military tribunals to try individuals who gave assistance to the attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C. The military order issued by President Bush closely traced the model established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who appointed a military tribunal in 1942 to try eight German saboteurs. In Ex parte Quirin (1942), the Supreme Court unanimously upheld the jurisdiction of Roosevelts tribunal.

Quote:
One of the principal methods of legislative control over military trials, including tribunals, are the Articles of War that Congress enacts into law. The Constitution vests in Congress the power to constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court, to make rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces, and to define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations. By enacting Articles of War, Congress defined not only the procedures but also the punishments to be applied to the field of military law.

Quote:
Through the express grants of authority in Article I of the Constitution, Congress is empowered to create and define military courts, both courts-martial and militarytribunals. WilliamWinthrop,thepremier19thcenturyauthorityonmi litary law, wrote: in general, it is those provisions of the Constitution which empower Congress to declare war and raise armies, and which, in authorizing the initiation of war, authorize the employment of all necessary and proper agencies for its due prosecution, from which this tribunal [the military commission] derives its original sanction.

Quote:
On a number of occasions, the executive branch has claimed that the President, as Commander in Chief, has independent authority to create military tribunals and determine their procedures and the penalties meted out. Under this interpretation, the President may act without congressional authority or even in the face of statutory restrictions. The Supreme Court has never accepted that argument. Instead, it has looked to statutory support for tribunals,

Quote:
The Court has repeatedly expressed concern about the concentration of power that would result if the executive branch alone had the power to create military tribunals. In 1946, it emphasized the important constitutional principle that courts and their procedural safeguards are indispensable to our system of government, and that the framers were opposed to governments that placed in the hands of one man the power to make, interpret and enforce the laws.

In the cases that evolved from 1952 to 1957, Justice Black led the Court in rejecting military trials over civilians. Dissenting in the 1952 Yvette Madsen case, he objected that executive officers acting under presidential authority created the system of courts that tried her, promulgated the edicts she was convicted of violating, and appointed the judges who took away her liberty.\tThree years later he wrote for the Court:
Quote:
We find nothing in the history or constitutional treatment of military tribunals which entitles them to rank along with Article III courts as adjudicators of the guilt or innocence of people charged with offenses for which they can be deprived of their life, liberty or property.

\tWriting for the Court in 1957, he warned that if the President
Quote:
can provide rules of substantive law as well as procedure, then he and his military subordinates exercise legislative, executive and judicial powers with respect to those subject to military trials. Such a concentration of power, he said, ran counter to the core constitutional principle of separation of powers.

Other federal judges have reached the same conclusion. U.S. District Judge Stern, in the Tiede case, rejected the governments position that the executive branch can determine by itself the availability of constitutional safeguards, such as the right to a jury trial. Such power, he said, would allow the government to arrest any person without cause, to hold a person incommunicado, to deny an accused the benefit of counsel, to try a person summarily and to impose sentence all as a part of the unreviewable exercise of foreign policy.

http://www.fas.org/irp/crs/RL32458.pdf
post #63 of 65
What the hell is it with Right-Wingers and dressing up as Nazis?

First there was that moron in the US (forget his name) with the Waffen SS Appreciation Society and now the leader of the Extreme-Right-Wing Tory Council in Harrogate is dressing up as Hitler.

Quote:
A Conservative council leader from Harrogate had been suspended by the party after being photographed dressed as Adolf Hitler and giving a Nazi salute.

Link

There's something going on here....the extreme-right seem to be idolizing Nazi Germany and making conscious efforts to both bring Nazi iconography back into the mainstream as well as to implement policies which would not have been out of place in the Weimar Republic.

I am becoming (more) concerned.
post #64 of 65
Quote:

What the hell is it with Right-Wingers and dressing up as Nazis?

First there was that moron in the US (forget his name) with the Waffen SS Appreciation Society and now the leader of the Extreme-Right-Wing Tory Council in Harrogate is dressing up as Hitler.

Link

There's something going on here....the extreme-right seem to be idolizing Nazi Germany and making conscious efforts to both bring Nazi iconography back into the mainstream as well as to implement policies which would not have been out of place in the Weimar Republic.

I am becoming (more) concerned.

This guy? Rich Lott, GOP (Republican) candidate running for US Congress from Ohio.

I recall that there was a little dispute in Europe 1939-1945 to get rid of these guys. \
Then there's this:

Neo-nazism is Europe's hidden terrorist menace
Khaled Diab
guardian.co.uk

Quote:
Hitler's ideological descendants, who have become increasingly emboldened in recent years, constitute a growing, if still minor, threat that largely goes unnoticed and under-reported.

Quote:
In May 2010, a British neo-Nazi father and son who, in an worrying echo of a bygone era, had set up a group to overthrow the government because they believed it had been taken over by Jews planned to poison Jewish, Muslim and black people with ricin.

In addition, neo-nazism seems to be going increasingly global, with groups in different European countries and the US building increasingly strong alliances. Examples of this include Combat 18 and Blood and Honour (of which BBET is a splinter group).

The most troubling threat posed by neo-nazism, and the far right in general, as opposed to Islamism, is that it is an indigenous ideology which once held powerful sway in Europe, even in countries that were not run by Nazi regimes. If we are not careful and do not learn the lessons of history, there is the future possibility that Nazi and fascist totalitarianism may rear its ugly face again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-terror-attack

But this is nothing new:

Neo-Nazism in Europe
August 21, 2008 by Mary Nichols

Quote:
Extremist political groups and parties often flourish in regions of economic deprivation, where populations feel alienated from the establishment, disillusioned by mainstream politics and seek convenient scapegoats for their circumstances. This may mean that one outcome of the current global economic downturn and its exacerbating impact on already disadvantaged areas may be a expansion of the neo-Nazism which is already taking a grip in some rural areas of Eastern Germany and has been making its presence felt in other European countries.

In Germany, the spread of neo-Nazism especially in the former Communist-controlled rural eastern provinces has been a growing problem over the past decade. Although Nazi organizations have been officially banned in Germany since the end of World War II, poor clarity and enforcement of the laws have allowed a large number of mainly small neo-Nazi groups to emerge it was estimated in 2001 that these had a total membership of at least 50,000. Blatantly racist neo-Nazi activity came to public attention as a result of media coverage of violent racist attacks as well as high-profile campaigns such as the 2001 Berlin demonstration against the opening of a Crimes of the Wehrmacht exhibition, which resulted in violent clashes between neo-Nazi demonstrators and left-wing anti-Nazi opponents. Between 1999 and 2000 the number of racist and other far right crimes rose by 59% to 16,000 in Germany, with violent crime accounting for more than 1,000 cases, including more than 30 brutal murders of foreigners. Neo Nazi racism and xenophobia was partly fuelled in the late 1990s, as in other parts of Europe, by the influx of large numbers of refugees and asylum seekers. Members of these groups became the most common targets of neo-Nazi racial violence, purportedly because they were stealing jobs from German nationals, committing crime and ruining traditional German communities.

http://www.citizeneconomists.com/blo...ism-in-europe/
post #65 of 65

Harry's Nazi Gaffe Stirs More Outrage
BY STEPHEN M. SILVERMAN AND SIMON PERRY
Friday January 14, 2005 08:00 AM EST

Quote:
A mixture of outrage and speculation continues to brew around the world after photos were published of Prince Harry wearing a Nazi uniform at a friend's costume party last weekend.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1017620,00.html

Harry says sorry for Nazi costume

Quote:
Prince Harry has apologised for wearing a swastika armband to a friend's fancy dress party.
Clarence House issued a statement in response to a photograph published on the front page of the Sun newspaper under the headline, "Harry the Nazi".

Quote:
It read: "Prince Harry has apologised for any offence or embarrassment he has caused. He realises it was a poor choice of costume."

But there have been calls for the prince to make his own public apology.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4170083.stm

The result of hundreds of years of selective breeding (Prince Harry).
http://www.cartoonstock.com/director...form_gifts.asp
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Should TeaBaggers be tried in military courts?