or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Interest in Amazon Kindle wanes following Apple iPad unveiling

Interest in Amazon Kindle wanes following Apple iPad unveiling

post #1 of 94
While most who currently own an e-reader have a Kindle from Amazon, a new survey found that a majority of consumers who intend to buy an e-reader in the near future will opt instead for the Apple iPad.

ChangeWave recently conducted a survey of 3,171 consumers the week after Apple announced the iPad, and the results suggest that the forthcoming device is poised to make a huge splash in the e-reader market.

"In particular, while a handful of e-Reader manufacturers -- most prominently Amazon -- clearly have a major head start," ChangeWave said, "the survey findings show the iPad is poised to profoundly shake up this market."

Among those who plan to purchase an e-reader in the next 90 days, 40 percent said they will buy the Apple iPad. That's well ahead of the 28 percent who will opt for an Amazon Kindle, 6 percent for the Barnes & Noble Nook and 1 percent for a Sony Reader.

That would be a major change for the Kindle, which is currently the far-and-away market leader. The ChangeWave survey found that 68 percent of respondents who already own an e-reader have the Kindle, while just 10 percent have a Sony Reader.

"While the iPad launch is likely to strengthen overall e-Reader demand, the survey suggests Amazon and its competitors could well find themselves relegated to playing catch-up within just a few quarters if they don't preemptively move quickly to upgrade their own e-Reader products," the analysis firm surmised.

In addition, among those who already own an e-reader, 27 percent said they would have bought an iPad if it were available at the time. Most -- 45 percent -- said they are content with their purchase, while 30 percent said they are unsure.

A portion of the same survey was revealed last month by RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky. Those findings showed that 13 percent of respondents are likely to purchase Apple's forthcoming iPad, which is a number larger than the 9 percent who planned to buy an iPhone before its launch in 2007.

One of the strongest assets for the iPad is its $499 starting price. While 28 percent of respondents in 2007 said the iPhone was too expensive, only 8 percent in 2010 said they would not buy the iPad based on its price. In addition, while 19 percent said they are interested in the $499, 16GB model, another 19 percent said they would opt for the high-end, $829, 64GB model with 3G.

Working against the iPad, in the eyes of respondents: lack of a camera, no support for Adobe Flash, and no multitasking. Most consumers also said they will use the iPad for a variety of functions, suggesting it will serve more as a netbook than an e-reader.

The study also found the iPad will also have an effect on sales of other Mac products: 25 percent of respondents said they will delay planned purchases of one or more Apple products due to the iPad. MacBook purchases will be delayed by 9 percent of respondents, while 10 percent were prospective iPhone buyers that will now postpone their purchase.

Apple on Friday announced that the Wi-Fi-only iPad will be available for purchase in the U.S. on April 3, and the company will begin taking reorders on March 12. The 3G-capable model is expected to arrive stateside at the end of April, and overseas markets will receive both the Wi-Fi and 3G models at the end of the month as well.
post #2 of 94
This was expected.
post #3 of 94
[CENTER]Consumers are often waiting for the 'Next Big Thing', and at this moment that's the Apple iPad, and very soon this will take the spotlight...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/m...s-and-de/?s=t5

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #4 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This was expected.

Exactly. The headline might as well have been: "People prefer $10 bill to $5 bill when offered the choice."

I wonder about the ones still buying the Kindle, though.....
post #5 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Consumers are often waiting for the 'Next Big Thing', and at this moment that's the Apple iPad, and very soon this will take the spotlight...

[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]Yeah, got it the first time you posted the same thing about the Courier in a different thread.[/RIGHT]
post #6 of 94
Quote:

[/CENTER]

Vapour.

MS barely managed to get an interface onto the Windows Phone 7. Not only is that yawnfest . . . a yawnfest, but it took them three years and several abortive attempts with WinMo 6 to finally demo it. They aren't capable of something like this. But they *are* quite capable of nice CGI concept mockups.
post #7 of 94
Quote:

[/CENTER]

to show the second rendering of the vaporware mockup of the courier...they changed the outside design to look like the ipad bezel and case...LOL

http://theappleblog.com/2010/01/19/b...rware-tablets/ was the original one they brought at the end of 2009..

jeez, look how much it changed after the iPAD DEMO, repeat DEMO..no 3D mockups..which change with each iteration...

poor guys over there are justing oozing and can't wait til MSFT releases the specs....well keep waiting...all you are going to get are more mockups suckas.....

prepare to get more emotional DaHarder....
post #8 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

[RIGHT]Yeah, got it the first time you posted the same thing about the Courier in a different thread.[/RIGHT]

[CENTER]No...

The post wasn't, "the same thing" i.e. different topic, different wording.

Nice Try

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #9 of 94
Used Kindles on eBay in April: $175
Used Kindles on eBay in May: $150
Used Kindles on eBay in July: $125
Used Kindles on eBay in October: $100
Used Kindles on eBay in January: $50 or Best Offer
post #10 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Used Kindles on eBay in April: $175
Used Kindles on eBay in May: $150
Used Kindles on eBay in July: $125
Used Kindles on eBay in October: $100
Used Kindles on eBay in January: $50 or Best Offer

[CENTER]The real question is: Which model(s) at those price points?[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #11 of 94
Quote:

Exactly. The headline might as well have been: "People prefer $10 bill to $5 bill when offered the choice."

Until the iPad is actually released and readers have it in their hands I will reserve judgement. I agree that those on the fence should wait and see but for many readers the backlit screen is a concern for reading for long periods of time and eye strain issues. Also, the additional features that the iPad offers may be good for folks who are looking for a multifunction device but there a quite a number of people who don't want all of those features popping up at them while they are reading.

I do firmly believe that the iPad has a major role to play in the academic world with textbooks and interactive options within those books.
post #12 of 94
I sold two used Sony Readers (PRS-505) on eBay in late January for $250 each. I paid $299 each more than a year ago. Apparently I got in just ahead of the Kindle glut!
post #13 of 94
The survey talks specifically about hardware, not services. So, it does seem to be expected. They've had the iPhone Kindle App on the App Store for a while now. I use to have a Kindle, but I sold it and use the Kindle App now. Presumably (unless Apple outright bans the app), people will still be able to use that Kindle App on the iPad as well. Recently Amazon added Kindle support for the Blackberry and the PC. And Amazon already announced future Kindle support for the Mac. And I'm sure Android will get a Kindle App eventually, as well as other devices. As Amazon increases their service to more platforms, it isn't too surprising that people would become less and less interested in the Kindle hardware device itself.
post #14 of 94
Quote:

I find a lot of people simply and genuinely love the feeling of having an actual book in their hands and the Kindle's e-ink is the closest electronic thing to this.

Providing Amazon don't wig out and bin it out of sheer panic this important differentiator could provide a future for the Kindle. I hope they keep a cool head and stick with it.

I use my iPod Touch mostly for reading text I have saved off the internet using Stanza ( not a big fiction reader ). If I have to read on an electronic device I prefer it just as text like in Text Edit, not as genuine imitation mock-book page backgrounds which I found a bit nauseating and smart-arsed on the iPad demo.

( But make no mistake, I want one. If I get one I'll read using Stanza or in a nicer, kinder world, Text Edit, so I can edit and highlight and transfer that back to my original document on the computer. )
post #15 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLu View Post

The survey talks specifically about hardware, not services. So, it does seem to be expected. They've had the iPhone Kindle App on the App Store for a while now. I use to have a Kindle, but I sold it and use the Kindle App now. Presumably (unless Apple outright bans the app), people will still be able to use that Kindle App on the iPad as well. Recently Amazon added Kindle support for the Blackberry and the PC. And Amazon already announced future Kindle support for the Mac. And I'm sure Android will get a Kindle App eventually, as well as other devices. As Amazon increases their service to more platforms, it isn't too surprising that people would become less and less interested in the Kindle hardware device itself.

The existing Kindle app should work on the iPad. However, Amazon will probably need to update it for the iPads larger display. It is interesting to see if Amazon will offer its Kindle app for the iPad or not and if Apple will keep or remove the app based on "Duplicate Function" reasoning.
post #16 of 94
Quote:

The real question is: Which model(s) at those price points?

Average price of all models offered.
post #17 of 94
Brilliant observation, Inspector Clouseau! \
post #18 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

to show the second rendering of the vaporware mockup of the courier...they changed the outside design to look like the ipad bezel and case...LOL

http://theappleblog.com/2010/01/19/b...rware-tablets/ was the original one they brought at the end of 2009..

jeez, look how much it changed after the iPAD DEMO, repeat DEMO..no 3D mockups..which change with each iteration...

poor guys over there are justing oozing and can't wait til MSFT releases the specs....well keep waiting...all you are going to get are more mockups suckas.....

Are you surprise?!
post #19 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

... but there a quite a number of people who don't want all of those features popping up at them while they are reading.....

Obviously you're not a Mac user. It's not, generally, Apple's style to make things 'pop out' at you. You can rest assured on that.
post #20 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

[CENTER]Only time will tell, but...

Even showing these 'conceptual renderings' might be enough to encourage consumers to sit back and wait to see what's on the horizon, and which device best suits their needs.

Which is essentially what's happening with this whole Kindle/iPad situation.[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #21 of 94
Kindle is yesterdays news...
post #22 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"While the iPad launch is likely to strengthen overall e-Reader demand, the survey suggests Amazon and its competitors could well find themselves relegated to playing catch-up within just a few quarters if they don't preemptively move quickly to upgrade their own e-Reader products," the analysis firm surmised.

I wonder what would they upgrade their products to, that would prevent them from falling behind?
post #23 of 94
Quote:

[/CENTER]

I'll buy one if Microsoft releases it.
Until then iPad for me

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #24 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I'll buy one if Microsoft releases it.
Until then iPad for me

[CENTER]Same here, but I'm pretty certain I'll be enjoying both by year's end.

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #25 of 94
Quote:

Even showing these 'conceptual renderings' might be enough to encourage consumers to sit back and wait to see what's on the horizon, and which device best suits their needs.

Which is essentially what's happening with this whole Kindle/iPad situation.[/CENTER]

How do you figure? In one statement you capture the essence of the purpose of vaporware and then compare that to the iPad???

The iPad is not vaporware. You will see them in people's hands after April 3rd.

Ballmer held up something else at CES that was a pretty lame device. Why didn't he hold up the Courier if it's not vaporware?
post #26 of 94
To be fair, there was never really much interest in the Kindle to begin with.
post #27 of 94
Quote:

Obviously you're not a Mac user. It's not, generally, Apple's style to make things 'pop out' at you. You can rest assured on that.

So, notifications won't show if you're reading?

And now about the topic, iPad and e-ink readers are very different things and with very different targets. If I want mostly read I will buy an e-ink ereader, if I need something more I will buy an iPad.

I won't trade a e-ink reader for a tablet if I want an experience as close as posible to an actual book

P.S. A think that amazes me, is how easy almost everyone in this thread bashes anything that is not Apple.
post #28 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

To be fair, there was never really much interest in the Kindle to begin with.

[CENTER]Really?

http://www.crn.com/retail/221901406;...PSKH4ATMY32JVN

[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #29 of 94
Quote:

[CENTER]Really?

[/CENTER]

Maybe if you read the article you would have noticed that they gave no numbers whatsoever:

"Amazon (NSDQ:AMZN).com Inc.'s Kindle has already broke its own monthly sales record for November" "Amazon declined to release Kindle unit sales figures"
post #30 of 94
Quote:

[CENTER]Really?

[/CENTER]

yeah. honestly that's not really saying much at all.
The best selling product on Amazon.com doesn't mean anything.

Most products have more than one SKU, a simple headphone probably have 5 different SKUs for different colors. iPods have like 20 SKUs for virtually the same item, because of size and color.

For Kindle it's only two SKUs, one big and one small. It's not hard to become the best selling item on Amazon, considering they are the sole outlet for that item.
post #31 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

So, notifications won't show if you're reading?

Not if you turn it off, as the iPhone lets you do (and I assume the iPad will). Or, am I missing something?
post #32 of 94
Quote:

Not if you turn it off, as the iPhone lets you do (and I assume the iPad will). Or, am I missing something?

But this a concious action, you have to enable or disable notifications like on the iPhone. If you have notifications enabled they will pop up. It's not bad, is how they work.
post #33 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

yeah. honestly that's not really saying much at all.
The best selling product on Amazon.com doesn't mean anything.

Most products have more than one SKU, a simple headphone probably have 5 different SKUs for different colors. iPods have like 20 SKUs for virtually the same item, because of size and color.

For Kindle it's only two SKUs, one big and one small. It's not hard to become the best selling item on Amazon, considering they are the sole outlet for that item.

Originally Posted by ihxo

[CENTER]"To be fair, there was never really much interest in the Kindle to begin with."

The Key Word being 'Interest', which obviously there has been.

'Straw Man' Much?[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #34 of 94
I have a Kindle DX. I love it. Love the convenience, love the text, love the feel of the thing. I went from reading 1-2 books a year, to same number per month. In fact I just read a 5 book series over the last 2 weeks (The Lost Fleet series for those into sci-fi and very cool space battles). Part of the appeal for the Kindle is the ability to read on the Kindle, My PC, and the iPhone. I can read for an hour easy with the iPhone with no noticeable eyestrain. I attribute this to 2 things. 1) High resolution screen close to my face 2) My text is black and the 'paper' color is a tan. I've tried to read books with the PC Kindle application (using Parallels), and I can't do that for more then 10 minutes before my eyes start wigging out.

Even with my love for the Kindle, I plan on getting the iPad the minute it comes out. I've been screaming for a device like my iPhone but with a bigger screen. The iPad is that and more. I will try reading but plan to keep my Kindle for now. I can't see bringing the iPad to the beach or out in the sun like I do with the Kindle.

What I do like about the iPad as a reader are its options. Amazon, Stanza and the rest would be wise to create buffed up iPad versions of their iPhone apps. The more places you can read content, the more likely I'm to purchase a book from them.
-Toyin
-Toyin
post #35 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihxo

[CENTER]"To be fair, there was never really much interest in the Kindle to begin with."

The Key Word being 'Interest', which obviously there has been.

'Straw Man' Much?[/CENTER]

well if you put it that way.

There are people interested in golf. There are people interested in skiing. There are people interested in chess. There are even people interested in 2girls1cup, so of course there are people interested in Kindle.

There is interest for virtually everything.
post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

No one needs a Kindle or an iPad for that matter if all they want to do is read ebooks. You can get the Kindle software free for any Windows system and soon for any Mac system.

Amazon doesn't appear to really care if you buy the hardware they simply want the content business.

"No one needs a Kindle or an iPad for that matter if all they want to do is read ebooks" at home
post #37 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

But this a concious action, you have to enable or disable notifications like on the iPhone. If you have notifications enabled they will pop up. It's not bad, is how they work.

Oh, give me a break. If it bothers you turn it off. If it doesn't leave it on. What's the big deal!?
post #38 of 94
I almost feel like buying a Kindle out of sympathy...
post #39 of 94
Quote:

that the first courier version that had the "book" cover on it has already been version one...so this is concept 2. Car companies at least spend the actually manufacturing cost on a concept, regardless if it goes to production.

microsoft can certainly afford to build a device...though showing renderings is a wholly cheaper endeavor, but it does not convince anyone else they have any plans of building one other than reworking their copied apple canon. It looks even more look like an ipad but with an extra screen and stylus...which is necessary because you will not two hand type on that thing...which goes to show you that they are really fumbling again. With the ipad you will be able to see why apple really put the time in how people are going to use their device, they probably built dozens, and carried them around for days, testing ergonomic and how practical the design had to be, where it would be used.

Microsoft's little screen renderings are worthless...they exist only in the imaginary world of 0's and 1's. How do you test such a thing that is just an abstraction?
post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Buy the iPad out of sympathy, Apple cares far more about selling hardware then software. If Amazon was that worried about hardware they wouldn't allow the Kindle software to be downloaded for free.

The members of this forum seem to be the only ones in the world the can't grasp that fact.

Amazon has released Kindle software for Windows, iPhone/Touch and soon OSX. Clearly they aren't worried or concerned about hardware sales.

and you seem not to grasp that ipad wont need anyone's sympathy. If you saw the potential that penguin books sees in interactive books, you would realize the kindle won't be around for long and their drop in price on ebay shows where the interest is....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Interest in Amazon Kindle wanes following Apple iPad unveiling