or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

post #1 of 331
Thread Starter 
Steve Jobs appears to have fired off a tersely worded email reply to a user in Sweden who asked whether the WiFi-only iPad could be tethered to the iPhone: "No."

Jezper Söderlund of the Swedish website Slashat.se reports that he sent Apple's chief executive an email identifying himself as an Apple customer before adding, "I'm also awaiting the release of the iPad. However, I have one question: Will the wifi-only version somehow support tethering thru my iPhone?"

The full email headers Söderlund forwarded to AppleInsider appear to indicate that Jobs sent his one word reply at 8:30 AM from his iPhone.

Whether one can tether

Apple currently supports Bluetooth and USB (but not WiFi) tethering to share an iPhone's 3G mobile signal with another computer in iPhone 3.x software. However, enabling the feature requires approval from the carrier.

AT&T does not allow iPhone tethering in the US, nor do some other iPhone carriers in other regions. Well over a year ago in late 2008, AT&T executive Ralph De La Vega said that iPhone tethering was coming "soon."

Apple introduced the technical capacity to tether with the iPhone 3.0 firmware in mid 2009, but AT&T failed to deliver any progress in approving an iPhone tethering plan for its subscribers throughout 2009, and has yet to even provide an update on when that will happen.

Tethering the iPad to an iPhone

In order to use iPhone tethering from a Mac or PC, the computer must be able to connect to the iPhone via USB or Bluetooth, and must support a network connection over that interface.

While the iPad includes Bluetooth hardware, it is not yet known if it will support a network uplink connection over Bluetooth (known as a "Wireless iAP"). The iPhone OS does not currently enable this as a feature so it is doubtful the iPad will, particularly given Jobs flat out "no" answer to tethering. Bluetooth support in iPhone OS devices is also limited in many other respects.

Being able to access an iAP within the iPhone OS (a "reverse tether") would allow iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad users to connect to and share an iPhone or computer's Internet access via Bluetooth, rather than only over a mobile EDGE/3G network or over WiFi hotspot. That's not currently possible.

The iPhone OS also offers no support for "reverse tethering" over USB, shutting down the other avenue for connecting an iPad to an iPhone with tethering enabled. The iPhone OS also does not support acting as a gateway to share its mobile Internet access over WiFi to other computers, even though iPhone OS devices can all access any WiFi hotspot.

Apple has made no comments about the iPad's ability to tether its 3G access (allowing a computer to share the iPad's mobile access data plan), likely because it is not intended to do so. The data plan on the iPad is priced so much lower than most general purpose 3G dongle plans that it appears clear that AT&T does not expect users to be sharing it for general use from other computers.
post #2 of 331
This was not unexpected, but it is disappointing...
My last hope would be special iPad data pricing for iPhone customers already paying $30 a month for unlimited 3G data--it's not like I would be using both at the same time very often. Still, very doubtful.
Oh well...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #3 of 331
Steve Jobs FAIL!

sorry, was that "tersely worded"? ;-)
post #4 of 331
How is a one-word reply without an exclamation point "tersely worded"?
post #5 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

This was not unexpected, but it is disappointing...
My last hope would be special iPad data pricing for iPhone customers already paying $30 a month for unlimited 3G data--it's not like I would be using both at the same time very often. Still, very doubtful.
Oh well...

It was expected. Verizon charge additional $40 to turn the Pre Plus into a Wifi hotspot and $30 to tether most smartphone (5GB limit in all cases). AT&T offers are similar. Therefore, the iPad data plans seems a good deal. However, it sucks that everyone should suffer because few carriers don't want iPhone users to tether.
post #6 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrain View Post

How is a one-word reply without an exclamation point "tersely worded"?

terse |tərs|
adjective ( terser , tersest )
sparing in the use of words; abrupt
post #7 of 331
So, if I got a data plan with my iPhone I can't share it with my (non-3G) iPad... splendid!! I'm sure Rogers, Bell and Telus up here in the Great White North are laughing their evil laughs in unison right about now.
post #8 of 331
For those areas where tethering is possible, is it possible to attach the USB cable that comes from the iPhone to a usb wifi device that the iPad or any other wifi enabled device could then connect to?
post #9 of 331
This blows for you iphone users, especially if you're willing to pay extra for tethering.

With my Sprint TP2, all it takes is few registry hacks and Sprint can't track my tethering. Probably one of the main reasons I'm still with them. 1.5 - 2mbps dl speed, no 5gb cap. Not to brag or anything, just saying, every device has it's own perks. Too bad a company can't just wrap everything great about everything into one phone.
post #10 of 331
I'm getting the WiFi+3G, this doesn't affect me.
If you want 3G get the WiFi+3G iPad, it is really simple.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #11 of 331
Get the 3G model. Done.
post #12 of 331
What about jailbreaking the iPhone to create a local wifi hotspot for your iPad? I haven't jailbroken mine, but I'd do it just for this.
post #13 of 331
The 3g model requires a monthly plan. I don't understand why Jobs would care if you pay 30 a month for independent 3g on the ipad vs 30 extra a month on the phone bill...

ohtwell
post #14 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The 3g model requires a monthly plan. I don't understand why Jobs would care if you pay 30 a month for independent 3g on the ipad vs 30 extra a month on the phone bill...

ohtwell

You've just answered your own question. There is no difference between $30 on separate plan or $30 tethering. However, tethering will drain both devices battery at the same time and the current iPad data plan requires no contract. So a separate plan is better choice if you are welling to pay. Most people who want tethering wants it because their carrier don't charge for it.
The 3G model does not require a contract. It is a month by month plan.
post #15 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Get the 3G model. Done.

Well put.

Why does everybody have to whine about it and am I considered a Kool-ade drinker if I say that?


Umm, where is Sweeden, anyway?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #16 of 331
Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrain View Post

How is a one-word reply without an exclamation point "tersely worded"?

Answer:

Terse: Brief, concise, to the point; Abruptly or brusquely short
post #17 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Well put.

Why does everybody have to whine about it and am I considered a Kool-ade drinker if I say that?


Umm, where is Sweeden, anyway?

I'd say your drinking the kool-aid, why would I want to pay an extra 100 PLUS an extra 30 a month when one could utilize an unlimited data plan one pays for?

Lol this just fuels the jailbreak fire to be honest, and is one of the reasons it exists currently (to do what Apple won't let you)
post #18 of 331
Steve Jobs also likes to sue companies who threaten his stranglehold on a market.

And he also just recently seems to enjoy releasing useless can-do-lots-of-things but really isn't-good-at-anything products for a PREMIUM price (i.e. the iPad). Unfortunately his disciples will buy it.

Oh yeah, and the other thing he really likes is the smell of his own farts.
post #19 of 331
Steve Jobs to loyal customers:
post #20 of 331
This is out of practicality, not anger. Was hoping for iPad tethering, not to be. For that matter iPhone tethering, not to be.

So...

iPhone 3g & 3gs Owner - Love it, motivation for having it: Laptop replacement capable of managing my data however small, entertaining to use.

I am buying the iPad WiFi + 3g. I have been metering my data for the past month while going flat out normal on 3g. Result 250-275MB of data used. Yearly average 255MB a month. Buying the $14.99 250MB data plan for it. Curbing my 3g data use a tad, start using WiFi, I never use it now (battery life). Stop carrying my MacBook everywhere. (Love it too) Will use Skype occasionally but not fooling myself that it is a phone.

Drumroll...

Dump my iPhone. Yes dump it, unless I can remove my $30 data plan. (not gonna happen) So dumping it, turning it into an iPod Touch so to speak and give it to my kids. Lucky kids. Yes I love it and will miss it. I simply cannot afford two data plans. The iPad will be a more suitable laptop replacement for me than the iPhone, my original reason for entry into the smartphone market. Went through Handspring, Palm, then iPhone.

Next. Go to MetroPCS get a $40 Unlimited Talk Text and Internet. Total $40 tax etc incl. Don't know if they suck but it's $40. Only need a phone, who cares how bad it is? Not me.

I will Tweet my experience through the process, follow me on Twitter @erik9999. Again I'm not bad mouthing Apple, they are one of my favorite companies. Since 1991 I have used their products and will continue to. My Message Pad 2100 still works as well as my Powerbook 100.

If I'm wrong, I will turn my iPhone 3gs back on, dump the data plan on the iPad, put it on the kitchen counter and be perfectly happy.
post #21 of 331
[CENTER]Boooooo!

(That Is All)[/CENTER]
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #22 of 331
Someone should make an app for network sharing via Wi-Fi for the iPhone.
"Share my 3G connection with devices using Wi-Fi"
post #23 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I'd say your drinking the kool-aid, why would I want to pay an extra 100 PLUS an extra 30 a month when one could utilize an unlimited data plan one pays for?

Lol this just fuels the jailbreak fire to be honest, and is one of the reasons it exists currently (to do what Apple won't let you)

I have to agree with iFail's point on this one, why would I want to spent $100 on iPhone and then additional $30 on iPad. Apple/AT&T need to prove some kind of discount or combined plan offer for existing iPhone users.

I can see a number of questions being asked about AT&T/Apple's loyal to customers in trying to earn a profit by not providing some discount.
post #24 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Someone should make an app for network sharing via Wi-Fi for the iPhone.
"Share my 3G connection with devices using Wi-Fi"

It exists but only via jailbreak since Apple won't approve it for the App Store (obvious reasons, hurts Apples 3G ipad sales and it won't pad carriers pockets with even more money)
post #25 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I have to agree with iFail's point on this one, why would I want to spent $100 on iPhone and then additional $30 on iPad. Apple/AT&T need to prove some kind of discount or combined plan offer for existing iPhone users.

I can see a number of questions being asked about AT&T/Apple's loyal to customers in trying to earn a profit by not providing some discount.

This was expected but unless you're made of money or really stupid , you're going to jailbreak one device and use its data plan to share with other. No way im paying for the same bandwidth twice.
post #26 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Steve Jobs FAIL!

Clearly, you FAILED to read.

The consumer has to contact the Carrier, not Steve Jobs. Apple doesn't own the pipes.
post #27 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

This was expected but unless you're made of money or really stupid ,

Or honest or able to see other peoples point of view or or simply why the world doesn't just flat out owe you everything you want. Unless you're a grown up, basically.

Personally, what I'd really like for the iPad 3G is to be able to buy data bundles without time limits. So I could buy 10, 20, 50, 100GB, whatever, it goes on my account and I can use it over any time period. It there's a time limit, those who use little data are subsidising those who use a lot.
post #28 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I'd say your drinking the kool-aid, why would I want to pay an extra 100 PLUS an extra 30 a month when one could utilize an unlimited data plan one pays for?

Lol this just fuels the jailbreak fire to be honest, and is one of the reasons it exists currently (to do what Apple won't let you)

There are 3-5 teethering apps you can get once jb and I forsee the hackers having a field day with the ipad. At the same time though, the ipad isn't going to run standard osx programs so if you wanted to what, check you email, surf the web, most do that with their iPhone anyway.

It's not like people will be dl torrents. But I could see a day in the park surfing with a jb iPhone as the useage would be about the same anyway. Once the speeds get into the 1-3MB per second, then that's a whole different topic and we are quite a long way from those speeds. People will start cancelling their cable Internet butwe have to get their first.

I just don't see more usage meaning d/l, with an ipad vs an iPhone unless it was running the lite osx.
post #29 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The 3G model does not require a contract. It is a month by month plan.

Still, you have to decide to pay a full month of usage ($30 unlimited usage) even if you just plan to use it a single day. Even if you just like to update the news on the way to work or browse the web on the train, you're down at least $15 every month on top of your phone contract, which genuinely sucks because it's the same OS so likely the same bandwidth usage and you aren't going to be using the phone connection at the same time.

One of the iphone's biggest advantages is the always-on network connection and would have been for the iPad too. Browsing is the biggest feature for people, which is why Google made an OS based on a browser.

It just encourages a decision to choose either the iPhone or an iPad like one poster above has already done. I think most will opt for the iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer

The consumer has to contact the Carrier, not Steve Jobs. Apple doesn't own the pipes.

That makes sense for laptop tethering but the iPad is a big iPhone or iPod without 3G. While browsing, it will be exactly like running an iphone on the same network so there's just no need for two charges if you own both devices.
post #30 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

It exists but only via jailbreak since Apple won't approve it for the App Store (obvious reasons, hurts Apples 3G ipad sales and it won't pad carriers pockets with even more money)

Apple rejected it for the iPhone years ago, long before the iPad was a twinkle in anyone's eye, so it's nothing to do with hurting 3G iPad sales but everything to do with their agreement with the carriers. Not unreasonably so in my opinion.

Clearly you're going to use a lot more data from a computer than a mobile phone with a tiny screen. Expecting to get tethering for free is like going to an eat all you want buffet then filling up your bags with food to take home with you, and seeing nothing wrong with that because you've paid to eat "as much you want".
post #31 of 331
This is something the wife and I are thinking of. Dump the iPhone get an ipad then get a decent Teo phone plan with net for $50.00 or so. Heck I could probably unlock the iPhone and still use as a hot spot on a different network.

The shame is $30.00 you are forcedto get when there are so many plans out there that are better. Then get the ipad 3G. Dumping the iPhone would basically pay for the ipad in just under 2 years and the phone bill would be so much cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik9999 View Post

This is out of practicality, not anger. Was hoping for iPad tethering, not to be. For that matter iPhone tethering, not to be.

So...

iPhone 3g & 3gs Owner - Love it, motivation for having it: Laptop replacement capable of managing my data however small, entertaining to use.

I am buying the iPad WiFi + 3g. I have been metering my data for the past month while going flat out normal on 3g. Result 250-275MB of data used. Yearly average 255MB a month. Buying the $14.99 250MB data plan for it. Curbing my 3g data use a tad, start using WiFi, I never use it now (battery life). Stop carrying my MacBook everywhere. (Love it too) Will use Skype occasionally but not fooling myself that it is a phone.

Drumroll...

Dump my iPhone. Yes dump it, unless I can remove my $30 data plan. (not gonna happen) So dumping it, turning it into an iPod Touch so to speak and give it to my kids. Lucky kids. Yes I love it and will miss it. I simply cannot afford two data plans. The iPad will be a more suitable laptop replacement for me than the iPhone, my original reason for entry into the smartphone market. Went through Handspring, Palm, then iPhone.

Next. Go to MetroPCS get a $40 Unlimited Talk Text and Internet. Total $40 tax etc incl. Don't know if they suck but it's $40. Only need a phone, who cares how bad it is? Not me.

I will Tweet my experience through the process, follow me on Twitter @erik9999. Again I'm not bad mouthing Apple, they are one of my favorite companies. Since 1991 I have used their products and will continue to. My Message Pad 2100 still works as well as my Powerbook 100.

If I'm wrong, I will turn my iPhone 3gs back on, dump the data plan on the iPad, put it on the kitchen counter and be perfectly happy.
post #32 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It was expected. Verizon charge additional $40 to turn the Pre Plus into a Wifi hotspot and $30 to tether most smartphone (5GB limit in all cases).

I'm on Vodafone in Australia. I get 500MB of data with my plan, have to spend more if I want more data. I tether legally at no extra charge. My father is on Telstra and for his data component he pays $29/mth for 300MB, and they allow him to tether.

When either of us tether for an extended period, we risk going over our data allowance. My father does it more often than I do. The Telco makes more money from us. Our data usage is about ... 5 times higher if we're tethering than on the iPhone generally.

I see no reason that Vodafone or Telstra would care how their 500MB/300MB is being used. In fact... they clearly don't as they already allow tethering.

I DO see why AT&T wouldn't want to enable unlimited data with tethering!!!
It's a great pity that the iPad can't tether, just like my MBP, to an iPhone or Nokia that has an appropriate data plan.

edit: You just HAVE to seriously consider jailbreaking to turn the iPhone into a wifi hotspot, don't you? The iPad doesn't need to be jailbroken, just the iPhone.
Perhaps verizon should sell a tiny little 3G phone with nothing special except a built-in wifi hotspot, marketed as the ideal companion to a wifi-only iPad
post #33 of 331
booooooooo!!

I'm happily using my jailbroken iPhone with MyWi to tether my 3G connection through Wifi.

My contract here in Hong Kong costs only ~US$57/month over 24-months to get an unlocked iPhone 3GS 16GB for free, unlimited 3G data & tethering, unlimited text, etc.
post #34 of 331
I've got a GB on my Vodafone iPhone plan, if I get an iPad it will be the 3G model and I'l cut down the SIM I have in my prepaid USB modem and shove it in the iPad.

$A100 for 6GB over 6 months should be plenty.

In Australia it is very hard to find open WiFi hotspots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm on Vodafone in Australia. I get 500MB of data with my plan, have to spend more if I want more data. I tether legally at no extra charge. My father is on Telstra and for his data component he pays $29/mth for 300MB, and they allow him to tether.

When either of us tether for an extended period, we risk going over our data allowance. My father does it more often than I do. The Telco makes more money from us. Our data usage is about ... 5 times higher if we're tethering than on the iPhone generally.

I see no reason that Vodafone or Telstra would care how their 500MB/300MB is being used. In fact... they clearly don't as they already allow tethering.

I DO see why AT&T wouldn't want to enable unlimited data with tethering!!!
It's a great pity that the iPad can't tether, just like my MBP, to an iPhone or Nokia that has an appropriate data plan.

edit: You just HAVE to seriously consider jailbreaking to turn the iPhone into a wifi hotspot, don't you? The iPad doesn't need to be jailbroken, just the iPhone.
Perhaps verizon should sell a tiny little 3G phone with nothing special except a built-in wifi hotspot, marketed as the ideal companion to a wifi-only iPad
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #35 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

terse |tərs|
adjective ( terser , tersest )
sparing in the use of words; abrupt

I think the problem was not with "terse" but with "worded." How can a one word reply be worded (plural)?

I believe calling it "a terse reply" or "an extremely terse reply" would have satisfied the OP.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #36 of 331
It would be cool it there was a native app like this:
Teether to the iPad via Bluetooth and it is bound to your phone bill. You then choose if you want the $15 or $30 plan. Then all you would do is start the app, 3g connect to iPad, and then just put your iPhone away. So you have 3 choices: wifi iPad, wifi+3g, or use iPhone 3g app.
post #37 of 331
For some reason I find it hilarious that Steve Jobs actually answers email from the public, however short and terse his replies may be.

From my own experience using tethering (jailbroke) on my iphone I do not think that it would be the optimal way to provide internet to the pad. When using the iphone in tethered mode it is the most efficient way to drain the phone battery and turns the phone into a toasty nut warmer. Perhaps the tethering on approved carriers works better? This is one time were I think it might be best to just buy the the pad with the 3g built in and use the pay as you go wireless. I do not want to pay for two data plans but I do think Att-Apple have come up with a very reasonable pricing plan. Hard to believe I put Att and Apple in the same sentence with reasonably priced.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #38 of 331
I waited over a year for the iPhone -- for AT&T and Apple to have a tethering plan. I finally punted, gave up on the iPhone and bought a prepaid phone (AT&T) and 3G card.

But the 3G card is prepaid - Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go - and it now offers the same 5 GB/month price as those big carriers and it is ... prepaid. And if you go over? It just runs out, and you can buy more time/MBs if you want it. And there are lower-MB plans (and time limits, yes - we are still in the US, after all).

I don't work for VM but I can tell you, esp with change this week from 1 GB/30d to 5 GB/30d limits - this works for me. A few months of the year (storm chasing season) I'll want big data plans and the rest I won't, so I save $$$. It is only in cities and on interstates (AT&T or Verizon would be much better coverage, but much more expensive and ... 2yr agreement!) but it works, no problems on a mac. I've done iChat over it.

So do you REALLY wanna keep waiting on AT&T to allow tethering? Is "soon" in this decade??? My wife has an iPhone, loves it, it looks nice but ... no tethering, no purchase for me, especially with these options that are opening up. I know the deals are much better outside of the U.S. but it is improving here. Finally.
post #39 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Steve Jobs to loyal customers:

*******

266 similar posts. Getting boring AH.[/quote]

Please directly don't quote foul language.
post #40 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrain View Post

How is a one-word reply without an exclamation point "tersely worded"?

There was a point in my life that I did.

Then I got children, and when they too became teenagers they also thought the same thing when I answered, "No."

Now that they are adults, "No," is simply the opposite of "Yes." And things are more hospitable.

I gather that the writer of this article hasn't grown up yet.

And as we say in research, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone