or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone - Page 4

post #121 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

This blows for you iphone users, especially if you're willing to pay extra for tethering.

With my Sprint TP2, all it takes is few registry hacks and Sprint can't track my tethering. Probably one of the main reasons I'm still with them. 1.5 - 2mbps dl speed, no 5gb cap. Not to brag or anything, just saying, every device has it's own perks. Too bad a company can't just wrap everything great about everything into one phone.

Oh, they could wrap everything up into one phone, they CHOOSE not to. I have a 3GS iPhone, but once the 3G iPad comes out I will sell the iPhone and use the iPad exclusively. If Skype works on the iPad (it should) I am set. If not, I will get a track phone for those few times I actually use my phone away from a wifi hotspot.
post #122 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

I don't live in US of A and I do not have a contract from your, oh so precious , AT&T. Got it? My data plan right now (still) allows tethering.

Then you're good to go from your carrier, install Netshare or jailbreak or do whatever the hell you want to get your iPhone to tether to other devices.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #123 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Because Apple offers tethering in other countries:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html

RIF...
Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability. Yet somehow that is Apple fault for preventing AT&T from allowing tethering. I bet as soon as AT&T allows a (paid for) tethering option the iPhone will have an update that enables tethering, yet somehow and for some reason Apple is keeping AT&T and a few other carriers from enabling tethering while allowing others. I think you give Apple too much credit.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #124 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

"Fired off a tersely worded email" sounds pretty lame, hows about "Loaded a single armor piercing cartridge of reply into his twelve gauge outbox, pressed the barrel of his mouse against the recipients proxy, then pulled the trigger blowing the mans hopes all over the wall!!! "

We could always try the opposite spin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

My take was that the guy hit a nerve with Steve. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I read that Steve had answered, and that the answer was terse.

How about if the report was worded:

"Last week, head of Apple Steve Jobs was seen with a tear in his eye after extensive unknown discussions. We finally learned the reason when a swedish user emailed Steve Jobs asking if Tethering would be permitted, and received an obviously distraught "no" without any elaboration."
post #125 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

How about if the report was worded:

"Last week, head of Apple Steve Jobs was seen with a tear in his eye after extensive unknown discussions. We finally learned the reason when a swedish user emailed Steve Jobs asking if Tethering would be permitted, and received an obviously distraught "no" without any elaboration."

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #126 of 331
Sweaden?

What does Sweaden have to do with this?




Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

Forgive me but... err, do you not mean of the South African country?
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #127 of 331
Hopefully, the jailbroken iPad will handle this just fine.
post #128 of 331
No big deal and no problem. Nobody has a gun to my head forcing me to use Apple mobile products. I'll just shop elsewhere.
post #129 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Someone should make an app for network sharing via Wi-Fi for the iPhone.
"Share my 3G connection with devices using Wi-Fi"

You may want to check out:

http://www.benm.at/2009/06/13/helpbenmat/

The “iPhone Help Center“, which can be found at help.benm.at, provides the easiest way to enable iPhone Tethering through installing Mobileconfigs directly on your iPhone. No hacking or jailbreaking required!

Does not work anymore! My apologies - I did not check out the solution I had been able to use a short while back. Again I am sorry if I sent anyone off on a wild goose chase.
post #130 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why is there no discussion about tethering your other AT&T phones, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile phones to any and all devices. Or how that too is Apple's fault when the carriers charge you extra it.

I'm happy to discuss that, but my iPhone tethers just fine so it's not an issue. I'd also be happy for the iPad to tether via bluetooth to a Nokia or whatever, just like my MBP can. The iPad seems to not offer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Nokia N86 + JoikuSpot = wifi to fool my iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone into thinking that it is on a wifi connection.

I think that there is a potentially huge market for this kind of setup.

A very basic phone (that works well as a phone) and offers a low-power wifi network for an iPad or similar. This seems an attractive combo for many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfe81 View Post

Of course a cellphone carrier could play nice and allow iphone account holders to register a 3g ipad to the same account...but till we actually see that, I'm not holding my breath for it.

That would be cool. 2 SIMs (one for your phone, one for the iPad), and pay for a single 1GB data plan that is shared by both.

If I'm forced to use 2 different accounts, I'd go prepay just when required, and it'd be on a different network, as I might as well reduce the risk of no coverage. (In fact, Telstra has much better coverage than Voda or Optus which I use for my & my wife's iPhone), includes 850Mhz, and offers $150 for 4GB over 6 months, that might be the way to go.)
post #131 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You may want to check out:

http://www.benm.at/2009/06/13/helpbenmat/

The new iPhone Help Center, which can be found at help.benm.at, provides the easiest way to enable iPhone Tethering through installing Mobileconfigs directly on your iPhone. No hacking or jailbreaking required!

With v3.0 Beta tethering was enabled across the board up until the last couple weeks. The help.benm.at tething profiles have been great to allow the built-in tethering option with a simple profile without having to use those complex jailbreak app solutions.

However, tethering with the latest iPhone v3.1.3 on AT&T is not possible (at least not for me) and there is essentially no way to revert back to an earlier version of iPhone OS, unless you took steps before hand with a jailbroken iPhone to ensure that you could.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #132 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Umm, where is Sweeden, anyway?:

Ooh ooh I know this one! It's next to Noorway, just above Deenmark!
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #133 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As you stated "iPhone", not iPad. not "all iDevices", not "any and all devices". If AT&T offers an option that is a pay for phone 3G device and get all other connected for free plan then you'll be good to go, but that doesn't seem likely. Comcast doesn't give me free internet and cable at my other homes simply because I can only be in one at a time. I have to pay to maintain service to each home.

Solipism, it is commonly accepted that Intenet service is a utility in the same sense that electricity, telephone, gas, water, or Cable TV are also utilities. AT&T, like any of these other utilities, provides you a service that should be device agnostic. There was a time when the Cable TV companies used to charge you an additional fee for each TV you had in your house, even though it didn't cost them any more money to provide service to those TVs. Thankfully, most companies have gotten away from those practices and just charge a standard fee for basic cable (although they can charge you per converter box). How would you feel if the electric company made you sign a contract for a certain amount of kWH per month but stipulated that the electricity they provided was only to be used to run your refrigerator, and if you wanted to hook up a lamp, you would have to sign up an additional contract for using that device?

As others have said countless times: data is data. How you choose to use it should be up to you. This is the basic tenet of net-neutrality. I see no difference in the argument that you should be able to use your data connection for any software service such as video streaming, voip, bittorrent, etc, and being able to choose what hardware device consumes the data that you pay for.

Consequently, if I pay AT&T for 5GB of data, I should be able to use those 5GB in the method of my choosing, be it for the iPhone, as well as my iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro or whatever through tethering.
post #134 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlfranz View Post

Solipism, it is commonly accepted that Intenet service is a utility in the same sense that electricity, telephone, gas, water, or Cable TV are also utilities. AT&T, like any of these other utilities, provides you a service that should be device agnostic. There was a time when the Cable TV companies used to charge you an additional fee for each TV you had in your house, even though it didn't cost them any more money to provide service to those TVs. Thankfully, most companies have gotten away from those practices and just charge a standard fee for basic cable (although they can charge you per converter box). How would you feel if the electric company made you sign a contract for a certain amount of kWH per month but stipulated that the electricity they provided was only to be used to run your refrigerator, and if you wanted to hook up a lamp, you would have to sign up an additional contract for using that device?

As others have said countless times: data is data. How you choose to use it should be up to you. This is the basic tenet of net-neutrality. I see no difference in the argument that you should be able to use your data connection for any software service such as video streaming, voip, bittorrent, etc, and being able to choose what hardware device consumes the data that you pay for.

Consequently, if I pay AT&T for 5GB of data, I should be able to use those 5GB in the method of my choosing, be it for the iPhone, as well as my iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro or whatever through tethering.

That is a horrible argument. So they give you unlimited data usage and you think you are entitled to hook your phone up to any and all devices, make a hub for your neighborhood or school if you wish, using terabytes a month, despite what the contract you signed clearly stipulated all because you see a phone's data network as a mandatory public utility? For frak sakes people!

Apple is not required to recode the iPad OS to connect via Bluetooth for internet access, AT&T isn't required to allow phone tethering to other devices, and we aren't required to buy their products or use their services. Capitalism FTW!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #135 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Its cute that you missed the joke in your rush to indignation. DP was needeling AI for mispelling Sweden, not showing geograpichal ignorance of the South American country. Maybe a winking emoticon would have helped...



Nominated for best unintended irony award!
post #136 of 331
Thank God for newer and smarter phones around the corner. I have tried a few but the underground will have a field day with the ipad. I jb my phone as I wanted to try google voice and Tom Tom but there are so many cool things toubcan do once jb and the lack of teethering is going to produce huge amount of jb iPhones. This is why the didn't use an osx lite. Had they, people would dl torrents, movies and TV shows that most arE FREE TV SHOWS that jibs wants you to buy from iTunes pus the fear appe has with adobe apps.

Exciting times indeed, plus I also have wifi tricker that tricks the iPhone into thinking 3g is wifi I think we are going to see a lot if good slates and phones soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's by far more useful on the iPad than on a Macs e designed to use fast internet, not what passes for 3G in the U.S. Using a Macbook tethered to an iPhone should be a rare occurrence, other wise you have the wrong set of devices.

The iPad and iPhone are very similar in some ways, and very different in all others. Owners of both will find certain things more suited for one, than the other. Regardless, you can only use one of them at a time. Therefor, most people people with common sense see no reason why one data connection cannot be shared. If I pay $30 a mon for unlimited 3G on my iPhone, I have a right to use that connection in an unlimited fashion. I'm not talking about abuse either. I'm talking pure convenience.

Like new smartphones coming to market, the iPhone should have the built in ability to broadcast it's 3G connection as a WiFi hotspot, allowing several local devices to share one connection. This is not a built in feature, but fortunately, one needs only to jailbreak their iPhone, and install MyWi.

Because of this feature, I will be saving $130 + 30 a mon on my iPad purchase, because I refuse to be taken advantage of. I already overpay AT&T for data, by a long way, and cannot come close to using it to its full advantage due to imposed restrictions.
post #137 of 331
[post nixed for excessive profanity & personal attacks]
post #138 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

Forgive me but... err, do you not mean of the South African country?

No,that's the country of Soweto, not Sweden.
post #139 of 331
Classic Jobs. Gotta love it. An all round minimalist, even down to his email responses.
post #140 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Nominated for best unintended irony award!

Sorry. I was trying to show how the use of a winky emoticon could show an attempt at humor. I should have known you would miss it...

Still, it might have helped if I had been clever enough to come up with Noorway!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #141 of 331
Is this your first time on a moderated internet forum?
post #142 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

..

Not MY contract stupid - that was someone ELSE's quote and someone ELSE's contract. And the point was THEY signed up for something unlimited - and then THEY got hit over the head afterwards. ...

The contract ownership is less material than the ownership of the position you took, and seem to still hold, regarding the contractual details. And, wouldn't it be more accurate to state that "THEY" signed up for something they thought, or may have been led verbally to believe, was unlimited? However, the limitations are clearly delineated in the printed contractual terms, which should reasonably disabuse one of being contractually violated. I could imagine, by having stated their requirements prior to purchase, they may feel misled by the salesman and disappointed in themselves that they didn't read the actual terms.

I do think that solip's suggestion has merit if you maintain your same position for future contracts.
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #143 of 331
@ DoctorBenway,

Honestly, you might want to edit your posts. It's one to come onto AI with a bunch of anti-Apple rhetoric, that get's tolerated, but the way you're acting is so far beyond that.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #144 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Thank you AT&T and the rest of the utterly fucked up American GSM operators for shafting the rest of the world that is not as backwards.

No worries for me though.

Nokia N86 + JoikuSpot = wifi to fool my iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone into thinking that it is on a wifi connection.

A big fat finger to Steve Jobs....

ahha !!!

you do live in Finland !!
your accent gave you away !!
>>>
why so angry ??
americans love you !!!


peace on dude

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #145 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

@ DoctorBenway,

Honestly, you might want to edit your posts. It's one to come onto AI with a bunch of anti-Apple rhetoric, that get's tolerated, but the way you're acting is so far beyond that.

Certainly worse than tekstud ever was yet somehow he got banished to the land of misfit profiles because he hit a nerve with you- no?
Is AI run by a bunch of Apple employees and Steve Jobs cultists only? I ask of you , oh high priest of the Ansible who promises to go on vacation yet never does.
post #146 of 331
Quote:

bingo !!
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #147 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Certainly worse than tekstud ever was yet somehow he got banished to the land of misfit profiles because he hit a nerve with you- no?
Is AI run by a bunch of Apple employees and Steve Jobs cultists only? I ask of you , oh high priest of the Ansible who promises to go on vacation yet never does.

Read the rules on forum conduct.
post #148 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlfranz View Post

Solipism, it is commonly accepted that Intenet service is a utility in the same sense that electricity, telephone, gas, water, or Cable TV are also utilities. AT&T, like any of these other utilities, provides you a service that should be device agnostic. There was a time when the Cable TV companies used to charge you an additional fee for each TV you had in your house, even though it didn't cost them any more money to provide service to those TVs. Thankfully, most companies have gotten away from those practices and just charge a standard fee for basic cable (although they can charge you per converter box). How would you feel if the electric company made you sign a contract for a certain amount of kWH per month but stipulated that the electricity they provided was only to be used to run your refrigerator, and if you wanted to hook up a lamp, you would have to sign up an additional contract for using that device?

As others have said countless times: data is data. How you choose to use it should be up to you. This is the basic tenet of net-neutrality. I see no difference in the argument that you should be able to use your data connection for any software service such as video streaming, voip, bittorrent, etc, and being able to choose what hardware device consumes the data that you pay for.

Consequently, if I pay AT&T for 5GB of data, I should be able to use those 5GB in the method of my choosing, be it for the iPhone, as well as my iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro or whatever through tethering.

yes
why not
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #149 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm happy to discuss that, but my iPhone tethers just fine so it's not an issue. I'd also be happy for the iPad to tether via bluetooth to a Nokia or whatever, just like my MBP can. The iPad seems to not offer that.

I think that there is a potentially huge market for this kind of setup.

A very basic phone (that works well as a phone) and offers a low-power wifi network for an iPad or similar. This seems an attractive combo for many people.

That would be cool. 2 SIMs (one for your phone, one for the iPad), and pay for a single 1GB data plan that is shared by both.

If I'm forced to use 2 different accounts, I'd go prepay just when required, and it'd be on a different network, as I might as well reduce the risk of no coverage. (In fact, Telstra has much better coverage than Voda or Optus which I use for my & my wife's iPhone), includes 850Mhz, and offers $150 for 4GB over 6 months, that might be the way to go.)


The thing is. In Europe, well Finland for sure, the operators are not afraid of competition and openly encourage users to use as much data as possible. I have been tethering my iPhone to my MBP daily for the last 6 months and have used about 5 to 6 gives a month. I got a twin card last month that allows me to have the same data access (real unlimited data) simultaneously on both cards all for 9 a month. I run my MBP off of my Nokia while I allow other in my office to piggy-back off of my iPhone. Yup. You guys are getting screwed over. Damn it has to suck being in the States with a data capable phone and being screwed to the wall to use it.
post #150 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is a horrible argument. So they give you unlimited data usage and you think you are entitled to hook your phone up to any and all devices, make a hub for your neighborhood or school if you wish, using terabytes a month, despite what the contract you signed clearly stipulated all because you see a phone's data network as a mandatory public utility? For frak sakes people!

Apple is not required to recode the iPad OS to connect via Bluetooth for internet access, AT&T isn't required to allow phone tethering to other devices, and we aren't required to buy their products or use their services. Capitalism FTW!

i have internet at work
i pay 6o a month
any one of 7 diff devices i use works fine
at times i use 4 at the same time
clients of mine also use my network .
apple base station spreads out 150 ft or so and i use no password

that is the guys valid point , your answer was way over the top dude
i gather the insane doctor has you pissed

anyway mifi is the best way to go


peace dude

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #151 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiCan View Post

Certainly worse than tekstud ever was yet somehow he got banished to the land of misfit profiles because he hit a nerve with you- no?
Is AI run by a bunch of Apple employees and Steve Jobs cultists only? I ask of you , oh high priest of the Ansible who promises to go on vacation yet never does.

1) Stop talking about yourself in the 3rd-person. We all know it's you.

2) You were rarely swearing on the board in succession. I gave him several heads up and suggested he should edit his profanities. We have kids on here and this isn't MR or Digg.

3) Thanks for bringing up my vacation... again. I'm not distress about missing it for a family emergency, so you can keep on mentioning it all you like.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #152 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

ahha !!!

you do live in Finland !!
your accent gave you away !!
>>>
why so angry ??
americans love you !!!


peace on dude

9

Are you challenged some way. Read my tagline.

Did I ever say I do not live in Finland? I work here, I am not FInnish, I am American. Are you really not getting this?

Solipsism explained this to you a while back and you still seem confused.
post #153 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

The thing is. In Europe, well Finland for sure, the operators are not afraid of competition and openly encourage users to use as much data as possible.

With a population of just a shade over 5 mil, it should be no problem.
post #154 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

With a population of just a shade over 5 mil, it should be no problem.

Your point being?

How about network provisioning and proportionality? Their network is built to sustain the population on a proportional basis. Your argument holds no water.

The Finns were smart not to waste a lot of time building cabled networks. There is 3G everywhere, and the coverage is damn good.

They are now building out wifi everywhere as well.

P.S. The population is about 5.2 to 5.3 million with most of that being in the Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa area.
post #155 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Oh so I'm now "anti-apple" troll?

That must explain this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...13#post1583013

...

He obviously knows; 6 posts later, he congratulated your cited post (on that topic) with, "Best post ever!"
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
Blindness is a condition as well as a state of mind.

Reply
post #156 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So they give you unlimited data usage and you think you are entitled to hook your phone up to any and all devices...

I think the problem is that no phone company can afford "limitless" downloads. So "unlimited" has quite a different meaning.

Sometimes it's about the device itself. If it was a phone with email and nothing else, they could offer unlimited and expect 100MB usage. So an unlimited plan might cost $5/mth because they know what the limit will really be. Of course, they'd be safer to call it an "unlimited email" plan, because then people wouldn't get confused.

An iPhone uses much less data than a laptop.

Sometimes it's about the network. Unlimited dialup is very limited. Unlimited GPRS is a lot less than unlimited 3G. That's why the unlimited data plan on the iPhone 3G was $10/mth more than the unlimited data plan on the GSM version of the iPhone.

In the end AT&T protects themselves with a "fair use" policy just in case their calculations are wrong

It's fair that in these scenarios it's not as simple to just tether into an unlimited plan. But in countries where you pay for just 150MB, it's irrelevant.
post #157 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

He obviously knows; 6 posts later, he congratulated your cited post (on that topic) with, "Best post ever!"

Yech - I was trying to fathom the difference between him on that thread and this one and then he trotted out the family emergency which (could easily explain) a pissy mode.

On one hand I can't see how that would make anyone an apologist for ATT and confuse Apple with a phone company and put words in people's mouth, but actually - in some warped way - I could see that.

I'm not going to fan the BS if he's got (legit) personal problems because I'm not going to get into muck pile with someone dealing with external stress because that would be beyond total douche.

Never freaking mind me (seriously)
post #158 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I think the problem is that no phone company can afford "limitless" downloads. So "unlimited" has quite a different meaning.

Sometimes it's about the device itself. If it was a phone with email and nothing else, they could offer unlimited and expect 100MB usage. So an unlimited plan might cost $5/mth because they know what the limit will really be. Of course, they'd be safer to call it an "unlimited email" plan, because then people wouldn't get confused.

An iPhone uses much less data than a laptop.

Sometimes it's about the network. Unlimited dialup is very limited. Unlimited GPRS is a lot less than unlimited 3G. That's why the unlimited data plan on the iPhone 3G was $10/mth more than the unlimited data plan on the GSM version of the iPhone.

In the end AT&T protects themselves with a "fair use" policy just in case their calculations are wrong

It's fair that in these scenarios it's not as simple to just tether into an unlimited plan. But in countries where you pay for just 150MB, it's irrelevant.

I disagree. With proper planning, self-healing IN networks, you can do just about anything. The problem is, the operators have you guys (US based customers) by the short ones. There is just a different mentality in Europe verses the US when it comes to providing service. I go well over any current data plan the US carriers offer on a monthly basis and my provider says nothing. I paid for unlimited and that is what I get. I even have a QoS provision in my contract.

You made some good points but it boils down to you guys are just getting screwed.
post #159 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

He obviously knows; 6 posts later, he congratulated your cited post (on that topic) with, "Best post ever!"

It was funny, but his anger was already building back in that post. He was warned of the rules and just kept on going and going and... I guess when someone has a sense of entitlement in one area it likely carries over to other areas.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I think the problem is that no phone company can afford "limitless" downloads. So "unlimited" has quite a different meaning.

I agree, and I hate the term but the buyer must also beware. I'm a big fan of the way several other countries are required by law to break out the details.

Remember when companies offered "unlimited/unlimited", referring to an unlimited data with no black out times? Unlimited means an unlimited amount of usage within your contract, and unlimited amount of data on the device in question. They make that clear. We don't have to like it; we can shop elsewhere. Free Market FTW.

Quote:
An iPhone uses much less data than a laptop.

Not for me, at least not for the last two years.

PS: The all-you-can-eat plans may come to an end with the next iPhone in order to prevent this. They may even offer the unlimited but raise the price if they find it too costly. If they do, I'm sure many will jump ship, but that is how the free market works.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #160 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: The all-you-can-eat plans may come to an end with the next iPhone in order to prevent this. They may even offer the unlimited but raise the price if they find it too costly. If they do, I'm sure many will jump ship, but that is how the free market works.

Good point. Once again, the saying goes. No one is forcing anyone to buy these things. I am pissed that Apple does not out-right allow tethering to the iPad. Noting is saying they won't later, but now the word is no. I am inconvenienced by having to carry another phone (Nokia N86 or soon to purchase N900) as my wifi hotspot creator but I have the choice not to. I can either bitch and moan or carry what I need to make things happen. When in the US, I get a prepaid data card from AT&T, put it in my Nokia, turn on JoikuSpot and have a mobile wifi access point. My MBP and iPhone are happy-happy. I do what I have to do to get by.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone